THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+15
redmeanie77
The_Axe_Emperor
gre660wl
ChelseaQuinsfan
2brutal
Anfields5thKing
Mryzyz
Cowboys From Hell
superman_punch
Once Mohawked Pete
Chimezero
Mannpagejackson
Sheldan
p4pnumber_1
rudeboyben84
19 posters

Poll: Who beats Bones?

Poll

Who beats Bones?

[ 1 ]
    Poll: Who beats Bones? - Page 6 I_vote_lcap8%Poll: Who beats Bones? - Page 6 I_vote_rcap [8%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Poll: Who beats Bones? - Page 6 I_vote_lcap8%Poll: Who beats Bones? - Page 6 I_vote_rcap [8%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Poll: Who beats Bones? - Page 6 I_vote_lcap15%Poll: Who beats Bones? - Page 6 I_vote_rcap [15%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Poll: Who beats Bones? - Page 6 I_vote_lcap0%Poll: Who beats Bones? - Page 6 I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Poll: Who beats Bones? - Page 6 I_vote_lcap0%Poll: Who beats Bones? - Page 6 I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 2 ]
    Poll: Who beats Bones? - Page 6 I_vote_lcap15%Poll: Who beats Bones? - Page 6 I_vote_rcap [15%] 
    [ 7 ]
    Poll: Who beats Bones? - Page 6 I_vote_lcap54%Poll: Who beats Bones? - Page 6 I_vote_rcap [54%] 

Total Votes: 13
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Poll: Who beats Bones? - Page 6 Empty Re: Poll: Who beats Bones?

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:45 pm

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:I understand where you are coming from, but, you can surely understand folk thinking that the performance was (at least partly) down to Shogun being in poor shape, bearing in mind some of the past performances from Shogun, ie Coleman and Griffin, and you can understand why someone would have reservations about the win.

Admittedly, it does seem to be in-vogue to criticise wins from newcomers (I think this stems from so many folk getting caught out with the Lesnar bandwagon), and you can only beat what's put in front of you, but all I'm saying, is that I would like to see him tested in the stand up.............Oh, and I still think Rashad has got inside his head.

At last a voice of reason! I understand what you're saying, its just i don't see why it's so hard to praise Jones for what was an immaculate performance. Sure, Shogun may not have been completely fit, but for what a youngster like Bones did to him that certainly warrants credit where its due!

As for Rashad, that's a-whole-nother wormhole you're opening my mohawked friend Neutral
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:54 pm

I think in a sport that so full of egos, it can become very polarising for fans. You only need to look at the reactions by some (and I include myself here) on the likes of Lesnar, Wandy, Bitchping, Machida, Tito....the list goes on. I think that a lot of the criticism (and a lot of the praise) has to taken with a 'pinch of salt', I don't think that anyone (with any great conviction) could say that Jones is a poor fighter, but I still think, that as LHW champion, he's still got a bit to prove. I just hope that I'm wrong about the upcoming snooze-fest with Machida.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:10 am

Axe I reckon Shogun that turned up was shit but thats what you get with Shogun these days, you compare the 1st Machida fight to the 2nd one and theres a huge difference, Same for the Forrest fight. He didnt get totally done in against either when he lost but he is really hot and cold and he looked off form that night but thats not Jones problem, an underperforming Shogun still beats most Lhw's. So a shit shogun for me is still like beating a solid top top 10.

Rampage looked shit, was he underprepared? No. Out of Shape? No. Rampage fights the same way every fight since he has been in the UFC (and more so when he joined Wolfslair) and he did the same for this. Only differnce is he got totally overwhelemed, not the prettyest performance from Bones but a clear cut win over a top 5 guy who would have turned up that night fought the same fight and beat anyone bar a select few 205ers. Jones made him look bad and while I say Bones only beat an unagressive Rampage I suppose it was Bones dominating him which made him fight like that.

Bader was top 10 verging on top 5 I think, on reflection top 5 is higher than he will get again but he is still in our top 15

Vlad top 15ish

Vera top should have been top 15 I think he beat Jardine and he DID beat Couture no two ways about it Wink

Hamill was top 15ish

Any other fighter who tore through that quality of opposition would get more praise. I see him like he is the best Lhw around but I hate hearing he talked about as the best thing to happen to MMA its a little premature for him to be getting Anderson and GSP style praise when he hasnt faced the tests they have.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:00 am

As one of the more ardent Shogun fans here, I have to say I don't buy the 10% Shogun shit. Would 100% Shogun ever stop a Jones takedown? I'm not convinced he could, nor do I think he'd have any better chance at sweeping him, nor would he ever just tap Jones at will from guard.

I dislike Jones but I think people try to detract from his achievements because of his personality. If he was a quirky humble Japanese fighter everyone would be beside themselves in adoration.

If he beats Machida he'll have had the best year any MMA fighter will have ever had by a stretch.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:09 am

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:Bader wasn't overrated til Jones demolished him. Shogun was hurt five seconds into their fight by a jumping knee from Jones, people seem to forget that, that would have taken ALOT out of him and probably would have KO'd lesser chins. And most of you were backing Rampage to KO Jones but now all of a sudden he's past it and wasn't motivated... Hmmm.

I'm not even gonna reply to any comments to this (Anfield) because I know there'll be the same old excuses. You can find bad points about ANYONE'S wins, heck Fedor Was beating up bums for the majority of his career yet he's the GOAT scratch

I'm just gonna sit back and laugh every time I read one of the many so called weaknesses of The LHW Champ brought up, because as of yet, we've seen NONE.

Now off you fuck like good lads...

You shouldn't reply.

You've embarrassed yourself enough with this drivel.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:42 am

Laughing That the best you've got Anfield? I'm disappointed in you.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:24 pm

The Rampage win was a great win after watching the fight again (I'll be honest It wasn't must see IMO) sure Rampage was very disappointing and wasn't overly active (I've mentioned before he needs to leave Wolfslair IMO) but that was all down to Jones he made Rampage very uncomfortable in the fight and clearly frustrated the hell out of him like Forrest did.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:31 pm

Cowboys From Hell wrote:The Rampage win was a great win after watching the fight again (I'll be honest It wasn't must see IMO) sure Rampage was very disappointing and wasn't overly active (I've mentioned before he needs to leave Wolfslair IMO) but that was all down to Jones he made Rampage very uncomfortable in the fight and clearly frustrated the hell out of him like Forrest did.

I understand what you're saying, especially about Wolfslair, I just think that Rampage has forgotten or is inable to do what used to make hm so good. He's bascally turned into a very one dimensional boxer..He hardly utilises the kick, he's forgotten how to take folk down, and doesn't even seem to throw that many combinations anymore. He's plods forward looking for the one punch KO. I spent the entire Evans fight shouting at the TV, and I stopped after about half a round in the Jones fight. Again, I will say that Jones can only beat what's put in front of him, but I would love to see someone put him under some serious pressure.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:01 pm

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:
    Cowboys From Hell wrote:The Rampage win was a great win after watching the fight again (I'll be honest It wasn't must see IMO) sure Rampage was very disappointing and wasn't overly active (I've mentioned before he needs to leave Wolfslair IMO) but that was all down to Jones he made Rampage very uncomfortable in the fight and clearly frustrated the hell out of him like Forrest did.

I understand what you're saying, especially about Wolfslair, I just think that Rampage has forgotten or is inable to do what used to make hm so good. He's bascally turned into a very one dimensional boxer..He hardly utilises the kick, he's forgotten how to take folk down, and doesn't even seem to throw that many combinations anymore. He's plods forward looking for the one punch KO. I spent the entire Evans fight shouting at the TV, and I stopped after about half a round in the Jones fight. Again, I will say that Jones can only beat what's put in front of him, but I would love to see someone put him under some serious pressure.

Absolutely agree on Jones under pressure (physically of mentally) I was really hoping Rampage would do this but he didn't which as you was extremely frustrating to watch.

I think the beauty of the Machida fight mentally this could be a nightmare for Jones I would imagine the Machida gameplan would be to frustrate Jones TBH I think Jones will struggle to get Machida down.

Apart form Evans I think Machida is probably the only man to dethrone Jones (Has a Shogun fan I pains me to not mention him)
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:17 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:Laughing That the best you've got Anfield? I'm disappointed in you.

Claiming that the Shogun that fought Bones could have been the best Shogun ever shows you haven't a fucking clue what you're talking about.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:18 pm

Cowboys From Hell wrote:
    Once Mohawked Pete wrote:

Absolutely agree on Jones under pressure (physically of mentally) I was really hoping Rampage would do this but he didn't which as you was extremely frustrating to watch.

I think the beauty of the Machida fight mentally this could be a nightmare for Jones I would imagine the Machida gameplan would be to frustrate Jones TBH I think Jones will struggle to get Machida down.

Apart form Evans I think Machida is probably the only man to dethrone Jones (Has a Shogun fan I pains me to not mention him)

Don't worry, Jones has the master of strategy Greg Jackson in his corner, look at the success he had last time one of his fight got in the cage with Machida.............no wait, that didn't go very well.

This poll can be closed now. The answer is Machida. Unless Bones pulls out, which wouldn't be at all surprising.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:31 pm