THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+14
Ginginho
Bulldog67
Once Mohawked Pete
ChelseaQuinsfan
George_Louis_Costanza@who
rudeboyben84
TomHughes1983
Paolo_73
Albion_Oakley
hendos_right_hook
manschesthair_utd
Anfields5thKing
redmeanie77
payneNglory1
18 posters

Womens MMA

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Womens MMA Empty Womens MMA

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:36 pm

There is obviously a big split of opinion on here about womens MMA and after the Cyborg-Coenen fight,I thought it would be a good a time as any to hear everyones views on this subject.

I'm personally for Womens MMA,as I'm of the opinion that if the skill level is high enough from both fighters and they have the knowledge and moves to show off what they can do,I want to see it and they have earned the right to show off their talents on a bigger stage.

I don't look at it as two fragile girls trying to hurt each other,I see it as two skilled opponents pitting their wits and skills against each other and I would much prefer to watch fights like the one the other night than some of the terrible unskilled male fighters that keep poping up on some of these big cards.

The only thing that I would be worried about in the Womens game,is if they have anough talent in the weight classes to keep the top women fighters,fighting competetive matches and not like when Cyborg fought that tiny japanese girl Akano.

I feel the same way about mens MMA,when they put on complete mismatches.I'm not into the japanese way of thinking,when they put on mismatches to build their star fighters up,because they want to show off the skills of the better fighter by letting them destroy an opponent that shouldn't even be in the same ring as them.

I want to see all MMA fights be it male or female as long as they are skilled fighters against competetive opponents.

what do you lot think?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Womens MMA Empty Re: Womens MMA

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:44 pm

I dont like it, and i dont think i ever will get into womens MMA. Ive heard people say that Cyborg fight was FOTN worthy, but still i wont be rushing along trying to get a link to the fight.

I dont know why exactly i dont like it, but it just seems wrong watching it. I hope we never see Womens MMA in the UFC.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:54 pm

Q) Marloes Coenen recently said that you are her hero. Do you enjoy watching female MMA?

A) To be honest, I don't approve women participating in mixed martial arts, or martial arts in general. I do not watch female fights.

Fedor ^^^^^^^^^^

"It will eventually catch up, but the only problem is like if you watch female kickboxing they bring out alot of intensity and even ametuer shows you see girls fighting each other. Women go in and enjoy the kickboxing aspect and the stricking aspect of martial arts; you just don't have alot of women yet, not enough to qualify having all the different weight classes that are into grappling. Most girls just don't like it.You go into most Juijitsu classes and you might see one or two girls training, you go to alot of gyms and you won't see any girls. You go to alot of gyms and primarily like one or two. Even at my gym we're pretty much 80% stand up and 20% ground, I have about 10 female students and none of them wanna grapple or spare with anybody. They like fighting, they just don't wanna you know go into the whole sweating and I don't know. It's a cultural thing.. most girls don't like to get on the ground. "

Mir ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"I'm not a big women's fan, I'm not. I'll just be honest and you can do what ever you want ... I'm just not a big fan of women hitting each other, I guess, is the way to say it.
    Umm.. You know I'm not trying to keep women away from being in the army, or or doing this and that, I personally just don't like to see a women get hit. So I'm not a fan of it, I'm not saying I don't watch it, but you know if it was a vote I would vote no. . . "

Matt Hughes ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

": I am against it. This kind of sport is not for women"

Aleks ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:59 pm

Hughes is bible touting farmer who believes woman should have kids and keep the home.

Fedor and Aleks are Russian which means they have been brought up to believe that women are born only to serve men.

Mir's just a chauvinist. He should have a look at someone like Kyra Gracie.

Cyborg vs Coenan was FOTN. A complete war with both women giving it everything. I hope we never see womens MMA in the UFC because Dana would just ruin it. I think it's excellent. It's good for MMA in general and i look forward to seeing more of it.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:00 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:

I dont know why exactly i dont like it, but it just seems wrong watching it.

This is what I hear alot of people say,and like yourself they never know why.(or they don't want to come across to people as a chauvinistic pig Wink )

Just kidding,I just want to know what or why makes people have a like or dislike to womens MMA.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:05 pm

it was not a fair fight.

despite Coenen's great skills she had no chance whatsoever of Koing or submitting Cyborg.

the fight was not great in my opinion, sloppy compared to most of the mens fights in the main orgs.

it was ok to watch during the fight but Coenen's face after the fight was not comfortable to see.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:16 pm

"Hughes is bible touting farmer who believes woman should have kids and keep the home"

lol! To be honest i thought he held back their in the interview, i was expecting more from him.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:23 pm

Overall i'm not against it, I not sure if i'd watch it, but I have no issue if two people are in a cage or ring who want to fight, let them.

Whoa if Dana ever got womens fights in UFC, eventually it would end up like this:

Womens MMA Wwedivas1
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:28 pm

I would class cyborg as the female version of Fedor and i think the first two lines that you said chesty would apply for him also but coenen did put up a competetive fight,she was avoiding alot of punishment because of the skill set she posseses and she landed a few clean big shots herself.

I'd back Coenen to beat the love of my life Gina.
    That hurt to say.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:30 pm

Dana "I'm not a huge fan of women fighting. Period"

Although he said he was half-heartedly considering to put Gina Carano - Cyborg fight on WEC a few years ago when EliteXC was going bust.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/13285/dana-white-willing-to-try-gina-carano-womens-mma-in-the-wec.mma
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:31 pm

hendos_right_hook wrote:

Womens MMA Wwedivas1

Is that girl in the middle that Victoria,I thought I read not so long ago that she was going to be competing in MMA soon.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:46 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:I would class cyborg as the female version of Fedor and i think the first two lines that you said chesty would apply for him also but coenen did put up a competetive fight,she was avoiding alot of punishment because of the skill set she posseses and she landed a few clean big shots herself.

I'd back Coenen to beat the love of my life Gina.
    That hurt to say.

not really.

Cyborg is clearly not 100% woman and thats what makes it a bit unfair.

she is physically stronger than all her opponents, and she is not going to get KOd any time soon.

its the nature of the heavyweights than anyone can be KOd, and Fedor wins on brains and skill.

Its more like the female version of Wand vs japanese cans in PRIDE.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:55 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:it was not a fair fight.

despite Coenen's great skills she had no chance whatsoever of Koing or submitting Cyborg.

the fight was not great in my opinion, sloppy compared to most of the mens fights in the main orgs.

it was ok to watch during the fight but Coenen's face after the fight was not comfortable to see.

Yeah but you're comparing it to mens fighting. That's your first problem. Stop doing that.

Do you watch the womens 100m sprints and think, "no it's not very good, Usain Bolt runs two seconds faster over that distance"? or watch womens basketball and think "these are some tall bitches, but they can't dunk?" No. You watch it as a separate sport and judge it on what it is.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:03 am

dont know i should stop thinking that, they are not as good as men. simple as that.

less skilled, less power.
    any top 30 ranked mens 145er beats cyborg easily.

i dont go out of my way to watch womens basketball or football or rugby for the same reason i dont watch kids play sports.

athletics is an exception though, dont know why.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:04 am

Cyborg is clearly not 100% woman and thats what makes it a bit unfair lol!

OK you've got me on that one,but I wouldn't put Coenen down as a can,she's got the skills and heart to put her claim in as a top ranked womens fighter.

If mens MMA is still classed as being in it's infancy,then womens MMA is still on it's way out of the ballbag and the only way to improve the standard of fighters is to make it more available to the Masses,which fighters like Gina,Cyborg and Coenen are doing a great job of,in my opinion of advertising it.

as soon as you start to get dedicated women fighters who can shake the stigma that surrounds women fighters and earn the money to train full time,then the standard will blow up.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:25 am

Personally i think Cyborg would beat a couple of the top 30 men at 145. Look at who she trains with! She's more than used to going against men, and generally men a lot bigger than her.

Chesty it's like Tennis as well. Just because the men are better doesn't mean the women aren't good.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:29 am

I'm all for it, if mma as a sport wants to increase its fan base exponentially it must be able to attract female fans and have female competitors.

I have a female friend who has 10 years kickboxing experience, and who recently destroyed an opponent 3 stones heavier than her in her boxing debut. If she learned a bit of ground she would be an awesome mma fighter.

As someone has already implied, the women in wwe are different. They are there to look pretty and with 1 or 2 can't even work a match. TNA on the other hand has a womens division full of good workers, and Victoria must have given up her MMA plans as she is now working in TNA under a different name
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:44 am

Women play sport?
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:13 am

I'd much rather watch Cyborg versus Coenen than watching two former amateur wrestling champions lay and pray for 15 minutes. The pair of them brought it full steam ahead and never held back for a single minute.

Women's MMA is just like men's except fought by two women instead of two men. It's that simple for me. The main problem at the moment is that women's MMA is still far behind men's. There is less competition split over a number of weight classes. There is a massive gap between the levels of fights because there is a a massive gap in the pay scales. It's very difficult to become a pro-athlete when you're making as much as a person who does a day to day office job. I don't have to pay for coaches, gyms, suppliments, physios and travel expenses in order to get paid at the end of the week. Most female fighters are doing another day job aside from fighting unlike a lot of say the top 30 of every division who are professional fighters. They eat, sleep and train and can do that because they make a lot of money through winning fights and through sponsorship.

As for Frank Mir and not knowing anything outside of American MMA, he's clearly never heard of Megumi Fuji who is an awesome grappler. The Japanese women's MMA scene has been going strong for a while now with a lot of lower weight women's fighters making an impact. The main problem is that these fighters are too small to make the 145lb limit which is why you had that debacle when Cyborg fought Akano.

I was very pleased to hear that Strikeforce will be putting on a women's tournament this year. It'll be good to showcase a whole bunch of female fighters who are top class and deserve a place in the spotlight. Hopefully they find someone who can give Cyborg some competition!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:18 pm

Paolo_73 wrote:Women play sport?

haha quality... I believe the do engage in sporting activities such as Volley Ball and Foxy Boxing! Laughing

Seriously lads, Womens MMA is a freakshow for this reason. Its on a lot lower level and because its an "attraction" or Freakshow their fights are getting Billed over good Mens fights.

If woment want to fight let them but dont show the fights over competitors like Joe Riggs. Im dead set against Womens MMA, its different that other sports I dont like seeing women get smacked around even if its by another woman, Its a lower level of sport that envolves women gettitng hurt?

Whats the appeal over Mens MMA? Its a novelty that hopefully will start to loose its main event status because I was gutted not to see a relativley high profile mens fight because of the Cyborg fight.
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:53 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Whats the appeal over Mens MMA? Its a novelty that hopefully will start to loose its main event status because I was gutted not to see a relativley high profile mens fight because of the Cyborg fight.

Actually Ben, you can blame that on Hershel Walker and Bobby Lashley. Jay Hieron and Joe Riggs should have been on the main card but the of ability can be found in those two fights. Lashley doesn't deserve the recognition yet as he's still only a can crusher. Yes, Sims can be a good fighter but not when he's only given a week to prepare, at least Lesnar was thrown to the wolves when he fought in the UFC. Walker was impressive too but nothing above a small scale heavy weight show, he deserves the recognition because of his other sporting achievements and because he was giving all of his prize money to charity but aside from that he wasn't that impressive. Coenen showed a lot of skill, she just wasn't as powerful as Cyborg. The same can be said of any weight division when you have monsters cutting weight.
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:23 pm

TomHughes1983 wrote:I'd much rather watch Cyborg versus Coenen than watching two former amateur wrestling champions lay and pray for 15 minutes. The pair of them brought it full steam ahead and never held back for a single minute.

Women's MMA is just like men's except fought by two women instead of two men. It's that simple for me. The main problem at the moment is that women's MMA is still far behind men's. There is less competition split over a number of weight classes. There is a massive gap between the levels of fights because there is a a massive gap in the pay scales. It's very difficult to become a pro-athlete when you're making as much as a person who does a day to day office job. I don't have to pay for coaches, gyms, suppliments, physios and travel expenses in order to get paid at the end of the week. Most female fighters are doing another day job aside from fighting unlike a lot of say the top 30 of every division who are professional fighters. They eat, sleep and train and can do that because they make a lot of money through winning fights and through sponsorship.

As for Frank Mir and not knowing anything outside of American MMA, he's clearly never heard of Megumi Fuji who is an awesome grappler. The Japanese women's MMA scene has been going strong for a while now with a lot of lower weight women's fighters making an impact. The main problem is that these fighters are too small to make the 145lb limit which is why you had that debacle when Cyborg fought Akano.

I was very pleased to hear that Strikeforce will be putting on a women's tournament this year. It'll be good to showcase a whole bunch of female fighters who are top class and deserve a place in the spotlight. Hopefully they find someone who can give Cyborg some competition!

Fully agree Tom, Toughill has been mentioned that could be a great fight Toughill has some pretty good stand up herself.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:52 pm

Here is the thing, women have the right to do whatever they want. As Chesty and Matt Hughes said said I don't like seeing women get hit and end up with fucked up faces but at the end its there choice.

What I don't like is one woman being so much better than every other woman. The only fighter that can look to even compete against Guyborg is Toughill and I don't think she can beat Guyborg. Fuji is an excellent grappler but she looks really small and I do think she would get KOed. Is Carano really one of the best female fighters? She is an average fighter who only gets so much attention because she is hot as hell. I mean she was in mount against Guyborg and just stood up. Maybe she doesn't like being on top (take note boys Laughing )
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:53 pm

The main problem is the skill gap between competition and the number of different weight divisions. Cyborg is pretty awesome at 145lbs. She probably cuts a lot of weight but that makes her very strong at that weight. She's also got a very strong build to her unlike say Carano who has a slighter build. Gina seems like she's always had problems making weight but I think this has more to do with preperation than anything else. There are lots of smaller skilled Japanese female fighters available but none of them should be fighting in the same weight class as Cyborg. Strikeforce should be looking at Europe and America for former female boxers who are out of working and looking for competition. I'm sure as the popularity of female fighters grows the level of competition will rise in line with more women entering the sport.

I have no problem with anybody taking up the sport. It take a lot of bottle and serious cajones to step into the cage or ring. I respect anyone that gives it a go, providing that they show some aggression. If the ladies want to fight and leave it all in the ring then I'm all for it.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:54 pm

I can think of two excellent reasons why Gina struggles to make weight......

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 1:16 am