THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
ChelseaQuinsfan
rudeboyben84
6 posters

Good news Alvarez back, Bad news he is staying at Bellator

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Good news Alvarez back, Bad news he is staying at Bellator Empty Good news Alvarez back, Bad news he is staying at Bellator

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:52 pm

“I had two tears and they shaved down my meniscus where I still have 75 percent of it. Dr. Moyer said my meniscus was actually larger than normal, which was pretty funny to hear. The surgery and all, including prep, took maybe one hour at best.”

“I feel in less pain and have more movement now than I did before the surgery. It’s safe to say it was a success. A lot of it came from training after the Kikuno fight. I was right back in the gym and didn’t give myself enough time to recover.”

Alvarez also spoke about the future, commenting that a fight with UFC lightweight champion, B.J. Penn was a year or more away.

“Dream is still around, but my primary focus is Bellator right now If there is a point where I don’t have a fight with them, I could possibly fight for Dream with Bellator’s blessing. I’m pretty realistic about my matches and I’m still learning and working on a bunch of things. I wouldn’t see myself taking a fight like that (with Penn) for at least another year or so.”

Alvarez is on a four fight winning streak which includes capturing the Bellator FC 155 pound title by winning an eight man tournament. He was last seen in action at DREAM 12 in October, submitting his opponent in the second round via arm triangle choke.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Good news Alvarez back, Bad news he is staying at Bellator Empty Re: Good news Alvarez back, Bad news he is staying at Bellator

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:27 pm

Good to hear, very exciting fighter and I think he can at one point in his career be the best in the world in his division. Ofc every one wants to see him against the best (I want to see him fight Aoki again) in SF, DREAM or the UFC but he is only 26 and has already beat top fighters like Crusher and Hansen and good fighters lile Imada, Amade, Riley and Derrick Noble. At Bellator he is by far the top dog and in 6 months his skills will be ready for the top fighters.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Good news Alvarez back, Bad news he is staying at Bellator Empty Re: Good news Alvarez back, Bad news he is staying at Bellator

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:35 pm

I think he is doing the right thing by staying away from the UFC and fighting the weaker Belletor and Dream/Strikeforce fighters untill he is ready to step up to the big league.

What would be the point in joining the UFC now,getting wrecked by BJ and more than likely by alot of other UFC LW's.

He is still young and has plenty of time to improve his skills and build up his fanbase and earnings first.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:44 pm

Besides BJ I don't there are many others who could beat him. The other three that could maybe beat him would be Kenflo, Sanchez and Maynard and he has more than a good chance to beat him. He is a better striker than all three but not a good a grappler. I think he would KO Kenflo, beat Sanchez and im not quite sure what would happen with Maynard. Depends if he could catch him if Maynard wanted to stand and bang or catch him with a sub on the ground.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:04 pm

Good news definitely. Would love to see him against either Hellboy or Aoki again. Agree with Chelsea to an extent, think that Alvarez would KO Kenflo, and would have a decent chance against Sanchez. Not too sure against Maynard, would be an interesting one. Just hope that a fight against BJ does happen at some point, cos I can only really see him or Aoki giving BJ any problems.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:48 pm

Yeah I know what everyone thinks by the LW rankings,I just disagree.
    I think he is a good fighter,just not as good as most think yet.
    I mentioned the other day,when everyone was singing the praises of Melendez and Thomson,that I don't think either are really any better than Guida and I'm not that sure who I'd back if Alverez fought Melendez.

Also if Alverez fought Huerta who's rankings plumitted after losing to Grey and Kenny,I think I would put my money on Huerta taking the win.

Alverez's best wins are against Hansen and Kawajiri,both of who are worse than Melendez or Thomson.
    He lost to Nick the goat who I know is bigger than him,but this is a guy that has made most of his career by beating below level fighters for smaller orgs because the bigger Orgs won't touch him.(yes I know he beat Daley)

I also don't think Aoki would do that well in the UFC,He has phenomanal skills on the ground and would more than likely win more than he lost,but I don't think he would be able to handle the size and power of alot of UFC fighters and the fact that every fight he is in would be against a high calibre fighter.

I don't think Alverez nor Aoki would stand a chance against BJ but I would love to see them both in the UFC one day.

I know I am biased towards the UFC,but for me they are the big leagues and the main reason most Dream and other Org fighters aviod it,is because they would struggle with the constant level of competition and can make a far better living by being the big fish in the small pond.
    If you want to be considered as the best LW,you have to fight the best and they are in the UFC.
    This climbing so high in the rankings by not fighting other top 10 fighters is just crap.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:04 pm

Im a big UFC fan as well but I disagree about Alvarez. I think he is an excellent fighter who cause a lot of damage. I think he would KO Melendez and beat Huerta comfortably. Honestly I think Alvarez would do better in the UFC than Aoki, Aoki is a very one dimensionol fighter. Outstanding grappler but awful striker. It has worked for him for most of his career but against BJ and his takedown defence/balance it leaves him with very little chance. Alvarez on the feet could ask questions, not saying he would win but he will cause problems. In all fairness I really, really can't see any LW in the world defeat a fully focused, motivated BJ Penn. The gap between him and the rest of the LWs is bigger than any other fighter in any division.

When he lost to the goat, he was just starting out, he was only 23 and a lot smaller. Also the goat was in the middle of a 12 fight win streak, the best period of his career.

Also I think Hansen is a little better than Melendez.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:09 pm

I think Alvarez is on the same level as Diego Sanchez, that would be a 50-50 fight , i think Florian could get a decison victory over him too. But I reckon he would beat Melendez and Thompson.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:53 pm

"Alverez's best wins are against Hansen and Kawajiri,both of who are worse than Melendez or Thomson."

... Really? Shocked

Hansen is one of the most underrated Lw's I think.

Id Sanchez is, I put him rediculously High when he came into the devision and people complained. Sherdog dont even rank him! But regardless of rankings I think Diego could potentially beat anyone not named Penn, I think he would beat Kawajiri, KFlo and a few other ranked ones. And fair point on Alvarez I think it would be a close one though id back Alvarez, could like MMA's Barerra vs Morales! Id love to see Alvarez in UFC
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:57 pm

Or Alvarez vs Gomi or Kflo... there are some superfights for him in UFC. Id actually rather him there than Dream/SF as weve seen him vs Hellboy, Aoki, Crusher etc... and at SF there isnt half the tallen there is at UFC. I hope he makes it to UFC in the next year or 2. Anyone know how long his Bellator contract is?
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:58 pm

I'm an mma fan and i think the main reason we dont see the likes of Aoki and Crusher in the UFC is because they are worth alot more to the japanese promoters than they are to Dana and co.

so they can command more money in japan.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:30 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:I'm an mma fan and i think the main reason we dont see the likes of Aoki and Crusher in the UFC is because they are worth alot more to the japanese promoters than they are to Dana and co.

so they can command more money in japan.

I'm an MMA fan first and love watching fights in all Orgs from local ameture fights to the UFC.
    I just see what the UFC puts out talent wise,there is really no competition when it comes to constantly putting on evenly matched high level fights and thats what makes them my favourite.

I don't for a second blame fighters like Aoki staying in Japan and making there fortune,but for me there has to come a time in there careers when they say fuck it,I'm going to prove I'm the best LW out there,and the only way he could prove that would be to have a few fights in the UFC,hell you can see out a UFC contract in 18 months,barring injury.
    And soon it should be alot easier for the Japanese fighters,as I'm 100% confident that the UFC are going to be putting on regular shows over there.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:54 pm