THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+9
Sly Uses
wilksdaman
the_king
Moose Stuff For Money...
payneNglory1
redmeanie77
manschesthair_utd
Anfields5thKing
The_Axe_Emperor
13 posters

Happy Brocktober to all Armbar members!

the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Happy Brocktober to all Armbar members! - Page 4 Empty Re: Happy Brocktober to all Armbar members!

Post  the_king Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:57 pm

is he a popular fighter though he gets alot of boos when he fights.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Happy Brocktober to all Armbar members! - Page 4 Empty Re: Happy Brocktober to all Armbar members!

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:59 pm

Popular probably wasn't the best word to use. I meant "well-known".
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:40 pm

I'm not sure he's more well known than Liddell or Couture.

What he has is the pro-wrestling fanbase. that's the only reason the UFC signed him and pushed him as hard and fast as they did.

It's a slap in the face to much better fighters though.

Here's hoping Cain performs at his best, if he does we'll have a new UFC HW champion.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:16 pm

He might only be 5-1,not have the most rounded game in the sport,but he is by a long way the biggest draw in the sport.

This is why he was given an undeserved title shot,might not of been fair from a sporting stand point,but from a buisness one,it was an obvious match up.
    I give him credit now though,he might not of been a deserving challenger in the first place,but for me,after beating,Mir,Herring,Randy and Carwin back to back(the carwin one,after being out for a year with a career threatening illness),he's deserving now,to be called a legit champ.

The thing with Brock is,he had more fans that followed him than any MMA fighter had,even before he started his MMA career,so obviously everyone wanted to board the Brock money train from the start,over the years,he's proven to be a great investment,and to try and get the most out of your investment,you need to get him as much exposure as possible,plus the fact he had more chance than any other fighter,to attract more people to the sport,because of his fame that he already carried.

He has been managed fantasticly,most guys that would have done what he has,would of disapeared into obscurity,I mean from being a amatuer wrestling star,then the biggest WWE star,and then giving it all up to try his hand at football and not actually making it,that should of been career suicide,but instead of disapearing or returning to wrestling,he trys his hand at MMA and not only does OK,but wins the belt and according to nearly every MMA site out there,is now ranked as the best HW in the world.

I don't care if you like him or not,that is a fucking impressive life story and it's no wonder he has the following he does,love him or hate him,he is by a distance the biggest draw in MMA,everyone seems to tune into his fights,infact i'd bet that if he turned up to play in a Live Tennis match,more people would tune in to watch this,than what strikeforce have got on a few of their live events.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:26 pm

id pay to see him play tennis lol.i agree with what payne said doing what he has previous to beating mir and randy two former champs is the real dogs bollocks.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:01 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:,then the biggest WWE star,

Not even close
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:27 pm

not the biggest star ever but the WWE were building him to be their main guy at one stage
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:35 pm

Always played second fiddle to Angle.

And in terms of draw he was never a huge draw. The Rock, Austin, Goldberg, Hogan, Triple H and Jericho were all much bigger draws.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:37 pm

clean wins over taker, rock and hogan though off the top of my head. pretty big deal
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:08 pm

Clean wins mean little since the late 90's. Once Vince Russo took over as head of creative at WWE clean wins stopped meaning anything. Lesnar came in at a time when the WWE was a mess. The Rock was part-time and Austin was constantly injured. They flung the belt at everyone in the hope it would stick on someone.

And his "wins" came at a time when Paul Heyman was creative director of Smackdown. Heyman was Lesnar's mentor. He was never given the lead spot on Raw. If he's been such a big deal they wouldn't have allowed him to walk away. They'd have offered him a top tier contract. They'd have given him Goldberg's contract as it was Goldberg they tried to imitate with Lesnar.

Taker was a bigger draw as well, forgot about him completely.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:59 am

in wwe lesnar was a massive heel and thats regarded better than tha faces. he was a 3 time champion, 2002 king of the ring winner and won the 2003 royal rumble. taker said in an interview after thier 2004 hell in a cell match that lesnar had the potential to be the best in the business.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:01 am

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:26 am

the_king wrote:in wwe lesnar was a massive heel and thats regarded better than tha faces. he was a 3 time champion, 2002 king of the ring winner and won the 2003 royal rumble. taker said in an interview after thier 2004 hell in a cell match that lesnar had the potential to be the best in the business.

What are you talking about? Lesnar was never a "massive heel". Lesnar was a heel, but never was he a "massive heel". Heels generate heat, Lesnar never had close to top level heat the way JBL and Angle did around Lesnar's time in WWE, or Jericho and Edge did afterwards. Nor was he close to Triple H, Taker, Shawn Michaels, Rock and Austin when they had heel runs. Heyman generated far more heat than Lesnar.

Being a heel is not regarded as "better" than being a face. It's much harder to be a face. As a heel you can pretty much do and say whatever you want.

Lesnar's accomplishments aren't all that impressive other than being the youngest person they ever put the belt on. He was NEVER one of the top stars on Raw. And Raw is where they have their marquee names.

Oh, Lesnar and Taker didn't have a Hell in a Cell match in 2004. And i'd be amazed if Taker said anything of the sort.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:31 am

oh yes they did,

the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:32 am

i cannot find the taker interview but he basically said that he was his favourite work as he could put him over as a face and also brought another level of intensity to the ring.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:05 am

How about this for "heat" ? pale

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:01 am

the_king wrote:i cannot find the taker interview but he basically said that he was his favourite work as he could put him over as a face and also brought another level of intensity to the ring.

you won't be able to find it.

And I never said they didn't have a hell in a cell match. I said they didn't have 1 in 2004 as you claimed.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:02 am

redmeanie77 wrote:How about this for "heat" ? pale

That's the type of shit i'm talking about though. Can imagine them putting the Undertaker, Edge, Austin or any of the top shelf guys in such a ridiculous situation??
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:28 am

it was 2002 no 2004 my apologies anfield got my dates muddled. changing the subject from brock in wwe did he ever play a match for the vikings??
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:31 am

As if clean wins over taker and hogan mean nothing lol

who has actually beaten hogan clean? warrior and lesnar are the only 2 I can think of!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:57 am

Albion_Oakley wrote:As if clean wins over taker and hogan mean nothing lol

who has actually beaten hogan clean? warrior and lesnar are the only 2 I can think of!

And Rock, Austin, Sting, Hart, Big Show in WCW. And a dozen others as well.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:58 am

the_king wrote:it was 2002 no 2004 my apologies anfield got my dates muddled. changing the subject from brock in wwe did he ever play a match for the vikings??

He survived until final cuts so i'm assuming he played a couple of pre-season games.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    Albion_Oakley wrote:As if clean wins over taker and hogan mean nothing lol

And Rock, Austin, Sting, Hart, Big Show in WCW. And a dozen others as well.

Rock, at summerslam yeah good shout
    dont remember hogan vs austin or hart vs austin or show vs austin?

stings win was hardly clean, wasnt that the one with the bret hrat related screwjob finish?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:20 pm

Sting beat him more than once. The Starrcade one was a clean submission.

Taker beat him clean for the belt in Hogan's first run back in WWE after WCW as well.

Hogan lost clean to a lot of guys over the years. He held a lot of guys down but he did lose clean on a number of occasions.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:10 pm

fair 'nuff!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 5:46 pm