THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+6
manschesthair_utd
Anfields5thKing
rudeboyben84
Moose Stuff For Money...
redmeanie77
ChelseaQuinsfan
10 posters

The future of the UFC HW division?

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

The future of the UFC HW division? - Page 2 Empty Re: The future of the UFC HW division?

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:58 am

Cain got caught a couple of times by the best striker in the division not named CroCop. Kongo has great hands, far more skilled and precise than Brocks. Lesnar's striking is, shall we say, primitive. Straight punches that decent head movement will avoid.

Couture put Lesnar off balance and took him down. Was very easy. Brock can't fight off his back. He doesn't even train to fight off the bottom because he doesn't believe anyone can put him there. If Cain puts him down, Lesnar will be in trouble.
    mattn1977
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

The future of the UFC HW division? - Page 2 Empty Re: The future of the UFC HW division?

Post  mattn1977 Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:50 pm

I think that Valasquez is being talked up a little too early. His chin seems a little suspect for a top-line heavyweight. Kongo dropped him 3-4 times in their fight (it was comedy....Valasquez was like a yo-yo, knees buckling then springing back up), and Chiek whilst being an excellent stand up technician isn't renowned for his one punch power.

Carwin has knockout power and great wrestling credentials but I couldn't help thinking that he looked really uncomfortable in the octagon when he fought Gonzaga, he could knock Brock out, but he's a heavy underdog in my mind.

I can't really see Brock losing in the short term
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:22 am

He didn't drop him at all. He rocked him but Cain just went through the punches and got the takedown each time.
    mattn1977
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  mattn1977 Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:07 am

Yeah i suppose he wasn't flat on his back but his legs were buckling every time he got caught with a jab. I'm not saying he won't be a contender just that he has a potential weakness which could hamper his progress long term.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:34 pm

Jab??

Those were massive right hands that would have left most people unconscious!
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:05 pm

Personally, it makes me sad to think that the heavy weight division is slowly becoming a division filled with massive weight cutting wrestlers. It really does take away from the Mixed part of MMA. I have a nasty thought that if Lesnar was put on his back he'd look like a fish out of water. It's one of the reasons that Fedor is the best heavy weight on the planet, he does everything so very well. He works well off his back (ask Mark Coleman), he hits like a truck (ask Andrei Arlovski) and he has a fantastic top game too (ask Heath Herring). On the other hand, in regard to all of the heavy weight prospects previously mentioned, with the exception of Junior Dos Santos, most of them would be lost on their back. Admittedly, most BJJ abilities go out the window as soon as 3XL sized fists start hammering into a fighter's face (with the exception of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at his prime!)
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:12 pm

Whilst I can see Carwin being Lesnars toughest challenge to date, I still see Brock coming through it. The only guys in UFC that I would back against Brock are - Junior Dos Santos and Cain Valasquez (given a few more fights), IMO Cain is the man to take HW to the next step.

I would like to see what else, other than size and power, Brock actually has, and hopefully, Carwin will ask that question. All this talk about Cain being rocked by Kongo, is a little missleading. Okay, he did get rocked, but, his natural defence was to take Kongo to the floor, and let's face it, most HWs can hurt any other HW, I mean let's look at Brock himself against Mir (2nd fight), he certainly stopped dead for a moment.

As I say, IMO, Brock (just) takes Carwin, then probably Nog. I can see the following, as well - Valsquez taking Rothwell, and then possibly facing Dos Santos, before facing either Mir/Carwin (should he lose)/Nog in an eliminator, before facing (and beating) Brock.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 12:15 pm