THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
George_Louis_Costanza@who
Shanemc
rudeboyben84
7 posters

Cotto Training with MMA fighers...

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Cotto Training with MMA fighers... Empty Cotto Training with MMA fighers...

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:40 pm

http://mmabay.co.uk/Video%2010075.html
    http://mmabay.co.uk/Video%20A%2000317.html

Sorry couldnt post the actual Videos because im in work but check out Cotto sparring with Miguel Torres and Kurt Pellegrino!!

Cotto is a really big 147lbs fighter in Boxing Terms but he started his career at 140lbs and I think Fought Manny at a catchweight of 145lbs. Cotto could potentially be a Featherweight or a Lightweight.

Can you imagine Jose Aldo vs Cotto!!! That would be a war. Cotto is still one of the top 15-20 P4p Boxers in the world I reckon. He has only 1 propper loss in his career to Manny Pacquaio and has beat the likes of Sugar Shane Mosley.

I doubt MMA could offer Cotto a big enough Payday but Cotto fighting MMA would be 10 times bigger than Toney or any of these other boxers trying their hand at MMA.

If Cotto picked up a big of Grappling it would be interesting to see how BJ Penn would do on the feet or Jose Aldo! Ive always liked Cotto and would kill to see him in MMA! Maby once his Boxing career winds down.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Cotto Training with MMA fighers... Empty Re: Cotto Training with MMA fighers...

Post  Shanemc Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:59 pm

thats a nice combination Torees throws there im sure after that Cotto stopped playing and battered him.I doubt that cotto would transition to mma he must be making millions a fight i wouldnt be surprised if it was up around 10 million for the pacqauip fight
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:05 pm

Cotto has moved up to 154 Ben (fighting Yuri Foreman in May, I think) he looks huge in the Videos must be around 170 !
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:43 pm

Foreman is a good fighter, forgot this way happening... Hope Cotto wins, he is a real powerfull fighter and with the extra weight might be able to put his power to use more. I always wondered if he was draining himself with the weight cuts.

The Margarito fight made my heart sink, the beating he took and the look in his eyes... Im 100% Margarito had plaster in his wraps this fight because the Cuts and facial damage Cotto took wasnt normal. Id love him to Avenge that loss.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:07 pm

yeah the foreman fight should be good i see Cotto getting the win there hes going back to his old trainer i think for that fight and yeah ben the margarito fight was brutal and i agree he had cheated but still it was a great fight and showed Cottos warrior spirit
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:24 pm

A rematch with Margarito would be quality, MArgarito is the ultimate steriotypical Mexican fighter... the Millet and the inhuman punch resistance, youd need a shotgun to put that guy down! I think he is a rat for cheating but Id still like to see a rematch with Cotto.

Whats the Craic with Cottos trainer Shane? I thought his Uncle was training him? I wonder if being round his family during a training camp makes him soft or makes him not work as hard? before the Margarito loss people were saying that Floyd was ducking him!! I hope he gets back on track, no shame in loosing to Pacman..

What you think about Pacman refusing the tests? Teddy Atlas swears blind that he was seen emails from the Pacquaio camp asking the Mayweather camp what would happen is Pacman failed the tests? Mosley is taking the tests and he has pissed hot and been banned for doing so in the past...

If Pacman had Juiced Cotto would have never lost a fair fight. Though I believe Pacman, him and Roach just dont seem the type to cheat, and that email sounds Bollox... how dumb would the Pacman camp have to be to send an email like that! Laughing
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:46 pm

after the margarito fight cotto and his father(rip) fell out with his his uncle i think he said he didnt want have so much distractions in his camp i believe there was alot fighting going on with him so he took his assistant i believe joe santiago to train him for the clottey and pacman fights but as we saw in the pacman fight he wasnt ready to be training fighters at cottos level as he didnt no what advice to give him and let that fight go on way to long so hes back with his uncle now as after his father passed away they made up. Im not sure what to think of the steriod allegations really it did find it quite strange pacqauio refused the tests and said hes afraid of needles which is bollix he has alot of tattoos but he said it drains him i think he would have plenty of time to recover after it wasnt it 21 or 14 days? the whole email thing Atlas told about is very interesting i cant see teddy lying about something like that hes one of the most respected people in the sport if other evidence did come forward of the emails then it seems that pacman is guilty as if he was clean there would be no reason to send them but i think the whole steriod accusations was put together by the mayweathers to get under pacqauio and roachs skin and give him a bad name and it has seemed to work as alot have turned on him for it sadly i dont see mayweather and pacqauio ever fighting which would be prob the biggest fight in boxing for years
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:56 pm

I used to be a big fan of Margarito. His win over Kermit Cintron was a great watch. Cintron landed a number of big looking shots on Margarito but he just kept walking through them and throwing back. Margarito's chin and pressure told and Cintron was KO'd in the sixth.

I was surprised, but happy, to see him beat Cotto and as such reckoned he'd walk through the ageing Moseley to force a fight with Mayweather. As it turned out Moseley handed him a boxing lesson and Margarito was exposed as a cheat. He is apparently now being mooted for a comeback in May leading to a potential clash with Pacquaio later in the year.

I don't think Margarito shouldn't be allowed in a boxing ring again though. Judging by the damage Cotto sustained I'd agree that Margarito's gloves must have been loaded in the fight. I guess it's fortunate that neither Cotto or Moseley suffered any serious damage, although Cotto hasn't looked the same fighter since the fight.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:36 pm

cotto did not walk through mosley that was a close fight and mosley nearly ko'd cotto in the 9th. i really like margarito aswell and want to see him fight again but im not sure if he will be aloud just got to hope they give him the chance to fight in america again if not he will be fighting in mexico for the rest of his career. luckily they found the stuff in margaritos wraps before the mosley fight because he could have got seriously injured but even if he had his wraps stuffed i still think mosley would have beat him that night he completly schooled him amazing performance hopefully that mosley shows up against mayweather and make it a very interesting fight
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:56 pm

Shanemc wrote:cotto did not walk through mosley that was a close fight and mosley nearly ko'd cotto in the 9th.

I know, I thought Margarito would walk through Moseley.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:06 pm

Fucking hell I hate it when people cheat like that, its garbage what Margarito did in those fights. I've heard that Danny Green loaded his gloved in the RJJ fights, I think authorities need to check gloves before fights.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:17 pm

Moose Stuff For Money... wrote:
    Shanemc wrote:cotto did not walk through mosley that was a close fight and mosley nearly ko'd cotto in the 9th.

sorry i read that wrong mate yeah me to was shocked when he destroyed him like that nearly as much when hopkins schooled pavlik
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:18 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Fucking hell I hate it when people cheat like that, its garbage what Margarito did in those fights. I've heard that Danny Green loaded his gloved in the RJJ fights, I think authorities need to check gloves before fights.

agreed its terrible for the sport. do the authorities not already check gloves? i thought after the luis resto scandal it was mandatory
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:39 pm

It probably is now, im just suprised that a few have gotten away with it recently. I don't know if the Green thing was true or bullshit but im pretty sure nowadays its a must to check gloves.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:54 pm

This is what I've picked up but I might not be correct...

I think the wraps are soaked in plaster and are then applied to the boxer whilst damp. An official should be present whilst the wraps are applied and should sign the wraps if he is happy. A member of the other fighter's team can also be present if they wish to be (Cotto did not have anyone watching whilst Margarito's wraps being applied). By fight time the plaster on the wraps should have hardened into loaded gloves.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:24 pm

Shanemc wrote:
    Moose Stuff For Money... wrote:

sorry i read that wrong mate yeah me to was shocked when he destroyed him like that nearly as much when hopkins schooled pavlik

haha thats great mate, Mosley did school him, 2nd best recent Moment... hard to top a last second KO!! Hopkins schooled Pavlik so badly! He made him think he was an alco and duck a fight with a Welterweight (Paul Williams) BHOP is a legend, as a preson I think he is a closet case but i respect him as a fighter, I think his career will surpass RJJ. Jones chin is shot to shit, he is only talking that shit about Green because he is ashmed and wasnts to make the fight with BHOP not seem a missmatch... Jones just doesnt have the style to fight will he is old. He was always about having just about the quickes reactions humanly possible, and in his hayday he age slows you, It didnt fuck with Hopkiins style so much but Jones is getting hit and rocked with shots he would have slipped back in the day.

Its a fight I still want to see, they a generation on their way out and I dont mind seeing fights that should have happened years ago like Couture vs Coleman... and like that fight it probabally wont live up to the hype and be a 1 sided beatdown!
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:31 pm

Hopkins' longetivity might give him a greater legacy than Jones Jnr but Jones in his prime was a superior boxer.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:33 pm

Ye I really like the executioner as a fighter as well, possibly my favourite boxer. So old but still outstanding, he really did humiliate Pavlik. Im still pissed off with the Calzaghe decision, bullshit judging IMO and Calzaghe should have atleast had the decency to have given him a rematch. BHOP's personality is a little irritating, he is like Mayweather and Josh Koscheck with the way he thinks the white people aren't atheltes and that business. Granted that the black athletes are generally more athletic but you can't Lesnar and GSP aren't athletes.

Anyway, I think BHOP will batter RJJ and then hopefully shut Toney up for a while. Does he still want to fight Haye?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:40 pm

Moose Stuff For Money... wrote:Hopkins' longetivity might give him a greater legacy than Jones Jnr but Jones in his prime was a superior boxer.

Without question, Jones was something else in his Prime but so was Tyson and I havnt seen him cracking most credible top 10 lists! Laughing I wish I had of watched more of RJJ fights live, Its the reason I watch every Mayweather fights... you know your seeing something that doesnt come around so ofter, both exceptional althlets at the top of a sport looking untouchable.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:44 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Ye I really like the executioner as a fighter as well, possibly my favourite boxer. So old but still outstanding, he really did humiliate Pavlik. Im still pissed off with the Calzaghe decision, bullshit judging IMO and Calzaghe should have atleast had the decency to have given him a rematch. BHOP's personality is a little irritating, he is like Mayweather and Josh Koscheck with the way he thinks the white people aren't atheltes and that business. Granted that the black athletes are generally more athletic but you can't Lesnar and GSP aren't athletes.

Anyway, I think BHOP will batter RJJ and then hopefully shut Toney up for a while. Does he still want to fight Haye?

I hate Haye he is so cheesy but ill always watch him fight, guy has crazy amounts of explosive power... Hopkins must be smoking crack to want to fight him, Haye would batter him. Hopkins has had a granite Jaw against Middleweights but Haye would make him look old... he is literally faster to the punch! Sloppy when in defence but its not RJJ in his prime vs Ruiz who couldnt take a single shot of Tua.. Haye vs BHOP is a missmatch. We would see hopins chin suddenly go the way of Liddells! By the way Haye vs Tua is a fight we need to see, Its the figth Boxigs Heavyweight devision needs to pick it up. It would be a war!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:52 pm

I want to see Haye fight one of the Kilticko brothers, there the two best HWs in boxing right now and the real big test for Haye. I don't like him either, especially with the bullshit shits he wore but he seems all talk right now. I hope he doesn't "Calzghe" the rest of his career.

I want to see Tua batter Arreola, I can't stand him.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:44 am

Chelsea i origianally thought the calzaghe decision was bs but i watched again and calzaghe comfortably won hopkins just didnt enough even harold lederman the hbo judge scored the fight to calzaghe by 4 or 5 rounds and he is usually always right
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:45 am

Also i think Hopkins beats RJJ this time round but RJJ will give account of himself i really think he will give hopkins problems but im sure by the end of it hopkins will have broke him down
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:05 am

Moose Stuff For Money... wrote:This is what I've picked up but I might not be correct...

I think the wraps are soaked in plaster and are then applied to the boxer whilst damp. An official should be present whilst the wraps are applied and should sign the wraps if he is happy. A member of the other fighter's team can also be present if they wish to be (Cotto did not have anyone watching whilst Margarito's wraps being applied). By fight time the plaster on the wraps should have hardened into loaded gloves.

That's one way, the other way to do it is after the gloves are signed off by the athletic commission you can spray them with a mixture of fibreglass and plaster. So it coats them and hardens up. It tends to break up and come off the wraps during the fight and stick the inside of the glove so when the fighter pulls his gloves out of the hand gloves at the end of the fight his wraps look normal.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:02 pm

Yeah I think Calzaghe won when I watched it. Hopkins did give a very very poor account of himself though, He wasnt on form at all... He did drop Calzaghe and there was only a couple of points in it. Since he took out Pavlik and stopped talk of Calzaghe vs PAvlik I think Joe owed him a rematch, But Calzaghe is the biggest Ducker in the history of boxing... I hear Calzaghe is waiting till Ali gets on a few more years and he is going to start going after him.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 1:10 pm