THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
Anfields5thKing
the_king
6 posters

GSP calles Koscheck a liar.

the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

GSP calles Koscheck a liar. Empty GSP calles Koscheck a liar.

Post  the_king Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:53 pm

Welterweight Champion Georges "Rush" St. Pierre will be the first to tell you he's not much of a trash talker. But while GSP isn't a fan of that part of the sport, when it's aimed at him he finds it more than welcome. When discussing his experience with UFC 124 opponent Josh Koscheck during the filming of this season's Ultimate Fighter, St. Pierre made it clear that Koscheck got to him a bit.

"He definitely got in my head, which is a good thing for me," St-Pierre said in a media conference call last week. "If you look at all the guys that I've fought in the past that have been very arrogant with me, I did very well."

St. Pierre also took to calling Koscheck a liar for the outspoken welterweight's descriptions of him as a "fake" persona in interviews, and claiming that he was fine going to Montreal for their fight in December.

"He's not happy at all [about going to Montreal]," St. Pierre said. He added later, "I never derail from the person that I am and what I stand for."

In addition, St. Pierre said Koscheck's lying about his contention that he'll look to keep their fight standing in December.

"A third lie in this interview right now is [him saying] he's going to keep the fight standing up," St. Pierre said. "Because I'm sure he's going to take me down. I'm ready for an eventuality [and it's] no problem."

And as far as the entirety of the comments are concerned, St. Pierre continued to contend that it all it would do it work in his favor.

"It's part of the mind games," he said. "Don't worry [Josh]. I'll be ready for you, man. I'm going to keep my wrestling sharp."

"When the time is to fight, I will have done my homework."

They will meet at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada on December 11 following the conclusion of the 12th season of The Ultimate Fighter.GSP calles Koscheck a liar. GeorgesStPierre_150b_43
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

GSP calles Koscheck a liar. Empty Re: GSP calles Koscheck a liar.

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:46 pm

I would like Kos to win this, and if he works his ass off and has his wrestling at it's best then he can win it. But I think GSP's stand-up is too good for Kos, who although he has more KO power than GSP, doesn't have the over-all skill set and years of training that GSP does.

I think Shields is beating the winner of this anyway.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:23 am

I hope GSP uses his stand up in this fight. Kos is risky to stand with because of his power but GSP used to be a very dangerous and at times devastating striker, but he hasn't shown that since the Serra fight. Aside from a big right hand, Kos posses little problems standing while GSP has dangerous kicks, decent muay thai and decent power as well. I think this will be pretty straight forward victory for GSP, he has shown he can take Kos down, he has excellent takedown defense and is the better stand up fighter.

I like Shields a LOT more than Kos but I don't like his chances against either Kos or GSP. Kos had a much better college wrestling career and I would give him the advantage standing. Shields has good BJJ ofc but I think Kos would be able to neutralize it.

I wouldn't give Shields a very good chance at all against GSP. GSP's take down defense is very good, hi takedowns are very good and he is much better standing than Shields is. I think that fight would go a lot like GSP vs Fitch went. I think I would give Fitch a good chance to beat Shields as well.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:02 pm

When i think of GSP-Shields i think back to GSP's first fight with Hughes, GSP's takedown defense is good against shots, but i think he struggles in the clinch. Shields dominated a much better clinch grappler in Hendo. I think he'll walk through GSP's punches and clinch him, and get him down. His top control is amazing.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:05 pm

so is sheilds a nailed on opponent for the winner of kos v GSP?
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:06 pm

sorry i forgot to put when he beats kampmann.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:07 pm

yeah, it looks that way.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:09 pm

i know shields is a phenomenal fighter not lost in years but is it right when a fighter switches from one promotion to another to get a title fight that soon.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:24 pm

in the last 3 years he beat:

Dan Henderson
    Mayhem Miller
    Robbie Lawler
    Paul Daley
    Nick Thompson
    Mike Pyle
    Renato Verrisimo

its not relevant where those fights happened, they were all MMA.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:27 pm

yeah i know im not taking that away from him but would other welterweights in ufc not approach dana this is purely a question.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:34 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:When i think of GSP-Shields i think back to GSP's first fight with Hughes, GSP's takedown defense is good against shots, but i think he struggles in the clinch. Shields dominated a much better clinch grappler in Hendo. I think he'll walk through GSP's punches and clinch him, and get him down. His top control is amazing.

Shields is going to get mauled on the feet. Shields is shit on the feet. He istn walking throught GSP's punches, Alves got beat on the feet by him. GSP is a lot quicker too I think Shields will have trouble clintching and I can imagine him wrecklessly charging GSP down wading through striks because GSP will hit a crazy head kick or a superman punch as he is moving forward. You forget how good GSP is on the feet, Hendo and Lawler nearly finsihed Shields standing.

What about Kos calling out Tito. He is really pissed off at Tito for his smack talk to Coleman. He says he walks around a solid 193lbs. Id love UFC to put on more catchweight fights. They are cool as a one off and SF's catchweight fights have had a lot of buzz round them.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:37 pm

aslong as ufc dont make catchweight fights too often there are a few great fights to be witnessed.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:06 am

rudeboyben84 wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:When i think of GSP-Shields i think back to GSP's first fight with Hughes, GSP's takedown defense is good against shots, but i think he struggles in the clinch. Shields dominated a much better clinch grappler in Hendo. I think he'll walk through GSP's punches and clinch him, and get him down. His top control is amazing.

Shields is going to get mauled on the feet. Shields is shit on the feet. He istn walking throught GSP's punches, Alves got beat on the feet by him. GSP is a lot quicker too I think Shields will have trouble clintching and I can imagine him wrecklessly charging GSP down wading through striks because GSP will hit a crazy head kick or a superman punch as he is moving forward. You forget how good GSP is on the feet, Hendo and Lawler nearly finsihed Shields standing.

What about Kos calling out Tito. He is really pissed off at Tito for his smack talk to Coleman. He says he walks around a solid 193lbs. Id love UFC to put on more catchweight fights. They are cool as a one off and SF's catchweight fights have had a lot of buzz round them.

Shields has a good chin, great recovery powers and Lawler never came close to finishing Shields!! He never even landed a decent shot. Shields was matching Lawlor in the stand-up.Lawlor even came out after and said Shields had good stand-up.

Hendo hit him as hard as he's ever hit anyone and Shields recovered, GSP's doesn't have anything like that sort of power. Shields will take his best shots and keep going and he's a superior grappler to GSP and he's longer than GSP and good off his back. GSP hasn't faced anyone yet who is excellent off their back and bigger than him.

I think Kos-Tito would be embarrassing. Kos would school him.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:10 am

I don't think Henderson is a better clinch grappler than GSP, he's been taken down by inferior wrestlers his whole career. Kondo, Ninja, Palhares, Bustamante, Misaki, Babalu all took him down, not to mention how many times he was taken down by Arona, Rampage, Nog and Shields. Where as you can pretty much count the times GSP has been taken down in fights on one hand.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:13 am

its an interesting fight...i guess Razz

i think GSP has the beating of him in the striking, but the only way he is KOing him is perhaps by making it like the fitch fight, but eventually wearing him down to a stoppage.
    of course there is always a chance he gets a flush head kick or knee on a takedown attempt or something.

but Sheilds has survived much harder hitters.

its mostly about the grappling side i think, Shields is a much superior submission artist, but im not sure about the wrestling, and this could be the key.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:16 am

You can count the amount of good clinch grapplers GSP has faced on 2 fingers, Fitch never got close enough to clinch and Hughes took him down.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:47 am

Shields takedowns really are not all that. He had nothing at all for Okami a few years back, and he was having trouble getting Daley down. Plus nearly every takedown Shields got against Henderson was a low single or double. I mean the clinch did really not come into it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 12:29 am