THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

4 posters

Did anyone watch UFC 164?

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Did anyone watch UFC 164? Empty Did anyone watch UFC 164?

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:09 pm

I know this site has slowed way down,but I thought there might be some chat and opinions about this event.

It was a cool card.

Here's my quick thoughts to get things rolling.

Pettis was outstanding,well happy with him as a new champ.

Mir to me and the wife look beaten before he got in the cage,not once would he even make eye contact with barnett.
    Don't blame the ref for the stoppage,yeah he could of maybe let barnett land a few more,but IMO it was irrelevant,Mir got destroyed and Barnett looked like an animal going at that pace.
    It looked so similar to how others have finished Mir,overwhelm him against the cage with pressure and dirty boxing and he'll wilt and drop.

Mendes looked great,first man to stop Guida is impressive,when so many bigger fighters have failed to do so,though again maybe the ref was a little quick to jump in,though credit to Guida,he had no complaints and instantly congratulated Mendes.

Big Ben made my night with the drop of the shoulders Anderson Silva style into beserker mode.
    Don't think he should get the Browne fight on that though,Brownes a few fights inf ront of him at the moment.

Poirier looked good,that first round was great,poirier was a split second from going out to that triangle.after that he was always a gear in front of Koch and smartly controlled the rest of the fight.

Tibau did what Tibau does to get the decision.

Tim Elliot is fast becoming one of if not my favourite Fly weights,the boy is a beast that just keeps on coming and coming no matter what you hit him with.

Watch out Welter weights,there is a huge korean WW that is willing to slug it out with you,Lim is a scary proposition in the WW division.

Kang - camus was a great fight,but i definitely think Kang was robbed by a home town decision.

Look at that me defending and supporting two asian guys,yes it's still me typing Chesty Very Happy 

Soa and Krylov was a flash back to the dark days of the sport,absolute garbage but in it's own way,fun none the less Laughing 

Al Laqiunta looked really slick and crisp and put a one sided beating on Couture,credit to coutures chin,many a fighter would of quit after some of those shots.

and what a start,magnus quickly choking out Hamman,I think that's the last we'll be seeing of hammann in the Octagon.

What did you lads think?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Did anyone watch UFC 164? Empty Re: Did anyone watch UFC 164?

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:41 am

Barnett winning made by day, the amount of times he got called a fat can crusher "Pride" guy from casual fans was shocking, guy is right in the Mix and it looks like him and Browne will fight because Bigfoot fights Hunt and Werdum is waiting on his shot.

Barnett could beat Werdum if he came to it and Id like to see Brownes defensive wrestling because Id say Barnett can get him down. Cain and Junior will blow him away but I can see him getting him title shot.

PEttis winning made me happy too, never warmed to Bendo and Pettis is such a pleasing style, he is a fight finisher for sure and real flashy, cartwheel fail set up the armbar, what a guy! And those Rib kicks! Loved it especially because it looked like Bendos tactic was a wall and stall.

Lim has missed weight before they said, he is the new Rumble!! Twisted Evil Guy could fight at Heavyweight! Those Koreans really are big weight cutters, shows we cant generalise all Asians as having a problem cutting weight! Real entertainer, looking forward to his next fight. Thiago Alves would be a war!

Vera puzzles me, the lack of agression when he was landing good strikes is shocking. I hate MMA striking sometimes, the 1 shot and walk off content to score a point, COMBOS people, use them fuck sake. Vera could be like a Lhw Ben Saunders standing, he has the technique and used to let his limbs fly more. Understand he didnt want to meet Ben head on but he got what was coming to him, Id assume thats the end of his UFC career which is a shame I think he beat Randy in one of the worst Robberies i remember seeing, JArdine was a bad call too and Werdum a slightly early stoppage. Vera had the skills to do great things but lacked the agression and will to finish people. Rothwell vs Miocic next Id say.

I dont like Mendes or Guida (Anymore) so Im glad to see the fight end in a Stoppage, Guida is more theatre than fighter these days, he seems to want to play a points game, long way down from that guy who was unleashing hell on Diego Sanchez that made my mum say "Gosh this is awfully exciting isnt it" when passing the TV me and my brother were watching it on! Mendes will get a number 1 contenders fight next but no one is busting to see him vs Aldo
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:41 pm

You know what I might one of a handful of fans who likes Mir but honestly he should retire for his own health as great as Barnett looked every time Mir is on the back foot or against the cage he looks the definition of vulnerable and his punch resistance seems non-existent.

I thought the main event was a huge let down I just didn't see a fist round stoppage in this fight happening I felt very underwhelmed considering on paper as Old JR would say It was going to be a 'Slobberknocker'. Mendes looked incredible he just smashed Guida from pillar to post obviously a fight with Lamas makes perfect sense seeing Aldo is out for at least the rest of the year.

Loved Rothwell's KO of Vera who really needs to like Mir call It day he looked awful to me very tentative. Poirier vs Koch was good battle considering how Kang got robbed by Camus I'm surprised Koch didn't get the nod.

Prelims were enjoyable especially Lim's destruction of Krause that some killer instinct he shown to get the finish.

I know I said I think Mir should retire but I've got this feeling he will fight Overeem next just a hunch.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:41 pm

If Mir fights Reem in his next fight,then that will be his last fight.
    Reem is the style,never mind has the style that Mir can't handle.I'd put money on that fight being over in under a minute.

Reem Rushes Mir into the cage,lands a few bombs and knees,mir crumbles,hits the canvas,Reem drops another few bombs,ref steps in and stops it. between 40 - 60 secs and like schievello would say "and it's good night Irene"

I think Mir needs to drop down a level in competition for his next fight,winner of the Gonzaga - Jordan fight would be a good fight for him.

I think Overeem vs Barnett is a fight that people still want to see and since they have both just fought,the timing is right to make that fight.Reem/Fedor/Barnett were the main fights that everyone was hoping to see when the Strikeforce GP tourney was first announced.

I think Mendes will fight lamas for that #1 FW contenders spot and I also think Pettis will defend his belt against Grant.
    I'm dying to see Aldo vs Pettis,how could that not be a brilliant fight,but you just know that will get fucked up somehow.

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:37 pm

OK it's official,Frank Mir is having his retirement fight,Nov 16th,since he has agreed to take the Reem fight Rolling Eyes 
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:49 am

Was really pleased Pettis won, although I found the actual fight a little bit anti-climatic. When do you ever see straight armbar finishes from guard in the first round these days? Especially in a lightweight title fight. Pettis really is just that good, seems to be on his way to being an all time great lightweight, he's the kind of fighter everyone should want holding the belt.

Again, very pleased Barnett won. I've always believed Mir simply didn't have the durability to tussle with Barnett and it's so gratifying for your beliefs to be proven correct (even only for my own self satisfaction!). I had no real issue with the stoppage, Mir went limp and fell on his face, he doesn't really come back from positons like that. Overeem theoretically destroys Mir but we all know how Overeem is capable of eighty-sixing himself mid fight.

Mendes looks absolutely clinical. His finishing punches were picked so well and it's always refreshing to see a fighter capable of real composure when stopping an opponent.

Very satisfying event all in all.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 12:26 am