THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+6
ChelseaQuinsfan
manschesthair_utd
payneNglory1
Anfields5thKing
redmeanie77
Moose Stuff For Money...
10 posters

Cro Cop on his future plans

Poll

What should he do?

[ 2 ]
    Cro Cop on his future plans I_vote_lcap25%Cro Cop on his future plans I_vote_rcap [25%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Cro Cop on his future plans I_vote_lcap0%Cro Cop on his future plans I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Cro Cop on his future plans I_vote_lcap25%Cro Cop on his future plans I_vote_rcap [25%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Cro Cop on his future plans I_vote_lcap13%Cro Cop on his future plans I_vote_rcap [13%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Cro Cop on his future plans I_vote_lcap37%Cro Cop on his future plans I_vote_rcap [37%] 

Total Votes: 8
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Cro Cop on his future plans Empty Cro Cop on his future plans

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:04 am

I don’t know [what I will do]. First of all, I will take a rest, definitely I will talk with Lorenzo [Fertitta, UFC owner]. I closed this last contract with him and yes I will definitely talk with him. But I really cannot say right now if I will continue fighting. I think for me to keep fighting, the conditions would have to be right. What I mean by that is, first of all the fights have to be inspiring. It has to be an opponent that makes me inspired to go through eight weeks of hell with [trainer Ivan] Hippolyte. People say to me, 'Couture has 46, 47 years and he is still fighting, so you still have many years left'. But people forget, he has had 16 or 17 fights altogether in his career. I have 35 in MMA and 26 in K-1 and then 44 amateur boxing matches before that - I have had three times more fights than Randy. So of course I am not old in years, but believe me, I have been around! I have been to Japan 44 times. That is 44 times I got out of bed, went to the airport and travelled all the way to Japan, fought once, twice in a night. 44 times I went to Japan, suffered jetlag, no sleep, broken bones, stitches - at some point you become sick of everything. So I am still thinking about what to do and right now I need some rest. I will talk with Lorenzo and we will see. I just need motivation right now.

I think it means fights with the legends… Randy Couture, Antonio Nogueira and [Gabriel] Gonzaga - definitely Gonzaga. I would like to fight them in that order actually - Couture, Nogueira, Gonzaga. Those are the kind of fights that would inspire me and make me go through eight weeks of hell with Hippolyte again. Pat Barry is an excellent fighter, very tough and he can cause trouble for anyone in the UFC today but it is not the same kind of inspiration. I don’t mean to disrespect anyone here but what I am saying is at this point I would only really be interested in big-name fights and in straightening some things out," he said. "I need fights that will inspire me. Since 2003, its inside of me to have a rematch with Nogueira, definitely. He is one of the true legends, a pioneer of the sport, former Pride champion and former UFC champion as well. It would be a very interesting rematch for me. As for Couture, he is also a legend of the sport and a pioneer. When I was with Pride I was asked many times, how would I fight against Couture? Well now we could find out.”

I have made decent money in this sport, I have made a name. Maybe I am in the best possible position now to compete. I don’t need the money, those days are behind me. Now I would fight only to entertain my fans and have great fights. So if I decide to fight again and if I close a deal with deal with Lorenzo, it would be interesting for me to fight in Europe in front of European fans who maybe haven‘t had the chance to see me very much...I don’t know, I don’t know[if I will continue to fight]. I need some inspiration I think. But its not about money. Obviously there has to be payment but this is bottom of the list for my motivation.
    http://www.cagepotato.com/cro-cop-unsure-about-his-fighting-future-says-if-he-continues-compete-he-wants-couture-nogueira-or-g
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Cro Cop on his future plans Empty Re: Cro Cop on his future plans

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:21 am

Put him an Randy in a retirement fight. That would be huge.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:13 pm

He should fight Randy, headkick him. Then fight Nog, headkick him. And then retire.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:12 pm

I'd be happy for Randy,Nog and Gonzaga to spank him.(alright I admit,he might be a challenge for a 50 year old Randy)

I like the way cro-cop said

"I think for me to keep fighting, the conditions would have to be right. What I mean by that is, first of all the fights have to be inspiring. It has to be an opponent that makes me inspired to go through eight weeks of hell with [trainer Ivan] Hippolyte"

Then calls out a 50 year old Randy,Nog,who has lost 2 out of his last 3(his win against the old Randy)and Gonzaga,who has lost 2 out of his last 3.(why's he not calling JDS out)really inspiring stuff.

These are inspiring fights,more like after he knows Barry should of easily finished him in the 1st rd,he now knows he has no chance against any of the top HW's and thinks these will be easier big paydays.(oh yeah I forgot,it's not about money Rolling Eyes)

Cro-cops got no heart and no ambition and there for should stay retired.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:24 pm

He would have to BE retired to STAY retired.

CroCop knows he's not a contender anymore so he wants to fight the two biggest names in the UFC in terms of history, Couture and Nog. And he owes Gonzaga a headkick so there's the inspiration in that one.

He calls out Couture and he's got no heart? What do you call Couture calling out James Toney who's never fought in MMA before? Has Couture got no heart??

CroCop has declined but I'd still back him to beat Couture and Nog. Stopping both. He should beat Gonzaga easily as well.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:07 pm

the Gonzaga fight would be the one i would be worried about. He should stop Randy easily, and if he can't stop Nog he will beat him around for 15 minutes.

I try not to listen to Payne on the subject of crocop.
    No heart?? did you see his last fight, that was a classic display of a great heart!

Crocop is rolling in it, he doesn't need any more money.
    The Randy fight has clearly been an ambition for Mirko for a very long time, as you can see in the quotes. Don't think he is calling him out because he is old and an easy win.

Crocop clearly wants to cement his legacy. The Nog loss was his first loss, and beating Nog and Randy would cement him among the upper echelon of legends which i already think he is.
    The Gonzaga fight is his most devastating and embarrasing (outstanding) loss. If he thinks this fight is winnable then he is going for it.

why doesnt he want a JDS rematch???
    maybe he thinks he will not be the champ, and maybe he thinks the up and coming JDS has surpassed him...
    maybe he thinks he doesnt need to avenge a loss where he was in his worst ever shape anyway, and only lost to a submission after getting blinded with a punch to the eye.

I don't think we should complain that a legend wants to come back and fight other legends......especially considering we have all been clamouring over these fights for years.

I havent voted in the poll, i would suggest to do whatever he wants. If he is motivated enough to have "8 weeks of hell" with his trainer who IMO has done good things for him...go for it.

If not retire on what was a very high note and stick to fishing.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:07 am

avenge a loss where he was in his worst ever shape anyway, and only lost to a submission after getting blinded with a punch to the eye.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He can always low blow him like last time Rolling Eyes

Surely its more embarrasing to quit in the middle of a fight than to get KTFO?

Gonzaga, Randy, Nog sound like good fights to me, I disagree he has no heart completely, and he is done at the top so there are no problems taking on other guys who are also done at the top. As Anfield mentioned, Randy is fighting a 40 plus year old fat guy with no MMA experience (ok its not as bad as I made it sound) so its very harsh to critisize.

For me, I think its better to retire fighting against Nog/Randy (win, lose or draw) than to go out beating Barry. I don't know why, I just think we can see more from Cro Cop before he retires.

Get Gonzaga out of the way first IMO, he needs mentally to take that loss of.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:07 am

If he's not willing to try and earn a title shot or hes not willing to be a gatekeeper for the up and comers,Why should the UFC keep him around,it's not as if he has done anything for them to be deserving of special treatment to get those fights,he should just call it a day.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:12 am

JDS was never going to KO CroCop.

CroCop has done more than enough in his career to earn the fights he's asked for. And since the most important man in the UFC, Lorenzo Fertitta, is a HUGE CroCop fan then CroCop will most likely get what he wants regardless of having earned it. Just like Chuck and Randy being put in undeserved positions because Dana is a big fan of both.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:28 am

You may be right and I can't argue about anything Cro-cop did pre UFC,for that alone he deserves his status as one of the best in his time.

I'm being slightly hypocritical because I would like to see these fights,but I think it's wrong to be given those fights based on the fact he has basically been awful in the UFC and already left to fight elsewhere once after being given his first lucrative deal by the UFC,then after being given another chance,he runs his contract out and now starts dictating terms about I'll only resign if I get the certain fights he wants.
    If he fights for the UFC he should fight who ever they match him up against,which I personally think one of Randy and Nog would of been one of his fights anyway,but he should still have to fight others if the UFC decide he should.

Oh and Randy is fighting Toney to stick up for the sport he loves,you know the sport that Toney has been criticizing for so long.
    I've said it before,i'd of fed him to Brock to really make an example of him,at least against a 50 year old Randy,Toney has a shot.
    Randy also is still fighting because he wants and believes he can still have a run at the title(Isn't that what all you Randy haters are so quick to jump on him about and don't want)and isn't dictating to the UFC what fighters he wants and is going to face,he's fighting who the UFC put infront of him,and is trying to earn another shot,while risking his chance at the same time by fighting the less glamorous and middle ranked fighters like Vera and Coleman,like he should be.

That and the fact that Randy has never turned down a fight,never gives up,is still fighting at 50 and has only ever fought top guys from each division in his whole UFC career and has never once faced a bum in the UFC either,is why Randy can never be accused of having no Heart.
    Sly Uses
    Sly Uses
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Sly Uses Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:04 pm

Let him LHK Mir to death.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:55 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:
    That and the fact that Randy has never turned down a fight,never gives up,is still fighting at 50 and has only ever fought top guys from each division in his whole UFC career and has never once faced a bum in the UFC either,is why Randy can never be accused of having no Heart.

Randy turned down a fight with Crocop this year. FACT.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:23 am

Randy was ring side commentating on the gonzaga,Cro-cop fight saying he wanted Cro-Cop but didn't think he would win before and during the fight.FACT

So instead he took on and beat the better fighter in Gonzaga.FACT

1st I've heard about him turning down cro-cop though,If so,I was mistaken,though I expect that he would want to turn down an Al Turk,Sanchez or Perosh fight aswell,or any other fighters around Cro-cops level. Razz

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:56 am

when Rothwell pulled out Rampage and Randy turned down Crocop, scared shitless i assume. Razz
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:06 am

oh yeah,I forgot that one,nice 1 Very Happy

Perosh was the only one with the bolloxs to step up Twisted Evil
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:38 am

Randy turned down a fight with Chuck. In fairness he did make the point that they'd already fought 3 times but he still turned it down.
    mikeyboybisping
    mikeyboybisping
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  mikeyboybisping Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:26 pm

Cro Cop should take on the winner of Couture v Toney.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:37 pm

I think Toney would want a bigger fight than Crocop. Toney would need an American named fighter, he Named Liddell, Couture, Lesnar.... And Kimbo as the guys he wanted to fight. I think he would need a more recognised fighter in the US.

But maby your on to something with Couture. Couture may want things considered Superfights and coming off a few wins Crocop would do the trick for this. Maby he would concentrate on the Lhw devision? Id love to see Crocop vs Couture when it was originally supposed to happen and both have lost since... so Its passible again.

Everyone back Couture in that one then?
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:42 pm

Against Cro Cop? I'd go with Mirko, then again I might by biased.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:43 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing If by some miracle he beats Couture give him Lesnar and a title shot !!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:46 am

Brendan Schaub feels he is ready for a step up in competition:

"I think I took a step ahead of the rest of those [up-and-comers] beating a guy like Tuchscherer," Schaub said. "If you look at the other up-and-comers, ... they're fighting guys (that are) not as experienced. I think I'd definitely be ready for a (Mirko) 'Cro Cop' (Filipovic) or a Gilbert Yvel. I won't call anyone out, but if Joe Silva calls me, I'm ready for whatever he wants to throw my way."
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:22 am

Give him Yvel.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:57 am

I think Gonzaga is a good fight for him. I want to see Yvel vs Kongo.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:16 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:I think Gonzaga is a good fight for him. I want to see Yvel vs Kongo.

youtube it Wink
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:30 am

I've seen their first fight, i want to see them fight again. They are about the same in terms of ranking.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 5:56 pm