THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
manschesthair_utd
Anfields5thKing
poz
Moose Stuff For Money...
The_Axe_Emperor
9 posters

Shark Fights 13 Results

the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Shark Fights 13 Results - Page 2 Empty Re: Shark Fights 13 Results

Post  the_king Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:13 pm

i agree with most people on here that its a shame about jardine but it does look like he is done. with soko's record he has fought alot of fighters better than him but i agree very entertaining fighter.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:13 pm

In fairness to Daley, he only had 1 day to cut the weight since he couldn't get a USA visa until very late in proceedings.
    plus he wasnt allowed access to the official scales until the actual weigh in and his scales were 2 lbs out.

not making excuses, but just so you know Smile

I didn't know about that, and it certainly is an inconvenience but he still should have been in shape anyway, considering his training camp is in the UK.

I think yesterday was just poor preparation from Daley, he looked slow, quite gassed and so it was easy to take him down. Its his biggest weakness but I don't know Payne, how you can say he isn't legit top 10. For me he can be as high as 6 because he is better than most of the fighters above him. There is a clear area for him to improve, but at the end of the day, most of the guys who took him down are top, or very good wrestlers.

In the last 4 years, he has lost 3 times and they were to Kos, Shields and Thompson. ALl very good wrestlers and no shame being taken down from them. I've seen him shrug off takedowns before as well, he avoided Kampmanns with ease.

Is his wrestling a weakness? Ofc and it will cost him when he tries to break the top 5, but as a top 10 WW he should be fine. If he had good take down defense then he could be top 5 no problems.

I disagree with Aoki being one-dimensional as well. He has a glaring weakness in the standup because of his chin but the way he takes people down and immediately locks in a sub is a dimension of its own. I don't think his stand-up is shocking, he has used it to win some fights, he just has no power and no chin.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:54 pm

Moose Stuff For Money... wrote:Don Frye's 20 best quotes...

20. To Rutten: "I know you love me, dontcha sweetheart?"

19. On Danillo Villefort: "How old is that boy?"

18. When Kruck mistakenly called Frye "Bas": "No, I'm Don. Bas is the ugly guy with no hair."

17. On Johnny Rees Rees and Paul Bradley both wearing red trunks: "I'll take the white guy in the red shorts."

16. On the staredown between Rees and Bradley: "Like a couple of tribal Vikings out there. Blond hair, blue eyes ..."

15. To Kruck and Rutten at the end of the night: "Great to be here with you ladies."

14. On referee Kerry Hatley stepping in front of the camera angle: "Get Kerry's ass out of the way and we can see the fight."

13. On the difficulty of finding an MMA fight in France: "I didn't know France was ever in a fight. ... I heard Italy just declared war on Spain, and France surrendered."

12. On Alexander after he survived a barrage from Sokoudjou in Round 1: "He's still a little wobbly on his feet, ya know? Either that or he's got good rhythm."

11. On Bradley: "He's built like a brick s**thouse, ain't he?"

10. On something we're still trying to figure out: "Skin like a mule's ass."

9. On Brock Larson's unanimous decision loss and Frye's continued theory he may have been ill: "I'd like to hear if something was wrong with him tomorrow (instead of right after the fight). You don't want the Tito Ortiz list of excuses here. No one respects that."

8. On a promo spot for a charity for U.S. troops on the ninth anniversary of 9/11: "Get out your wallets, ya cheap bastards, and give 'em some money."

7. After the fights, while straight man/babysitter Kruck was still on his way back to the broadcast table from a post-fight interview with Trevor Prangley: "That was like two hours of rough, hard sex. I need a cigarette and a tequila now."

6. On Keith Jardine's stance: "He's so awkward. He's like a rabid octopus. He looks like he's about to fall over at any time." Fortunately, Kruck didn't point out to him that an octopus, as a cold-blooded animal, cannot get rabies.

5. Obviously no stranger to viral video sensation "Double Rainbow Guy," during a particularly memorable exchange with Rutten: "Double rainbow! Triple rainbow! Double secret probation! ... No, no, no, it's gonna go into triple double overtime!" Kruck saved the day by reminding the viewers, and Frye, "There is no overtime in Shark Fights."

4. During a discussion with Rutten over their records: "I started counting fights when I'd come home drunk and knock my old lady around," to which Kruck, ever the straight-man, quickly covered for him by saying, "I bet she's got a few wins over you, too."

3. On his background as a wrestler: "Look at me: I'm a wrestler. My balls are so big, I wear the excess on my hat."

2. On cauliflower ear: "This guy's tough. His ears are like potatoes. Looks like he got stuck in the birth canal, had to beat him out with a stick."

1. On the preliminary card fights: "That was like prison sex: hard, sweaty, violent and there was a lot of noise."
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/09/12/shark-fights-13-the-don-frye-experience/

The UFC or Strikeforce need to sign him up right now as a commentator. Brilliant!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:05 pm

Well thats just my opinion and i base it on,I beleive fighters have sussed him out and the fear factor of his striking games has wained,like it does for many feared strikers in the end.

In his last two fight he got taken down with ease against two guys who can't be credited with being,very good wrestlers,masvidal is a LW striker,Kos took the piss with ease,but theres zero shame in that,hazelett fought a terrible gameplan and tried to stand with him,kampman also tried to stand with him,like he does with most and got caught,again i put that down to him,using the wrong gameplan,I think he would of had an easy time with him if he had just concentrated on taking him down from the off to win the fight,which I think most fighters will do against him now,and Sheilds(again no shame there),the goat and even Alessio had no problems taking him down and controlling him,it's a really big hole in his game,that i think can very easily be exploited by even guys with the most minimal takedowns.

I do agree that if he can sort it out,he would be top 10 no problems,but i honestly don't think he will,he's to arrogant to admitt it's a problem and would prefer to blame the rules and other fighters instead of admitting to his own short comings.

he always has a shot,everytime they get made to stand or start each rd,due to his power and good stand up,but personally I think he can only get away with that so many times,and more than likely,the chances of him getting taken down and controlled,due to his terrible takedown defence will be far more likely.

I see the chances of Daley losing to a lower ranked fighter,far more likely than it happening to anyone else in the top 10 of his division and see the likelyhood of him stringing together a run of wins over top ranked opposition without losing,very unlikely,due to his massive hole in his game,so this is why i don't consider he is and don't think he will be a top 10 WW.

But again this is just my opinion,which judging by the time I've been on here definitely doesn't sit favourably with some Laughing

Like I said before,I can't see any stand up fighter,with really bad takedown defence,being a top 10 fighter in todays game.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:38 pm

Don't know what you mean with this
    I beleive fighters have sussed him out and the fear factor of his striking games has wained,like it does for many feared strikers in the end.

His striking is still as feared as ever, that's why they they take him down.

I agree the last two weren't good wrestlers but again I think its down to him being lazy. He looked slow and gassed in both fights, if he trained properly I really don't think either guy would be a problem for him.

I agree Hazelett fought stupid but that's hardly Daley's fault. Kampmann didn't just get caught, he got absolutely murdered in the standup and outclassed. He tried to go for a takedown after but it was too late. Shields, Kos and the goat are all good wrestler. He probably should have beat the goat but the Thompson was in great form then. He got taken down by lesser opponents but he got back up and destroyed them. Alessio is a decent wrestler and a very experienced fighter. If he lost it would have been embarrassing but getting taken down by him, its not the worst thing in the world.

I agree about his arrogance though, its holding him back in some ways. I also agree about him being more likely to lose to guys outside the top 10 than anyone else but I do think he has potentiol to be a much better fighter.

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:29 pm

I mean by that statement,that because this game is mostly mental,some fighters were hesitant to shoot or go straight on the front foot against him out of fear of getting clipped on the way in,plus they didn't realise just how easy and effective it was to put him on his back,so they always seemed to start off on the back foot allowing daley to initiate his gameplan from the off,where as now,after watching others have success at putting him on his back so easily,the intimidation seems to have wore off for his opponents.
    Of coarse they still have to respect his power,and do this in a smart way,but it's the same as in anything,once you have seen others do it easily,the hesitation and fear is not so overwhelming.

my point with Kampman was again,it was a terrible gameplan to go in with against daley,it was the wrong thing to do,trying to trade with daley,he should of concentrated purely on getting him down first,instead of like you say trading,getting murdered and then not being physically or mentally able to execute,what should of been an easy task of taking him down,grinding him down and getting the easier win.

But thats a problem with alot of fighters,it's great for us fans and i wouldn't want him to change that,being a fan,when guys like Kampmann want to entertain and put on a show,but looking back on it,this IMO was a loss on his record that shouldn't have been there,if he had just fought smart and just went for the easiest way to win,instead of trying to put on a show.

Look i might be being a little over critical of him,because i won't lie,not long ago I was really impressed with him,it was hard not to watching him Ko'ing people silly and I was also of the opinion that he would easily be a top 10 fighter,but thats before i got over the WOW factor and started to really see just how bad the weak parts of his game really were and actually how many big holes he has in his game,that I personally think can be easily exploited,by not just the top guys but even some of the gatekeeper standard fighters in the top Orgs.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:14 am