THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+9
Sly Uses
wilksdaman
the_king
Moose Stuff For Money...
payneNglory1
redmeanie77
manschesthair_utd
Anfields5thKing
The_Axe_Emperor
13 posters

Happy Brocktober to all Armbar members!

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Happy Brocktober to all Armbar members! - Page 5 Empty Re: Happy Brocktober to all Armbar members!

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:37 pm

Forgive me if this is a silly question, but what does it matter "who beat who" if it was all scripted anyway?

Is it just a question of popularity?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Happy Brocktober to all Armbar members! - Page 5 Empty Re: Happy Brocktober to all Armbar members!

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:59 pm

I stopped watching wrestling,when my boy's the Ultimate Warrior and the legion of doom were about.

But I definitely had heard of Brock,even though I didn't watch it at the time,he was on every advertisment for the company for a good while,he was on the front cover of magazines all the time,on the front of computer games,brock t-shirts,posters,lunch boxes,you name it wallmart had something with his face on it,he was everywhere,plus didn't they call him the next big thing or something.

that to me sounds like he was at one time,the biggest star in the WWE and this is just Anfield being a prick,trying to pick fault at one of my comments.

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:06 pm

Yeah Payne, i think to claim Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture are more popular is quite unrealistic as well, i mean i cant speak for the states, but over here in the UK Lesnar is MUCH more well known than those two. What was it like over there?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:36 pm

It's the same,you can speak to anyone over here,from kids to 60 year old farm boys and they can tell you who Brock Lesner is,like i said,at a time you couldn't walk into a major store,like Wallmart,K-Mart,Target etc without seeing brocks face on something,but still to this day you will struggle to find either Randy or Chuck merchandise in major stores like Wallmart.
    I've personally spoke to alot of people in my shop,when they have seen me watching MMA on the computer,or when I'm out drinking or playing poker,with my Randy or shogun shirt on,loads of times I've been asked about my shirt and when I've told them,they haven't a clue who either is.

Just look at Brocks debut PPV numbers and it shows you the fame and fan base that he was bringing with him.

UFC 80 Penn v Stevenson 225,000
    UFC 81 Brock v Mir 650,000
    UFC 82 Silva v Hendo 325,00
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:20 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:I stopped watching wrestling,when my boy's the Ultimate Warrior and the legion of doom were about.

But I definitely had heard of Brock,even though I didn't watch it at the time,he was on every advertisment for the company for a good while,he was on the front cover of magazines all the time,on the front of computer games,brock t-shirts,posters,lunch boxes,you name it wallmart had something with his face on it,he was everywhere,plus didn't they call him the next big thing or something.

that to me sounds like he was at one time,the biggest star in the WWE and this is just Anfield being a prick,trying to pick fault at one of my comments.

Is that an attack?? Shocking

And the bit before, is that you attempting to claim you are right based on personal experience! How very dare you!

Or can you just not accept that you were wrong(as usual) you daft cunt?? I wasn't trying to pick fault with one of your comments. I could pick fault with ALL of your comments if I wanted. I was merely correcting you on something you were hugely incorrect about.

He was not the biggest star in the WWE. Not even close.

Rock, Austin, Hogan, Taker, Triple H, Angle, Goldberg

All MUCH bigger stars than Lesnar during Lesnar's time in the WWE.

They did call him the Next Big Thing, after he failed to live up to the billing they called him the next big flop.

Last edited by Anfields5thKing on Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:28 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:Yeah Payne, i think to claim Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture are more popular is quite unrealistic as well, i mean i cant speak for the states, but over here in the UK Lesnar is MUCH more well known than those two. What was it like over there?

In mainstream sports they are as well known. Moreso Liddell who's been on Leno, Letterman, Punk'd, and plenty of other shows as well as the cover of Sports Illustrated. Liddell was the first "name" MMA star in popular culture. Couture has been getting a lot of exposure through his film work.

As I already said, Lesnar brought the pro-wrestling fanbase. Payne would like you to believe that it's people of all walks of life that buy UFC's PPVs with Lesnar on them, its not. It's the pro-wrestling fans. If Steve Austin had gone into MMA every PPV he was on would break 2 million. Same with the Rock, Hogan, John Cena etc. etc.. Wrestling fans are fanatical. Look at the numbers for Shamrocks fights after he came back to the UFC. Most of his fanbase are still pro-wrestling fans.

Payne will spin the nonsense about K-Mart again, it means one thing. The UFC has tapped into his pro wrestling fanbase and merchandised him the way the WWE has merchandised John Cena.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:29 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:Yeah Payne, i think to claim Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture are more popular is quite unrealistic as well, i mean i cant speak for the states, but over here in the UK Lesnar is MUCH more well known than those two. What was it like over there?

And why is Lesnar better known?? WWE.
    wilksdaman
    wilksdaman
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  wilksdaman Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:21 pm

UFC 121 ‘LESNAR VS VELASQUEZ’ PRIMETIME: EPISODE 1 – FULL (VIDEO)

http://www.mmaresolutions.com/ufc-121-lesnar-vs-velasquez-primetime-ep-1-full-video
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:42 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:Forgive me if this is a silly question, but what does it matter "who beat who" if it was all scripted anyway?

Is it just a question of popularity?

Kind of , its more of a "passing the torch" scenario. Hulk Hogan is notoriously difficult to persuade to lose a match to anyone and he aloowed Lesnar to Bear hug him into unconsciousness and painst his chest with his blood.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:58 pm

Payne would like you to believe that it's people of all walks of life that buy UFC's PPVs with Lesnar on them

I didn't imply anything of the sort,I simply said more people know who Brock is,not that they buy the PPV's.As for the K-Mart/Wall-mart spin,again I was talking about his popularity as a WWE star,and since his face was plastered over everything, alot more so than any other wrestler at the time in the biggest,most popular named stores in the world,is what lead me to believe he was the biggest star in the WWE at that time,
    As I said,I didn't watch it then,but formed an opinion on the fact that I didn't,yet definitely knew who he was,how was this if he wasn't one of the main stars plastered all over the place,so yes of coarse this is through personal experience,if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to comment on it would I,I suppose I could just make shit up,that I've not seen personally and stick to my guns,but I think there is enough of that shit that goes around.

Or can you just not accept that you were wrong(as usual) you daft cunt?? I wasn't trying to pick fault with one of your comments. I could pick fault with ALL of your comments if I wanted.

Yes you were and so you claim.
    You really are ignorant,aren't you daft lad.

Every PPV would break 2 mil if the Rock etc were on it,you say.

That's funny,since after a quick search,I found this

Wrestlemania 17 4/1/01 Rock v Austin,PPV buys 1,040,000
    Wrestlemania 18 3/17/02 rock v Hogan PPV buys 840,000

http://gerweck.net/ppvbuys.htm

Last edited by payneNglory1 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:06 pm

well if it was rock vs chuck maybe it would Razz

since it gets maximum of both fanbases.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:56 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:
    Payne would like you to believe that it's people of all walks of life that buy UFC's PPVs with Lesnar on them

I didn't imply anything of the sort,I simply said more people know who Brock is,not that they buy the PPV's.As for the K-Mart/Wall-mart spin,again I was talking about his popularity as a WWE star,and since his face was plastered over everything, alot more so than any other wrestler at the time in the biggest,most popular named stores in the world,is what lead me to believe he was the biggest star in the WWE at that time,
    As I said,I didn't watch it then,but formed an opinion on the fact that I didn't,yet definitely knew who he was,how was this if he wasn't one of the main stars plastered all over the place,so yes of coarse this is through personal experience,if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to comment on it would I,I suppose I could just make shit up,that I've not seen personally and stick to my guns,but I think there is enough of that shit that goes around.

Or can you just not accept that you were wrong(as usual) you daft cunt?? I wasn't trying to pick fault with one of your comments. I could pick fault with ALL of your comments if I wanted.

Yes you were and so you claim.
    You really are ignorant,aren't you daft lad.

Every PPV would break 2 mil if the Rock etc were on it,you say.

That's funny,since after a quick search,I found this

Wrestlemania 17 4/1/01 Rock v Austin,PPV buys 1,040,000
    Wrestlemania 18 3/17/02 rock v Hogan PPV buys 840,000

http://gerweck.net/ppvbuys.htm

Payne, your figures are early numbers. Rock-Hogan and Rock-Austin both did far bigger numbers.

As nice little bit of your jealousy and bitterness seeping out again. Accusations are never nice. Like when i accused you of being a sad little cunt, you didn't like it.

Just in relation to the Walmart etc. Remind us all of what glorious state you live.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:11 am

i don't know anything about north carolina apart from that its Flair country!

WOOOOO!!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:15 am

Exactly. North Carolina is one of the biggest wrestling territories in the world due to two men, one who wasn't born there but made his name and home there - Ric Flair. The other was born there and has always maintained a strong base there.

This man:

Happy Brocktober to all Armbar members! - Page 5 Vince-mcmahon

Of course Lesnar is going to be marketed massively in a wrestling-based market!
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:24 am

seeing these pics of vinny mac flexing makes me sick as he banned and sued hogan for steroids and its clear vince is on them himself.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:29 am

that's not actually what happened mate. The federal government indicted McMahon on charges of distributing steroids to his performers. Hogan was forced to testify against McMahon and that lead to the fall out between them.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:33 am

yeah im aware of the fall out but after that macmahon went from being a normal oldish guy to being huge when he feuded with austin. wish wwe would bring back the attitude era instead of this pg rated crap they put out.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:42 am

Oh yeah! there's not doubt at all that Vince is on roids! No question. It all started after the incident with Bret Hart in Montreal. He became much bigger after that. Before it he was quite skinny.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:44 am

brett hart fought macmahon at this years wrestlemania im so suprised he did it after the montreal screwjob. i read he only came back because if he didnt vince wouldnt put stu hart in the HOF
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:52 am

Quality show that primetime just watched it. Shocked Shit Cain can throw hands.... Seriously I said it before when I saw him hitting bags but hitting pads and sparring he looks seriously sharp. Against Nog he was so impressive with hands and Nog was sharp enough himself that night. People take for franted Mir can outstrike Lesnar and I think same applies for Cain. Not too worried about the chin and power Lesnar has on him Id feel confident Cain would light him up with combos and kicks on the feet (Which he doesnt seem to use much when he fights but Brock is a big target on the feet)

Watching lesnar on those ropes in training and remembering him throwing about WWE wrestlers since you all where talking about it! Laughing

Like both guys. Both are great for the Hw devision. Cain is high paced and works from start to finish like Sonnen, even when he wrestles he is looking to cave faces in. I think Cains best chance is to hit Lesnar standing make him shit his pants and take him down and TKO him with relentless strikes. I expect most people who think he will win are calling UD but I could see him being a lot more relentless if he got him in positions Couture and Carwin have him in. Im seeing a Cain TKO as the most likely outcome....

Lesnar is a one off fighter though reminds me of guys like Primo Carnero or Sonny Liston, just the monster of his day, guys with arms that could tie their laces standing up and were born to clobber people!

Happy Brocktober to all Armbar members! - Page 5 Giant,heavyweight,vintage,manly,primo,carnera,ambling,alp,walking,mountain-ffb8519fb2c8985fb43f14e718f45f14_h

Happy Brocktober to all Armbar members! - Page 5 _41398293_floyd_liston416

Happy Brocktober to all Armbar members! - Page 5 Brock-lesnar

Brock will always be the most physical heavy around but I dont think all that size will keep a technical active heavy like Cain down long enough to put him away. I can see Lesanr regretting not working Striking in this one.

For Brock to be the best he needs striking. A trip to Golden Glory and a few rounds with Overeem and Schilt under his belt and Brock would be unbeatable. Untill then im backing Cain. Someone mention good odds from the bookies on Cain?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:03 am

the_king wrote:brett hart fought macmahon at this years wrestlemania im so suprised he did it after the montreal screwjob. i read he only came back because if he didnt vince wouldnt put stu hart in the HOF

I saw that too. The WWE Hall of Fame is a farce. The NWA should have a proper one.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:06 am

nwa dont really have that power that wwe has now they just seem to provide talent to bigger orgs.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:18 am

Yeah but the NWA as an organization rather than the promotional side of things could induct any wrestler they wanted. As a promotion they are merely a feeder for WWE, TNA and the major Japanese promotions but the organization side is still very powerful and has a lot of respect from pretty much every wrestler out there. Even Vince has huge respect for the NWA.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:19 am

on topic:

the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:25 am

imagine how much respect vince would have if they did set up their own HOF and through it disagreed with him on who should go in there.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 7:31 pm