THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
George_Louis_Costanza@who
great_ginger_10
ChelseaQuinsfan
Paddyjock
8 posters

MATT HUGHES SIGNS NEW UFC CONTRACT

Paddyjock
    Paddyjock
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

MATT HUGHES SIGNS NEW UFC CONTRACT Empty MATT HUGHES SIGNS NEW UFC CONTRACT

Post  Paddyjock Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:37 pm

Looks like former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes (43-7) — much like fellow elder statesmen Tito Ortiz and Randy Couture — has just signed a multi-fight UFC contract that will likely insure he finishes his career inside the Octagon before hanging up the gloves once and for all.

Following his unanimous decision win over Matt Serra at UFC 98: “Evans vs. Machida,” the future Hall of Famer revealed his desire to continue fighting, however it’s still unclear at this time where the 35-year-old veteran fits in the grand scheme of things.

From Hughes’ official blog :

“Last week I went out to Vegas and I signed a multi-fight deal with the UFC, which is much like my last contract. I also brought up the fact that I wanted to do a hunting show and they thought that would be a good thing. They still have to find out who, where and when my next fight will be and I will try to post that info ASAP. Nothing is decided yet, so anything you might be reading on the internet right now is just rumors and speculation. However, one name the UFC did bring up is a person I’ve never fought before.”

While it may still be too early to speculate when and where Hughes will make his first appearance, it’s not unfair to wonder if his old school smothering “ground and pound” approach to competition is going to cut it against younger, faster and more versatile talents such as Carlos Condit, Martin Kampmann and Mike Swick, among others.

No question Mr. Country Breakfast has an irrefutable legacy inside the Octagon, but he’s a mediocre 3-3 since manhandling Royce Gracie at UFC 60: “Hughes vs. Gracie” way back in May of 2006.

Hughes may not be on the verge of another title run, but it will be interesting to see if this old dog can learn some new tricks and keep up with the new generation of mixed martial arts competitors. Perhaps the H.I.T. Squad founder still has a few tricks up his sleeve?
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

MATT HUGHES SIGNS NEW UFC CONTRACT Empty Re: MATT HUGHES SIGNS NEW UFC CONTRACT

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:06 am

Good to hear, I think he still has a bit left in him. A wonderful fighter in his day and proved he still has something left with a win over Serra. I don't want him to fight younger fighters like Alves, Fitch or GSP anymore but there are still some exciting fights left. Maybe a match against Hardy next?
    great_ginger_10
    great_ginger_10
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  great_ginger_10 Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:39 am

He has kind of fallen into the category of a 'measuring stick' fighter. People go against him to see if they are ready for the next step up in competition. He is still good but his style and lack of ability to adapt leaves him very vulnerable to well rounded fighters, as nearly all the next generation of fighters are. That being said no one wants to have Hughes on top of you punching you.
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:56 am

Interesting news as Matt has been heavily indicating his time in MMA was coming to an end for almost 2 years.

Since Superman has resigned with the UFC and no opponent scheduled i think it is very likely we will see a 3rd fight.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:08 pm

Yeah I think a Hallman fight would do nicely, Or perhaps some ranked opponent, Dan Hardy is top 10 now? Why not a fight with him? Hell even Marcus Davis? No one would object to seeing him fight a slightly lower ranked guy I reckon. He could always fight the winner of the Trigg vs Kos fight? There are a few good fights left for Hughes, and while still 1 dimentinal he still poses a huge threat to the lower ranked guys..

I dont see him winning the title again but who cares, Its good that legends like him and Randy will finish their careers in the UFC.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:53 pm

Great news on a purely selfish level. Hughes has been my favourie fighter ever since that ridiculous slam against Newton. But, you have to ask whether he has much left, or whether we are going to witness another legend decline, al la Chuck. Saying that, I'd love to see Hughes vs either Hardy or Davies as you suggest Ben. Do you see him having as having much left Ben?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:49 am

Yeah pete why not... Hughes is a big favorite with my family, I think he still has a few good fights in him. He is still a physical spesimin and a great wrestler. Alves came in heavy and made Hughes look bad. GSP is excusable but he has a won over him. Serra was a solid to 10 guy and while he didnt look his best he still won so he can hang with top 10 guys.

There are great fights for him still. Im sure he is itching to beat Hallman down, Any of these guys Hardy, Davies, Parisyan, Koscheck, Almedia is cutting to Welter, Rumble Johnson, Paulo Thiago etc.. there are plenty of passible matches that he would be a favorite to win.

I think following Tito's example and Joining a Roaches Wildcard gym would do wonders for him, If Hughes could evolve his game even a little bit at this late stage I think he could still be a top guy at Welter.. This is probabally a stretch but I wouldnt totally rule out him doing what GSP didn and controlling Fitch on the ground... I doubt he will suddenly pick up any new techniques but with his strength and wrestling I think he can still stay relevant and hang with top 10 guys for a few years yet
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:58 am

Paddyjock wrote:

I also brought up the fact that I wanted to do a hunting show

Surely Timmeh will have some involvement!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:05 pm

Hughes is in no way competitive in this division anymore but he still puts bums in seats.
    He still has more than enough left in the tank to put on a good show but I think he needs to be fighting similar big names in the division who are in a similar position like Baroni,Lytle,Parisyan,Davies and maybe the winner of Koscheck and Trigg.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 2:03 pm