THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

3 posters

Rob Broughton wins a heavyweight tournament

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Rob Broughton wins a heavyweight tournament Empty Rob Broughton wins a heavyweight tournament

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:18 pm

One of the lads on here had just talked to him in trainig, and there was rumors that he might have been the heavyweight Bisping claimed to have KO'd in trainig who was "considerabally bigger" and we hadnt realised he had a big tournament fight!

ZT Fight Night Heavyweights Collide

Featured Neil Wain, James "Glass Jaw" Thompson, Tengiz Tedoradze, Joe Vedepo (he was a Middleweight!), Former Britians Strongest man and WSM conpetitor Oli Thompson and too no hoppers as well as Broughton.

Rob Subbed Ex UFC fighter Neil Wain in the 2nd round

KO'd Ex Pride figher Glass Jaw in the 2nd round who had just KO'd Tengiz Tedoradze earlier that night (who holds a win over Broughton)

And UD'd Oli Thompson in the Final.

Did any of the English posters go to the event? Oli Thompson fought 3 times... He lost 2 Middleweight Joe Vedepo even KO'd him, How did he end up in the final... A bit old school Vale Tudo to have been TKO'd and allowed to fight in the same night! Was the a doctor in the house!

Anyone who half Enjoyed the Fat Doormen of Cage Rage knocking each other about would have probabally enjoyed this!

Ive only see 1 Highlight Video shot on a Mobile by the look of it Laughing

Boughton beat an ex UFC heavy and an ex Pride Heavy as well as holding career wins over Ex UFC fighter Neil Grove, ex Pride heavy Butterbean, Anyone see UFC giving him a chance if he is in Bispings/Rampages/Kongos camp. He must be a wolfslair fighter? But he is listed everywhere as 280lbs.. he would have to sort that, he hasnt kept in shape as English MMA doesnt do upper weight limits.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Rob Broughton wins a heavyweight tournament Empty Re: Rob Broughton wins a heavyweight tournament

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:03 pm

Theres the HL Video. Shame the view of the Thompson fight isnt better, the finish looked like Daleys last fininsh they both threw and landed a hook with very different outcomes!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Rob Broughton wins a heavyweight tournament Empty Re: Rob Broughton wins a heavyweight tournament

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:52 pm

Where was this event held?

Does anyone know if there are ever any MMA events held in Brighton or nearby?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:57 pm

was in Hove, East Sussex.... no Idea where that is... I know its England and thats were my Geography fails me! Laughing Wouldnt have minded seeing it if I was over there.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:35 pm

Are you serious!? Fuck! That's really close to me! Like fifteen miles at the very most! If i'd known i'd have gone to it. Where was the MMA Calender when i needed it?? HAHA!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:42 pm

Just looking at the website for the event, the winner got 10k and everybody else got nothing.
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:01 pm

I saw it advertised ages ago and thought it was being hosted in London. I'm so glad I didn't buy those tickets now!

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if he's managed to trim down a bit as he's been competing in the M1 Challenge series, so I bet he at least makes the 265lbs limit of heavy weight now. He's put together a good run of wins too, so it wouldn't surprise me if M1 Global try and push him on to a Strikeforce card sometime in the future (I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Lashley).
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:08 pm

Makes far more sence as a step up in tallent for LAshley, having said that I think the Rogers fight is winnable for Lashley...

The Commentators said that Rogers might fight Bigfoot! Id love to see that happen, SF's heavyweight devision isnt very deep and Rogers vs Lashley leaves Bigfoot without a decent opponent as Fedor is fighting Werdum and Overeem can fight in the US for a bit.
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:58 pm

Just as a follow up, I mentioned this to a friend of mine who had also been interested in attending the event. The original advert said that the tournament prize was £15,000 and not £10,000. Also, it was advertised at being held at the HMV Forum in London, not Hove. Finally, they had advertised standing "seats" as their cheapest tickets. All of this slightly smacks of an event being badly organised from start to finish.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:41 pm

It was meant to be held in London but they couldn't get clearance for the number of people they wanted to have at the event. So they decided to move it to Hove where the promoter lives and where the gym that was organizing the event is. This was to reduce costs. The new venue they got holds as many people as they were being allowed to have in London which meant that whilst they kept cost down they did have to lower the price money.

Well, that's the official story that i got in response to an email i sent enquiring as to why the event wasn't advertised and why it had been moved from London. They are going to hold a LHW event in March apparently. With MW, WW and LW tournaments to follow.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 9:18 pm