THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

5 posters

BJ Penn vs Matt Hughes in the works for UFC 123.

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

BJ Penn vs Matt Hughes in the works for UFC 123. Empty BJ Penn vs Matt Hughes in the works for UFC 123.

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:39 am

http://www.cagepotato.com/hughes-penn-iii-works-ufc-123

CagePotato has learned through a source close to the situation that discussions are underway between Matt Hughes, BJ Penn and the UFC to set up a rubbermatch between the pair at UFC 123 on November 20.

The event, which is scheduled for The Palace of Auburn Hills in the Detroit suburb of Auburn Hills, Michigan will feature a main card match-up between former UFC light heavyweight champions Lyoto Machida and Quinton Jackson.

We first learned of the possible match-up last week, and although we were unable to confirm with Hughes or Penn camps as of time of writing, both men have since confirmed that they could possibly compete in November, so it seems like the tip was legit and that the bout is in fact a plausibility.

Penn mentioned in a video blog that was posted on BJPenn.com last week that he was contacted by UFC president Dana White about a possibly taking on a "big fight" in November.

Hughes made a similar statement yesterday via his website, Matt-Hughes.com.

"...Dana called me yesterday and we had an interesting conversation about the November 20th UFC in Detroit," Hughes wrote. "More news about that down the road."

If it comes to fruition, the bout will mark Penn's first fight at welterweight since he lost by TKO to current UFC 170-pound kingpin Georges-St-Pierre nearly 22 months ago.

At the time, Penn held the UFC lightweight strap and moved up to face St-Pierre in an attempt to win both titles, but fell short. Prior to that, Penn hadn't fought at the heavier weight since he lost to then-UFC welterweight champion, Hughes by third round TKO at UFC 63 nearly three years ago.

The first time the pair met, it was Penn who had his hand raised.

After coaxing a tap from Hughes in the first round of their UFC 46 170-pound championship bout, Penn walked away from the promotion, vacating the title without ever defending it.

When he faced Hughes at UFC 63, Penn actually wore his UFC belt to the cage, insisting that he was still the welterweight title holder.

There will likely be no shortage of bad blood between these two heading into this fight if it happens.

Penn has spoken about his desire to eventually move back up to welterweight for quite some time and it seems that the back-to-back losses to Frankie Edgar may have been the impetus for the change of scenery.

We will have more as this story develops
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

BJ Penn vs Matt Hughes in the works for UFC 123. Empty Re: BJ Penn vs Matt Hughes in the works for UFC 123.

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:41 am

I'd be disapionted in him if he didn't concentrate on regaining his position of the number 1 LW in the world and concentrating on getting his belt back.

This fight proves nothing for either fighter.

I'd even prefer it if he left the UFC to seek fights with Melendez,Alverez and Aoki,than go in this direction.(don't get me wrong,i'll be one of the first ones to watch him rematch Hughes,but i'd personally hope he didn't yet,I want to see him regain his title before he starts looking at WW's again.)

I'd see this as more of him giving up on being the best LW in the world to be honest,he should be trying to regain his title,eliminating the rest of the compitition and,earning another shot at the title,it's not as if he is short of worthy challengers at LW is it.

he should stay in the mix at LW where he belongs,this fight proves nothing apart from he's trying to wind his career down and is looking for easy big money paydays to finish his career,which sucks to me,since I still think and beleive he is and can still be the best LW in the world,maybe i'm wrong and Edgar is just to good for him and it's got nothing to do with him not being mentaly or pyshically right in his last fight,it maybe just a case of,he has just met his match and he's on the shitty side of his career and he knows it.(I don't want to believe that,but it's getting to the stage after two loses and this posible decision,that it's getting hard not to believe it}

come on BJ,man up and get your belt back.

Last edited by payneNglory1 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cleaning up a drunken rant)
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

BJ Penn vs Matt Hughes in the works for UFC 123. Empty Re: BJ Penn vs Matt Hughes in the works for UFC 123.

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:21 pm

He'll need two fights minimum before he gets another title shot, so why not beat Hughes and then go after a top LW to get a title shot.

Hughes should motivate BJ anyway.

Anyone know how many fights BJ has left on his deal?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:56 pm

Do you think that would be fair to the other LW's if he has this fight and just one LW fight before he gets another shot?

What if he loses,does that mean he would still have to win two more LW fights after,before he should get another shot?

If thats the case,it will probably put him 3 fights away from getting the chance for him to get his belt back,and like you,i'm not sure,just how many fights he has left on his contract.

(I think I have to start getting out of the habit now of calling it,his belt,and start showing frankie abit more respect,for something he has obviously earned)
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:53 pm

Yeah i think if he loses to Hughes he'll need two more fight but as things stand i would rank the UFC's LW's like this:

1. Edgar
    2. Penn
    3. Maynard
    4. Florian
    5. George S

Let Penn fight Hughes and then give him George(assuming he beats Lauzon). Kenny will def need two more wins before he even gets considered(with the second one being the loser of Edgar vs Maynard).
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:17 pm

Ben put a link up,saying that the Hughes fight isn't happening and BJ has been offered a LW fight that he couldn't refuse,my guess is,it will be Gomi.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:14 pm

Hughes vs Penn is happening at 123, and BJ says he was offered the Florian rematch first, then thought about retirement.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/20710/penn-first-offered-florian-pondered-retirement-before-ufc-123-booking.mma
    mma-fan
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  mma-fan Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:47 pm

definitely interesting, hope this gets Penn back in the fighting mood, and he doesn't retire.
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:50 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    Anyone know how many fights BJ has left on his deal?

I was wondering that too. Could he be running his contract down with meaningless but "big money" fights before leaving and facing some of the best the rest of the world has to offer like Aoki, Melendez, Alvarez etc.

No facts to back any of this up but I know he has had his beefs with the UFC before

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 12:48 pm