THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
payneNglory1
Raiden
Paolo_73
rudeboyben84
8 posters

Cesar Gracie on Diaz's smoking

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Cesar Gracie on Diaz's smoking Empty Cesar Gracie on Diaz's smoking

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:28 pm

“People who don’t like Nick Diaz, that doesn’t make sense to me because here’s a guy who has never put a syringe in his (expletive) in his life. He’s a clean fighter. That’s the way it is. He wants to smoke a little weed every once in a while. Who am I to say what a grown man can do? That’s my take on it. I’m not advocating anyone (use marijuana). That’s a personal choice, like I wouldn’t advocate if you wanted to drink a beer or not. I think it’s the exact same thing. He’s got a legal license in California for it, a doctor’s prescription for his ADHD, so it’s not illegal for where he’s at here.”

“Obviously it’s not a performance enhancing drug, so therefore trying to take the guy’s win away – all of these guys testing positive for steroids, and we’ll focus on Nick’s weed thing forever. Let’s talk about that forever. Oh, we did steroids, that’s fine. Let’s not talk about that. You did some cocaine or something. People have this fetish for the weed thing or something. It doesn’t give you an advantage. I was there for the Gomi fight and Nick was not stoned for the Gomi fight. That would have made him too slow. You can’t be completely stoned and wanting to hang out on the couch or something.”

“Obviously he wasn’t stoned for Gomi, but Nevada State with that idiot over there. I can’t remember his name. The little moron guy that was only an athletic commissioner guy because his daddy owned the hotel. He was pathetic and he wanted to make an example of Nick because, who knows? There are theories. Nick wasn’t in the UFC. The day Nick’s not in the UFC he’s testing positive. That was kind of a weird thing because he always smoked the night before (UFC fights). Then all of a sudden he’s in Pride and he’s testing positive. Oh we’re going to take your win away.”

“Pride actually paid him a win bonus after he tested positive. They said, ‘nah, this is just a bunch of Nevada (expletive), and he won that fight.’ He got the win bonus and he went on from there. These days he takes ten days off and does herbal cleansers or whatever. He said, ‘hey, I’m not going to test positive again,’ and he hasn’t since. He quits smoking before his fights now. He got tested in Florida and it came up clean.”
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Cesar Gracie on Diaz's smoking Empty Re: Cesar Gracie on Diaz's smoking

Post  Paolo_73 Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:13 pm

I'm no Diaz fan, but it does make me laugh that here's a guy who looks like he belongs in some teen angst drama series mumbling and smoking weed with a finger up at everyone, but at the same time he's out there dominating his division. I can't work him out at all....
    Raiden
    Raiden
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Cesar Gracie on Diaz's smoking Empty reply

Post  Raiden Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:47 pm

Good post

Nick Diaz is one of my favourite fighters, I think Cesar made some good points.

I also think it's unfair that his win against Gomi was overturned.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:44 pm

Records mean fuck all in MMA, I saw him beat Gomi and so did everyone else. He got his bonus and there isnt an MMA fan ive heard who counts it as a NC.

Americans take longer to grow up, Nick is just in a rebelious teen stage! Laughing

But he isnt breaking the law by smoking, if Tank Abbott is allowed to chin pints of stella with page 3 girls before he fights Diaz doing a few bongs the night before is harmless. Ive trained after a smoke and it seriously took away my agression and motivation!

I think Diaz is a funny character, very immature or whatever but one hell of an athlete, Id be tempted to say top 10 p4p after his next win
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:10 pm

I don't think people dislike Diaz because he smokes weed,people think Daiz and his brother are dicks because of their gangbanger mentality,the hand signs and sucking teeth shit annoys the shit out of me,and their complete lack of respect for anybody around them especially other fighters is terrible.

I think they are great fighters,well Nick is,but before and after every fight,they are always bitching about something or someone or somebody has wronged them in some way.

The weed thing is crazy though,I smoke a shit load of the stuff,but if I tried to throw as many punches as Diaz does in just one rd,my lungs would burst out of my chest,I can't see any benefits of smoking weed while training for a fight,apart from bringing yourself down after a workout but still it's got to effect his lung capacity in a bad way(not that you would ever notice that with Nick).
    Also I'm not sure about some claims that it dulls the sences so that you don't feel the full effects of a punch because surely if it dulls those sences then it's going to have a bad effect on your other sences,like speed,cardio and reaction time.

The thing is though,Nick is a pro athelete and they are all given lists of banned substances,weed is one of them and no matter what alot of us think about the effects of weed,it is still banned substance and he shouldn't be smoking it.
    He fought in Gomi in Vegas under US rules not japan who are an embarressment to profesional sports when it comes to allowing drug cheats,he failed a test that he wouldn't of if he never smoked weed before hand,He knew the rules,his whole camp know the rules and we all know the rules,so whats exactly is the complaint?

Everyone else has to stick to the rules and weed is a banned substance by every major world sporting governing body,so I don't even see why it's an issue for him,but again it's this shitty gangbanger mentality where the man is just trying to put me down and everyone is against me,so fuck em I'm going to show em crap,when the thing is nobody has done anything wrong towards him,he just has a giant chip on his shoulders,it's him that decided to brake the rules and smoke the stuff,nobody forced him,he just needs to grow up,move on and suffer the consiquences for the decisions he makes.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:27 pm

I think it's more that I don't agree with that rule in the first place. In my opinion if it doesn't benefit the fighter in a sporting way, then it isn't the sporting commissions fight to decide whether or not a fighter can smoke it.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:48 pm

But it's still an illegal substance in the US and most of the world,just because Cali have a state law that allows it for medical use has in no way legalized it.Anybody in Cali can get themselves a card now,it's the same with anything,they tried to make it just for the really sick who would really benifit from it and now that has been abused to where anybody can get it.The people this state law was originally made for are far to sick to ever become professional fighters and these newer conditions like ADHD all have legal,far more effective medications to take to controll the effects,again it's just another excuse to smoke and keep up his fuck the world badboy image.

If it becomes legalized,then I 100% agree with you that it should not be on the banned substance list,though I would still think any fighter using it would be foolish because at the end of the day it's still smoking and it's going to have bad effect on your health.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:08 pm

But Nick Smoking it is legal, If its not Illegal dont stop him doing it. I think smoking pure Green without Tobacco in it is ok for your lungs... I dont know. Im on Nicks side on this, if its legal dont bust his balls for it. Especially when half the fighters in Japan are Juicing! Anyway he passed the drug tests last time round, so he has beat the flawed system his own way.

He is a prick for the Gangsta image but you cant not love any figher with that sort of punch output! Also the smoking seems to have done no hard he completes triathalons and ironman competitions all the time doesnt he?

I just dont want to see such a tallented fighter get penalised for doing something that isnt illegal.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:02 pm

CSAC POSITION ON MEDICAL MARIJUANA

The California State Athletic Commission’s position is that Marijuana is a banned substance pursuant to Rule 303 and that any positive drug test may result in discipline.

The California Supreme Court has weighed in on “Medical Marijuana” in the employment context and has found that an employer may discipline an employee for off-duty medical marijuana use. The court found that the Compassionate Use Act did not legalize marijuana use per se, but merely provided a defense to criminal charges under particular circumstances. The Court acknowledged that marijuana still had a potential for abuse and that employers continued to have a legitimate interest in whether an employee uses the drug. The Court declined to extend the protections of the Compassionate Use Act any further than the plain language of the Act and into the employer-employee relationship.

Although the question springs from professional licensing rather than employment, much of the Court’s rationale applies. Because the Compassionate Use Act only provides a defense to criminal charges, any argument that the Act would allow an athlete to use the drug without consequences to his or her license must fail. If the Court were to take up a similar challenge to discipline of a licensee, it would likely find that the Commission has a legitimate interest in whether or not an athlete uses the drug because marijuana could slow a fighter’s reflexes and endanger his or her health and safety in the ring or the cage.

Therefore, given the limited reach of the Compassionate Use Act and the rationale of the Supreme Court in Ross v. RagingWire Telcomm, the Commission may safely discipline an athlete without running afoul of any law or court decision.

Weed,not so good for the lungs
    http://www.marijuanaaddiction.info/news-left.htm?aid=57
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:05 pm

Not trying to start a weed should be legalized campaign here but it does fuck all to your health. Litterly Caffiene is a cause of more deaths last year.

I like Diaz, his personality is that of a dickhead but thats fine with me because I like Mir and Ortiz as well. I find it amusing.

He can do whatever he wants, I don't care, taking weed isn't cheating. Illegal or legal its not cheating so there are no problems with me.

I count the Gomi fight as a win for him, absolute bullshit that that was a NC.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:10 pm

Sorry for going off-topic here, but can someone tell how Crocop-Al turk and Rumble-Burns fight were not changed to a no contest?

I accept the Diaz fight being a no-contest as he clearly broke the rules but what about the fights i mentioned above. What is the point of having an appeal system in MMA then.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:05 pm

Shite. Thats why I hate going my Recores in MMA, Rumble gets TKO'd with an eyestrike? Al Turk too but he was on his way out! Laughing Its the stupidest thing ever.

Rumble actually wrote to the comission and said I got poked in the eye can it be made a N/C (which no doubt they can see Video evidence of and see it was an eyepoke) but they said no, we dont change our decisions....

Nice one! lol! I dont know how things are run but its not very professional that results can be Overturned for a Spliff or Being Sexy and Oiling yourself up...

Cesar Gracie on Diaz's smoking Yoshihiro-Akiyama1

That CAN be overturned, that made enough of a differnece that they would do something about it. but you can go out there poke a guy in the eyes and win "TKO"ing him. Im with you on that mate. Needs to be changed.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:07 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:Sorry for going off-topic here, but can someone tell how Crocop-Al turk and Rumble-Burns fight were not changed to a no contest?

I accept the Diaz fight being a no-contest as he clearly broke the rules but what about the fights i mentioned above. What is the point of having an appeal system in MMA then.

the referee had already made the call in those instances, i.e a decision had already been made.

Diaz tested +ve after the fight so it wasnt like they were overruling the referree or anything.

at least i think thats it.

anyway stop the fucking whining, he knew the rules and he broke them.

p.s. it was rightfully changed to a no contest.....Gomi gassed from smelling Nick's breath Laughing

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:10 am