THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
Moose Stuff For Money...
manschesthair_utd
sunthunder
redmeanie77
8 posters

Kimbo slice confirms switch to boxing !!

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Kimbo slice confirms switch to boxing !! Empty Kimbo slice confirms switch to boxing !!

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:21 am

Former UFC heavyweight and “Ultimate Fighter” reality show star, “Kimbo Slice” has confirmed he’s about to make the switch to the world of boxing and is convinced he can do some damage while he’s there.
    Speaking via ESPNNewYork.com, the former street fighter said:

“I feel like a baby all over again. I’m thinking about this at night. I’m gonna be a problem in the heavyweight division. I’m going to be coming in with a bad demeanor. I want to see what it’s like to break some ribs, break a jaw with one punch. This is a career move. I love fighting. I like to knock people the [expletive] out. I love engaging. Maybe some people think I’m crazy.”

“I’m safety first driving, wear my seatbelt. Not in the ring. These fighters these days, they’re complacent, lazy. I’m hungry. I just dropped three of my kids off at tutoring. It’s expensive!”

Gary Shaw, “Kimbo’s” ex boss at EliteXC also had a few things to say about the switch, something he’s been lobbying for over a number of years.

“He could easily be at the same level as guys the Klitschkos have been fighting. Maybe I’m wrong, maybe he’s coming to boxing too late, but I don’t think so. He’s not a beaten up athlete. He’s a natural, with that bob and weave like Mike Tyson.”

“I’ve always said he could be a world champion. I believe in that more than ever. This is not the era of Tyson, Holyfield and Lennox Lewis.”

“Kimbo’s” career with the UFC was cut short when he was dismantled by fellow reality show star, Matt Mitrione at UFC 113 in May. His sole win inside the octagon came via decision against Houston Alexander

There were rumours about this for awhile so not a complete shock, but still suprised he did not join SF or any other MMA promotion . I think his knee could be a problem for him in MMA. Cant take alot of kicks from the HW there.

your thoughts?
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Kimbo slice confirms switch to boxing !! Empty Re: Kimbo slice confirms switch to boxing !!

Post  sunthunder Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:10 am

Some of what Gary Shaw's been smoking please.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Kimbo slice confirms switch to boxing !! Empty Re: Kimbo slice confirms switch to boxing !!

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:21 am

Laughing

Could u believe i only just now read his comments. Haha !
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:48 pm

he will probably fail badly, but if he is intent on fighting professionally, its a good move, considering his serious knee problems.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:59 pm

If he actually believes Kimbo could be a contender he must have seen something nobody else has. I'd put it down as hype talk to try and get a few more bucks from the Kimbo cash cow.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:05 pm

Whats the weight limits for boxing, would he be HW?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:36 pm

yeah, he'd be a HW. If he's smart he'd cut to CruiserWeight. He could do ok at CW. He'll get destroyed at HW.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:44 pm

Oh dear god, can you imagine Kimbo vs Haye, or dare i say it, Kimbo vs Klitscho!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:57 pm

Kimbo gassed something shocking cutting to 215lbs, He wasnt sure he could make 205 in MMA so I think 200lbs is too much for him. Considering Kimbo used to weight 270lbs or something I hear!

Roy Jones JR said if Kimbo strung togeather a few wins that he would fight him!

To be honest Boxing is the type of sport that they should be able to find a handfull of fighters with 1-12 records and the likes to feed to Kimbo, guys with no KO's on their record and a lot of KO losses.

I think they will go down this path and Kimbo will still get KO'd by a journeyman with a loosing record, He couldnt trade punches with Sean Gannon so I dont know what makes him think he will be able to trade with a pro boxer Rolling Eyes
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:05 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Roy Jones JR said if Kimbo strung togeather a few wins that he would fight him!
    It would be a sad day if Kimbo beat Roy Jones Jnr, which considering Jones' recent fights wouldn't be impossible.
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:58 pm

Give him Audley, I would watch that out of curiosity, or even Butterbean would be a laugh while it lasts.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 6:27 pm