The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

Best Heavyweight run in the UFC?

rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Best Heavyweight run in the UFC?

Post  rudeboyben84 on Fri May 11, 2012 11:27 pm

Junior Dos Santos!

Werdum
    Struve
    Crocop
    Yvel
    Gonzaga
    Nelson
    Carwin
    Cain

Thats the best Hw win streaks, what you guys think?

Cains 7 fight streak was close but not better. I honestly think right now Junior could be the best Hw UFC has ever had. (I know Nog may be all time better but he peaked in Pride and made his name there)

Coleman had a 6 fight Streak that included Severn and Frye,
    Arlovski and Frye also had 6 but hadn't the names to write home about.

Honesly I think its safe to say Junior now that he is champ and hitting his prime could be the best Heavy UFC has ever seen and if he beats Mir Id unquestionabally rank him UFC's number 1 Heavy of all time and on to the top 5 of all time in MMA.

----------------------

Im all of MMA, Fedor's Streak is going to be untouchable but Nog has a 13 fight streak of his own thats very impressive. Anyone see Junior managing to go another 5 fights unbeaten?

Crocop started his carrer 9 fights undefeated but 2 of those were draws, He has a 7 fight winning streak including Barnett, Randleman, Coleman and Aleks E. (stopping all the named guys in the 1st round)

Barnett hasnt had the same competition but is currently on an 8 fight spree, he has a previous 8 fight spree which included winning the UFC and Pancrase belts and defending the Pancrase one.... as well as a 10 fight streak on the start of his career!

-----------------------------

Junior is heading towards one of the best Unbeaten Runs at heavyweight full stop, his name is already in the history books IMO, Its now all about what legends he can surpass if he keeps going
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Re: Best Heavyweight run in the UFC?

Post  rudeboyben84 on Sat May 12, 2012 1:04 am

I think Juniors streak puts him right behind Anderson and GSP, all 3 are on the Longest Undefeated Streaks their devision has ever seen in the UFC.

People see Jones as the second coming because of the last couple of years but I dont think he has stepped away from his peers in the devision (in UFC) the way the others have. Machida went on an 8 fight streak in the UFC that had...

Shogun
    Rashad
    T.Silva
    Tito
    Soko (Top 5 ranked, 4-1 had just KO'd Arona and Nog back to back)
    Nakamura (top 15, had been 6th ranked Hw the year before though)
    David Heath (Then 9-0)
    Sam Hoger (Coming off SD to Evans)

Liddell matched Bones run with 7.... but he did it twice!

Still though a win over Hendo for Bones and we're looking at from Hw right down to Mw all the champs having the longers undefeated runs in their weight class in UFC history.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete on Sat May 12, 2012 5:20 pm

You could certainly be right about JDS, but personally, I still think that Cain will become a better HW, as long as he can cope mentally with the loss. I don't think a win against Mir proves a huge amount now, as he's fallen short of the very best a few times. Would like to see him face Werdum and then winner of Cain/Big foot.

With regards to Jones, as much as I don't like his 'personality', there is little doubt he has the potential to be a GOAT, I think it's more the manner and speed of his run, than the numbers.
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Sat May 12, 2012 5:38 pm

You still have a lot of faith in Cain, the people who called him to be champ originally are really sticking by him. Bigfoot is putting on a hell of a camp for him. He is wrestling with a guy who beat Cormier 3/3 times and Striking with Hunt... Im actually far more looking forward to Cain/Bigfoot than I was Cain/Mir

I dont know what UFC will do with Werdum, a win over Russow on your return to UFC might not earn you a title shot... Id say he diserves it myself but because UFC fans saw him leaving after Junior put a beating on him it would have to be a hell of a performance for them to give the shot to him next. Id say more people will want to see a Cain rematch 1st even though he lost just as badly as Werdum.

What Jones is doing now is unmatched, If he beats Hendo he will be on his way to having as good as year as he did in 2011. Im really hoping for Hendo beyond Belief. I want Hendo to beat Jones more than I want Wanderlei to beat Belfort id say!
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete on Sat May 12, 2012 5:46 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:You still have a lot of faith in Cain, the people who called him to be champ originally are really sticking by him. Bigfoot is putting on a hell of a camp for him. He is wrestling with a guy who beat Cormier 3/3 times and Striking with Hunt... Im actually far more looking forward to Cain/Bigfoot than I was Cain/Mir

I dont know what UFC will do with Werdum, a win over Russow on your return to UFC might not earn you a title shot... Id say he diserves it myself but because UFC fans saw him leaving after Junior put a beating on him it would have to be a hell of a performance for them to give the shot to him next. Id say more people will want to see a Cain rematch 1st even though he lost just as badly as Werdum.

What Jones is doing now is unmatched, If he beats Hendo he will be on his way to having as good as year as he did in 2011. Im really hoping for Hendo beyond Belief. I want Hendo to beat Jones more than I want Wanderlei to beat Belfort id say!

Completely agree with Cain/Big Foot, however I'm a little sad that I can't see Mir battered into oblivion from Cain. Bigfoot is a far more difficult fight for him IMO, but I see it as a winnable fight, I think that Cain will be too quick for him. As much as I'd love to see Hendo beat Jones, I cannot see him laying a glove on him TBH, would be a wonderful story though wouldn't it?
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Sat May 12, 2012 6:01 pm

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:
    rudeboyben84 wrote:You still have a lot of faith in Cain, the people who called him to be champ originally are really sticking by him. Bigfoot is putting on a hell of a camp for him. He is wrestling with a guy who beat Cormier 3/3 times and Striking with Hunt... Im actually far more looking forward to Cain/Bigfoot than I was Cain/Mir

Completely agree with Cain/Big Foot, however I'm a little sad that I can't see Mir battered into oblivion from Cain. Bigfoot is a far more difficult fight for him IMO, but I see it as a winnable fight, I think that Cain will be too quick for him. As much as I'd love to see Hendo beat Jones, I cannot see him laying a glove on him TBH, would be a wonderful story though wouldn't it?

I know mate, I think they would make a movie about him if he beat Jones! Laughing Tell me this, who do you see as a bigger underdog... Wand to Belfort or Hendo to Bones.

Bigfoot is in the shape of his career for this one, but I agree the speed is probabally going to be a factor, Bigfoot isnt hard to his and against Cormier got wabbled even by glancing blows... I cant see him winning but I can see him being more competitive that he was against Cormier. Judging by that Pic becide Skinny hunt were going to see him in the best shape of his career... I think that could see him through the 1st round anyway! Laughing

Overeem only got 9 months, Makes me wonder if we will get the title shot when he comes back and they could make Cain fight Werdum?
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete on Sat May 12, 2012 6:07 pm

For me, Wandy is a far bigger underdog. I just don't think he has sufficient left in the locker. 3 wins in 7 in UFC, does not make a good record, especially when you consider the opposition, Hendo always looks dangerous, and there is always the chance that a big right hand could connect. I see Jones winning with ease, but, there is always that chance. Wandy, I just don't see him having anything to trouble Vitor. Pity, cos I always liked Wandy's style, just think that he's taken too much punishment over the years.

I wouldn't be averse to Overoid getting a title shot before Cain, I think that Big Foot, then Werdum, and then hopefully a title shot, would be about right. You think JDS would take Overoid?
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 on Sat May 12, 2012 6:15 pm

Wand to Belfort or Hendo to Jones.

For me Hendo is more of an underdog. I think Wandi has a better chance of beating Belfort than Hendo does beating Jones. The only way they can win each fight and that is landing a big bomb. They both have a decent chance at doing it as anything can happen in that cage, cant see it happening though.
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Sat May 12, 2012 6:30 pm

Yeah the more I think about it the more I think Junior would have won. Overeems boxing isnt great, his hands arent his strongest point (see Werdum fight!) and he isnt the type to Chop someone down with Leg kicks or fire Headkicks often. If this was fought as Striking range I reckon he gets knocked out. I dont think Overeem would grapple with him (though he did with Hunt) but I could see something like when Sergei beat him repeating its self. Ive a lot of faith in Juniors abilities striking wise and I dont ever remember seeing a strike trouble him.

What about yourself?

Wand/Hendo underdog thing, Hendo is being given a punchers chance by most, Wandy isnt given any hope by most. Suppose id agree with the majority here too. I just cant get the Leben fight out of my head, I know that he isnt going to come out guns blazing, he is going to try and mix things up, I wonder how his grappling stacks up to Vitors these days? It wouldnt be unthinkable for Wand to shoot on him and hope to gas him grappling for a round, thats how I see Wand winning if he does grapple and then take Vitor out in the 2nd or 3rd where Vitor isnt comfortable. He hasnt seen more than a round of MMA since 2008. Relying on Wand to outgrapple someone is clutching at straws I know! Laughing but stranger things have happened I suppose.

They look a weight class apart though. I wonder if he has bulked down a little too much? Maby its because he wants to be close to the Mw limit to make the cut easier at his age but I cant help but feel he has a bit less stopping power these days.

Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete on Sat May 12, 2012 6:41 pm

With regards to Overoid and JDS, I would give Overoid a very decent chance. I see Overoid wanting to grapple with JDS, pressing him against the cage, and then trying to take it to the floor. I don't think he's win a stand up battle, JDS's striking is just that bit better than his. His main advantage would surely be his size, with JDS's major advantage being speed and his boxing. Would be a very interesting match up IMO, but, I would probably have a few quid on Overoid (unless the bookies made him favourite).

With regards to Wandy, I think you're probably right about the trimming down, but, I think that regardless of his size, the main issue is age and his chin. I actually think that he will come out banging, I don't think that he really knows how to fight any different, I can see him getting tagged, midway through first round and getting sparked. You been watching the TUF Brazil show at all? Wandy has come across very naive, but, other than that, and the ridiculous amount of blatent advertising, I think it's been a relatively decent show......Still cannot understand a word of what Wandy says (even with the subtitles).
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd on Sat May 12, 2012 8:40 pm

I really like Dos Santos, and he has the best run ever in UFC, but to me he is one dimensional until proven otherwise!!
    I want to see rematches with Werdum and Cain, and of course everyone wants to see him fight Overeem.
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Sat May 12, 2012 8:46 pm

Heres hoping Overeem vs Junior is up next I still think its the Heavyweight fight people want to see. Im thinking Overeem might have really screwed himself over though. Cormier vs Barnett is next weekend. The winner of that could potentially have this last fight they are supposed to have (Which I think is unlikely because aparently they are actually the only 2 left under contract) in 4 months and be ready to get their title shot at the start of 2013.

Im thinking he wont come back as number 1 contender.

Watched a bit of TUF brazil, got bored of TUF to be honest, I just cant see anyone coming off it becoming a Rashad Evans or a Forrest Griffin... the level of fighters just seems low like ill spend hours watching these guys who the winner might be a prelim kinda fighter!

Im planning on just watching the fights of the finalists before the Finale of the other US TUF but ive been watching a bit of the Brazil one. Its been a good season actually, few kids who looks straight out of City of God swinging like their lives depend on it. Also no Wrestlers as its in Brazil is nice!

rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Sat May 12, 2012 8:50 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:I really like Dos Santos, and he has the best run ever in UFC, but to me he is one dimensional until proven otherwise!!
    I want to see rematches with Werdum and Cain, and of course everyone wants to see him fight Overeem.

I dont think he us quite a James Toney! Laughing His TDD is great, When Dana compared him to Liddell he hit the nail on the head I think. All the guy needs is a great TDD and a great Scramble when it hits the matt and he can fight his game. I think his main game of throwing hands is so good it forces people into his game, its like when Maia was standing with Anderson... people who know they shouldnt somehow end up boxing him.

Who you thinks up next with Overeem being out for 9 months? or can you see Junior waiting about for him?
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho on Sun May 13, 2012 10:30 am

Best HW run in the UFC? Mark Hunt has just started it.... drunken drunken drunken drunken cheers cheers cheers
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Sun May 13, 2012 10:46 pm

Pfffft.

Bow down bitches.

Even when i lose I win. Undefeated baby. 5 time UFC Champ. Coming back for my belt.......after I finish my Big Mac.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:13 am