THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+11
Anfields5thKing
payneNglory1
rudeboyben84
manschesthair_utd
efils_god
Cowboys From Hell
Once Mohawked Pete
redmeanie77
Mryzyz
2brutal
Sheldan
15 posters

GSP VS Diaz and Penn VS Condit becomes GSP VS Condit and Penn VS Diaz!

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

GSP VS Diaz and Penn VS Condit becomes GSP VS Condit and Penn VS Diaz! - Page 2 Empty Re: GSP VS Diaz and Penn VS Condit becomes GSP VS Condit and Penn VS Diaz!

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:40 pm

Fitch has offered to fight Diaz or BJ, Dana has ruled him out of the fight with Penn anyway.... I wonder what It could be? Maby they have forgiven Nate Marquartd? Nate vs BJ would be great!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

GSP VS Diaz and Penn VS Condit becomes GSP VS Condit and Penn VS Diaz! - Page 2 Empty Re: GSP VS Diaz and Penn VS Condit becomes GSP VS Condit and Penn VS Diaz!

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:20 pm

What a fool Diaz is,you get a shot at the UFC belt and a huge payday,by beating sub par to OK fighters in Strikeforce, and you fuck it up because you don't want to do your job and spend a few hours trying to sell your fight Sad

There's just no excuse,he got warned before any of this,that if he comes back to the UFC,he's got to play ball and do these press conferences.
    They aren't just for shits and giggles,they are an important part of a fighters job.

Maybe he is just a loud mouth,insecure kid with metal issues,who has just bottled it.
    He wouldn't take his test before the heiron fight,which strikeforce ended up having to scrap,and he never gave heiron another chance afterwards,he fought zaromskis and fucked off to dream instaed.
    then you have all the Mayhem shit.

He knew he had to do these,obviously he got told and warned by ZUFFA about missing the first few and then,when your coach has to try and babysit you,to get you on a flight,but you still run out of the back door,well that doesn't look like the signs of a guy that really wants to fight GSP.

make him earn his title shot now,throw him in with Fitch and see where he goes from there.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:50 pm

Diaz vs BJ would be a fantastic fight. Potential fight of the year.

Don't really know what to think about Diaz's actions to be honest. Anxiety attack maybe? He's had them before.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:06 pm

Cesar Gracie: 'I Can't Stick Up for Nick on This One'

Cesar Gracie, Nick Diaz's long-time manager and trainer, says he has stood behind Nick Diaz for years, but he can't defend his decision to not show up to the UFC 137 media days in Toronto and Las Vegas this week.

Instead, Gracie told MMAFighting.com that he stands behind the UFC's decision to remove Diaz from the UFC 137 main event against Georges St-Pierre in favor of Carlos Condit.

"I told Dana [White] he was right to have done that," Gracie said.

In fact, Gracie called White in the middle of the UFC's press conference to announce the main event switch to say as much.

"There's a lot of hard workers I see that have trouble putting food on the table for their kids," Gracie said. "I've stuck up for Nick a lot, but I can't stick up for him on this one."

Gracie said he last spoke to Diaz on Tuesday. That's when Diaz informed him that he couldn't find his passport and was not going to be able to fly to Toronto for that day's media obligations. The UFC excused Diaz for missing the Toronto leg of the trip, as long as he made it to Las Vegas.

"I would have driven him to Vegas if it came to that," Gracie said. "I don't care. He just turned his phone off and acted like a little kid. It just doesn't cut it."

In talking to Gracie, it's clear he's more disappointed than anything in Diaz's behavior considering how big this fight against St-Pierre was for him.

"Nick is like family to me. We're going to have a long discussion, hopefully with Dana, to see if he's still in the UFC or not. But let's face it, Nick is 28 years old. I talked to Dana about this before, and I think a big problem with all of this is Nick has social anxiety. He doesn't like to go and be away from home. He has no trouble fighting in the cage, though," Gracie said.

"You can't just not show up and [not] tell anyone anything."

At Wednesday's press conference, White suggested the pressure of fighting GSP got to Diaz, but Gracie quickly refuted that notion.

"He doesn't feel comfortable being around people," he said. "He has a very deep ingrained social anxiety, and it's something he probably needs help for, I think. I think that's why he self-medicates himself with the marijuana. That's my amateur opinion.

"He did the same crap with Paul Daley and a couple other guys. It was the same Nick Diaz. It's not the pressure of fighting GSP. It's the pressure of doing a news conference before the fight. Fighting is no pressure because he gets to beat someone up or get beat up."

Gracie isn't ready to severe ties with Diaz, though. Not when he needs him most. But he did offer his pupil a bit of advice through the media because that's the only way he can reach him right now.

"I've always been there to facilitate things for him and stuck up for him even when he was wrong. If I were him, I would be calling Dana at some point basically begging for my job and giving [me] another chance to fight for the title."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/09/07/cesar-gracie-i-cant-stick-up-for-nick-on-this-one/
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:28 pm

I think that this has to be some sort of 'self destruct' act from Diaz. He must have known that he would have been dropped, and TBH, I wouldn't be that surprised if he was cut. I would love to see Diaz against Penn or GSP, but my gut feeling is, that he will do his whole boxing thing and probably never fight in UFC again. Hope I'm wrong though, cos there is no doubting his talent.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:56 am

Awful news, gutted about this. There are many things I don't like about Diaz, but I never thought of him a ducker. Something else must have gone up. Condit is an ok replacement, but I don't think he's anywhere near GSP's level. His biggest weakness is GSP's biggest strength. I hope I'm wrong but I kind of see a repeat of GSP vs Hardy in this fight. I hope more than anything that GSP shows more aggression and hunger to finish the fight than the couple of fights. With GSP all the way either way.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:09 am

Just when things couldn't get even more crazier:

GSP VS Diaz and Penn VS Condit becomes GSP VS Condit and Penn VS Diaz! - Page 2 Untitl10
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:47 am

Yes i called it, BJ-Diaz should be an even better fight than GSP-Diaz fight, as GSP was just gonna play safe and score takedowns all 25mins. Diaz likes to come forward and wear people down with huge volume of punches and there was no way he was gonna do that to GSP.

People shouldnt sleep on Condit either!! He is improving leaps and bounds and is a really dangerous opponent for anyone at WW. He also has advantage of being at Jacksons and would have gotten a good look at GSP even though they never sparred apperently.

He has been working alot on his ground game also, does anyone have a gif of that sweep he did to DHK??? That was fucking beatiful!!!!
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:04 am

Here you go Meanie, I agree it was a great sweep, although the cage did come in handy.

GSP VS Diaz and Penn VS Condit becomes GSP VS Condit and Penn VS Diaz! - Page 2 1
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:33 am

Sheldan wrote:Just when things couldn't get even more crazier:

GSP VS Diaz and Penn VS Condit becomes GSP VS Condit and Penn VS Diaz! - Page 2 Untitl10

WE WANTED GSP VS DIAZ
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:05 am

Thanks Sheldan!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:18 am

Brilliant fight, BJ and Diaz always come to finish fights, none of this GSP holding a guy down or against a cage is winning a fight. Both these guys come to Knock you out or Choke you out. Fans of both men and the agressive Boxing/BJJ vs Boxing/BJJ fight should produce and epic

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:21 am

Diaz to win this fight by the way... I think Penn loves to keep fights standing in recent years. He has really taken his foot off the gas in terms of training again and it showed that since the 1st fight with edgar he couldnt hang with him in a rematch... Diaz on the other hand is one of the hardest working guys and has improved to the point he sparked Daley. Diaz' standup has to be better and he is bigger, I see him getting the better of the fight but BJ taking everything he throws in a gutsy performance.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:33 am

penn for me ud dont sleep on his takedowns
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:46 am

I think this is a real 50-50 fight TBH I like this fight more than the GSP fight and looking at the card overall It is far better looking card.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:58 am

BJ Penn Tko all day IMO. Diaz is way to reckless and has shitty defense. BJ is going to catch him and finish him. I can just imagine it now Diaz hands by his side talking shit and BJ knocking his head off.

To say this is a big step up in competition for Diaz would the understatement of the day.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:16 pm

Penn cant hang with Edgar on the feet (who isnt exactly the top of the 155ers striking wise)

Diaz beat Daley on the feet, who is pretty much top of the 170ers on the feet.

But an out of shape BJ is going to KO Diaz? Rolling Eyes
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:32 pm

edgar and diaz are nothing alike as strikers...this could go either way IMO.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:32 pm

Edgar is far more a stick and move type of fighter but it showed BJ's poor footwork that he can be picked apart. You can pick a fighter with bad footwork off with handspeed and range too... if BJ again if slow and plodding Diaz' blistering handspeed and length will make closing that gap very hard.

I dont doubt BJ's skill or toughness, he could catch Diaz in a sub or KO him and I fully expect him to soak up everything Diaz throws but is he going to KO a guy standing that Daley couldnt?

2brutal might have a point about TD's BJ's wresting is better and with a low centre of gravity in comparison it could be an idea but im sure this will more or less be a boxing match with BJ looking old.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:50 pm

No one Diaz has beaten is on same level as BJ Penn. Its all about match ups, Edgar style is really bad for BJ, he moves ridiculously fast and way too much, add in kicks and very well timed takedowns. BJ struggled to get anything going.

I just dont see Diaz style causing problems for BJ, Diaz has been dropped PLENTY of times and i have never seen BJ get rocked let alone dropped. BJ has really good boxing aswell. And as someone mentioned wrestling is there for him to use if he so wishes.

I really BJ catching Diaz coming in with same punch he caught Sanchez and either get tko or UD.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:24 pm

Thats the 2nd time Im reading that Diaz hasnt beaten anyone on BJ's level, which is strange because Gomi was the number 1 Lw in the world when Daiz choked him out BJ is ranked about 5th.. Just pointing that out.

People tend to Label Diaz a bit of a can crusher but Gomi was 2X the fighter then that BJ is now.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:24 pm

I think Diaz beats Penn. Far too much of a reach advantage. He can just stay outside and bust him up with the jab if he wants, but I imagine they'll go toe to toe and Diaz has too much cardio and throws too many punches for BJ imo. Should be a great fight.

Meanie makes the point about Penn catching Diaz with a punch like he caught Sanchez with, but Sanchez recklessly ran into that. Diaz won't.

Daley couldn't KO Diaz, Penn is not going to do it. And neither of them are going to sub the other. Diaz is just as good as BJ on the ground.

Wonder what happens if Diaz wins, does he get Condit in the new champs first defence. Razz
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:57 pm

I said Penn vs Diaz was the fight I most wanted to see in the near future, so I suppose I am happy.

Although it would have been nicer if the event was unchanged, because then it would have been Penn vs Diaz next year for the title.

Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:00 pm

I'm starting to think this was the idea from the start, Diaz is pulled from the main event because he can't be trusted to show up to fight, yet 24 hours later, suddenly UFC trusts him again. Also, at the press conference, UFC magically has a promo for GSP VS Condit, yet they apparently only decided Condit would step in an hour before the press conference.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:18 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Awful news, gutted about this. There are many things I don't like about Diaz, but I never thought of him a ducker. Something else must have gone up. Condit is an ok replacement, but I don't think he's anywhere near GSP's level. His biggest weakness is GSP's biggest strength. I hope I'm wrong but I kind of see a repeat of GSP vs Hardy in this fight. I hope more than anything that GSP shows more aggression and hunger to finish the fight than the couple of fights. With GSP all the way either way.

Condit is very good on the ground though, better than anyone GSP has beaten other than Penn, who he greased against and was much bigger, and Shields who he didn't go to the ground with. He's also got good power with a good reach and good timing. Plus he knows GSP really well having served as one of his main sparring partners for the Shields fight.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 11:28 am