THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+9
Sly Uses
wilksdaman
the_king
Moose Stuff For Money...
payneNglory1
redmeanie77
manschesthair_utd
Anfields5thKing
The_Axe_Emperor
13 posters

Happy Brocktober to all Armbar members!

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Happy Brocktober to all Armbar members! - Page 6 Empty Re: Happy Brocktober to all Armbar members!

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:44 am

the_king wrote:imagine how much respect vince would have if they did set up their own HOF and through it disagreed with him on who should go in there.

Well Vince has always said the WWE Hall Of Fame is more a reflection on his own personal views rather than anything else.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Happy Brocktober to all Armbar members! - Page 6 Empty Re: Happy Brocktober to all Armbar members!

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:21 am

Oh, and one other thing Payne, your early release figures are from 8 and 9 years ago when PPV was not what is is today. Rock and Austin were doing in excess of a million buys when the UFC was doing 150,000 buys for their biggest fight in history to that point(Ortiz vs Shamrock). Not only that but only THREE boxing fights had done bigger numbers, Oscar De La Hoya(Biggest PPV draw EVER) VS Felix Trinidad, Mike Tyson(Second biggest draw ever) vs Lennox Lewis, and Evander Holyfield vs Lewis(biggest rematch in history).

Also, while attempting to downplay the numbers attained by The Rock and Austin, you FAIL to mention that the Wrestlemania headlined by the man that the man YOU claim was the biggest star in the WWE only managed 560,000 ppv buys which is BY FAR the lowest number(300,000 less than ANY other Wrestlemania in the 10 years from 1998 to 2007. Austin and The Rock were TWICE the draw Lesnar was. And they still are. Austin makes an appearance on WWE these days, numbers go through the roof. Rock is even rumoured to show up, numbers go up. Pre-taped segments with him have seen ratings go up drastically for fuck sake! Lesnar gets mention, nobody cares.

As I said, if Austin or The Rock were to fight in the UFC, 2 million buys. Easily.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:58 pm

I'm not trying to down play anything,if you read what I wrote instead of trying to twist and spin things,like you are doing with the Brock thing also,I said,all I did is put in a quick search for wrestling PPV numbers and that was what I found,which didn't seem to back up your claim.

But at the end of the day,it's just your opinion and one that can't be proved about the 2 mil buys,I obvoiusly think it's aload of crap,but it is what it is.

With the Brock thing,as I said,i don't watch it,I said 'to me at one stage he seemed like he was the top star in wrestling",not that he was the biggest WWE star of all time,like you've tried to spin it(I wouldn't of posted a list of PPV numbers that show he was down on the overall list,if I was trying to argue that he was the biggest WWE star ever)others on here seemed to accept my original post,but you felt the need to needlessly try a nit pick that little bit of what I said,with a claim of,"not even close" (which I beleive is due to your dislike towards me,Very Happy )

You only need to wiki the guy and read who he fought,how many times he headlined and what he won in his two years with the WWE.
    To me that definitely looks like he was built up to be the top guy and for a while he was the biggest star in the WWE.

I didn't know all that untill I just read it,but I based,why I thought he was the biggest star at that time,purely because of all the hype behind him,plus all the advertising that surrounded him,like being on the Front cover of computer games etc,it was his face plastered over everything for a while,far more than any other wrestler at the time.Yes,I live in a Wrastlin state,but doesn't that go to show,how hyped up he was,if in a wrestling State,it was his face that dominated the shelves in all the major stores?.
    I didn't think for a second he was a Hulk Hogan,but I did think during a time in the WWE career,he became the main star.

this is not to try and prove anything,(before you go on one Wink )since obviously the WWE numbers have declined rapidly over the years,but I thought this was in keeping,since we are talking PPV numbers.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/10/4/1730036/ufc-passes-wwe-in-ppv-buys-weaker-on-spike-tv
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:23 pm

And all I'm saying is that anyone who followed wrestling in that time will know that Brock clearly wasn't close to being the biggest star, that Rock and Austin were two of the biggest draws in the world and were drawing twice what Brock was. They were only behind De La Hoya and the heavyweight boxing title, which at the time meant something.

Vince did try and make Brock a huge star, hence North Carolina was given the first offering of Brockmania. It flopped miserably. His PPV numbers with the WWE show that. If Lesnar can draw 1.5million for the UFC based on his WWE fanbase, there is no question that the Rock and Austin could easily draw 2.0million. I'd back either to push towards De La Hoya-Mayweather figures. They are that big. Austin drew RIDICULOUS money. His popularity was insane. Brock came along when both of those two were basically only wrestling 2/3 of the year and Vince hoped Brock would be the one to fill the void. Fans didn't buy it because wrestlers have become popular for their personalities moreso than in-ring ability in the past 15 years.

The WWE has struggled to draw the massive numbers since Rock and Austin stopped wrestling. They've publicly acknowledged that.

The reason I picked that line was because i actually agreed with most of what you had to say, that line was incorrect so I highlighted it. I would have done it regardless of who posted it.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:32 pm

i knd of agree with anfield if brock didnt join ufc then ppvs would be a little lower. and if the rocj or austin re-joined the wwe the wwe's ppv numbers would rocket.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:39 pm

Alright then,forgive my paranoia,I'm sorry for the"just being a prick comment" I thought you were just trying to have a pop. Embarassed
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:56 pm

No, i might disagree with you more than others but that's because you post more than most and you're posts tend to always be on a topic. Ben posts more than anyone but a lot of his are rankings/calender related. Yours tend to be discussion related.

Sometimes if i'm on my phone and posting here, quoting someone, like yourself, and it's a long post, i'll just get the bit i disagree with, respond with a short message and then come back to it when i get to my computer. It does often come across like a dismissive thing but i do tend to try and get to my computer before anyone responds so i can post a proper reply. if i didn't do it that way i'd forget completely what i wanted to say!
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:01 pm

Do you think Cain will be a bit reluctant to throw his kicks in this fight? His striking is at its best when hes mixing his hands with his feet but i think he'll be very tentative about throwing those combos against Brock.

Also Anfield you need to stop apologising, your arguments/debate/demolitions lose their fire when we all know its in good spirits Sad
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:18 am

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:Do you think Cain will be a bit reluctant to throw his kicks in this fight? His striking is at its best when hes mixing his hands with his feet but i think he'll be very tentative about throwing those combos against Brock.

Also Anfield you need to stop apologising, your arguments/debate/demolitions lose their fire when we all know its in good spirits Sad

How fucking dare you? who do you think you are speaking to me like that??? Haha!

I think he'll throw some kicks but only when Brock is covering up/cowering/running away.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:42 am

Happy Brocktober to all Armbar members! - Page 6 Hulk_s10

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 10:14 pm