THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+14
Ginginho
Bulldog67
Once Mohawked Pete
ChelseaQuinsfan
George_Louis_Costanza@who
rudeboyben84
TomHughes1983
Paolo_73
Albion_Oakley
hendos_right_hook
manschesthair_utd
Anfields5thKing
redmeanie77
payneNglory1
18 posters

Womens MMA

Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Womens MMA - Page 2 Empty Re: Womens MMA

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:47 pm

IMO it's all about the skills. I am slightly worried about mismatched fights, but, with time and more acceptance, the fights will become more even.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Cyborg/Coenen fight and I would much rather watch that, than Couture/Vera for example.

I do agree that Cyborg appears to be a class apart, but then so is GSP at WW, BJ at LW and Fedor at HW, I still want to watch them.

I understand that some find women fighting repellent, but it's all about the context. I don't like the sight of grown men fighting in the street, but, put them in a cage/ring, with rules and it becomes amazing.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:49 pm

Spot on Pete, couldn't have said it better mate.

Some shocking ignorance in this thread. Great posts by Tom though.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:46 pm

yeah,Tom you've become a great addition to the Armbar family,great posts mate.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:04 pm

Couture/Vera for example

The girls or the guys?

I agree that the gap between Cyborg and the rest of the womens division is similar to GSP, SIlva ect but new conteners can always appear and if not they fight each other and by then new contenders appear.

Cyborg still has Toughill to face but I think she beats her. WHat other good female MMA fighters are there? Kerry Vera looks good so far, the wife of Brandon Vera she has a good kickboxing background.

Scary thing about Cyborg is she is only 24! A long road of domination is ahead.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:27 pm

Only 24! She has the face of a 40 year old Laughing

I can't see any way of her being beaten, but then I think that would be good for the sport of women's MMA. A dominant figurehead of the Fedor variety would be just what it needs.

Probably a shame its not Carano, shes clearly a very marketable lady!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:07 pm

i almost fainted.

24!!!!!!!

HOLY SHIT.

she is wand in a wig.

Womens MMA - Page 2 Chris-cyborg-santos

also how did no-one else think of "Guyborg" before now?

drag queen!

Womens MMA - Page 2 Cris_cyborg_5410882
    Bulldog67
    Bulldog67
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Bulldog67 Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:25 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:dont know i should stop thinking that, they are not as good as men. simple as that.

less skilled, less power.
    any top 30 ranked mens 145er beats cyborg easily.

i dont go out of my way to watch womens basketball or football or rugby for the same reason i dont watch kids play sports.

sums it up for me, and u can sling tennis in there as well, physically inferior, whether highly skilled or not, so whats the point?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:34 pm

I have been following tennis for 8 years now, and i enjoy watching womens tennis, you cant compare them to mens game but in terms of skill and excitement, i quite enjoy it. (So im not a chauvanist payne Razz )

But for womens MMA, im just against it. I dont like watching it. Women fighting, punching each other inside a cage just doesnt seem right, in my head.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:45 pm

I agree, some very good posts by you today Tom, i hope you find time to post here more regularly.

But post of the day, goes to Paulo.

"Women play sport?"

Smile
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:51 pm

At least we know that Bulldogs wife is safely chained to the sink.
    Bulldog67
    Bulldog67
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Bulldog67 Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:14 pm

but u cant tell me im wrong Twisted Evil

spend my workin life for the last 20yrs campaigning and bein active for social justice, equality & inclusion, but stating FACTS doesnt make me a chauvanist, in a sport that requires physical strength as a significant percentage of its core, women will always come up 99.999999% short in comparison, whether they are mock men like cyborg or not.

I dont like womens footy coz its an inferior product, and i dont like womens mma coz its an inferior product

be brave lads, just admit you agree and free yourself from the shackles of a false and misinterpreted political correctness

tongue
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:04 pm

Bulldog67 wrote:but u cant tell me im wrong Twisted Evil

spend my workin life for the last 20yrs campaigning and bein active for social justice, equality & inclusion, but stating FACTS doesnt make me a chauvanist, in a sport that requires physical strength as a significant percentage of its core, women will always come up 99.999999% short in comparison, whether they are mock men like cyborg or not.

I dont like womens footy coz its an inferior product, and i dont like womens mma coz its an inferior product

be brave lads, just admit you agree and free yourself from the shackles of a false and misinterpreted political correctness

tongue

Does that mean that LWs are inferior to HWs, as they are smaller and less physically strong?

For me, as long as there are skills evident (and you cannot tell me that Cyborg does NOT have skills) then the size and physical strength can only be compared against other combatants within that division.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:10 pm

aldo>cyborg
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:43 pm

Bulldog67 wrote:but u cant tell me im wrong Twisted Evil

tongue

It's an inferior product because you are comparing them. They are separate things and should be treated as such.

Woman don't have to be as strong as men, or as good at sports as men, they have to be as good or better than other women.

And since what you've stated aren't fact, it does make you a chauvanist.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:45 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:aldo>cyborg

Fedor > Everybody.

Should the rest therefore give up?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:52 pm

Coenen has a better ground game than alot of male MMA fighters but she would still lose in a fight with them and Cyborg has a better all round game than alot of male fighters but still loses in a fight against a male fighter of the same weight.

you can't compare how a pro MMA women fairs against a male pro MMA fighter,there is a good reason why no top sports in the world are mixed,men are faster,stronger and more physical and have thousands of years of war and combat in our blood.

I judge women fighters on their skills and not the fact that they can't punch or kick as hard as a male.

people complain about your one dimensional fighters like Houston,Lawler and others but then they see a fighter like cyborg who has stand up,conditioning,heart and a good ground game but it's not respected just because she is a girl.
    Double standards.

Also alot of people love watching the smaller guys fight,because they go at a high pace for along time because they lack the power to finish in one punch and have to find other ways to win,well surely the same should goes in womens fights.

If you can't bear to see a women get hit than fair enough,but there is no way that it should be said that it's no good because they lack the talent.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:42 am

Look at someone like Kyra Gracie. An incredible BJJ fighter. In terms of BJJ she's better than any of the top 10 ranked flyweight male fighters. But it's fair to say that most, if not all of them would beat her in a grappling match.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:48 am

How does it necessarily follow that she would lose to an inferior male grappler of the same weight?
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:57 am

The womens matches I've seen have mostly been very entertaining. They are usually fast paced and well contested.

I would much rather watch two female athletes who are supremely skilled, fighting with determination and guts than two fat meatheads throwing windmill punches, tiring after 2 minutes and lying/leaning on each other for ten minutes.
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:21 am

manschesthair_utd wrote:aldo>cyborg

You would kind of hope that the best male 145ers in the world would be able to beat Cyborg. Jose can probably cut more weight and will be physically stronger than her because he's a man and she's a woman. It's why women and men fight in different divisions. Also, Aldo fights out of a camp that is famous for fighters that fight at the lower weight divisions. He'll be surrounded by fantastic fighters who he can train with every day. Cyborg trains out of Chute Boxe (who haven't been a force for a number of years) and is nowhere near as rounded as Aldo because he's been living in a world where being a successful male mixed martial artist is a career choice for the past ten years. Female fighting has only relatively recently been making major waves. Hook and Shoot event DVDs have been advertised for years on Sherdog but that doesn't mean that the events draw in a large income. The only people that have offered female fighters a major stage were Bodog, EliteXC and now Strikeforce. If you look at the pay disparancy between how much Kelly Kobold was paid to fight Carano and how much Carano paid you can understand why there isn't a derth in female fighters. It wasn't financially viable, the same can be said of female boxing, which was based mostly around name recognition after all the surname Ali goes a long way in the boxing world.
    Raiden
    Raiden
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Womens MMA - Page 2 Empty Reply

Post  Raiden Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:28 pm

excellent article -

I dont have too many mates that watch mma, my best mate does and I often hear him say "I'm not watchin that, women shouldn't be doing that" and comments along those lines

I've seen a few comments on the armbar which gave me the same message

I think there's been some excellent arguments made in favour of women's mma in this article, took the words out of my mouth a number of times.

In saying all this I havent actually watched any women's mma, I think its because its at such an early stage. I've watched some of the early UFC's and they are an absolute joke.

Maybe I should watch it before I comment but I do get the impression of double standards from comments like "I'm not watchin that women shouldn't be doing that". In the same way maybe people who make these comments should watch it.

Why was the Herchel Walker fight shown??? because he's a big name in NFL. I understand the reasoning behind it but at the same time it's ridiculous, the top female mixed martial artist in the world been shown is far far from ridicilous and much more respectful to the sport.
    Additional Generic
    Additional Generic
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Additional Generic Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:43 pm

To those people who say that men who dont't like seeing women get hit are chauvinists, just wondering would you hit a girl?

If not then why wouldn't you?
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:52 pm

Look at someone like Kyra Gracie. An incredible BJJ fighter. In terms of BJJ she's better than any of the top 10 ranked flyweight male fighters. But it's fair to say that most, if not all of them would beat her in a grappling match.

Why? Im not sure that is 100 per cent true, there is a fighter in the flyweight division called Robson Moura, and he has been a black belt since he was 18 and has won loads of BJJ championships. He is currently a 3rd rank BJJ black belt.

Anyway, hypothetically lets say Kyra was better than any flyweight in MMA at BJJ. Same weight but a superior grappler why wouldn't she beat them in a grappling match? Ye the guys are going to be stronger but if Kyra is a good enough grappler she should be able to submit him.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:00 pm

Albion_Oakley wrote:How does it necessarily follow that she would lose to an inferior male grappler of the same weight?

Men are stronger than women and men cut weight easier than women and can cut far more weight. Take aldo and cyborg, both fight at 145. Aldo cuts from about 165. Cyborg is about 155 max. Kyra gracie is 125, that's her weight. A lot of the 125 fighters will cut from 140. So they're 15lbs heavier and stronger. Huge advantages.

Additional, your point is irrelevant. Men hitting women is different to women hitting women. Especially when these women are trained to hit and get hit.

Chelsea, I forgot about moura. I'm right about the grappling though. I train with a second degree BB in Judo, and I train a purple belt who beats her regularly. They compete at the same weight class. She's far better than him, but he's much stronger and cuts more weight to make his grade.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:11 pm

It doesn't make you a chauvinist to not want so women get hurt, in most cases you don't want anyone hurt.

But I don't quite understand your second point, you wouldn't hit a guy for no reason either would you? why? Because its not the sane thing to do.

Chelsea, I forgot about moura. I'm right about the grappling though. I train with a second degree BB in Judo, and I train a purple belt who beats her regularly. They compete at the same weight class. She's far better than him, but he's much stronger and cuts more weight to make his grade.

Ye I see your point about cutting weight now, in most cases I would always except the second degree to beat her but not the purple so size is an issue.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 4:35 am