THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
Paolo_73
rudeboyben84
pinsman
7 posters

A history of MMA

pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

A history of MMA Empty A history of MMA

Post  pinsman Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:18 pm

I am just about to delve into an interesting looking book called No Holds Barred, by a gentleman called Clyde Gentry. Its basically a book about the history of Ultimate Fighting. Just thought this would be an interesting and knowledgable topic about what people know about where MMA originated from? Theres some cool pictures, one of MuHammad Ali vs Antonio Inoki from way back, and many of orginal UFC fighters.

Lets see what you know!?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

A history of MMA Empty Re: A history of MMA

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:51 pm

Cool sounds a good read... although I havnt finished a book in ages! Too many blows to the head must have given me a short attention span! Laughing

What was the craic with the Ali vs Inoki fight? I know Inoki was just flopping on his bac kand leg kicking Ali... though I hear it was staged?

Is it a history of MMA or specifically UFC?

Id love to read some Vale Tudo history etc.. I wonder if there is any mentin of the Brazilian MMA I saw that was a Concrete wall and 3 sides of a cage round it! Was crazy stuff!

I remember reading about a really old MMA fight were some Massive Zulu fought some Tiny Japanese Judo guy... Cant remember where I read it.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:56 pm

The old Vale Tudo fights sound absolutely brutal, was it Chuck's book where he was saying he fought some guy bare knuckle and beat him so badly that his scalp was basically hanging off in a flap. Chuck looked around the room as if to say 'shall we stop now' and nobody was batting an eyelid!

Imagine coming up through those kind of underground tournaments, talk about a baptism of fire!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:10 pm

Wanderlei had agood few bare Knuckle fights under his belt, I remember seeing him on top of someone tangled in teh lower net (between the floor and bottom rope) and he was mangling his face with Bare Knuckle punches! There is also an old Video of him in a brutal scrap were he busts his own face up by headbutting the guy so often!! Valo Tudo was brutal. Remember hearing people would get stitched back up between fights and sent out to fight again the same night!!

Id love to fing the early stories I read about MMA, I think there are one or 2 good Wikipedia articles... Ill have a look for them.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:20 pm

Ben did you know you can get the old IVC events on DVD from amazon in the states?
    http://www.amazon.com/International-Vale-Tudo-Championships-Wanderlei/dp/B000BHNNOC
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:23 pm

I've read 22 pages since posting the topic and it's started off really well!! It gives you the historic side of things with bouts that were BC!! HAHA! and then mainly concentrates on THE UFC from 1993 - 1997 i think!

Ancient Greece had something called "Pankration" in which only eye gouging and biting were illegal, and referees would stand around the arena, and flog the contestants if illegal moves were made!! Fighters fought in the nude and didn't wear gloves the ways of winning the bouts were by submission, dislocation and fracture of bones or DEATH!! and if a winner hadn't been decided by sunset they would enter a stage called Klimax which would mean basically they would take turns at bashing each other until one couldnt carry on. Pritty brutal stuff! I'm pritty sure this says it was an olyimpic sport too! Ancient though I should add.

The Ali fight was supposed to be pre determined but Ali would not agree to Losing (chucking away 6million dollars in doing so), so they told Inoki he could not throw or submit Ali, so thats why he did what he did. The fight was deemed a draw and Ali got 1.8 million for his troubles!
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:36 pm

I've read this book and it mainly focuses on the UFC - if I remember rightly, it is more focussed on the early years of the UFC. A good read and it is interesting to learn of the hassles the early organisers had to go through. The politics behind it all was incredible (fucking John McCain!!). Also, interesting to read about the influence of "Big" John McCarthy in the early years too.....

Enjoy!!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:40 pm

Nice avatar Giginho.

Gifs as avatars are the future Cool
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:02 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:Nice avatar Giginho.

Gifs as avatars are the future Cool

Is it still there? I can't see it at work but it was working on my home computer. Yeah i like the gif avatars - there are some really good ones out there too...
    KJGould
    KJGould
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KJGould Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:05 pm

This is the book you want to read on MMA history, imo.

A history of MMA Ed0fbb50171248s4
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:27 pm

I'm mainly reading about the Gracies and how jui jutsu turned into Judo and then went over to Brazil and turned to brazilian jiu jitsu and obv how the gracies kicked every other martial art going during the late 60's and 70's. Have to say i'm not a big reader but can't put this book down at the moment. Will have a look for that other book KJ...
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:59 am

The book kjgould recommends is available in waterstones, and I can heartily recommend it as well. Covers the history of ufc and pride, and quite a bit before that. Its fairly irreverant regarding both the Gracies and ken shamrock, but has the interviews as evidence to back it up.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:47 pm

From 1928... some really early MMA!! That would explain the use of the word Negro! Laughing

"One report from São Paulo declares that Jiu Jitsu is truly an art and that in an interesting exhibition in the side tent to the big circus a Bahian negro of monstrous dimensions met his waterloo at the hands of a diminutive Japanese wrestler. The negro was an expert at Capoeira, an old South American style of fighting, but after putting the Japanese on his back and trying to kick his head... the little oriental by the use of a Jiu Jitsu hold threw the Bahian and after a short struggle he was found sitting on the silent frame of the massive opponent."
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:20 pm

Ben, that sounds like a very un-pc report on a fantasy fight between sapp and sakuraba:)
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:27 pm

Albion_Oakley wrote:Ben, that sounds like a very un-pc report on a fantasy fight between sapp and sakuraba:)

Laughing Laughing

Heres some Boxer vs Wrestler and other old MMA fights from Wikipedia... Also a bit more PC!

In the USA the first major encounter between a boxer and a wrestler in modern times took place in 1887 when John L. Sullivan, then heavyweight world boxing champion, entered the ring with his trainer, Greco-Roman wrestling champion William Muldoon, and was slammed to the mat in two minutes. The next publicized encounter occurred in the late 1890s when future heavyweight boxing champion Bob Fitzsimmons took on European Greco-Roman wrestling champion Ernest Roeber. Reportedly, Roeber suffered a fractured cheekbone in this bout, but was able to get Fitzsimmons down on the mat, where he applied an armlock and made the boxer submit. In Europe, around the 19th century, the Italian Giovanni Raicevich, skilled in Greco-Roman wrestling was defeated by Akitaro Ono, a Japanese heavyweight fighter skilled in Jujutsu, Judo, and Sumo, throwing him on the mat by one-arm shoulder throw. In 1936, heavyweight boxing contender Kingfish Levinsky and veteran professional wrestler Ray Steele competed in a mixed match, which Steele won in 35 seconds
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:44 pm

You have to bear in mind many of the matches described there will have been rigged or "worked" in pro wrestling parlance. Another example is Primo Carnera, who had succesful careers in both Boxing and Pro wrestling. Of course all of his wrestling matches were worked (99.9% of pro wrestling was worked by 1900), but there also is a strong suspicion amongst boxing peeps that most of his Boxing matches were also rigged.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:22 pm

Its hard to know what was and what wasnt worked back then but reports of broken cheekbones is enough for me! I didnt know Primo had any fixed figths.. I hear some were suspicious of his record but I dont know the guy was a Giant... The MAx Baer fight certainly wasnt worked! Laughing
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:53 pm

Yeah there was at the time even a lot of suspicion around his fights being fixed. There are reports of his oppnents staying down despite his punch not even making contact!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:05 am