THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
rudeboyben84
Moose Stuff For Money...
Anfields5thKing
payneNglory1
8 posters

Jon Jones, "You heavyweights gotta watch out"

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Jon Jones, "You heavyweights gotta watch out"  Empty Jon Jones, "You heavyweights gotta watch out"

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:50 pm

It's been nearly two years since UFC light heavyweight contender Jon Jones (10-1 MMA, 3-1) first burst on the national scene, and the New Yorker's rise to prominence has been nothing short of astronomical.

Just four fights into his UFC run, many mixed martial arts fans are already calling for a light heavyweight title shot.

But as Jones prepares for a showdown with veteran grinder Vladimir Matyushenko (24-4 MMA, 5-2 UFC) at August's UFC on Versus 2 event, the soon-to-be-23-year-old told the crew of ESPN's "MMA Live" that he's not necessarily just focused on a 205-pound title. "Bones" might eventually go up to heavyweight, too.

"This training camp has been really tough for me, actually," Jones said on the most recent episode of "MMA Live." "I got up to about 231 (pounds) for the first time, and I'll be 23 on Monday. I feel as if I'm growing into a more adult body.

"Who knows what the future holds for me. I'm always training hard, and I'm going to start to focus more on weightlifting in my off-time. You heavyweights gotta watch out because you never know what's going to happen."

Jones has earned three victories in his four UFC fights, and the lone loss came via disqualification in a bout with Matt Hamill in which "Bones" was clearly in charge. Jones has looked increasingly dangerous each time in the cage and appears destined for a long and glorious career.

But at 6-foot-4 and with one of the longest wingspans in the sport, Jones at heavyweight isn't hard to imagine. While he's certainly not giving up his plans at 205 pounds, Jones hinted that he could eventually prove a dual-division threat.

"Our weightclass is stacked, and there's lots of competition at the 205-pound division, but there's also lots of competition at the heavyweight division," Jones said. "I'm always looking for a challenge.

"Randy Couture does it moving up and down in weight classes, and it's not something I'd be opposed to."

Even UFC president Dana White seems to believe Jones will develop into the sport's next superstar. Following Jones' UFC on Versus 1 win in March, White said that the sky was the limit for his flashy prospect.

"The hype is warranted," White said. "The kid is incredibly talented. Every time I see him fight, he looks phenomenal, and he gets better every time.

"It's incredible. He's a serious, serious talent."

Of course, before Jones can set his sights on the UFC big boys, he's got a tough test in "The Janitor." While Jones has wowed fans early in his career with acrobatic throws and dynamic striking, with just a little more than two years in the game, the youngster said he's currently working to round out his arsenal.

"I'm really working on [my ground game] a lot," Jones said. "So far, I haven't been taken down in a fight, but I'm not going to be naive and say it's not possible. So right now, I'm working on my ground game, my bottom game. Greg Jackson wants that to be my biggest weapon that's never seen."

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Jon Jones, "You heavyweights gotta watch out"  Empty Re: Jon Jones, "You heavyweights gotta watch out"

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:05 am

Jones could end up being a very big man. I could easily see him carrying 250 of muscle on that frame. He's certainly going to end up as a HW. But hopefully it won't be for a while, there's some great fights at 205 for him. 205 is the UFC's most stacked division these days IMO.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Jon Jones, "You heavyweights gotta watch out"  Empty Re: Jon Jones, "You heavyweights gotta watch out"

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:35 am

I hope he stays af 205 personally,because I see him as the future of that division and as good as he is,I think the new breed of HW is just to big for him,(but skill wise I think he has the beating of any HW)
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:00 am

Hell yeah. On the boy Bones Jones!!!

I am fucko'd!! drunken
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:09 pm

I think this temporary era of HW giants is coming to an end. Brock and Carwin got shown up for what they are. Cain, JDS, and down the line Bones are the ones that can make the HW division great.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:48 pm

You could be right,but you know we don't share the same opinion on Brock and carwin.
    In a way I hope your right,as JDS and Cain are better to watch because they have better technical abilities,but the power of Brock and carwin is amazing,and I think it's going to be hard for them to over come.

We will soon find out when Cain and JDS start fighting the pair.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:12 pm

Agree with that in a way Anfield.

Mir and Carwin were both carrying more Muscle than Lesnar when they fought him and Mir Blamed it, Carwin clearly gassed because of it.

Lesnar made people think they needed to be 280lbs, Lesnar is just built like a 265er he couldnt really be smaller, Mir and Carwin could be 240-250 and fight better. Other 265ers Mondragon, Tim Hague, Chris Tuchscherer etc.. there are plenty of poor giant heavies.

I think a lot of people saw Brock being bigger and better than everyone and thought it would level the playingfield for all heavies to be that size. Im American Football they are realiseing that size isnt everything, Defensive fighter are getting smaller and more explosive I heard and its as Physical as MMA. I can see people putting less stock into being 265lbs.

Its always an advantage to be bigger if your the bigger guy naturally, but it isnt always an advantage to put on rediculous amounts of muscle so you can be the biggest I think.
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:01 am

I saw that episode and it seemed like he was most certainly going to go up in weight eventually. Rashad also said that if he beats Shogun, then Jones would have to move up in weight to get a title shot because he wouldn't get one from him...
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:49 pm

I'm just watching it now. Rashad, Bonnar and Bones are sitting together and the size difference between Rashad and Bones is RIDICULOUS. I know Rashad should be fighting at 185 but Bonnar is sitting in the middle and he looks about halfway between the two of them size-wise. He looks like a LHW. Rashad looks like a MW and Bones certainly looks like a HW!
    Sly Uses
    Sly Uses
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Sly Uses Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:58 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Agree with that in a way Anfield.

Mir and Carwin were both carrying more Muscle than Lesnar when they fought him and Mir Blamed it, Carwin clearly gassed because of it.

Lesnar made people think they needed to be 280lbs, Lesnar is just built like a 265er he couldnt really be smaller, Mir and Carwin could be 240-250 and fight better. Other 265ers Mondragon, Tim Hague, Chris Tuchscherer etc.. there are plenty of poor giant heavies.

I think a lot of people saw Brock being bigger and better than everyone and thought it would level the playingfield for all heavies to be that size. Im American Football they are realiseing that size isnt everything, Defensive fighter are getting smaller and more explosive I heard and its as Physical as MMA. I can see people putting less stock into being 265lbs.

Its always an advantage to be bigger if your the bigger guy naturally, but it isnt always an advantage to put on rediculous amounts of muscle so you can be the biggest I think.
    true, but Overeem might be an example where putting on weight can help you. Though he's definitely improved his overall game, not just his size.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:50 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:Jones could end up being a very big man. I could easily see him carrying 250 of muscle on that frame. He's certainly going to end up as a HW. But hopefully it won't be for a while, there's some great fights at 205 for him. 205 is the UFC's most stacked division these days IMO.

What happened to this, Anfield? When did you think he should've moved up, when you realised he was going to be unstoppable at LHW?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:59 am

This was before the information about him not lifting weights and specifically tailoring his diet 24/7 365 so as not to have to fight at HW.

It was also before his arrogance became overbearing and the UFC hype machine stuck it's head up his ass.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:02 am

He's said on multiple occasions, (including in the thread I just posted) that he wants to move up
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:02 am

Bones definetly needs to move up if he beats Rashad and Hendo, Gustaffson if he can look good against Thiago Silva and pick up another big win, might be interesting to see him fight Bones. Because of his height and reach and big power in his hands it will be something new for Bones.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:07 am

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:He's said on multiple occasions, (including in the thread I just posted) that he wants to move up

And of course he means it. Just like he was being truthful when he claimed to be injured in the past.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 8:40 am