THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+11
ChelseaQuinsfan
Anfields5thKing
manschesthair_utd
1972-casual
rudeboyben84
The_Axe_Emperor
Sheldan
p4pnumber_1
Cowboys From Hell
redmeanie77
payneNglory1
15 posters

UFC 146,The Heavyweights

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 146,The Heavyweights - Page 3 Empty Re: UFC 146,The Heavyweights

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed May 30, 2012 1:10 am

#RallyForMarkHunt cheers
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Wed May 30, 2012 1:12 am

GSPfan11 wrote:
    p4pnumber_1 wrote:Just read Cain will be out with a broken hand for at least 6 months, looks like we'll have to wait for the rematch.

Who would you have up next for JDS then mate? We gone see more online petitions started by ginginho lol

Hell yeah Twisted Evil

Hunt will be ready just in time..... there must have been quite a movement for Hunt when Overeem was caught pissing hot, especially for Dana to mention it. I just wonder how large.....

Dana White - making the fights fans want to see since 2001 Laughing
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Wed May 30, 2012 1:17 am

It seems Varner has a suspected broken hand aswell, Miller, Dollaway and Volkmann all have suspected broken thumbs... What the hell is going on Twisted Evil
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed May 30, 2012 2:16 am

It turns out that while we thought Overeem could fight on the NYE card, he can only apply for a license on December 27th, so UFC aren't going to book him in a title fight in the hope he can have a lincese approved 2 days before the fight. It's not confirmed that Cain has a broken hand yet, and even if he does, November seems like a reasonable time to have their fight anyway.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:40 am

Cormier makes the most sense but that won't happen. Shame because it would be a great fight.

Also can't see Velasquez beating JDS standing, no HW fighter can handle JDS standing and it's becoming a problem because he has cleaned out the division aside from Overoid who is a cheat.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:04 am

Cain doesn't have to handle him standing, he just needs to get hold of him and take him down. Then it becomes interesting. Had Cain got hold of JDS the way Mir did, they fight would have gone to the ground.

Agree that no HW can handle JDS standing. I think he should switch to pro boxing. He'd make mega money over there. HW boxing is crying out for a new hero.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:44 pm

Problem with fighting JDS though is you can't shoot from a distance and get him down because he will stuff it. He is quick and very strong. You have to come in close and try and grab him and when you do that, you risk eating a couple of his powerful shots. That's why I think is a terrible matchup for Cain.

I think you need someone slightly more athletic. Cormier might be able to shoot from distance and get him down but I would favour JDS in a fight. Lack of options right now at HW. I want to see Jones move up to HW.

Do you think he would be a success at boxing? The HW division outside the Kiltchiko brothers is a bit of a joke and after Chisora and Haye embarrassed themselves, it has hardly painted a positive picture for the sport.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:21 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:Cain doesn't have to handle him standing, he just needs to get hold of him and take him down. Then it becomes interesting. Had Cain got hold of JDS the way Mir did, they fight would have gone to the ground.

Agree that no HW can handle JDS standing. I think he should switch to pro boxing. He'd make mega money over there. HW boxing is crying out for a new hero.

really think Overeem can't handle him standing?
    I know Dos Santos has the speed but i think Overeem is much more versatile and if he clinches with anyone they might as well throw the towel in.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:50 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:Cain doesn't have to handle him standing, he just needs to get hold of him and take him down. Then it becomes interesting. Had Cain got hold of JDS the way Mir did, they fight would have gone to the ground.

really think Overeem can't handle him standing?
    I know Dos Santos has the speed but i think Overeem is much more versatile and if he clinches with anyone they might as well throw the towel in.

Reem on roids maybe, but not without them. JDS boxes his ears off all night long, and if he tries to clinch with him JDS takes him to the ground where he enjoys a huge advantage.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:53 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Problem with fighting JDS though is you can't shoot from a distance and get him down because he will stuff it. He is quick and very strong. You have to come in close and try and grab him and when you do that, you risk eating a couple of his powerful shots. That's why I think is a terrible matchup for Cain.

I think you need someone slightly more athletic. Cormier might be able to shoot from distance and get him down but I would favour JDS in a fight. Lack of options right now at HW. I want to see Jones move up to HW.

Do you think he would be a success at boxing? The HW division outside the Kiltchiko brothers is a bit of a joke and after Chisora and Haye embarrassed themselves, it has hardly painted a positive picture for the sport.

Cain has good enough head movement to get inside on JDS. Their first fight isn't something I'd put too much stock in. Cain was caught cold because JDS is normally a pretty slow starter for the first minute or so. Had he known about the knee injury JDS was carrying he'd have fought differently but he was obviously concerned with his own injury.

I think Cain is just as bad a match for JDS, as JDS is for Cain. Cain's quickness, movement, head movement and ability to explode and get inside quickly could cause him problems. Like I said, Mir should have gotten the takedown. If Cain gets hold of him like that, it's going to the floor.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:18 am

What do you think happens if he does get him down? So far JDS has shown great ability to get back to his feet although he hasn't faced a wrestler anywhere near the level of Velasquez. However I can't see Cain being able to decimate JDS with GnP like he has done to all his other opponents. Also Cain might have good head movement but I'm not sure he can keep his head away for 5 rounds without eventually getting clipped and finished.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:29 am

So far JDS has shown great ability to get back to his feet although he hasn't faced a wrestler anywhere near the level of Velasquez.

He's faced someone close enough to Velasquez' level, cant quite think of who it was though... Wink

Oh yes it was Cain himself Cool ... lol I know what you're saying though mate, he didnt face his wrestling in that fight..but I geniunely think JDS' tdd is too good. The only way I see Cain getting JDS to the mat is via a knockdown. But I think JDS is too good standing for him also.
    thebadgersbits
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  thebadgersbits Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:33 am

p4pnumber_1 wrote:
    So far JDS has shown great ability to get back to his feet although he hasn't faced a wrestler anywhere near the level of Velasquez.

He's faced someone close enough to Velasquez' level, cant quite think of who it was though... Wink

Oh yes it was Cain himself Cool ... lol I know what you're saying though mate, he didnt face his wrestling in that fight..but I geniunely think JDS' tdd is too good. The only way I see Cain getting JDS to the mat is via a knockdown. But I think JDS is too good standing for him also.

werdum ,
    higher level ground game than cain
    still got fucked up in first round
    cain does shite against JDS
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:56 am

p4pnumber_1 wrote:

Embarassed

But you know what I meant and I agree with you. I think JDS is going to be at the top of the division for a while.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:30 am

p4pnumber_1 wrote:but I geniunely think JDS' tdd is too good.

based on?
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:48 am

thebadgersbits wrote:
    p4pnumber_1 wrote:

werdum ,

Werdum has a higher level ground game but nowhere near the ability to get the fight to the ground which is what matters here.

Werdum just lies on his back and begs people to jump into his guard....
    thebadgersbits
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  thebadgersbits Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:43 pm

efils_god wrote:
    thebadgersbits wrote:
    p4pnumber_1 wrote:

werdum ,

Werdum has a higher level ground game but nowhere near the ability to get the fight to the ground which is what matters here.

true true

then goes back to the obvious standing cain gets fucked up
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:33 pm

thebadgersbits wrote:
    efils_god wrote:
    thebadgersbits wrote:
    p4pnumber_1 wrote:

werdum ,

true true

then goes back to the obvious standing cain gets fucked up

Of course, but he has a much better chance of getting JDS down. Standing, both Cain and Werdum are dead, but Werdum can't get JDS down, Cain probably can.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 7:07 am