THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+10
2brutal
manschesthair_utd
The_Axe_Emperor
redmeanie77
pinsman
Once Mohawked Pete
Anfields5thKing
p4pnumber_1
Cowboys From Hell
Sheldan
14 posters

Condit steps aside, GSP VS Diaz on Super Bowl Weekend.

Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Condit steps aside, GSP VS Diaz on Super Bowl Weekend. Empty Condit steps aside, GSP VS Diaz on Super Bowl Weekend.

Post  Sheldan Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:27 pm

LAS VEGAS – Once again, Nick Diaz (26-7 MMA, 7-4 UFC) proves to be just the right kind of crazy.

Moments after defeating MMA legend B.J. Penn in the main event of Saturday night's UFC 137 event, Diaz told a Mandalay Bay Events Center crowd he thinks UFC champ Georges St-Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC) faked an injury in order to avoid a fight.

The move earned St-Pierre's attention, and UFC president Dana White said Carlos Condit (27-5 MMA, 4-1 UFC) has agreed to step aside in order to make the fight it seems everyone now wants to see.

"I've known Georges St-Pierre since 2004," White said at the evening's post-event press conference in Las Vegas. "He's one of the nicest guys I've ever met, and he's always exactly the same no matter what the situation is, no matter who he's fighting. Since 2004, I've never seen him like he was tonight. Georges St-Pierre flipped out tonight after Nick Diaz was in the ring, and Nick needs motivation. He's got it. He's going to fight Georges St-Pierre.

"Carlos Condit has agreed to step aside and get the next guy. [St-Pierre] said, and I quote – you're going to think I'm full of [expletive], but this is the truth – I quote, 'He's the most disrespectful human being I've ever met, and I'm going to put the worst beating you've ever seen on him in the UFC."

White said the bout will likely take place Feb. 4 in Las Vegas, at the company's traditional Super Bowl weekend event. Condit will also compete on the card, and a win guarantees him a shot at the winner of the St-Pierre vs. Diaz matchup.

And if Condit loses?

"That would suck," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

However, White said Condit was not forced to withdraw from the planned contest with St-Pierre. Instead, the UFC boss said he presented the former welterweight champ with an option, and Condit elected to step aside in favor of the blockbuster matchup.

"I didn't call him up and say (you're out)," White said. "I like Carlos Condit. I respect him, and yeah. He's getting the title shot. He'll get the next shot at the guy, and he said he wants to fight on that card, too, so he's going to fight on that card. It was a good conversation."

With the announcement made, Diaz had no problem immediately jumping into the villain role.

"You see how I have to come off just to get a fight," Diaz said. "I've got to come off like that just to get a fight. I've got to be the bad guy and point the finger. Make me the bad guy. I'm the bad guy. Now I get a fight."

Meanwhile, St-Pierre responded with a statement issued through UFC brass.

"This is what I wanted since the beginning," St-Pierre stated. "Let's do what was supposed to be done originally. I've always wanted this fight. Now I want it even more. I can't wait for Super Bowl weekend."
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Condit steps aside, GSP VS Diaz on Super Bowl Weekend. Empty Re: Condit steps aside, GSP VS Diaz on Super Bowl Weekend.

Post  Cowboys From Hell Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:19 pm

Definitely the right call after that performance from Diaz who else is there and I bet the Silva household are doing somersaults over this move (Superbowl weekend) Sonnen needs to step up the trollin' Very Happy
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Condit steps aside, GSP VS Diaz on Super Bowl Weekend. Empty Re: Condit steps aside, GSP VS Diaz on Super Bowl Weekend.

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:28 pm

Diaz looked amazing last night. And although I still think GSP will smother him for 5 rounds Sad , I definately give him more of a chance to win after last night.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:43 pm

Diaz vs St Pierre and Sonnen vs Silva should both be on the card.

Two new champs.

Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:33 pm

I am not so confident about Diaz beating GSP. Yes last nights performance was a good one, but, Diaz looked very reckless at times, I think that GSPs safety first mentality may well win this. Certainly think Sonnen has a great chance against Silva though.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:37 pm

You mean in terms of raising his hands and waving his chin? He can do that against GSP. George St Powderpuff is not going to hurt Diaz standing. Only one man wins that contest standing up.

If he does take him down he better just turtle up in the guard and not trying advancing or anything else or he will get subbed.

GSP's only chance is takedown, hold, get stood back up, takedown, hold, get stood back up, takedown, hold, get stood back up. Over and over again for 25 minutes but if he does that he'll prove to everyone that he's a coward who doesn't come to fight. He says he's going to give Diaz the worst beating in the UFC history, let's see him do it.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:50 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:You mean in terms of raising his hands and waving his chin? He can do that against GSP. George St Powderpuff is not going to hurt Diaz standing. Only one man wins that contest standing up.

If he does take him down he better just turtle up in the guard and not trying advancing or anything else or he will get subbed.

GSP's only chance is takedown, hold, get stood back up, takedown, hold, get stood back up, takedown, hold, get stood back up. Over and over again for 25 minutes but if he does that he'll prove to everyone that he's a coward who doesn't come to fight. He says he's going to give Diaz the worst beating in the UFC history, let's see him do it.

I understand where you are coming from, but I could see GSP jabbing away all night, and doing sufficient damage to win it on points. I don't think he'll try and take Diaz down (unless he gets in trouble). Diaz always wants to drag fighters into a slugging match, which suits Diaz's style perfectly. I just don't see GSP being dragged into one. Regardless of what anyone thinks of GSP (and I'm certainly not his No1 fan), he very rarely has a poor gameplan. There's no doubt in my mind, that GSP will NOT give Diaz a bad beating, but, I can see him being too clever for him.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:16 pm

So you think he'll basically go with the jab and sprint gameplan of the Shields and Kos fights? It's a possibility but I think if he does stand with Diaz, he'll get KO'd.

I really hope they put Diaz-GSP and Sonnen-Silva on the same card.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:15 pm

I agree with Anfield, if Gsp trys to stand with Diaz he's getting smashed and to go to ground would be slightly silly as Diaz's ground game is top notch! This is a funny situation though as isn't GSP a black belt in BJJ? and I think ( I might be wrong ) Diaz hasn't gained his black belt yet... But Diaz looks like a master compared to GSP!

I hope Diaz put this boring picture boy to sleep, and ends this... it might make GSP a better performer! He's got big performances in his locker but just seem content with hiding away.

I disagree though about Sonnen... I hope Anderson murders him!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:07 pm

I doubt they will do those 2 fights on same card. Anderson and his camp dont want this fight at all and i dont blame them. Sonnen is going to win.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:17 pm

Not the best thread title, bit of a spoiler.

Georges St-Pierre defeated Nick Diaz by Unanimous Decision to remain the UFC Welterweight champion.

Chael Sonnen defeated Anderson Silva by Unanimous Decision to become the new UFC Middleweight champion.

...Are the most likely outcomes.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:44 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:Not the best thread title, bit of a spoiler.

Bit daft to come on the armbar if you haven't watched last nights event yet.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:17 pm

pinsman wrote:I agree with Anfield, if Gsp trys to stand with Diaz he's getting smashed and to go to ground would be slightly silly as Diaz's ground game is top notch! This is a funny situation though as isn't GSP a black belt in BJJ? and I think ( I might be wrong ) Diaz hasn't gained his black belt yet... But Diaz looks like a master compared to GSP!

I hope Diaz put this boring picture boy to sleep, and ends this... it might make GSP a better performer! He's got big performances in his locker but just seem content with hiding away.

I disagree though about Sonnen... I hope Anderson murders him!

Nick has been a BB for years mate. He actually IS a black belt. GSP just HAS a blackbelt.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:25 am

Sheldan wrote:
    The_Axe_Emperor wrote:Not the best thread title, bit of a spoiler.

Bit daft to come on the armbar if you haven't watched last nights event yet.

Not daft at all, UFC 137 isn't the only topic of discussion on here. Not having a go or anything just pointing it out cos there's usually always a (Spoiler Alert) in Event Review threads.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:53 pm

GSP cant win this fight on the feet, im fairly confident of that.

His only chance is to smother Diaz on the ground, will he be able to do it? he has done it to better jiu jistu artists (than himself) in the past...but i dont know.

is BJ retiring or not? either way, i have 100% admiration for one of the best ever. Smile
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:26 pm

Agree re stand up gsp will take him down and win another ud

Bj will be back
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:15 pm

Anfield - "He actually IS a black belt. GSP just HAS a blackbelt."

Thats a cracker, there are guys that have BJJ BB who arent on the level of Greenbelts in other gyms. GSP's BJJ isnt good, certainly not BB level good.

GSP will get KO'd if he stands for any length of time, Serra has a lot less power than Diaz and he had enough power to get the KO, Diaz throws harder and lands 10 times as much as Serra. He outstruck BJ (which George couldnt) and KO'd Daley. He is just about the best striker at 170.

The other thing is the ground. GSP wont finish him there, he doesnt hit hard enough to GnP him and he couldnt sub Hardy so wont sub Diaz. He deffo wont GnP him out because Diaz constantly works on the ground, look at him getitng BJ off his back or his mad scrambles for positions when it does hit the ground, watch the Karo fight for example.

GSP is a worse Grappler and Striker in the simplest terms. So people must be expecting him to be able to pin Diaz down for 25 straight minutes... I cant see it.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:48 pm

I really can't see GSP winning this fight by FIGHTING. He can win it by jabbing and running away and them getting a takedown and holding him down just waiting to get stood back up and repeating the same actions over again, but if he comes to FIGHT Nick Diaz, he goes home a loser. Diaz is better standing and better on the ground. GSP has an advantage in the transition between the two(takedowns) but that's it.

Diaz has also got better cardio, and a better chin.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:55 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:I really can't see GSP winning this fight by FIGHTING. He can win it by jabbing and running away and them getting a takedown and holding him down just waiting to get stood back up and repeating the same actions over again, but if he comes to FIGHT Nick Diaz, he goes home a loser. Diaz is better standing and better on the ground. GSP has an advantage in the transition between the two(takedowns) but that's it.

Diaz has also got better cardio, and a better chin.

The biggest factor in this fight will be the ref and his tollerance to fight stalling.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:26 pm

2brutal wrote:Bj will be back

Hopefully not at 170 he won't.

I think if he drops to lightweight he beats Maynard or Bendo in a #1 contenders match. He also beats Edgar if his head is in the right place.
    He would have to be properly conditioned though. Penn vs Melendez is a wet dream matchup.

It is a shame it has worked out like this for BJ. Remember, he in reality beat Edgar first time round, and in reality he also beat Fitch. If either one of those decisions had been correct, his next fight as of now would be for a UFC title.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:20 pm

BJ should retire. He should focus on his own school and start teaching what he knows.
    mattn1977
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  mattn1977 Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:35 am

Have to admit I underestimated Diaz. In hindsight BJ was a longshot, the size differnce alone was huge. My head tells me that GSP will wrestle fuck diaz for 5, Diaz has awesome BJJ but GSP is cautious and physically strong really difficult to sub. However there does seem to be something special about Diaz it just seems to be "his time", if he beat GSP he'd be a really fun champion. He'd be an intimidating bully and great to watch.

My latest post http://mmamunch.blogspot.com/
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:49 pm

I just go back to the GSP vs Shields fight. GSP wanted no part of Jake on the ground and Nick has a better bottom game than Jake. GSP's never gone to ground with someone who's that good on the ground and not a hell of a lot smaller than him.
    mattn1977
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  mattn1977 Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:38 pm

I'm not sure that GSP was scared to go to ground with Jake, I just think that he had a rigid gameplan to fight Jake where he's weakest...on his feet. Why risk it if you control where the fight takes place. Diaz maybe good off his back but he's been wrestled to losses before by inferior fighters than GSP. My head says that this fight is 70/30 in favour of Georges. As I said above though I do have a niggling feeling that this might just be Nick's "time".
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:10 pm

It'll be nearly 6 years since the last of those 3 UFC fights when Diaz steps in against GSP. He's improved his BJJ an enormous amount since back then.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 6:38 am