THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
Paolo_73
Anfields5thKing
rudeboyben84
Moose Stuff For Money...
8 posters

GSP considering a permanent switch to middleweight

Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

GSP considering a permanent switch to middleweight Empty GSP considering a permanent switch to middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:58 pm

I'd like to see GSP move up, he's beaten all his main challengers at welterweight and I can't see him losing anytime soon. He states that one of the drawbacks of moving up is the number of friends and training partners he has in the weight class who he won't fight. Unfortunately this would rule out potential matchups in the UFC against contenders Nate Marquardt and Patrick Cote.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/01/17/georges-st-pierre-mulls-permanent-move-to-middleweight/
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

GSP considering a permanent switch to middleweight Empty Re: GSP considering a permanent switch to middleweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:04 pm

GSP vs Vitor? GSP vs Anderson? GSP vs Wanderlei? GSP vs Palhares or Okami to even start him off at 185lbs. There a few Id love to see. Hope it happens.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

GSP considering a permanent switch to middleweight Empty Re: GSP considering a permanent switch to middleweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:55 pm

The problem is, if he can't take down Vitor, Wanderlei or Anderson Silva, who are all much bigger men than him, he's going to sleep.

They should start him off with Bisping. Big MW, decent takedown defense, no power. Be a good test to see how he gets on.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:32 am

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Anfield, there's a compliment in there!!!

"decent takedown defense"

I can't believe this is happening........ next you'll be inviting Kaldog round for a beer!
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:20 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:The problem is, if he can't take down Vitor, Wanderlei or Anderson Silva, who are all much bigger men than him, he's going to sleep.

They should start him off with Bisping. Big MW, decent takedown defense, no power. Be a good test to see how he gets on.

I would love to see this happen, not for the competition, but to see Bisping get absolutely CREAMED. The size difference would have no effect on this fight.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:46 pm

First of all he really needs to put on some weight for this to happen, height wise he is fine but he needs to gain a little more weight, to the point where he needs to cut to MW and go into the fight over 185 pounds.

Im all for it honestly and I think he can do really well. There is no one in that division he can not takedown. First thing that needs to happen is that Nate has to be in a position where he can not compete for the title, which im not sure will happen anytime soon. I think he gets the winner of Belfort/Silva and I do think he has a chance to beat both.

If that doesn't happen, then GSP has his chance. He has faced bigger fighters before, look no further than T Alves who is probably bigger than Belfort and Wandy! GSP takes down Evans, Nate and Jardine easily in training I think he can take down most of the guys, if not all in the MW division. Outside Belcher no one is really going to dwarf him and GSP would defeat Belcher in two rounds.

I really think he can beat A Silva, Silva's takedown defence really is non-existant, he was takendown by Lutter and mounted and Lutter is a small MW. He has to watch out for the stand up factor but on the ground he will be able to control Silva for five rounds.

As shocking as Anfield giving Bitchping a compliment like that may seem, it is true, Bisping actually has some pretty decent takedown defence. However he will not stop the takedowns of GSP.

GSP vs Sexyama would be a good first match up.

Also, what happens to the WW title? DOes GSP get to keep it or will he vacate it in order to fight full time in the MW division? If he does vacete it who do you reckon gets the chance at it?

In the next few months GSP fights Hardy (Im very confident GSP will win) Fitch takes on Alves (no idea) and Kos takes on Daley (I think Kos wins). If that happens, GSP has already beaten both opponents so he can move to MW meaning that the winner of Fitch/Alves takes on Kos for the WW title. If Daley wins, GSP might just stay to batter him.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:47 pm

Forgot to add if GSP moves up, it gives BJ a chance to move back up and try to win the WW title again.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:24 pm

Agree with most of what you said, although i'm not sure Travis Lutter is a small MW. I'm pretty sure i heard he cuts about 30lbs or so.

Speaking of Lutter, he really is an idiot. I was watching him vs Silva earlier and i was thinking, you bust your ass to win a show and get a title shot against someone who you have the skillset to beat because of your decent chin, good wrestling and great BJJ. You have over a year to prepare your body for this fight, and you miss weight! Like, what the fuck are you thinking?
    George_Louis_Costanza@who
    George_Louis_Costanza@who
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:29 pm

I hope so i think GSP could make the jump with ease a fight with Sonnen if he loose to Nate would make sense to me or even the winner of Maia vs Miller
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:31 pm

Sonnen is a big strong guy and a great wrestler. GSP should prob avoid someone like him until he's comfortable at the weight.

I really think the Cunt is the best option.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:16 pm

I agree about Sonnen, he is a very large MW with very good wrestling. I still think GSP could beat him but he is a tough fight.

Your right about Lutter, he didn't look that big against Silva or Franklin but he does cut a lot of weight. He really is an idiot for missing weight, the most important fight of his life, a chance he didn't even deserve and a fight he could have won and he fucks it all up. Awful. He was actually beating Silva, he easily won the first round I beleive he had him mounted and was firing away shots, its a complete myth that Hendo was the first man to win a round off Silva in the UFC because Lutter easily won that round. He then go sloppy and got caught by a basic triangle and was caught with elbows.

Funny thing is he was beating Franklin as well, had him in a really deep armbar I think and again fucked up.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm

Yeah, it's probably just fat that Lutter cuts to be honest.

Rich Franklin might be another good test for GSP at 185.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:53 pm

I would cry if GSP fought Franklin, I really hate it when two of my favourite fighters are paired up. It would be a really good matchup though.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:05 am

Fixed up your avater pretty quickly there Chelsea! Very Happy
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:43 am

I think GSP is up to 195lbs for his walkabout weight, Anything over 200lbs makes him a decent sized Mw, Wanderlei's walkabut weight is 203lbs these days so only 8lbs between them.

I think GSP would beat Anderson, GSP's wrestling will be the difference pluse GSP seems to be impvoving faster than Anderson. I think he wins a head to head with Silva. I think a few of the biggers 185ers could cause him trouble and with NAte getting a shot if he beats SOnnen GSP might just leave changing weight if NAte captures the belt.

Id like to see him fight some 185ers or have some catchweight fights to keep his options open if the 170lbs devision grows stale
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:39 pm

Anderson beats Nate for me, and I could see him finishing GSP. Although GSP is a great wrestler he's struggling to finish fights recently (I'm going to get a ear bashing ha ha!) Anderson has alot of knock out power, and in a 5 round fight it would just take one connection to rock GSP and the fights over! His knees are brutal and I could see GSP going for a takedown and getting one in the mouth!

I all for GSP to jump up would be great to see if he could achieve there, which im sure he would!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:29 am