THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
The_Axe_Emperor
Anfields5thKing
Sly Uses
rudeboyben84
Gibmeister
9 posters

George 'The Chameleon' St. Pierre and his amazing "Ape" Technique.....

Gibmeister
    Gibmeister
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

George 'The Chameleon' St. Pierre and his amazing "Ape" Technique..... Empty George 'The Chameleon' St. Pierre and his amazing "Ape" Technique.....

Post  Gibmeister Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:54 am

I truly believe that GSP is a true master of adapting his game plan for each and every opponent ever since his shock defeat against Matt Serra back in spring of '07.

UFC 74: Comeback fight against Kos he stuck and moved keeping his hands high and when he connected he went in for an against the cage TD, never kept still, kept moving on the ground and stuffed any wrestling by Kos (of course not to bothered by Kos stand up).

UFC 79: Matt Hughes, the only way to fight Hughes is to keep a safe distance also. Even though (self proclaimed by Hughes) struggles with his striking, he sets up his take-downs with his hands and feet. Both top draw wrestlers, GSP fought Kos and Hughes differently.

UFC 83: Serra wasn't going to catch him twice! He punched and kneed the crap out of him in much closer range until he just run our of gas.

UFC 87: GSP knew Fitch is game is to "amateur wrestle" stay chest on chest, smother and hope to just stay on top, without any real effort to improve striking/sub position (Doesn't The Blanket Fitch do that well for the full 3 rounds????).. GSP is not an amateur wrestler but an MMA wrestler (which I think he and to a lesser degree (dare I say Bisping) does well, looking to GnP, sub and break from the ground hug to improve position and he adapted so well he just knew how to upperhand that type of one dimensional (and hugely effective) Fitch game. Brilliantly....

UFC 94: Of course Phil Nurse and his magic tub of grease helped slightly, but that being said, unlike the list above, GSP saw a big cardio problem with Penn, so he go on top, stayed active from his guard and wore the poor Penn into submitting with nothing in the tank.

UFC 100 & 111 will both be famous for 5 rounds of completely squashing any strengths/advantages that either Alves and Hardy had as soon as the bell rang...which is their great striking! Alves has a brown belt apparently in BJJ but good job he hits like a train as he has never shown any defense or offence in it. In fact some of his defeats have come from just average BJJ fighters subbing him in random chokes. (Spencer Fisher triangle??). So instead of a stick and move and risk it he pulled a Fitch and sent us to sleep....

Anyway, the point is..... vs Koscheck I think GSP will stand, sprawl then punch, kick, knee, slap for a lot longer than recent history has shown just to avoid getting into an amateur wrestling bout which he could easily meet his match in.

Prediction GSP standing KO slap bang in the middle of the Octagon!!

Any one think any different? Are we just going to see a bore-fest neutralising each others wrestling til GSP or Kos wins on points? Ahhh, I hope not.

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

George 'The Chameleon' St. Pierre and his amazing "Ape" Technique..... Empty Re: George 'The Chameleon' St. Pierre and his amazing "Ape" Technique.....

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:52 pm

GSP didnt bore me against Alves, he landed some great shots on the feet and scored some cracking TD's.

I agree, I think he is going to KO KOS, KOS thinkgs he can stand with people, and although he got sparked by Thiago I think he still has faith in his standup.

I dont buy into him being able to hang with GSP wrestling wise so I think he will take his chances on the feet. And if GSP can give Alves trouble on the feet I think he is a cert to KO KOS.... Heres hoping anyway!

He has been putting the work in with Freddie roach so I think your money with him changing his style here
    Sly Uses
    Sly Uses
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

George 'The Chameleon' St. Pierre and his amazing "Ape" Technique..... Empty Re: George 'The Chameleon' St. Pierre and his amazing "Ape" Technique.....

Post  Sly Uses Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:11 pm

i liked the Alves and Hardy fights..

I think GSP is just going to take him down again personally
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:00 pm

GSP doesn't have the power to KO Kos, comical to think he does. I doubt he's ever knocked ANYONE out in his career. He has 7 TKO wins, only 1 in the last 4 years and 3 in the last 6 years, 2 of which came against much smaller men in Sherk and Serra.

Kos has lost ONCE by KO, same as GSP and Kos was never actually out or even unable to defend himself. He was clearly pulling guard as the ref stopped the fight. He hits MUCH harder than GSP as well. GSP is a better striker and he could outpoint Kos, but he's not knocking him out. There's a far greater chance that Kos knocks GSP out.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:04 pm

Michael_Bisping_Is_A_Cunt wrote:GSP doesn't have the power to KO Kos, comical to think he does. I doubt he's ever knocked ANYONE out in his career. He has 7 TKO wins, only 1 in the last 4 years and 3 in the last 6 years, 2 of which came against much smaller men in Sherk and Serra.

Kos has lost ONCE by KO, same as GSP and Kos was never actually out or even unable to defend himself. He was clearly pulling guard as the ref stopped the fight. He hits MUCH harder than GSP as well. GSP is a better striker and he could outpoint Kos, but he's not knocking him out. There's a far greater chance that Kos knocks GSP out.

Kos was CLEARLY out in the Thiago fight! Comical to claim otherwise, look at his eyes.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:07 pm

what are the odds for a koscheck to win via stoppage im backing this bet.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:49 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:
    Michael_Bisping_Is_A_Cunt wrote:GSP doesn't have the power to KO Kos, comical to think he does. I doubt he's ever knocked ANYONE out in his career. He has 7 TKO wins, only 1 in the last 4 years and 3 in the last 6 years, 2 of which came against much smaller men in Sherk and Serra.

Kos was CLEARLY out in the Thiago fight! Comical to claim otherwise, look at his eyes.

You should go watch the fight. He was never out. He was stunned, recovered, pulled guard and was wrong stopped. Never out.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:06 pm

I watched it before i posted that previous comment, and i'm watching it again now, i've seen nothing to change my mind.

Pulling guard? He puts his hand up as if to say "No, stop!"
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:11 pm

wasnt Kos kocked out very early in his career aswell??
    i remember him dominating the fight and then getting sparked and i was like "hah" Laughing
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:15 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:wasnt Kos kocked out very early in his career aswell??
    i remember him dominating the fight and then getting sparked and i was like "hah" Laughing

Don't think so. He's lost four times, two decisions (to GSP and Alves) one KO (to Thiago) and one submission (a rear naked choke with 22 seconds left against Drew Fickett).

Last edited by The_Axe_Emperor on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:16 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:I watched it before i posted that previous comment, and i'm watching it again now, i've seen nothing to change my mind.

Complete and utter shite! Hysterical attempt.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:18 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:wasnt Kos kocked out very early in his career aswell??

He got subbed by Drew Fickett after mauling him. Well not subbed, he went to sleep instead of tapping.

The Alves fight gives an example of Kos's chin. Alves hit him with some incredible shots and he took them, got rocked a few times but wasn't close to being finished. Kos has a very very good chin.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:27 pm

Michael_Bisping_Is_A_Cunt wrote:
    The_Axe_Emperor wrote:I watched it before i posted that previous comment, and i'm watching it again now, i've seen nothing to change my mind.

Complete and utter shite! Hysterical attempt.

Well if that's your reply then theres no point even debating with you. Watch the fight and you'll see Kos' eyes rolled back into his head, take 2/3 seconds just for him to realise where Thiago is.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:37 pm

And?? Then he puts his hand to try and pull Thiago into his guard as Thiago steps forward! He's never out! Have your eyes roll and not knowing where you are for a split second(nothing like 2-3 seconds because the ref was on top of him after about 2 seconds) is not being out.

This is a knockout:

This is not:

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:45 pm

I appreciate you going through the trouble of finding those videos Cool I was wondering what video that was there, Diego Sanchez Laughing ?? Poor quality video by the way, i have it on HD on my laptop so you don't need to be linking me up Wink

I can't believe you're even disputing this stoppage. He did NOT pull guard, "hysterical" to even claim that that's what he was doing, he was in no mans land and Thiago walked up to him nonchalantly and could've inflicted more damage had it not been for a great stoppage. I agreed with the stoppage, most everyone else did, even Joe Rogan did...

Anyway, we're going off topic. Does GSP have the power to KO Kos? He's a professional fighter, will be wearing small gloves and has been training with Freddie Roach for quite some time. Therefore the answer to that question is a resounding 'yes'.

WILL GSP KO Kos is another question entirely, and i think the answer is 'no' simply because i don't think GSP will risk standing with him.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:26 am

GSP does not have the power to KO Kos. It doesn't matter who he trains with. Roach trains style and tactics, not power. You can't teach power. It also doesn't matter what gloves he wears. GSP does NOT have KO power.

Rogan has since called it an early stoppage. Which it was. An awful stoppage. He was clearly reaching out, when the ref landed on him he was very much aware of where he was. And "most everyone" hate Kos and were glad to see him beaten. Same as they hoped he would lose when he was dominating Rumble and Daley.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:30 am

I reckon if the ref let it go for longer, Thiago would have finished him properely. KOS may not have been out, but he sure was rocked. But it was a premature stoppage.

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:31 am

Michael_Bisping_Is_A_Cunt wrote:GSP does not have the power to KO Kos. It doesn't matter who he trains with. Roach trains style and tactics, not power. You can't teach power. It also doesn't matter what gloves he wears. GSP does NOT have KO power.

Rogan has since called it an early stoppage. Which it was. An awful stoppage. He was clearly reaching out, when the ref landed on him he was very much aware of where he was. And "most everyone" hate Kos and were glad to see him beaten. Same as they hoped he would lose when he was dominating Rumble and Daley.

How can you say he doesn't have the power? Anyone can KO anyone, i could KO Kos if i hit him on the right spot, thats the beauty of the sport!

Like I said; Can he? Yes. Will he? Probably not.

I'll ignore the rest of that quoted...
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:38 am

Nope, not true at all. A pitter-patter powder-puff puncher will never KO someone with a strong chin. This "spot" is something of a myth.

Ignore it all you want, it's true.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:41 am

In all this, we've actually missed the point that the original post was a load of gibberish.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:49 am

Michael_Bisping_Is_A_Cunt wrote:Nope, not true at all. A pitter-patter powder-puff puncher will never KO someone with a strong chin. This "spot" is something of a myth.

I wouldn't say Kos has a strong chin. Probably slightly above average, at best.

How is the "spot" a myth?

And btw it's not truth, its opinion.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:51 am

Michael_Bisping_Is_A_Cunt wrote:In all this, we've actually missed the point that the original post was a load of gibberish.

lol! In all honesty i didn't read it. Looks like one of Sherdogs trolls has made the journey East for the winter!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:56 am

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:
    Michael_Bisping_Is_A_Cunt wrote:Nope, not true at all. A pitter-patter powder-puff puncher will never KO someone with a strong chin. This "spot" is something of a myth.

It's true that most people hate Kos, it's true that Rogan has since said it was an early stoppage, it's true that Kos was not out and that the ref stopped the fight without giving him a chance to defend himself. All truth.

The spot is a myth. There is not a "MAGIC SPOT" where if you get hit you go to sleep. Do you know how retarded that is? A Joe Rogan myth created after Rampage knocked out Liddell, later proven to be the result of the worst chin in MMA meeting a hard punch nothing to do with a spot. If there was a spot, every fight would last about 30 seconds.

Kos has a strong chin. Took huge shots from Alves that would have, and have knocked out, most people. Took shots from Rumble, Lytle, Sanchez and Daley as well. Arguably the best chin at 170.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:03 am

Michael_Bisping_Is_A_Cunt wrote:
    The_Axe_Emperor wrote:

It's true that most people hate Kos, it's true that Rogan has since said it was an early stoppage, it's true that Kos was not out and that the ref stopped the fight without giving him a chance to defend himself. All truth.

The spot is a myth. There is not a "MAGIC SPOT" where if you get hit you go to sleep. Do you know how retarded that is? A Joe Rogan myth created after Rampage knocked out Liddell, later proven to be the result of the worst chin in MMA meeting a hard punch nothing to do with a spot. If there was a spot, every fight would last about 30 seconds.

Kos has a strong chin. Took huge shots from Alves that would have, and have knocked out, most people. Took shots from Rumble, Lytle, Sanchez and Daley as well. Arguably the best chin at 170.

Most people hate Kos? True.

Rogan has since said it was premature? Haven't seen proof of this but probably true.

Kos was not out and that the ref stopped the fight without giving him a chance to defend himself? Opinion.

I agree all the nonsense about some magic spot is silly but are you seriously saying that there are people who simply cannot get KO'd?

Two of the all time best chins in MMA, Hunt and Correira, they've both been KO'd.

And i wouldn't say Kos has the best chin at 170, Chris Lytle does surely. Has he ever been dropped? Matt Brown has a pretty good chin as well, as does Fitch and Shields etc.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:16 am

Has Lytle fought people like Alves and Daley and taken their best shots and survived the fight? Nope. I'm fairly certain he has been dropped as well. Alves fucked him up big time, can't remember if he dropped him but I'm fairly certain I've seen him dropped a couple of times. Fitch has been dropped a bunch of times, he's also been KO'd. So has Shields.

Everyone can get KO'd but not everyone can KO someone. GSP is not KOing anybody. Melvin Manhoef could probably KO most people in the world. Mike Tyson the same. GSP on the other couldn't KO a small child. There's still no spot where if anyone hits anyone that person is going to sleep. You might be able to KO Kos if you hit like a truck but you're not putting him to sleep just because you catch him in the correct spot.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 5:57 am