THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+11
Anfields5thKing
payneNglory1
rudeboyben84
manschesthair_utd
efils_god
Cowboys From Hell
Once Mohawked Pete
redmeanie77
Mryzyz
2brutal
Sheldan
15 posters

GSP VS Diaz and Penn VS Condit becomes GSP VS Condit and Penn VS Diaz!

Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

GSP VS Diaz and Penn VS Condit becomes GSP VS Condit and Penn VS Diaz! Empty GSP VS Diaz and Penn VS Condit becomes GSP VS Condit and Penn VS Diaz!

Post  Sheldan Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:21 pm

In a stunning development, Nick Diaz has effectively gone missing in action from the UFC, forcing company president Dana White to remove him from a UFC 137 welterweight championship match with Georges St-Pierre.

Diaz will be replaced by Carlos Condit, who was already scheduled to fight on the same night.

Diaz had been scheduled for press conferences Tuesday in Toronto and Wednesday in Las Vegas. White said that Diaz missed a series of flights for his Canada trip, and hasn't been heard from him since Monday night after the company tried to re-book him multiple times.

"I'd had my reservations about Nick Diaz for a long time," White said during a press conference at the Mandalay Bay Events Center. "You've heard me use the term 'play the game.' All I asked him for was this much. When he signed, I said, 'Let me tell you what kid, add up all the purses of you career, this will be biggest fight of your life.' You have the opportunity to fight GSP and win the welterweight title. But I need you to do certain things."

Diaz has always been notoriously media averse, but White said in his history of promoting over 1,600 fights, he's never had this happen. St-Pierre, too, was in a state of shock over the situation.

"I just don't understand why someone doesn't show up to an opportunity like this," St. Pierre said. "I just can't believe it. It's amazing. It's crazy."

"He was going to make life-changing money for this fight," White added. "And maybe the thing is with Nick Diaz, maybe he did crack under the pressure. Maybe he folded under the spotlight."

White said he wasn't yet sure if he would release Diaz, but acknowledged it was a possibility.

The already shocking press conference turned even more bizarre midway through, when Diaz's manager Cesar Gracie called White as he was on the podium and apologized for Diaz's behavior, saying he has been unable to locate him.

At that, St-Pierre shook his hand.

"Maybe he is here and he is going to come out and say, 'This is a prank,'" St-Pierre said. "Are you trying to prank me?"

White later mentioned that Diaz had been staying with Gracie at his house and "snuck out the back door." Since then, he's essentially gone missing. White said even Nick's brother Nate Diaz could offer no leads on his whereabouts.

The St-Pierre vs. Diaz fight was essentially a title unification bout, with Diaz recently surrendering the Strikeforce belt despite being the reigning champion in order to re-sign with the UFC. Diaz had won 10 straight fights leading up to the GSP matchup, but St-Pierre said he believes Condit is a more dangerous opponent.

"I do believe Carlos Condit is more dangerous than Nick Diaz," he said. "If they fought, I would put my money on Carlos Condit, so for me it's a bigger challenge."

Condit and St-Pierre were both stablemates at Team Greg Jackson, but St-Pierre said he had no issues with facing Condit.

White said that when he called Condit and offered him the title fight, Condit broke down crying in appreciation of the opportunity. White added that Condit immediately got on a plane to head to Las Vegas and meet with the press.

Shortly after the announcement, Condit released a statement voicing his excitement for the match.

"I've been fighting for nearly a decade and there has been a lot of blood, sweat and tears that has gone into that," he said. "A lot of sacrifices have been made both personally and professionally, and I'm looking forward to showing the UFC that I am deserving of this opportunity."

Diaz is 27-5 overall with four straight wins and victories in 12 of his last 13 bouts. St-Pierre (22-2) has held the UFC championship since recapturing the belt in August 2007, winning nine straight fights.

White said the change comes as a "pretty big financial blow" to the UFC, saying the promotion spent over $15,000 just in flights over the last two days. He also said completed advertising would have to be changed, and that tickets went on sale today for the October 29 event. Fans who purchased tickets expecting to see St-Pierre vs. Diaz will have the opportunity to receive a refund, though White said he wasn't expecting many to make those requests.

White said he was not yet sure of plans for Condit's originally scheduled opponent, BJ Penn.

Last edited by Sheldan on Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:10 am; edited 2 times in total
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

GSP VS Diaz and Penn VS Condit becomes GSP VS Condit and Penn VS Diaz! Empty Re: GSP VS Diaz and Penn VS Condit becomes GSP VS Condit and Penn VS Diaz!

Post  2brutal Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:24 pm

fuck me gutted was looking foward to that i think diaz had the best chance, condit is a beast and on form cue 5rounds wrestling,

wonder who bj penn fights,

back to japan for diaz what a cock he is
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

GSP VS Diaz and Penn VS Condit becomes GSP VS Condit and Penn VS Diaz! Empty Re: GSP VS Diaz and Penn VS Condit becomes GSP VS Condit and Penn VS Diaz!

Post  2brutal Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:27 pm

whos corner will greg jackson be in that is the ?
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:27 pm

Deflating. Very deflating.

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:31 pm

Diaz is such an idiot. I wonder if Zuffa will just cut him altogether. Let him go box....
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:35 pm

Wait Diaz was in a plane that crash landed today??? Anyone else read this?
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:40 pm

Dana just said that Cesar Gracie had Nick Diaz in his house so he could take him to get on the plane, and Nick Diaz snuck out of the back door, jesus christ.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:43 pm

Cesar Gracie doesn't even know where Diaz is. It doesn't seem that anyone does.

This is very potheaded behaviour.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:45 pm

Just scoured t'interweb, and there was a mention that his business manager has tweeted the following

JasonManly Jason Manly
    @
    @EllenbergerMMA @kcbanditmma his plane crashed bro have some respect! He’s safe and back training though…
    1 hour ago

All sounds a bit mental. With regards to the fight, even though I despise all things Diaz, he had IMO, the best chance of anyone to beat GSP. I expect a five round hump fest with GSP/Condit. Diaz surely will be dropped by UFC after this.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:50 pm

Yeah im not buying the whole plane crash thing after Cesar said Diaz snuck out and we cant find him. Really sucks for the fans.

Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:54 pm

So... Diaz failed to turn up to some promo events earlier in the month,missed two arranged flights to the presser, was at Cesar Gracies house so Cesar could make sure he got on a third flight, Diaz snook out of Cesars house, got on a different flight, which crashed, but it's all ok now and he's alright and back to training, although his coach (Cesar) still doesn't know where he is.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:56 pm

Damn what the fuck is Diaz playing at why would anyone piss away such a huge opportunity his childish behaviour is embarrassing for a grown man.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:10 am

Nick Diaz responds:

efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:56 am

why are they always driving in these videos?!

Anyway, glad you cleared that up Nick.....Basically you can't be arsed with the pressers but you are still ready to fight anyone. Great.

Think he'll be cut for this.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:05 am

i couldnt care less about the press conferences, i just wanted to see the fight.

fuck you dana white!
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:55 am

It's part of the business though, that's how it works and every fighter knows it. Diaz can't get special treatment just because he can't be arsed.

You can't blame Dana and the UFC for this.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:43 am

Diaz is an absolute fucking Idiot. I was actually looking forward to a GSP fight for once! Laughing I cant believe he didnt make 2 press confrences and still was supprised to be pulled from the fight. He needs to grow up badly because he has to play ball with the UFC if he wants to get the belt.

Best thing that could come from this is BJ Penn vs Nick Diaz, both fighters are training but dont have an opponent... or what about Fitch? I wonder if he will step in and fight one of them? It would be a good test for Diaz to see how he copes with a Wrestler trying to smother him.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:40 am

So Diaz is still under exclusive contract, even though pulled from the title fight that he "wanted". Loooooooool

BRING ON THE WRESTLERS!!! Fitch, Koscheck.

But first please feed Diaz to BJ Penn on the GSP-Condit card.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:20 pm

Diaz beats BJ IMO. Especially now that he doesn't do strength and conditioning anymore.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:23 pm

I agree mate, Diaz is so hard working and BJ has just ditched the strength and conditioning so he can get high more Laughing I really hope we see this fight... I wonder if they could pull Woodley from SF? Just a thought.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:44 pm

I honestly see Diaz fighting BJ now, taking him out of the main event and a title fight is punishment enough, I dont see them cutting a fighter as highly ranked as Diaz for missing a press confrence. I reckon that is what Dana whites mind blowing supprise is....

Or they could give BJ the fight with Andrei Arlovski he was after ages ago! Id love to see that!
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:00 pm

Penn vs Diaz seems mostlikely but knowing BJ and a supposed "crazy" fight being offered Maybe BJ is moving up to HW again Very Happy
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:06 pm

Penn vs Carwin! Id love to see that!
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:05 pm

Where has it been reported Penn has been offered a 'crazy' fight?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:31 pm

I'd put my money on Diaz or Melendez fight for BJ.

I suppose if Dana does decide to put Fitch in, then we really would not believe him to make that shit fight again..... Maybe thats what he meant in the PC yesterday?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 5:57 pm