THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
sunthunder
efils_god
kavik2
redmeanie77
payneNglory1
9 posters

Patrick Cote: Michael Bisping is “arrogant and over-rated.”

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Patrick Cote: Michael Bisping is “arrogant and over-rated.”  Empty Patrick Cote: Michael Bisping is “arrogant and over-rated.”

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:25 am

First Bisping has a pop at Sonnen after his loss and now he's in a battle of words with Cote. Very Happy (I just don't see why they all seem to think Bisping is arrogant Wink )

I think Bisping should spend more time concentrating on his fight with the sexy one personally,since Akiyama won't be having a year or so off inbetween fights this time and should be in good shape.

I think no matter what the outcome of there next fights,it looks like a future fight between Cote and Bisping is on the horizon.

I think if Bisping beats Akiyama and Cote,he might get an undeserved title shot.Though he might hopefully have to rematch Wandi first,if he gets Sonnen,then theres no way he gets a shot,as Cheal beats him hands down IMO.

Anyway this is what Cote and Bisping have been saying to each other.

It’s fairly common for a fighter to fire a few verbal jabs at a fellow Mixed Martial Artist while preparing for an upcoming bout. However, the target of the trash-talk usually tends to be their actual opponent.

UFC middleweights Patrick Cote and Michael Bisping, both readying for their own respective match-ups at different future events, recently broke the aforementioned mold and have been engaged in an ongoing war of words through a series of conversations with Fighters Only Magazine.

The first shot was fired by Cote, who was asked about a potential scrap with Bisping and responded, “I’m not a big fan of him and I’ve asked for this fight since two years ago. I think we can make an awesome fight.” When pressed to elaborate on his dislike of “The Count”, the hard-hitting Canadian striker responded, “No reason. I just think he’s arrogant and over-rated. I just don’t like him.”

A few days later, Bisping was questioned about Cote’s statements and his reply, as fans might expect, was less than cordial.

“I think that’s pretty two-faced of him to be honest. I have met him a few times and he has been nothing but nice to me – to my face anyway. I’m surprised but not going to lose any sleep over it. Maybe all that horse meat has gone to his head. If he wants to try and make himself relevant again by trying to talk himself into a fight with me he can do (it), his time is his own. Personally if I was him I would spend it in the gym learning how not to get dumped on my head.”

Cote wasted no time responding to Bisping’s “cheap shots”, again talking to Fighters Only, and made sure to clarify the extent of having met the Ultimate Fighter Season 3 champion.

Said Cote, “Listen, we never had a conversation or something like that. We just met somewhere a couple times and I wasn’t nice to him, I was polite because I’m educated. Just because I don’t spit in your face doesn’t mean that I like you.”

The 30-year old striker also commented on the Brit’s closing remarks. On the subject of eating horse meat, Cote responded, “In TUF Season 4 I asked for horse meat and they said in the USA they don’t eat horse meat…it’s illegal. Fair enough, no problem. At least he remembers that from me in TUF. People already forgot that he was a coach [on the show] a couple years ago.”

Also, as far as Bisping’s advice in regards to avoid being dropped on his head (as was the case in his recent semi-controversial loss to Alan Belcher last May), Cote offered a training suggestion of his own.

“It’s funny, how can you learn to not get dumped on your head…by practicing a pile-driver again and again? I can say he should go to the gym and learn how to move on the good side to avoid being knocked out cold.”

Though the two are not slated to fight it stands to reason they could have a future date in the Octagon based on their developing grudge and upcoming schedule of activity. Bisping faces Yoshishiro Akiyama in London as the main event of UFC 120 in mid-October, while Cote takes on Tom Lawlor at UFC 121 a week later.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Patrick Cote: Michael Bisping is “arrogant and over-rated.”  Empty Re: Patrick Cote: Michael Bisping is “arrogant and over-rated.”

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:46 am

You know Bispings mouth is going to get him fights against much higher ranked opponents he has no business fighting like Cote and Sonnen.

Hopefully Sexyama brings him down a peg, cos if Bisping wins he will get a contender fight for the title. affraid
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Patrick Cote: Michael Bisping is “arrogant and over-rated.”  Empty Re: Patrick Cote: Michael Bisping is “arrogant and over-rated.”

Post  kavik2 Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:07 pm

Why has bisping no right to be fighting Cote? Fair enough with Sonnen who has fought Maia, Marquedt and Silva last 3 fights, but Cote has not been operating at a highler level, getting beat by a IMO overated Belcher puts him below bisping IMO.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:06 pm

Not sure i agree, i think Belcher is under-rated and would beat Bisping for sure. Also, Coté was just back from a long lay off let's not forget, and has fought for the title (earned or not) where he was not being embarrassed by Silva until he did his knee.

That said i think if Bisping beats Akiyama (which i can see, unfortunately....) then a fight like Cote would be available. He'd have no chance against Patrick though
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:23 pm

Belcher does nothing for me, I really dont get why people rate him so highly. I know Bisping is a complete COUNT, but I think he is a bit better than people give him credit for, he isn't brilliant in any area granted, but he is a good all rounder IMO, never a top ten in any division but not as SHIIIIIIITE as people try to make out.

I think Bisping could beat both Belcher and Cote, using similar tactics to the Leben fight.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:45 pm

I think Akiyama has a shot against Bisping. Bisping's chin is far from solid and Akiyama can crack, he was landing power shots on Leben beyond anything Bisping was able to do. Having said that, he really needs to address his shocking cardio, and his only true path to success may be dropping to 170.

Otherwise, agree with Cote, Bisping is a total dick who really has no right to talk shit on anyone considering his best win is Chris Leben. He's the most coddled fighter in the sport, put in favourable fights he should win or legit top level guys. It's a smart way of preserving his hype without actually having him face fighters about his level who would expose him for the gatekeeper he is.

Can't wait to have Hathaway progress more, be great to have a legit respectful British fighter who doesn't feel the need to indiscriminately call everyone a fag.

kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:08 pm

Putting myself out on a limb here, and I know I am in the minority, but to answer the last point, Bisping was in a close split decision loss to rashad evans, who is now rated top 3 or 4 LH. It was also a close fight against wandy(I know he is past his best).

He was also ahead on points in the Henderson fight until the moment he found himself staring at the ceiling lights (and yes I know that Hendo was just waiting to deliver that punch)

But he hasnt really been shown up in any of his fights, he has never taken a beating, and although he is withouht doubt a knob - he is better than people will have you believe.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:44 pm

kavik2 wrote:
    He was also ahead on points in the Henderson fight until the moment he found himself staring at the ceiling lights (and yes I know that Hendo was just waiting to deliver that punch)

No, no he wasnt. Not even close, he got battered from pillar to post in the first round, and while he improved a tad in the second he still got KTFO. So no, he wasn't winning the fight at all.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:42 pm

kavik2 wrote:
    I think Bisping could beat both Belcher and Cote, using similar tactics to the Leben fight.

You mean running away??
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:44 pm

kavik2 wrote:.

Are you having a laugh?? He got beaten up in the first round, tried a comical takedown, Hendo laughed at him and then got beaten up some more. In the second round he ran, and ran and ran and then fight into the right hand of doom, which was followed by the flying forearm of shut the fuck up!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:50 pm

Bisping is a good fighter and his skills IMO have improved all round,I also think he has a good chance at beating Akiyama but I don't think he will ever be a top fighter that we can really talk about deserving to be mentioned near the title picture,unless of coarse he can wrack up a pretty good run of 4 or 5 wins,afterall who has he beat at MW,a good performance against Miller,who was ranked around the same but was on a two fight losing streak(although against top compitition),an out of sorts Leban (that he ran from for 3 rds and just jabbed his way to a win,a smart tactic but a boring,slightly cowardly one also,that didn't show him to be a great fighter in anyway)and a few guys that were already ranked below him.
    Basicly nothing close to proving he should be mentioned in the same sentance with the top guys in the division yet.

His bravado,the crap he talks about other fighters(some things he says,like the Hamill remarks,were just plain Countish) and the fact that the UFC want a fighter that the british fans can cheer for(though I don't think the UFC realised,british fans watch him,in hope he gets KTFO Wink )is what is getting him the fights against the likes of Hendo and wandi and is why he still gets mentioned against the top fighters,because it's not what he has proved by beating anyone of real note in the cage yet is it,but still I give him credit,because he has still stepped up and not backed out of any of the tougher match ups he's called for and he has been resonably competitive in them as well.

I mean at LHW,he took on Rashad and Hamill(which to be fair,he lost both)and at MW he took on Wandi and Hendo(but again he lost both) but still he took the fights and again was competitive in all of them.
    But still,it's the backing he's gotten and shit he says out side the cage,is what has built his name up to what it is so far,and not what he has done in the cage.

He is 2-2 in his last 4,but his 2 wins are against guys that where already ranked around or below him and his next fight is against a guy that has only fought twice in 2 years and IMO lost both(yeah he beat belcher,but not in my eyes),yet even if he beats Akiyama,that still only makes him 3-2 in his last 5.

I do think that Cote is a good next opponent for him though,if he does beat Akiyama that is.
    I like Cote but I do think he is slightly over rated himself and who knows if he'll ever get back to the fighter he was,after being out for so long.
    Yeah he had a 5 fight win streak to get a title shot,which he deserved,but I wont kid myself into beleiving that the 5 he beat were all top of the tree fighters,infact I think Bisping could probably of beat the same 5.

I think Bisping needs to beat Akiyama,Cote and get and win his rematch with Wandi,then I couldn't argue with him getting a match up against any of the top 5 and even a title shot wouldn't be completely unreasonable,infact I wouldn't complain if he did get a shot,with a successful run against Miller,Akiyama,Cote and Wandi.( as that is far stronger than Cote's run and alot of other fighters that have gotten there shots to be honest)

I doubt he would get through that run of fighters personally,but they are all winable fights for him and to be honest,I'd like to see all of them.
    It's still a fairly easy route to a shot,but still a respectable one all the same,when you think how many other MW's you could put in there that would easily beat Bisping,but IMO,the UFC would prefer to give him a route like this,instead of having your Sonnens,Belforts,Marquardts etc in that run and ending his chances completely)

I like watching Bisping fight and don't have anywhere near the animosity towards him that he gets from a good few on here,well on every forum really,infact I cheer him on in the majority of his fights(I always do when any of out British lads fight)still there is no denying that the man is a complete and utter Prick.
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:04 pm

I have no real feelings about Bisping either way, but I do know he was very disrespectful to Hamill who is deaf I believe?
    What did he say that was so bad? I've a feeling I did know and it's slipped my mind, but I could be wrong!!
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:39 pm

ppozma wrote:I have no real feelings about Bisping either way, but I do know he was very disrespectful to Hamill who is deaf I believe?
    What did he say that was so bad? I've a feeling I did know and it's slipped my mind, but I could be wrong!!

After beating him (questionable decision) he went over to his corner and shouted 'Can you hear me now', but, my feelings towards him, have nowt to do with his antics outside the cage, just think that he's chinny and nowhere near as good as he thinks he is. I also think that both Belcher and Cote beats him.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:31 pm

Also in his post fight speach,(after that moron,Cecil got another decision wrapped around his neck),he made claim to an easy win saying something like he stuffed most of his takedowns,controlled the fight and easily outstruck him,followed by"you should stick to wrestling mate".

Bisping has been a prick towards Hamill from day one of TUF,mocking and tacking the piss out of him,and that was all only because IMO,Bisping was having a mard on because Tito wasn't giving him star treatment and spent alot of time with Hamill.
    Even right after TUF,when hamill said he want's to fight Bisping,since he was injured for there TUF semi final,Bisping claimed it would be a step backwards to fight a TUF drop out that can't strike a match and that Hamill is just trying to use him to get from his preliminary bout status to genuine PPV level(I think he was just about to fight the 1-5 in the UFC,Elvis Sinsic,when he made this claim,real genuine PPV level Laughing )

Heres one for Anfeild

efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:41 am

haha that video pleased me greatly!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 am