THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+30
p4pnumber_1
Mannpagejackson
2brutal
KalDog
Ronwah
Sly Uses
Sheldan
Mryzyz
Shanemc
Once Mohawked Pete
pinsman
FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
kavik2
toonswagger
manschesthair_utd
Ginginho
poz
efils_god
redmeanie77
GSPfan11
sunthunder
payneNglory1
Albion_Oakley
the_king
hendos_right_hook
Moose Stuff For Money...
ChelseaQuinsfan
SirSquatAlot
Anfields5thKing
The_Axe_Emperor
34 posters

Football discussion

efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Football discussion - Page 31 Empty Re: Football discussion

Post  efils_god Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:44 pm

FOWLERSHIGHFIVE wrote:
    Once Mohawked Pete wrote:
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE wrote:
    efils_god wrote:What a disgracve Suarez is! For once i agree with SAF!

Where does it say in the rules of association football that you must shake hands with your opponent before a match???

I personally think that he let himself and LFC down. He had the chance to put this 'to bed' once and for all, and be a man about it all. In the end, fotball was the loser here mate. Rather than everyone talking about a really good game of football, we are all still talking about racism.

He still feels he's been wronged so why should he shake the hand of a man who in his opinion is a liar??? No one batted an eyelid when Wayne Bridge snubbed Terry. The FA decided that in the FA cup they would not hold the handshake between QPR & Chelsea so why did the premier league insist on it taking place yesterday??

So everyone is saying Suarez is a disgrace for simply refusing to shake the hand of a man who he feels has told lies about him.......Don't forget he was only found guilty by a Premier League panel, not by the CPS!

That's nonsense. Evra did not lie, nobody doubts that, it's been proved and suarez didn't deny it. And Wayne Bridge as an example is nonsense also. There would have been an uproar (although not as muuch, since not race related) if Bridge had tried to shake, and Terry had refused.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:53 pm

Good article from the Guardian on the matter:

In the end, it was difficult to know what was the more depressing and shocking: that moment when Luis Suárez walked past Patrice Evra, refused to shake his hand and reminded us this is a man whose brains are all in his feet, or afterwards when Kenny Dalglish tried to stare down the questions before coming up with a response that was so outlandishly flawed it made you wonder where he was storing all the qualities which we once associated with him?

What Suárez did was callous, premeditated and dimwitted to the point that, if Liverpool had any sense, they would have condemned it on the spot and at least salvaged a semblance of dignity. Instead, they reverted to their default setting whenever Suárez comes under scrutiny: this half-baked conspiracy that everyone is against them and that the only way to combat this is to go on the attack themselves. Outraged by everything, ashamed of nothing.

Perhaps we should be used to it by now but it was still shocking to see Dalglish, one of the giants of our game, eyeballing his interviewer and tell him that it was "bang out of order" to suggest that Suárez had done anything even remotely wrong.

At least Sir Alex Ferguson, so aggrieved he said Suárez should never be allowed to wear Liverpool's colours again, could step out of his own anger to acknowledge that Patrice Evra should have resisted his post-match victory dance.

This was the moment when Dalglish should have taken a deep breath and admitted that, yes, it was wrong of Suárez, unhelpful and immature, and he would be pointing this out to his player. Instead, he played dumb. He had no idea what had happened in the fair-play handshake and, in the absence of a polygraph, Robert De Niro would have been proud of his dramatic pose.

Then he realised the questions were not going to end there and it was here the paranoia, the blind bias and pigheaded denials all merged into one.

At one point he switched the subject to blame Sky. "When we had the FA Cup tie, because there was no 24-hour news channel, nothing happened." He cited the fact there were only two bookings in this game, ignoring that there were two separate flash points when police and fluorescent-jacketed security guards had to separate the players. Most pathetically of all, there were suggestions later on it was actually Evra who withdrew his hand. It was claptrap and, wisely, nobody from Anfield dared say it on the record.

Perhaps Suárez felt he had to corroborate the line that he has peddled all along, namely that it was all a bunch of spiteful lies on Evra's behalf. Plainly, he still maintains that calling someone "negro" during an argument is fine for a Spanish speaker, even if one of the best QCs in the country had deemed parts of his defence were "unsustainable and simply incredible". It is difficult, to be honest, to know what was going on between his ears.

"I couldn't believe it," Ferguson said. "I just could not believe it. We had a chat this morning and Patrice said: 'I'm going to shake his hand, I have nothing to be ashamed of, I'm going to keep my dignity.' And he [Suárez] refuses. The history that club has got … and he does that. It could have caused a riot. I was really disappointed in that guy."

Evra had grabbed Suárez's arm to remonstrate but it was just as quickly pulled away again. Rio Ferdinand looked at Suárez with contempt. "I lost all respect for the guy," Ferdinand said later. "After seeing what he did, I decided I couldn't shake his hand." From Danny Welbeck, there was only the briefest touch of flesh on flesh. These players had agonised this week about whether they should conform and, in the end, they decided they had to do it because the alternative would be that they kept the racism issue going. "The referee didn't know what to do," Ferguson said. "It was a terrible start to the game, a terrible atmosphere it created."

Ferguson had written in his programme notes that his "biggest regret is the way Patrice has been castigated in some quarters for standing up to racism". Now he let it all out. "For a club with their history, I'd get rid of him, I really would," he said. "Liverpool Football Club have a player banned for eight matches, and they've tried to blame Patrice Evra? It's him they should be bloody blaming. He could have cost them a European place. He is a disgrace to Liverpool Football Club. That player should not be allowed to play for Liverpool again."
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:28 pm

Thanks tho Sheldan.....

Football discussion - Page 31 29mwpc1

Football 1-0 Racist cunt
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  FOWLERSHIGHFIVE Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:27 pm

efils_god wrote:
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE wrote:
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE wrote:

Where does it say in the rules of association football that you must shake hands with your opponent before a match???

I personally think that he let himself and LFC down. He had the chance to put this 'to bed' once and for all, and be a man about it all. In the end, fotball was the loser here mate. Rather than everyone talking about a really good game of football, we are all still talking about racism.

He still feels he's been wronged so why should he shake the hand of a man who in his opinion is a liar??? No one batted an eyelid when Wayne Bridge snubbed Terry. The FA decided that in the FA cup they would not hold the handshake between QPR & Chelsea so why did the premier league insist on it taking place yesterday??

So everyone is saying Suarez is a disgrace for simply refusing to shake the hand of a man who he feels has told lies about him.......Don't forget he was only found guilty by a Premier League panel, not by the CPS!

That's nonsense. Evra did not lie, nobody doubts that, it's been proved and suarez didn't deny it. And Wayne Bridge as an example is nonsense also. There would have been an uproar (although not as muuch, since not race related) if Bridge had tried to shake, and Terry had refused.

It was Evra's word against Suarez's so how in that proof??? The Premier League are up Uniteds aresholes so they took his word over Suarez's. If it was such undeniable evidence why hasn't it been passed on to the CPS????

If anyone is to blame for the whole situation it's the Premier League for the way they handled it...........The whole handshake before the game is a load of shit anyway. It's a professional competitive support not a game of kiss chase!!!
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:28 pm

Two statements that have just been released:

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez has today issued the following apology:

"I have spoken with the Manager since the game at Old Trafford and I realise I got things wrong.

"I've not only let him down, but also the Club and what it stands for and I'm sorry. I made a mistake and I regret what happened.

"I should have shaken Patrice Evra's hand before the game and I want to apologise for my actions.

"I would like to put this whole issue behind me and concentrate on playing football."

Liverpool Managing Director Ian Ayre has today released the following statement.

"We are extremely disappointed Luis Suarez did not shake hands with Patrice Evra before yesterday's game. The player had told us beforehand that he would, but then chose not to do so.

"He was wrong to mislead us and wrong not to offer his hand to Patrice Evra. He has not only let himself down, but also Kenny Dalglish, his teammates and the Club. It has been made absolutely clear to Luis Suarez that his behaviour was not acceptable.

"Luis Suarez has now apologised for his actions which was the right thing to do. However, all of us have a duty to behave in a responsible manner and we hope that he now understands what is expected of anyone representing Liverpool Football Club."
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:45 pm

FOWLERSHIGHFIVE wrote:
    efils_god wrote:
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE wrote:
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE wrote:

It was Evra's word against Suarez's so how in that proof??? The Premier League are up Uniteds aresholes so they took his word over Suarez's. If it was such undeniable evidence why hasn't it been passed on to the CPS????

If anyone is to blame for the whole situation it's the Premier League for the way they handled it...........The whole handshake before the game is a load of shit anyway. It's a professional competitive support not a game of kiss chase!!!

So you reckon that there should be NO respect shown between either sets of players? How about a return to the old days, where violence was frequent and Monkey chants graced black players? Sorry to go off on one, but Liverpool supporters and their blinkered view of football, and how the rest of the EPL owes you a fcking debt, rally get's on my tits. A player wearing a Liverpool shirt done something wrong, he and the rest of LFC should fucking man up about it. I really cannot be arsed with this shit, and I'm pissed off at Liverpool FC and their fans, and Suarez for making THIS the main talking point in football.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:34 pm

I didn't really want to comment on this situation because I would probably show bias but here I go. Fact of the matter is that Suarez was found guilty of using racist language to Patrice Evra by the FA. He served his punishment (A punishment which I thought he was lucky to be so short) and now he is back playing football. He could have brought an end to this whole situation and earned himself a lot of respect if he had shook Evra's hand but instead he choose not to. The way he and Liverpool have behaved shows that they are condoning racism by making Evra out to be the victim in all of this. For people to say Suarez was right not to shake Evra's hand because in his opinion Evra lied, well Suarez lied by telling Liverpool he would shake Evra's hand and then didn't, so lying obviously isn't high on Suarez's list of morales, especially when he lies week in week out when diving and trying to con the referee (ok a bit of bias is starting to shine through so I'll wrap this up). Liverpool have come out today and issued a handful of statements apologising for what Suarez did yesterday, hopefully now this can bring an end to the matter and we can start concentrating on the football being played instead of situations like this.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:36 pm

And now a statement from Dalglish, looks like the owners have finally stepped in to avoid Liverpool making an even bigger embarrassment of themselves.

Liverpool Manager Kenny Dalglish today insisted Luis Suarez is right to apologise for failing to shake Patrice Evra's hand at Old Trafford.

"Ian Ayre has made the Club's position absolutely clear and it is right that Luis Suarez has now apologised for what happened at Old Trafford," said Dalglish.

"To be honest, I was shocked to hear that the player had not shaken hands having been told earlier in the week that he would do.

"But as Ian said earlier, all of us have a responsibility to represent this Club in a fit and proper manner and that applies equally to me as Liverpool Manager.

"When I went on TV after yesterday's game I hadn't seen what had happened, but I did not conduct myself in a way befitting of a Liverpool Manager during that interview and I'd like to apologise for that."
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:43 pm

Sheldan wrote:And now a statement from Dalglish, looks like the owners have finally stepped in to avoid Liverpool making an even bigger embarrassment of themselves.

Liverpool Manager Kenny Dalglish today insisted Luis Suarez is right to apologise for failing to shake Patrice Evra's hand at Old Trafford.

"Ian Ayre has made the Club's position absolutely clear and it is right that Luis Suarez has now apologised for what happened at Old Trafford," said Dalglish.

"To be honest, I was shocked to hear that the player had not shaken hands having been told earlier in the week that he would do.

"But as Ian said earlier, all of us have a responsibility to represent this Club in a fit and proper manner and that applies equally to me as Liverpool Manager.

"When I went on TV after yesterday's game I hadn't seen what had happened, but I did not conduct myself in a way befitting of a Liverpool Manager during that interview and I'd like to apologise for that."

I think that this is all fans want. I'm a Toon fan, so there's no bias from me, I think Dalglish was caught off guard yesterday, and obviously the media were after a soundbyte. I can't help feeling that this could all have been avoided, but apologies have now been made, and hopefully we can get back to football now.

Anyone think Spuds will last the distance? They looked fucking awesome yesterday and now 5pts off top spot, with ManUre, Chelski and Arsenal still to play? If they can get Adebayor and Saha playing like that, week in week out, they could be huge dangers to the two Manchester clubs.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:10 pm

Man United response:

Reds accept rivals' apology

Manchester United thanks Liverpool for the apologies issued following Saturday's game.

Everyone at Old Trafford wants to move on from this. The history of our two great clubs is one of success and rivalry unparalleled in British football.

That should be the focus in the future of all those who love the clubs.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:55 pm

efils_god wrote:
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE wrote:
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE wrote:

Evra changed his story and nothing was proven. Learn the facts of the case before spouting off.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:58 pm

Where's Evra's apology for dropping his hand and not offering it to Suarez? Where's his apology for trying to start a fight in the tunnel at half time? Where's his apology for his actions at the end of the match?

Anyone who thinks that a handshake would have ended anything clearly hasn't the first clue what they are talking about. Would it have stopped Manchester United fans from selling t-shirts outside OT with slanderous comments? Would it have stopped a United fanzine from publishing a magazine with a KKK hood as a cut out on the front? Would it have stopped United fans from chanting at Suarez?

No it would not.

Where's the apology from the United fans for any of this?

Where's the apology from Ferguson for his hilarious and hypocritical comments after the match? A man who has stood by Eric Cantona, Roy Keane, Rio Ferdinand, Wayne Rooney and Ryan Giggs when they have committed disgraceful actions one and off the pitch. A man who stood by Peter Schmeiceal when he was accused of racism(in a case with far more evidence than the Suarez-Evra fiasco). A man who has in career TWICE assaulted players in the dressing room. He should keep his mouth firmly shut when it comes to talking about being a disgrace.

Classless from United, as always.

Fact of the matter is there should not have been a handshake. Suarez doesn't like Evra because he feels he has been wrong and that his career has been tarnished by it. Evra doesn't like Suarez because he feels he was abused. Would any of you shake the hand of a man you don't like after such an ordeal?

The whole handshake thing is bullshit.

Sky were looking for a reason to make a big deal out of the whole thing and their coverage of the entire match from thursday onwards has been farcical.

And that article from the Guardian is hilariously poor and written by a man with clear United bias (he has written two ass-kissing books about Ferguson).
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:12 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:Where's Evra's apology for dropping his hand and not offering it to Suarez? Where's his apology for trying to start a fight in the tunnel? Where's his apology for his actions at the end of the match?

Anyone stupid enough to think that a handshake would have ended anything clearly hasn't the first clue what they are talking about. Would it have stopped Manchester United fans from selling t-shirts outside OT with slanderous comments? Would it have stopped a United fanzine from publishing a magazine with a KKK hood as a cut out on the front? Would it have stopped United fans from chanting at Suarez?

No it would not.

Where's the apology from Ferguson for his hilarious and hypocritical comments after the match?

Fact of the matter is there should not have been a handshake. Suarez doesn't like Evra because he feels he has been wrong and that his career has been tarnished by it. Evra doesn't like Suarez because he feels he was abused. Would any of you shake the hand of a man you don't like?

The whole handshake thing is bullshit. Sky were looking for a reason to make a big deal out of the whole thing.

And that article from the Guardian is hilariously poor.

Sorr Anfield, but you are wrong on this count dude. Only the most biased could say that Evra 'dropped' his hand an refused to shake Suarez's. I despise Red Nose, but, you'd need to clarify how he was hypocritical. I hate to say it, but ManUre have come out of this well, IMO, and that's one of the reasons why I'm so dissapointed in LFC, their actions have made ManUre look good. Sky may well have been looking for a story, but why the fuck would Suarez want to give it to them? And as for showing your opposition a modicum of respect being ridiculous? I suppose that this is just a sign of the times. What ever happened to a hard fair game, and then shaking each others hand? And as for what went on in the tunnel? Where you in the tunnel? Or did you get this nugget from a 'reliable source'. I am prepared for the inevitable slurs from yourself Anfield, I would like to think that there could be a sensible discussion here, but I fear that it will be the inevitable name calling and 'he who shouts loudest' argument.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:21 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:Where's Evra's apology for dropping his hand and not offering it to Suarez? Where's his apology for trying to start a fight in the tunnel? Where's his apology for his actions at the end of the match?

Anyone stupid enough to think that a handshake would have ended anything clearly hasn't the first clue what they are talking about. Would it have stopped Manchester United fans from selling t-shirts outside OT with slanderous comments? Would it have stopped a United fanzine from publishing a magazine with a KKK hood as a cut out on the front? Would it have stopped United fans from chanting at Suarez?

No it would not.

Where's the apology from Ferguson for his hilarious and hypocritical comments after the match?

Fact of the matter is there should not have been a handshake. Suarez doesn't like Evra because he feels he has been wrong and that his career has been tarnished by it. Evra doesn't like Suarez because he feels he was abused. Would any of you shake the hand of a man you don't like?

The whole handshake thing is bullshit. Sky were looking for a reason to make a big deal out of the whole thing.

And that article from the Guardian is hilariously poor.

Sorr Anfield, but you are wrong on this count dude. Only the most biased could say that Evra 'dropped' his hand an refused to shake Suarez's. I despise Red Nose, but, you'd need to clarify how he was hypocritical. I hate to say it, but ManUre have come out of this well, IMO, and that's one of the reasons why I'm so dissapointed in LFC, their actions have made ManUre look good. Sky may well have been looking for a story, but why the fuck would Suarez want to give it to them? And as for showing your opposition a modicum of respect being ridiculous? I suppose that this is just a sign of the times. What ever happened to a hard fair game, and then shaking each others hand? And as for what went on in the tunnel? Where you in the tunnel? Or did you get this nugget from a 'reliable source'. I am prepared for the inevitable slurs from yourself Anfield, I would like to think that there could be a sensible discussion here, but I fear that it will be the inevitable name calling and 'he who shouts loudest' argument.

Firstly, Evra clearly dropped his hand when Henderson walked past and Suarez stepped in front of him. Watch it carefully. Suarez had his hand out, Evra's was by his side. Suarez didn't stop to try and shake Evra's hand, which he maybe should have, but Evra didn't make an effort to shake Suarez's until AFTER Suarez had moved on to DeGea. At which point Evra aggressively put his hands on Suarez.

Numerous United players have done far worse things than not shake the hand of a man they believed lied about them. For the drunken scot to come out and say Suarez was a disgrace and should be sold because of his actions yesterday is hypocritical given the players he has stood by, as well as his own actions in the past.

Sky reported, at half time, that Evra ran down the tunnel shouting at Suarez and Skrtel was forced to step in front of him which led to the skirmish. Ferguson attempted to blame Suarez for this. Did Suarez chase Evra? No he did not. Suarez didn't nearly cause a riot. Evra did.

As for the handshake, after the match has been played, or in the tunnel before the game, is fine. Players could shake hands with who they wanted etc etc. This forced public spectacle before the match is bullshit.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:32 pm

With regards to Evra 'dropping'his hand, I've seen the footage a number of times and from several angles, and I still don't see Evra doing this.

With regards to Evra 'lying' I honestly believe that this was a matter of something being said, and taken the wrong way, I also believe, that if Suarez had apologised, this would have gone away almost without incident. Suarez doesn't feel he'sdone omething wrong? No problem, simply apologise that his words had no bad intent, and apologise that Evra felt that there was intent. LFC shuld have put this to bed way before now.

Point made with regards to Ferguson and Man Ure players, I have no love for either the club, nor their players.

Using Sky sources (bearing in mind you say that they were looking for a story) is a little bit weak TBH, but, as I wasn't there myself, I have no real idea about what went on, in that tunnel.

I don't see anything wrong with an organistaion wanting to make a demonstration of respect between fellow pro's, I think that players sometimes forget, that they are professional, an when they go out onto that pitch they are representing their club and should behave accordingly.

Anyway, I'm gald that it's been 'resolved' and we can get back to football matters. And cheers for not dragging this into an insult hurling competition Anfield.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:51 pm

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:With regards to Evra 'dropping'his hand, I've seen the footage a number of times and from several angles, and I still don't see Evra doing this.

With regards to Evra 'lying' I honestly believe that this was a matter of something being said, and taken the wrong way, I also believe, that if Suarez had apologised, this would have gone away almost without incident. Suarez doesn't feel he'sdone omething wrong? No problem, simply apologise that his words had no bad intent, and apologise that Evra felt that there was intent. LFC shuld have put this to bed way before now.

Point made with regards to Ferguson and Man Ure players, I have no love for either the club, nor their players.

Using Sky sources (bearing in mind you say that they were looking for a story) is a little bit weak TBH, but, as I wasn't there myself, I have no real idea about what went on, in that tunnel.

I don't see anything wrong with an organistaion wanting to make a demonstration of respect between fellow pro's, I think that players sometimes forget, that they are professional, an when they go out onto that pitch they are representing their club and should behave accordingly.

Anyway, I'm gald that it's been 'resolved' and we can get back to football matters. And cheers for not dragging this into an insult hurling competition Anfield.

Every angle shows Evra dropping his hand to his waist from where it was when he shook Henderson's hand.

Evra changed his story on a number of issues and was found to have lied with regards to his altercation with Kuyt. He also admitted abusing Suarez before Suarez said anything back to him. Yet the handpicked committee found him to be a credible witness. The FA's disciplinary process has a 99% "conviction" rate because when they bring charges, they have already decided that the player is guilty. The whole thing was a farce. Had there been any evidence at all, it would have been a matter for the police. There wasn't and the thing became a fiasco.

Sky reported the incident at the time and as the players walked off at halftime Suarez was walking with Skrtel and was well ahead of Evra who broke into a jog as Suarez disappeared down the tunnel. Then they went to a commercial and when they came back it was reported that Evra had tried to confront Suarez. Yet Ferguson has decided that it was Suarez's fault.

Players should not be forced to shake hands like that. It's meaningless and pointless. Football managed to exist for decades without it. Why is it suddenly important? Would Keane and Vieira have done it? Not a chance. They hated each other and had even less reason to do so than Evra and Suarez.

Well it would be nice if things were focusing on football, but the british media seem intent on making a circus out things.

I figured that after the result the Toon got yesterday, I should be nice to you. That, and you're one of the people on this site I respect the most.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:53 pm

IN BREAKING NEWS:

Patrice Evra is still on the pitch at Old Trafford waiting to be presented with the world cup winners medal he apparently won yesterday.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:56 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:IN BREAKING NEWS:

Patrice Evra is still on the pitch at Old Trafford waiting to be presented with the world cup winners medal he apparently won yesterday.

I don't think Liverpool fans can exactly make jokes about over celebrating after their celebrations when they reached the Carling Cup final.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:39 pm

Whilst I don't think Evra is completely innocent, I do think that Suarez fucked up, and ensured that the focus would be entirely on him and LFC. I think that he and Liverpool made it easy for the FA, a well timed 'apology' meant or not, could have nippedthe whole thing in the bud.

As I say, not goint to argue too much about the tunnel incident, as I don't know enough about it, I wasn't watching during the half time carry on.

With regards to the Media, of course they're going to try and blow it up, but, as I said, Suarez and LFC have made things very easy for them.

Cheers for not mentioning the Spuds game Anfield.... Crying or Very sad In truth, we were outplayed by them atour gaff, so wasn't really expecting too much away. Playing two up front, when we've been playing 4-2-3-1 in rcent weeks, didn't help, certainly not with the absence of Cabaye and Tiote anyway.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:55 pm

Sheldan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:IN BREAKING NEWS:

I don't think Liverpool fans can exactly make jokes about over celebrating after their celebrations when they reached the Carling Cup final.

Liverpool players celebrated as any team reaching a cup final would. Patrice Evra celebrated a league win with more gusto than he celebrated United's CL win a few years back in a pathetic attempt to get a reaction from Suarez after his half-time antics failed.

Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:02 pm

As a Liverpool fan, Suarez should have just shaken Evra's hand and been done with it, though I can understand why he wouldn't want to. I thought Evra withdrew his hand slightly as Suarez approached but as Suarez has admitted that he didn't go for his hand anyway, it doesn't make much difference.

For those people calling Suarez racist, he isn't. He said something that some cultures deem racist while I believe his intention was not racist. Why would he admit to using the word "negrita" to the FA if he believed he thought it would lead to all this, especially when it was basically his word against Evra's, and given Evra's form, could possibly have got away with it if he just denied it?? It is just one of those sorts of communication fuck ups that happens in modern multi-cultural societies. Evra's perception of the comment was different to the intent of Suarez.

Liverpool and Suarez exasperated the issue by being overly defensive and attacking Evra instead of just saying it is a cultural mix-up, which they did to some extent. The media doesn't help with it's sensationalist approach, immediately labelling Suarez as a racist and Liverpool just as bad for defending racism, when that was never the case. This then brings the fringe National Front lunatics out and the problem is made worse.

While I don't believe in discrimination against anyone for any reason, this sort of "racism" draws away from real discrimination and racist hatred. Has Evra being black cost him any job opportunities or any hardships?? Has he been beaten or tortured because he is the wrong race or culture?? I've seen footage somewhere on the net of Evra calling other people niggers so why is it ok for him?? If he called Steve Sidwell a ginger tosser would he get an 8 week suspension and labelled as "racist cunt"?? Footballers calling each other names has nothing on being imprisoned because you have different beliefs or tortured because you are the wrong colour.

The whole problem was started by Evra's over-sensitivity and fuelled by Liverpool's approach to correcting the misunderstanding (best explained by Pete) and a media looking for a big story. Suarez should have just said right at the beginning, "I am sorry for offending you, I didn't intend for my comment to be racist" and let it rest.

Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:30 pm

Ginginho wrote:As a Liverpool fan, Suarez should have just shaken Evra's hand and been done with it, though I can understand why he wouldn't want to. I thought Evra withdrew his hand slightly as Suarez approached but as Suarez has admitted that he didn't go for his hand anyway, it doesn't make much difference.

For those people calling Suarez racist, he isn't. He said something that some cultures deem racist while I believe his intention was not racist. Why would he admit to using the word "negrita" to the FA if he believed he thought it would lead to all this, especially when it was basically his word against Evra's, and given Evra's form, could possibly have got away with it if he just denied it?? It is just one of those sorts of communication fuck ups that happens in modern multi-cultural societies. Evra's perception of the comment was different to the intent of Suarez.

Liverpool and Suarez exasperated the issue by being overly defensive and attacking Evra instead of just saying it is a cultural mix-up, which they did to some extent. The media doesn't help with it's sensationalist approach, immediately labelling Suarez as a racist and Liverpool just as bad for defending racism, when that was never the case. This then brings the fringe National Front lunatics out and the problem is made worse.

While I don't believe in discrimination against anyone for any reason, this sort of "racism" draws away from real discrimination and racist hatred. Has Evra being black cost him any job opportunities or any hardships?? Has he been beaten or tortured because he is the wrong race or culture?? I've seen footage somewhere on the net of Evra calling other people niggers so why is it ok for him?? If he called Steve Sidwell a ginger tosser would he get an 8 week suspension and labelled as "racist cunt"?? Footballers calling each other names has nothing on being imprisoned because you have different beliefs or tortured because you are the wrong colour.

The whole problem was started by Evra's over-sensitivity and fuelled by Liverpool's approach to correcting the misunderstanding (best explained by Pete) and a media looking for a big story. Suarez should have just said right at the beginning, "I am sorry for offending you, I didn't intend for my comment to be racist" and let it rest.

Completely agreed mate. And back on the topic of football, well chuffed for Zambia tonight, after the tragedy of 1993, and to win it in Zambia, even though Cheik had to play 120minutes.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:54 pm

Pretty intense stuff there in the ACN. Quality of penalties was top class, delighted for Zambia!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:05 am

Stunned but delighted to see Zambia win. As Pete mentions, their entire team died in the 1993 plane crash and they've been struggling to be competitive since. This is great for football.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:59 am

dont have an opinion on the racism debate, but i think that players shouldnt be allowed to play unless they shake their opponents hands before the match, showing that there is no ill feeling.

its a sport after all.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:37 am