THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

4 posters

Andrei Arlovski to fight Fres Oquendo at Feb. 27 boxing exhibition bout

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Andrei Arlovski to fight Fres Oquendo at Feb. 27 boxing exhibition bout Empty Andrei Arlovski to fight Fres Oquendo at Feb. 27 boxing exhibition bout

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:52 am

Out of action since a June 2009 TKO loss to Brett Rogers, former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski returns to a ring – rather than a cage – for a four-round boxing exhibition bout with heavyweight boxer Fres Oquendo.

Arlovski's camp today announced the fight, which takes place Feb. 27 at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach hotel in Florida.

The exhibition fight serves as a fundraiser for The Consequences Charity, a nonprofit organization that works to prevent adolescent criminal behavior via community support and intervention programs.

All proceeds from ticket sales and auction items from the event, dubbed "The Blacks Annual Gala," go the charity.

"I am honored to step into the ring with a great fighter like Fres Oquendo," Arlovski stated. "This is going to be an exciting exhibition match, but we already know the winner: the children we are helping."

Arlovski (15-7), 31, hasn't fought since his back-to-back losses to Fedor Emelianenko and Rogers in 2009. Prior to the defeats, the former UFC title-holder had posted five consecutive wins (four via knockout), which included three straight wins in the UFC. However, after electing not to re-sign with the UFC, Arlovski fought for Affliction Entertainment (before its eventual demise) and Strikeforce and has emerged as the No. 2 ranked heavyweight behind Emelianenko.

Oquendo, 36, owns a 31-5 professional boxing record with 20 career knockouts during a 12-year pro career. Still ranked among the heavyweight division's top 10 by many media outlets, Oquendo is 5-1 since 2007, and the lone loss came to notable (and UFC hopeful) James Toney via split decision. Oquendo perhaps may be best known for a controversial November 2006 unanimous-decision loss to Evander Holyfield for the vacant USBA heavyweight title.

"I have seen Arlovski in the ring and in the cage, and I am excited to be able to showcase my skills against an MMA legend," Oquendo stated. "Believe me, we are going to go at it for four rounds with the goal that every punch and every blow helps this cause.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17898/andrei-arlovski-takes-on-boxer-fres-oquendo-at-feb-27-boxing-exhibition-bout.mma
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Andrei Arlovski to fight Fres Oquendo at Feb. 27 boxing exhibition bout Empty Re: Andrei Arlovski to fight Fres Oquendo at Feb. 27 boxing exhibition bout

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:17 am

i think these guys are sparring partners.

in fact....i know they are!

WAYNEEBCFC
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Andrei Arlovski to fight Fres Oquendo at Feb. 27 boxing exhibition bout Empty Re: Andrei Arlovski to fight Fres Oquendo at Feb. 27 boxing exhibition bout

Post  WAYNEEBCFC Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:56 pm

if only Andrei had a chin...
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:33 pm

arlovski looked pretty decent there as oquendo is a good fighter

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 11:05 pm