THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+7
Anfields5thKing
redmeanie77
payneNglory1
Once Mohawked Pete
honours_t
hendos_right_hook
ChelseaQuinsfan
11 posters

Spoilers Diaz vs Zaromskis fight

ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Spoilers Diaz vs Zaromskis fight Empty Spoilers Diaz vs Zaromskis fight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:34 pm

I just watched the event and it was a pretty good card that showed us some potentiolly new stars.

Only one important fight on the Prelims which was Heiron vs Riggs. I couldn't watch it (Had no luck with the EA stream) but Hieron won a UD never the less. He is probably one of the most improved fighters and this was a big win that probably gets him a title shot now. This really should have been a main card fight.

Main card:

Lashley vs Simms

Lashley looked good again against someone who is probably a stepdown from Bob Sapp. Still, you can only beat what's infront of you and Lashley dominated him, stoppage was possibly a little early but I think it was coming and Simms doesn't really have a case. Good performance from Lashley, hopefully we see him fight some tougher opponents now, I want to see Del Rosario vs Lashley.

Manhoef vs Lawler
    Shocked

Nagy vs Walker

Is Walker really 47 years old? He looked really good, he was the superior athelte clearly and beat Nagy everywhere. He showed good striking, good wrestling and a good ground game, for his first fight he looked really good. It has to be said that Nagy looked awful but a good all round performance from Walker, his strength is incredible. The finish was bizarre it was body shots but I suppose thats what happens when you don't defend yourself. Well done Walker, he deserves a ton of respect for that but at his age its hard to pick opponents for him. Fuck it, Fedor vs Walker next Laughing

Cyborg vs Coenen

Female Wandy reigns supreme.

Diaz vs Whitemare

What can you say really? It was a really exciting fight but it finished quickly because Diaz was just on another league. Diaz throws about 100 punches a round, he doesn't have power like some one like Daley but he hits you so much it just takes a jab to put away, the shot that put Whitemare away didn't look that powerful. I actually though Zaromskis wa going to finish Diaz after he dropped him, that was a good punch. I feel a little sorry for Whitemare, that was a really tough fight for him and Diaz continues to improve. I think outside GSP and Alves, possibly Fitch Diaz is the best WW. Unfortunatley who does he have to fight now. Hieron is next but then who? Maybe Le after that, what a fight that would be.

Zaromskis should recover, back to Japan for now to defend his DREAM belt. I think Chonan or Gono if he goes should get the next shot at him.

Good card at the end, A one sided mauling, A massive upset, a freak of nature, female Wandy and a war to finish, good job Strikeforce.

Im sure we will see a few fights to be made:

Lashley vs Shane
    Lawler vs Jacare
    Lindland vs Manhoef
    Simms vs Nagy Laughing
    Walker vs ??
    Diaz vs Hieron
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Spoilers Diaz vs Zaromskis fight Empty Re: Spoilers Diaz vs Zaromskis fight

Post  hendos_right_hook Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:44 pm

Great card, good variety in the fights. Lashley's GnP was brutal, hadn't really seen him fight before last night, but I was really impressed.

Feel sorry for Whitemare, always and still rated him as one of my favorite fighters, and hope he can bounce back.

Hershel Walker is a heavyweight right, anyone else like to see him and Lashley go at it?
    honours_t
    honours_t
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  honours_t Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:29 pm

all in all, great card, lashley looked impressive but still slightly ponderous, against a truly explosive fighter he will get found out. good control of simms when he got him down, was only a matter of time really.

Lawler always used to have a habit of coming up with the goods when they were needed, some of his early UFC fights show he was a man for the moment, and he certainly took his. Mahhoef left his jawline floating, and Lawler gratefully obliged it with a sweet right and finished him on the ground with a sneaky left. Still, his leg is gonna be absolute fucking agony today!

Diaz is a scary prospect for anyone at WW. His intensity is simliar to that of Diego Sanchez, but his punches come from awkward angles and although they arent one punch ko strikes, he overwhelms fighters with volume and accuracy. Great fight, think Zaromskis can count himself a bit unlucky that he didnt get too much opportunity to take advantage of his striking game too much, but can have no complaints about the result. Diaz bumrushed him and gave him a whooping. Very impressive! And his chin seems to get more solid as he gets older, he took some meaty licks and still threw his combinations.

The main event made it worth staying up so late, looking forward to the next Strikeforce offering
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:37 pm

Lashley looked okay, but really needs to step up a level if he's to be taken seriously. There was something on Sherdog, stating that he was looking for a title fight, although cannot get access to the video in this country for some reason.

Diaz looked very impressive, although a lot of that was down to the total lack of defence from Zaromskis.

Cyborg/Coenen was ridiculously good. I've never really seen a problem with womens MMA, as long as the fighters have skills. For me, that was a candidate for FOTN, it had everything. Cyborg was very aggressive, but Coenen showed great heart and was constantly looking to catch a sub. Curious as to whether it has changed anyones impression of the Womens game?

Feel for Manhoef as well. He absolutely destroyed Lawlor, but left his chin hanging, really did not see the fight ending like that.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:40 pm

I'm just about OK with women's MMA, as long as their not pretty, then I just get upset when they get punched.
    honours_t
    honours_t
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  honours_t Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:50 pm

hendos_right_hook wrote:I'm just about OK with women's MMA, as long as their not pretty, then I just get upset when they get punched.

fight sounds good, never watched a womens mma fight, sounds like this might be the one to watch!

i take it you dont fancy either hendo? lol
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:04 pm

Cyborg is FIT Laughing
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:20 pm

Apparantley Heiron might be overlooked again for a title shot

Following their respective wins at Saturday's "Strikeforce: Miami" event, newly crowned welterweight champion Nick Diaz and top contender Jay Hieron would seem logical opponents for an upcoming card.

However, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker isn't sure Hieron deserves the title shot, and Diaz said he'd rather fight big-name fighters – not "undercard fighters" such as Hieron.

And perhaps the biggest stumbling block of all? Hieron, who signed with Strikeforce in 2009 primarily because he was promised a title shot, has fulfilled the terms of the contract and now needs a new deal.

Talk to Diaz, Hieron and Coker, and you get the feeling none of them feels the bout is imminent.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), in fact, did talk to all the parties following "Strikeforce: Miami" at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla., where Diaz (21-7 MMA, 3-0 SF) defeated DREAM champ Marius Zaromskis in the Showtime-televised main event. Hieron (19-4 MMA, 2-0 SF), meanwhile, defeated fellow UFC vet Joe Riggs in a bout relegated to the night's preliminary card (and streamed – rather poorly – at EASportsMMA.com).

What about Diaz vs. Hieron?

Many in the industry, of course, were surprised Diaz vs. Hieron wasn't booked in the first place. The fight was supposed to take place in August, but Diaz skipped a mandatory pre-fight drug test and wasn't licensed, and Hieron instead fought – and defeated – "The Ultimate Fighter 7" finalist Jesse Taylor. Hieron then thought the Diaz fight would happen at a November event that aired on CBS, but it, too, never materialized.

So when their schedules aligned for this weekend's event, why wasn't the fight booked for the Florida show?

It depends whom you're asking. Hieron said he turned downed a proposed fight with Zaramoskis because he thought it would put pressure on Diaz to accept their long-awaited matchup. Instead, Strikeforce officials booked Diaz vs. Zaromskis for the night's championship headliner. Hieron vs. Riggs, meanwhile, slipped down the lineup and didn't even get main-card billing.

"The case with Zaromskis was that we (Hieron and his agent) didn't want to fight him because we thought we'd get Diaz if we threw that fight off," Hieron said. "So we kept saying no to that fight, hoping they'd go back and make Diaz fight us. But it didn't happen. That's the situation."

And though Hieron stressed the importance of patience prior to the Riggs win, he's making no secret that he now wants a shot at Diaz.

"Man, I've done everything they've asked me," Hieron said. "I came in and I fought Taylor. I came in tonight, and I fought Joe Riggs. ... The title shot should definitely be mine right now. I did everything they asked."

So why didn't Strikeforce simply book Diaz vs. Hieron for the Florida card? Coker said it was an internal decision and that many factors were involved. Hieron's manager, Ken Pavia, thinks Showtime officials may have nixed the bout and pushed for the Zaromskis bout. Diaz said he simply fights whomever they put in front of him.

Hieron, though, places the blame squarely on the champ's shoulders.

"Diaz didn't want to fight me," Hieron said. "That's the only reason I can think of. He didn't say that, but the fight was presented three times on the table. We never fought. I signed the contract every time. I came to fight. Fives days out, he didn't go to take his drug test and this and that. Then the next time on the (November) CBS show, we we were scheduled to fight, and Diaz turned up missing. He's on a milk carton. 'Where' Diaz at?' I don't know.

"That just gives me the impression that he didn't want to fight me. Then he's fighting Zaramoskis on this card. Zaramoskis is a tough guy, but America doesn't know Zaramoskis. Nobody knows him out here."

Diaz, though, claimed the same can be said of Hieron.

"I'd rather fight someone that's a little more important than Jay Hieron," Diaz said. "His fight wasn't even on the main card. Why am I going to fight him when no one saw [his fight]? I don't even know who he is."

Contract demands

With Hieron obviously feeling miffed by the lack of a title shot and his preliminary-card placement – "Me and Joe Riggs, we've both proven ourselves in this sport, and we shouldn't be on an undercard," he said – this round of negotiations could be a little more tricky.

Hieron signed with Strikeforce last year, and he ultimately turned down a deal a similar deal with the UFC, where he previously fought and had hoped to someday return.

So why did he choose Strikeforce over the UFC?

"He came here to fight Diaz," Pavia said. "That's why he signed with Strikeforce. That's the reason he's here. That's the fight he's been wanting."

And both Hieron and Pavia said they're going to make sure a new deal would guarantee not only the title fight but spots on televised cards.

"I [better be] on TV and everything," Hieron said of his contract demands. "I'm losing money being on the undercard. I'm not an undercard fighter."

That title fight, though, isn't necessarily a lock. Following Saturday's event, Coker said he isn't sure Hieron will be first in line for a shot at Diaz's title. Hieron was rocked in the fight, and though he persevered for the convincing win, he went to a decision for the third time in four fights. Coker said he'll have to go back and re-watch Hieron's fight before deciding what to do. But for now, Coker thinks DREAM fighter Hayato "Mach" Sakurai (35-10-2 MMA, 0-0 SF), who could join Strikeforce thanks to the fruitful Strikeforce-DREAM alliance, may get the next shot.

Hieron, though, remains optimistic he'll eventually get his fight with Diaz.

"We'll make that fight happen," Hieron said. "The longer we wait, the juicer it gets. The bigger it'll be. And hopefully they'll actually put me on TV and make it even juicier."

Credit: MMAJUNKIE

That would be good except who else is there? If its not him then Diaz should fight Hornbuckle for the title and Gono should fight Heiron for the number one contender spot.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:35 pm

I wasn't impressed with Lashley but he got the job done,I think he needs about 4-5 more fights before he steps up to fight one of the bigger names in Strikeforce.(and about 20 fights away from challenging Fedor)

Robbie pulled off the biggest comeback shock in MMA,I would say,and like I said on Chat box last night,made Scott Smiths comeback KO's look average.Robbie got absolutely schooled the whole fight,and the gulf in class between the two fighters was huge,Robbie looked like he was seconds away from quitting because of the beating his legs and body were taking,before he closed his eyes anbd threw a haymaker that connected flush and then followed up with two crisp shots to finish it.There was only one fighter that came away from that fight looking like a high level MW and thats not Robbie.

But every cloud has a silver lining,Meanie lost his trump on this fight and I've still got mine to play Twisted Evil

I'm so glad for Herschal,he seems such a genuine nice guy(publicity or not,it is a great thing he did,to donate his winnings to charity) and it's such a shame he didn't get into MMA alot earlier,when he would have had so much more to offer the sport.
    He's got skills and his cardio is fantastic for a guy of his age,though I can't get carried away with his performance because to be fair,if he was in against a guy with any reasonable level of Jits,they would of been taking Herschals leg home with them during that first rd.Nagy was awful,I've seen plenty of fighters on amature MMA cards that I think would beat Nagy.
    though saying all that with all the pressure Herschal had on his shoulders and this being his first fight,I think he did brilliantly and I hope he can get a few more fights and wins in before he is done.

I agree with Pete on the next one,the women put on FOTN for me,it was a great fight.If two people have that level of skills,be it man or woman then they should be able to show it off and I want to watch it.I can't wait to see either of these fighters fight again.
    Cyborg is a beast,she is the perfect version of a female Chute box fighter,but what was great for me was seeing her fight a girl who was probably slightly bigger than herself instead of some of her previous fights when she was just so much bigger than her opponents and has been able to dominate them easily.
    Coenens skills on the deck and her heart were great to watch and I'll tell you what,I would prefer to watch her fight than your likes of Nagy and Sims.
    I just hope the talent is deep enough in the womens division so that they can keep putting on competitive fights.

Come on guys get out of your caves and appreciate the skills that are on show.

Loved the Diaz fight also,he just pushes such a crazy pace to a fight.This as it turned out was a mismatch in my eyes,Diaz basicly spanked Zaromskis from start to finish but got caught by one good shot,to which he recovered quickly and got back to the beating he was dishing out.Strikeforce need to find some worthy opponents for him.He is deffinately up there with the best WW's in the world,I just hope he gets to fight some of them.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:42 pm

"But every cloud has a silver lining,Meanie lost his trump on this fight and I've still got mine to play"

I still get some points for picking round/method, right? Neutral
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:43 pm

No mate you only get those pts if you pick the correct winner
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:52 pm

Damn you Manhoef Mad
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:09 pm

Redmeanie

---------winner----------Method----------Round

Diaz------20------------0---------------0 Double PTS main event

Cyborg-----10--------------5---------------0

Melvin------0--------------0---------------0(failed trump)

herschal----10-------------0---------------5

Lashley-----10-------------5---------------5

Riggs-------0--------------0---------------0

total 70 pts

PayneNglory

Diaz--------20------------10----------------0

cyborg------10------------5----------------0

Malvin-------0------------0----------------0

hershcal-----10-----------5----------------0

Lashley------10-----------5----------------5

riggs--------0------------0----------------0

total 80 pts(and a trump still to play)

Last edited by payneNglory1 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot about double pts in main event)
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:25 pm

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:27 pm

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:28 pm

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:01 pm

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:17 pm

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:23 pm

Sims is a fucking idiot! The ref only warned Lashley about hitting the back of the head. I think Sims should just go away!

On the night:

Lashley looked OK. Sims is a bum. He can be funny but he's a bum, Lashley needs to step up in competition.

Melvin looked great. He battered Lawlor. Made him look really bad. Then he left his chin hanging. Shame.

Herschal looked great. Still really green. Needs to work on being less stiff but delighted for him getting the win.

Cyborg-Coenan was FIGHT OF THE NIGHT! I don't care who you are or what your thoughts on womens MMA are. WATCH THIS FUCKING FIGHT AND SHOW RESPECT!! Incredible Cyborg is just a machine. She got caught with some big shots and just walked through them!!! Coenan is one tough lady. Much respect. Here's to seeing more fights like that in womens MMA.

Nick Diaz just planted himself firmly back on favourite fighters list. I used to like Nick. I met a few times at Cesar Gracie's gym and thought he was a nice kid. Then he started acting the clown and messing about. Then he had the nerve to beat The Legend! But how can you not like watching him fight?? He just goes from bell to bell! Incredible output of punches. I'd give him the best chance of beating GSP of anyone at 170 to be honest. His boxing is excellent, especially his bodyshots, his BJJ is incredible and he's got long limbs and flexibility which make it hard for wrestlers to just lie on top of him. If Nick keeps his head on straight he can become a top P4P fighter.

One other thing, Dana White is a pathetic prick. He tried to counter-program again last night by having UFC 107 played on Spike. When will people realize this guy is bad for MMA??
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:28 pm

I can't find the Cyborg-Coenan,Riggs-Heiron fights to post nor any of the undercards,if anybody has any luck please post them.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:08 am

Diaz was in "another league" purely because of his reach advantage.

all the big exchanges Mariusz punches were short and Diaz was landing.

Walker was impressive but showed he is an athlete not a fighter by failing to properly finish that tomato can.

dana is a prick, nice one by GSP showing up on camera at a Sf event lol.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:18 am

He got a great reception!

Can't imagine Dana will be too happy. On twitter lots of UFC fighters were commenting on Strikeforce and then Rogan commented on it. All positive things. But Dana and Arianny Celeste were pushing the "UFC 107 on Spike tonight and 10pm. MMA's greatest fighters.........blah blah blah"

Are you seriously saying that all Diaz had was reach? He mauled Zaromskis up against the cage and battered him without about 30 solid knees and it's not like his punches were all straight jabs. He was standing more than close enough for Zaromskis to land his punches. But it was the speed and sheer volume of punches that won him the fight.

Agree on Walker. That Nagy guy might be the worst fighter ever. But still. Walker is 47!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:26 am

Diaz's striking is amazing, he is one of the best at BJJ in his weight class and one of the best strikes. That and his size make him such a figher... I think your right Anfield he could be the man to beat GSP if they fought. Condisering he spent a minute or 2 damaging Whitemares knee he still managed to connect with 70 punches!

Beautifull display of Striking, That fight was maby more enjoyable that Manhoef vs Lalwer! Great card! Diaz is a Legend, Personality aside he has put on some of the best fights in recent times... People mentioned Whitemate as a thrreat to GSP after the Dream tournament... Diaz destroyed him, Smith Just beat Cung Le, Diaz Destroyed him, Frank Shamrock wasnt considered shot untill Diaz dominated him! I think he could be top p4p, despite not ranking top of his own weight class for going between 3 weights and winning he should be a contender for the p4p lists.

He lost on cuts to Noons, and its a shame Noons is a Lw as he probabally wont avenge that loss, before that his losses in the UFC to Sherk etc.. were when he didnt have the standup skills.

Unbelievable performance.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:36 am

Diaz was very young when he was in the UFC. He's still young now. A lot of his UFC losses were down to a lack of experience.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:48 am

Yeah mate and they werent bad losses, Sherk, Karo etc.. were decisions and they were top ranked when he was a kid.

I also wonder if Diaz will have a crack at the 185lbs belt if Hendo beat Shields? I think he could go between decisions, maby a fight with Lawler?

Were do you think Lawler stands in terms of a shot... I think him vs Jacare would make sence for the number 1 contender. Frank Shamrock said he thinks Lawler is ahead in terms of a title shot but I think he needs to beat Jacare.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:11 am