THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

4 posters

Belcher not to happy with Joe Silva...

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Belcher not to happy with Joe Silva... Empty Belcher not to happy with Joe Silva...

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed May 26, 2010 12:17 am

“I don’t know what [UFC matchmaker] Joe Silva’s deal is. Through my career, I’ve pushed for certain fights, and I don’t know if it’s Joe’s personality or what, but I think he’s not an Alan Belcher fan … [Joe Silva is] cool and everything; it’s just … I don’t know. It seems like I’m sitting there screaming: ‘The fans want to see me fight big fights.’ I’ve got a big following, and I’ve got not just a flashy style; I have an explosive striking style. The fans want to see it, but he’s not hearing it, man. It doesn’t matter. As time goes by and I keep winning fights, they have to give me the big fights.”

“What do I have to do to get on a poster? What do I have to do to get on a ‘Primetime’ show or when Spike TV comes to your school and stuff? I need to put a lot of work into this, and I feel like I’m on top of the game and there [are] a lot of fans out there that haven’t gotten the opportunity to know who I am yet. I just feel like I should be pushed a little bit more, and I feel like I should be making more money. The part of my career where I’m at right now I just feel like I’m one of the top guys. I just want to get the reward from it, and I don’t want to miss out on it. And if it’s going to take more work or more wins or whatever, that’s cool. I don’t want to be here two or three fights from now in the same situation.”

I see his point, he is a really entertainig figher to watch and a win over Cote who fought for the title in his last fight makes him a higher ranked contender than my rankings would suggest Laughing

I dont think he is next in line for a title shot but he lost a 50/50 fight with Akiyamam who is top 10 and beat Cote would would be top 10 if not for his injury. I think he is a really improved fighter and If I was matchmaking Id look to see if he can beat Okami in a rematch or perhaps Bisping if he wins his next one.

What are peoples thoughts on what is next for him?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Belcher not to happy with Joe Silva... Empty Re: Belcher not to happy with Joe Silva...

Post  redmeanie77 Wed May 26, 2010 12:26 am

Yeah if Bisping wins then that fight will make sense, it will probably be co-main event for a PPV, so they can do a countdown show about him.... Laughing

Does Maia have an opponent yet? Him and Belcher would be a sick fight Twisted Evil
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Belcher not to happy with Joe Silva... Empty Re: Belcher not to happy with Joe Silva...

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed May 26, 2010 12:47 am

No Maia doesnt have an opponent, great call mate. Id love to see that happen. Or if Rumble wants to figth at 185lbs... Either of those work for me! Although I see Rumble getting a gift of a fight at 185lbs if he fights there as a 1 off.

Belcher would beat Bisping so badly, Maby he could go after a rematch with Akiyama when Wanderlei re-aranges his face! The 1st fight was great he couldnt complain it was too low a level of fighter.

Funny a year or 2 ago we were all saying the Mw devision was dead. Its really picked up.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed May 26, 2010 1:13 am

Not sure what Belcher has done to be of the opinion that he deserves a title shot. The guy needs to shut up and go and beat at least two good fighters before he can call out Silva. I say give him Maia next, and then the winner of that can fight the winner of Palhares-Marquadt, winner gets Silva who will be free around the same time after he destroys Sonnen and then ends the myth of Vitor.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Wed May 26, 2010 7:47 pm

Damn you people I suggested Bisping in the ranking thread and just got ignored!! Belcher is an exciting fighter and I enjoy watching him... although I don't think he's quite earned a title shot, maybe a co headliner and something like that would shut him up?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed May 26, 2010 11:36 pm

Alan "The Talent" Belcher (16-6 MMA, 7-4 UFC) is both lucky and unlucky to be a UFC middleweight on a win streak.

He's lucky, of course, because he's risen to the top of the promotion's 185-pound division. (Hard work helped, too.) But he's unlucky because there aren't many fighters who share his streak, and as a result, he has to wait a little longer than most to stay active.

Belcher recently expressed frustration with his predicament, but he told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that he has plans for moving his career forward.

"Right now we're pushing for Demian Maia because I think [the UFC] has plans for everyone else," Belcher today said on the radio show. "I think that's an interesting fight. That will help me solidify the No. 1 contender spot.

"I think the timing would be right for me to fight (Vitor) Belfort after that."

Maia (12-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) hasn't fought since he fell short in a title loss to middleweight champion Anderson Silva in April.

Belfort, meanwhile, (19-8 MMA, 8-4 UFC) is earmarked by UFC president Dana White as the next contender for Silva, provided the champ can get past No. 1 contender Chael Sonnen at UFC 117 in August.

Fabiano Farah, Belfort's manager, recently told MMAjunkie.com that the former UFC light-heavyweight champion will be ready to vie for the title in November. That leaves time for Belcher to carve out a spot as the next contender.

"I'm just going to wait for the time to be right to keep winning the fights that I get right now," Belcher said. "Hopefully, they're big fights. I'm satisfied with what the UFC's given me right now."

Belcher, 26, is coming off a second-round submission victory over former middleweight contender Patrick Cote at UFC 113 earlier this month. It was his second consecutive victory after a TKO of Wilson Gouveia at UFC 107, and it was his fourth straight octagon appearance in which he won a performance bonus (two for "Submission of the Night" and two for "Fight of the Night"). The only loss in Belcher's past five fights is a closely contested split decision to Yoshihiro Akiyama at UFC 100.

The Jonesboro, Ark. native said his frustration with the UFC's matchmaking process is rooted in impatience. The best way to keep his upward trajectory is to keep winning fights.

"In the past, I was unsatisfied with the way the UFC was pushing me," Belcher said. "But it's just me having big expectations and wanting to get out there. At this point, I think I've proven myself, and I'm starting to get the respect that I deserve.

"In the (Sherdog.com) interview I did about [my frustration] ... I was basically saying the same thing – that Belfort was going to get the title shot because it was something to do with his contract or something that they had promised him. It wasn't like I disagreed with it; I just thought it was something that was already planned out.

"The UFC has to give me big fights now. I deserve them."

Belcher said he's spoken to a UFC official recently and expects to get a fight soon, though he doesn't have a concrete timetable for his return.

"It doesn't really matter to me as long as I get a few weeks to get mentally prepared for whoever I fight," he said. "I'm ready whenever."

Haha, i called it yesterday Laughing I hope it goes ahead because it would be very interesting and exciting fight i think.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 12:10 am