THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

2 posters

Amazing UFC news for UK fans!!!

Paddyjock
    Paddyjock
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Amazing UFC news for UK fans!!! Empty Amazing UFC news for UK fans!!!

Post  Paddyjock Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:37 pm

From Gareth Davies of the Telegraph!!

In another Telegraph exclusive, I can reveal that UFC will begin broadcasting on UK terrestrial television for the first time next Monday, at midnight, with a one-hour special on UFC 102.

It marks a new staging post for mixed martial arts onto terrestrial television, at a time when UFC is making huge strides into the mainstream.

The hour show on Channel FIVEwill show the Couture-Nogueira, Jardine-Silva, and Marquardt-Maia fights in full. I can also reveal that this will be a regular thing.

UFC UK Division President Marshall Zelaznik said: “This is a huge step for the UFC in the UK. We are delighted to partner up with FIVE - who are trailblazers in their approach to both sports and programming - and bring the best bouts and the world’s greatest fighters to the largest possible audience. ”

Zelaznik added: “We know we are going to create a whole new generation of UFC fans on FIVE. The UFC continues to smash records at the biggest arenas in the British Isles for our live events and form partnerships with the biggest names in British broadcasting.”

The show is to be called - UFC: Main Event.

The regular one-hour UFC: Main Event shows will be broadcast on FIVE Sunday/Monday nights at midnight. The first instalment hits the airwaves on at midnight Monday night, September 14, when FIVE will broadcast the now classic heavyweight three-round battle between icons Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Randy Couture, along with other exciting bouts from the UFC 102 super-card which took place in Portland, Oregon, USA on August 30.

I will have even more exciting news for fans tomorrow…

cheers
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Amazing UFC news for UK fans!!! Empty Re: Amazing UFC news for UK fans!!!

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:43 pm

i have to say Paddyjock that you built this announcement up too much with the thread title, haha.

Good news yes, but i dont really get it, It will bring new fans to MMA hopefully but all the current fans have espn and watch it live anyway.
    Paddyjock
    Paddyjock
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paddyjock Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:47 pm

Have to say that I don't have ESPN. I did have Setanta but always struggled to stay up all night to watch it live. I now tend to download from a torrent site in the morning. I think its good news though that there will be a show on terrestrial TV showing UFC main events. Hopefully it might grown into showing some of the older UFC events. Or even old PRIDE events?
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:53 pm

I know what you mean, the last one i stayed up for was UFC 100, i was on my own (none of my friends like mma Crying or Very sad ) and i fell asleep during the GSP fight Sleep (sorry george!) luckily i have sky+ and have recorded the most recent events and watched them over cereal sunday morning!

apparently UFC are making a show with old pride fights, so if this was on five that would be great.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:37 pm