THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
manschesthair_utd
Anfields5thKing
poz
Moose Stuff For Money...
The_Axe_Emperor
9 posters

Shark Fights 13 Results

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Shark Fights 13 Results Empty Shark Fights 13 Results

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:55 am

Main card

Light Heavyweight bout: Keith Jardine vs. Trevor Prangley
    Prangley defeated Jardine via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28).

Jardine has now lost 5 in a row, and is 2-7 in his last 9 fights. IMO he has to consider retiring because he simply cant hang with top fighters anymore, and Prangley is hardly even a top fighter.

Light Heavyweight bout: Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou vs. Houston Alexander
    Alexander defeated Sokoudjou via TKO (punches) at 1:31 of round 2.

All i will say about this fight is: WATCH IT!

Catchweight (171.75) bout: Paul Daley vs. Jorge Masvidal
    Daley defeated Masvidal via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28).

Middleweight bout: Joey Villaseñor vs. Danillo Villefort
    Villefort defeated Villaseñor via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).

Welterweight bout: Brock Larson vs. Tarec Saffiedine
    Saffiedine defeated Larson via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).

Middleweight bout: Paul Bradley vs. Johnny Rees
    Bradley defeated Rees via submission (rear naked choke) at 4:28 of round 1.

Preliminary card (Sherdog.com Live Stream)

Featherweight Championship bout: Douglas Evans (c) vs. Ronnie Mann
    Mann defeated Evans via split decision (47-48, 48-47, 48-47) to become the new Featherweight Champion.

Heavyweight bout: Devin Cole vs. Aaron Rosa
    Rosa defeated Cole via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28).

Lightweight bout: Karen Darabedyan vs. Daniel Straus
    Straus defeated Darabedyan via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).

Catchweight (176.5) bout: Pete Spratt vs. Eric Davila
    Davila defeated Spratt via submission (guillotine choke) at 3:49 of round 2.

Good card all in all with some good fights. I will try find the videos for it later on, unless Moose_Stuff_For_Money beats me to it Laughing
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Shark Fights 13 Results Empty Re: Shark Fights 13 Results

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:41 am

Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:42 am

Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:43 am

Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:44 am

Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:44 am

Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:45 am

Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:45 am

poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:32 am

Wow, that Alexander fight could almost be put on the comebacks thread! Great stuff
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:20 pm

Laughing Knew you would Moose! Cheers though mate.

Jardine says hes gonna carry on fighting.

http://www.sherdog.com/videos/recent/Defeated-Jardine-Ill-Keep-Fighting-2629
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:53 pm

It's such a shame that Alexander didn't become a full time fighter until 2007 when he was 35. With his natural power and athleticism if he'd been able to commit to it 10 years earlier and develop a ground game to go with what he had, he could have been a major force in the early and mid 00s.

Cheers for the videos Moose.

Last edited by Anfields5thKing on Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:37 pm

Soko is easily top 10...

.....for first 3 minutes Razz
    he has so much skills, he has huge power in his punches and kicks, its rare to see a better fighter in the clinch....his balance is almost incredible, as witnessed in the mousasi fight.

...but no gas tank.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:44 pm

on the subject of Jardine, is he regained the standing he once had (top 5ish), it would be one of the greatest career comebacks.

Though not quite as good as Coleman, who went from #1 heavyweight to irrelevancy and losing 4 on the bounce....back to #1 heavyweight again.

But probably better than the other one that springs to mind which is Vitor, who went from being champ of the UFC to being irrelevant fighter with no gas tank or wrestling and even worse heart, via losing 5 of 7 (only 2 wins over 2 guys who are essentially cans).
    now is back in world title contendership.

Another one is Overeem who lost 5 of 7, since has gone 9 unbeaten.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:55 pm

Overeem was a lot younger than Jardine though, and he was killing himself cutting weight.

Vitor's return to prominence is not deserved and once he gets either blanketed by Okami, smashed by Sonnen or KO'd by Silva, he will disappear into obscurity.

Jardine is done i'm afraid.

Agree completely on Soko. His skill set is amazing. Great power, great kicks, incredible grappling, clinch work second to none. His problems are not being able to fight off his back and have a Carwin-sized gas tank.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:23 pm

Wow Daley is a lucky guy.

I had rd 1 a draw, rd 2 for Masvidal and rd3 was for Masvidal until that late flurry from Daley.

It could have gone either way this fight i think.....

Its a shame Jardine lost again though, he looks done im afraid.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:18 pm

you are nuts man.

This was a clear and dominant win for Daley.

Masvidal did nothing in this fight!!!....

most of the takedowns he got were totally useless since Daley got straight back up, and the ones where he didnt, Masvidal did not do any damage, pass the guard, attempt submissions...anything!!

Daley was pushing the pace for the entire fight, i would like to see a fightmetric strike count or whatever, because it was all one way traffic to be honest.
    and the end of the fight just sealed it, Daley was looking for the finish, and almost got it....this is something his opponent did at no point in the fight.

good win, with that said, he looked off, slower and i think thats down to the weight cutting
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:49 pm

Poor Jardine, he really looks finished now. He started the fight terribly, he came back well but I was quite surprised it was split, I thought it was a clear victory for Prangley.

I keep putting faith in Soku, but he keeps letting me down. I really thought at one point he could become a top LHW but his conditioning is laughable. I don't know if he can comeback from this loss against a pretty poor opponent. No disrespect to Alexander but Soku really should be beating him. I guess those victories over Lil Nog and Arona really were just lucky shots. Credit to Alexander for gutting it out though, he isn't a great fighter but he is always exciting and seems like a real nice guy.

I thought Daley beat Masdival clearly but it wasn't a good performance by any means. He needs to stop being so lazy and cut his weight right, I think going to a gym like Jackson's which works on fitness would be a good move for Daley. Just for a while so he can get in shape because in shape he could be a top 5 WW.

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:55 pm

In fairness to Daley, he only had 1 day to cut the weight since he couldn't get a USA visa until very late in proceedings.
    plus he wasnt allowed access to the official scales until the actual weigh in and his scales were 2 lbs out.

not making excuses, but just so you know Smile
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:04 pm

Don Frye's 20 best quotes...

20. To Rutten: "I know you love me, dontcha sweetheart?"

19. On Danillo Villefort: "How old is that boy?"

18. When Kruck mistakenly called Frye "Bas": "No, I'm Don. Bas is the ugly guy with no hair."

17. On Johnny Rees Rees and Paul Bradley both wearing red trunks: "I'll take the white guy in the red shorts."

16. On the staredown between Rees and Bradley: "Like a couple of tribal Vikings out there. Blond hair, blue eyes ..."

15. To Kruck and Rutten at the end of the night: "Great to be here with you ladies."

14. On referee Kerry Hatley stepping in front of the camera angle: "Get Kerry's ass out of the way and we can see the fight."

13. On the difficulty of finding an MMA fight in France: "I didn't know France was ever in a fight. ... I heard Italy just declared war on Spain, and France surrendered."

12. On Alexander after he survived a barrage from Sokoudjou in Round 1: "He's still a little wobbly on his feet, ya know? Either that or he's got good rhythm."

11. On Bradley: "He's built like a brick s**thouse, ain't he?"

10. On something we're still trying to figure out: "Skin like a mule's ass."

9. On Brock Larson's unanimous decision loss and Frye's continued theory he may have been ill: "I'd like to hear if something was wrong with him tomorrow (instead of right after the fight). You don't want the Tito Ortiz list of excuses here. No one respects that."

8. On a promo spot for a charity for U.S. troops on the ninth anniversary of 9/11: "Get out your wallets, ya cheap bastards, and give 'em some money."

7. After the fights, while straight man/babysitter Kruck was still on his way back to the broadcast table from a post-fight interview with Trevor Prangley: "That was like two hours of rough, hard sex. I need a cigarette and a tequila now."

6. On Keith Jardine's stance: "He's so awkward. He's like a rabid octopus. He looks like he's about to fall over at any time." Fortunately, Kruck didn't point out to him that an octopus, as a cold-blooded animal, cannot get rabies.

5. Obviously no stranger to viral video sensation "Double Rainbow Guy," during a particularly memorable exchange with Rutten: "Double rainbow! Triple rainbow! Double secret probation! ... No, no, no, it's gonna go into triple double overtime!" Kruck saved the day by reminding the viewers, and Frye, "There is no overtime in Shark Fights."

4. During a discussion with Rutten over their records: "I started counting fights when I'd come home drunk and knock my old lady around," to which Kruck, ever the straight-man, quickly covered for him by saying, "I bet she's got a few wins over you, too."

3. On his background as a wrestler: "Look at me: I'm a wrestler. My balls are so big, I wear the excess on my hat."

2. On cauliflower ear: "This guy's tough. His ears are like potatoes. Looks like he got stuck in the birth canal, had to beat him out with a stick."

1. On the preliminary card fights: "That was like prison sex: hard, sweaty, violent and there was a lot of noise."
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/09/12/shark-fights-13-the-don-frye-experience/
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:40 pm

He also came out with one about the sweet sweat advertisment on Ronnie Manns shorts

Bas said something like "what is sweet sweat,what's it advertising"

Frye replied "it's the stuff around my scrotum"
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:53 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:you are nuts man.

This was a clear and dominant win for Daley.

Masvidal did nothing in this fight!!!....

most of the takedowns he got were totally useless since Daley got straight back up, and the ones where he didnt, Masvidal did not do any damage, pass the guard, attempt submissions...anything!!

Daley was pushing the pace for the entire fight, i would like to see a fightmetric strike count or whatever, because it was all one way traffic to be honest.
    and the end of the fight just sealed it, Daley was looking for the finish, and almost got it....this is something his opponent did at no point in the fight.

good win, with that said, he looked off, slower and i think thats down to the weight cutting

Your crazy if u that was a dominant win for Daley !!

Daley and his corner thought that it was 1-1 going into the final round, and he was loosing rd 3 on points until that late flurry.

“I thought I got the first, and he got the second, and my corner thought the same thing. They sat me down, and they said, ‘Look, you’ve got to go in this round. It’s 1-1. You’ve got to push the pace.’ I think that’s what I did, and I think that’s why I won the fight

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/2010/09/12/paul-daley-admits-using-a-takedown-to-win-at-shark-fights-13-was-a-little-ironic-after-recent-talk/

He pretty much says that the take down at the end and gnp is what decided the fight...
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:27 pm

i can understand giving the second round to Masvidal based on no effective strikes really happening in the round (if they did they were from paul) , or submission attempts, but Masvidal was being aggressive with takedowns.

so OK perhaps its 1-1 going into the last round, which was clearly in favour of Daley.
    maybe not so dominant, that was an error which i wrote, but how is it unclear??

1st and 3rd were the clear rounds, 2nd possibly edging for Masvidal.

anyway, i am not going to say anything more about it...
    because i'm not certain how the stupid system they have in place would score the fight...but by a proper way to judge who won a fight there is only 1 clear outcome.

who tried to finish the fight? (paul)
    who was closest to finishing? (paul)
    who was the agressor for the majority? (paul)
    who was more effective striker? (paul)
    who was more effective grappler? (jorge, but he was still uneffective)
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:33 pm

I think Daley got exposed again and that fight was hardly what I'd call a clear and dominate performance from him.(just saw you retracted the dominant piece)

Every fighter he comes across with even the slightest knowledge of takedowns is going to continue to exploit his terrible weakness in MMA,now it's be exposed so badly lately.

Some of those takedowns were so easy it was laughable and there is no way he will ever be considered a legit top 10 fighter,when everyone now knows the easiest way how to beat him.

move,move,shoot and get the easy takedown,rinse and repeat,it might be a boring cheesy way to win,but add someone with a resonble ground and pound game,then he has no chance,except the big shot while they are standing(which he hasn't been able to do to either of his last two,less than stella opposition)

Yes Masvidal didn't do anything with the takedowns,but he got them,and as much as anyone doesn't like them,they do score pts,he's a LW striker with hardly any ground game himself,who's never been in with a better,bigger striker before,so he had to resort to a style that he's unformiliar and not overly effective with to try and win the fight,(he's there to win a fight,standing and trying to trade with daley would of been a fools errand)he only has one sub victory in his career,yet dispite his lack of experiance fighting that way,he had zero problems resorting to that gameplan and taking Daley down.

I personaly think daley edged it,because of his constant pressure and the fact that when he took masvidal down,he actually tried to finish from it,but for me,if masvidal had just thrown maybe 5 or 6 shots from the top,each time he got his takedowns,he would of won the first two rds and coasted in the last rd to victory.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:39 pm

anyone with a good knowledge of striking can knock out aoki...so he can't be a legit top 10 fighter right? Rolling Eyes

one dimensional fighters (either ko or submission artists) can still be top fighters, its just the case that they are very beatable...its also the case that they can be the most dangerous fighters. cheers
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:06 pm

What are you talking about,can you seriously not see the differance or are you just having a silly pop.

Having a weak chin,compared to having zero takedown defence are completely differant things in this sport.

A striker needs to land that shot before some one like Aoki closes the distance and grabs a hold of you,which is a very very small window of oportunity(otherwise we would see it all the time)where as taking someone down with zero takedown defence is probably the easiest move in MMA,thats why we do keep seeing it happen so often)thats why 90% of all MMA fights go to the ground at some stage,it's not rocket science mate.

So yes obviously one dimensional strikers or grapplers can get to the top,there has been,and still is,very successfull one dimensional grapplers in the sport,but you name me a single,one dimensional striker thats been successful and has got to the top with a takedown defence as bad as Daleys.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 10:52 pm