THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
rudeboyben84
manschesthair_utd
Anfields5thKing
payneNglory1
redmeanie77
9 posters

Brock Lesnar Press Conference in Las Vegas Next Week !!!

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Brock Lesnar Press Conference in Las Vegas Next Week !!! Empty Brock Lesnar Press Conference in Las Vegas Next Week !!!

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:10 pm

UFC president Dana White just announced he and Brock Lesnar will hold a press conference early next week to update the MMA world on the heavyweight champion’s health status.

“I will have something for you guys by Tuesday or Wednesday [next week">,” White told Ariel Helwani of MMAFighting.com. “I’m probably going to hold a press conference in Las Vegas. Brock Lesnar will be there.”
    As for what the topics of discussion will be, White remained mum on the matter – pre Team Lesnar’s request.
    “I don’t know if it’s good news or bad news, it’s just news,” White coyly stated.

Considering Lesnar hasn’t said jack since falling ill in early November, the fact he’s ready to face the public means significant information should come to light.

Although recent reports from Lesnar’s coach Marty Morgan and former UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture indicate Lesnar has gotten a lot better and recently resumed limited training, White wouldn’t confirm anything, but remained consistent when probed whether his biggest pay-per-view draw would ever see an Octagon again.

“I hope so, I certainly hope so,” White said for the millionth time in the last two days.
    Lesnar was last seen unifying the title by dominating then-interim champ Frank Mir at UFC 100. He holds a 4-1 professional record, however has looked unstoppable in his last three wins, two of which were for titles.

The champ was slated to defend his title against Shane Carwin at UFC 106 in November, however was forced to withdraw due to an undisclosed illness. It was later reported Lesnar had contracted mononucleosis, which he then parlayed to an intestinal infection that required surgery a week later.

Following the procedure, it was revealed that Lesnar was actually suffering from diverticulitis, a condition where pouches on your large intestine inflame.

Everything regarding Lesnar’s condition has remained under lock and key, however it appears Lesnar is finally ready to let the world in on what’s kept him bedridden for the past couple of months

http://www.5thround.com/19772/dana-white-brock-lesnar-press-conference-in-las-vegas-next-week/

Atlast we will have some conclusive information on what exactly is going on with Brock, i hope its good news and he will be back training ready to fight again this year.

I was thinking about if Brock will go to Vegas for 109 to see Tuscherer fight, the other day actually.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Brock Lesnar Press Conference in Las Vegas Next Week !!! Empty Re: Brock Lesnar Press Conference in Las Vegas Next Week !!!

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:14 pm

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Brock Lesnar Press Conference in Las Vegas Next Week !!! Empty Re: Brock Lesnar Press Conference in Las Vegas Next Week !!!

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:50 pm

Really glad to hear he is on the mend and on his way back,I can't wait to see him back in action and a can bet Mir is happy to hear this.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:05 am

Yes his camp have been saying this week that he will definatly comeback and fight again, the question is just when it will be, hopefully he himself will shed some light in press confrence next week and hope he says he will be back soon.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:11 pm

I think the press conference is today or tomorrow, i've noticed on the UFC website Mir-Carwin is no longer advertised as interim title fight instead its "clash of the titans". I am certain this said interim title fight last week. And on Death clutch webiste it says "training is in session".

All these signs point to a early return for Brock....... I hope
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:49 pm

Here's the official poster for the event:

Brock Lesnar Press Conference in Las Vegas Next Week !!! Ufc-11-poster

Gonna look like tits if it's not a title fight now.

As Red says the UFC website isn't listing it as a title match anymore.

http://uk.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=eventDetail.Home&eid=2748

Interesting, If Lesnar comes back to early it could be very bad for him. Especially against Mir or Carwin.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:25 pm

they release the posters way in advance, they change them all the time.

Brock Lesnar Press Conference in Las Vegas Next Week !!! Ufc106poster

Brock Lesnar Press Conference in Las Vegas Next Week !!! Ufc109
    Brock Lesnar Press Conference in Las Vegas Next Week !!! UFC_109-poster
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:37 pm

Yeah but that's different. Those changes were due to injuries. This change has been made with no explanation and the same fighters are fighting.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:01 pm

The Ultimate Fighting Championship will no longer host a planned press conference for the fighter, but UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar instead will appear on Wednesday's edition of ESPN's "SportsCenter" to give an update on his health status.

A UFC spokesperson today confirmed the media appearance with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), which is slated to begin at 11 a.m. ET.

Lesnar has been out of action since July due to an illness.

The ailment, initially diagnosed as mononucleosis and then diverticulitis, forced Lesnar out of a scheduled November UFC 106 headliner with Shane Carwin.

In recent months UFC president Dana White said the condition could be career-ending. He expected to get an update on Lesnar last week, but he later stated the update would be given at a UFC-hosted press conference this week.

Instead, Lesnar is scheduled to appear on "SportsCenter," where he's expected to give an update on his health status and a timetable for a possible return. Both White and Lesnar's camp have been tight-lipped about the illness in recent months. However, Lesnar's trainer, Greg Nelson, told MMAjunkie.com earlier this month that Lesnar "will fight again," though a timetable wasn't known.

With Lesnar unlikely to return anytime soon even if given a clean bill of health, the UFC will award an interim title to the winner of March's UFC 111 fight between contenders Frank Mir and Carwin. White said Lesnar could be stripped of the title outright if his illness keeps him out of the cage for an extended period of time.

Of course, UFC officials and heavyweight fighters alike are anxious for the former WWE star, who's already proven to be a top UFC pay-per-view draw, to return. The division is arguably its deepest in years; in addition to Mir and Carwin, fellow contenders Cain Velasquez and Antonio Rodrigo Noguiera meet next month at UFC 110, and Junior Dos Santos is a win or two away from a title shot

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17609/ailing-ufc-champ-brock-lesnar-gives-health-update-wednesday-on-espn.mma
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:28 pm

Lesnar is ready to go in a few months I thought? Randy said so, im sure he will just confirm this. I dont see a point of an interim title in that case.

I think he will just say he will face the winner of Mir vs Carwin. Mir is 1-1 with him and Carwin was promised a shot and beating Mir would only Further prove he diserved it. So I think Nog vs Cain winner will have to wait around... winner of that gets winner of Gonzaga/JDS as long as its not Nog/JDS I suppose!

Funniest Rumour I heard is that Lesnar has dropped to 220lbs because he is sick! Laughing Itd be funny if that ones true!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:03 pm

That rumour was especially funny when only 2 weeks ago his camp released pictures were he still looked huge. Remember the "roided Dean of Mean" comment?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:06 pm

So he's going to appear in a taped segment on SportsCenter. That could very easily mean a picture of him on the screen with him talking to them on the phone.

It's worrying that he hasn't been seen in public and is yet again pulling out of an appearance.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:03 am

All this talk of an early return seems too good to be true. If he is rushing back now, he won't be the same fighter he was. You don't just make a FULL recovery from something that threatened to end your career so fast.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:25 pm

hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:00 pm

That video was added recently, is it him training recently? Looks a bit thinner, not as bad as I was expecting.
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  FOWLERSHIGHFIVE Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:47 pm

I've just read on the UFC facebook page that Dana announced this morning that Brock is fit and healthy and will defend his title in the summer. It says that the interview will be on UFC.com later today.

Could be perfect timing for the winner of Mir V Carwin!!!!

Mir will be pulling his plonker over this tonight if its true!!!!! tongue
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:52 pm

"Mir will be pulling his plonker over this tonight if its true!!!!!"

Ha ha!! lol!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:50 pm

Great news it must be said, and this is coming from a big Mir fan over here Laughing

Just one thing though, didnt Dana say he already had surgery and it was a success?? Doesnt matter i suppose......
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:54 pm

Was Brock at the press confrence? Anyone know if he really has lost crazy amounts of weight? Glad he is going to make a full recovery, I think he is a good thing for the sport. I didnt like him being fast tracked to a title shot etc.. but who would turn down a title shot. He is a bit hot headed but I actually like Brock, I cheered for him over Mir in the 2nd fight.

I suppose we all knew that he would take on the winner of these 2 fights. It will be good to see who his 2 potential opponents are. Also I wonder what the point is in making the Mir fight for an interim title.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:00 pm

I'll post this here aswell........

Do they really need an Interim fight then, if he's coming back in a few months? I dont like Interim belts.

I'm pretty confident Mir will beat Carwin in a few months, so the likelihood is Mir and Brock will be having the third rubber match in the summer. Maybe they should look into another opponent for Brock because he would have faced Mir 3 times in his first 6 fights!!!!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:05 pm

Here you go everyone......

I just been on some other forums and you will not believe the amount of threads Brock is getting, he certainly is the biggest draw in mma at the moment.

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:56 pm

Unconfirmed reports that a very genorous donation has been recieved by hospital in Bismarck in the form of UFC paycheck paid over a victory against a Mr Kongo in december. The staff in the hospital are said to have very grateful for the donation by Mr. Anonymous.

In other news, security in a Candian has been re-inforced considerably, following a scare when a 284 pound Pshycotic male attempted to set fire to the hospital.

Further details are not yet known at this time.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:34 pm

^^^^^^ Laughing

I also think Mir will defeat Carwin, its a tough fight but Mir should be too much for Carwin. Technichally better striker, better ground game and size and speed will be in his favour.

The third fight between Mir and Lesner will be the closest yet, I think Lesner should get another opponent if he comes back fast enough, even if its someone like Justin McCully on a FN event just so he can get back into serious training and get rid of the ring rust. Mir/Carwin as a first fight back is a tough fight. A very tough fight. Thats the problem with giving Lesner a title shot so early, he doesn't get to beat the Kongo's and Nelson's of the divisions as a champion so he has very little time to develop his overall game.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:08 pm

With the silence finally broken, now the speculation can really begin.

After UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar (4-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) revealed on this morning's edition of ESPN's "SportsCenter" that he has been blessed a miraculous recovery from a potentially career-ending case of diverticulosis , UFC president Dana White issued a generic target date of "summer" for the champ's return.

On a media call following the "SportsCenter" appearance, White and Lesnar both got a little more specific about the possibilities.

With the UFC's December announcement that it would hold its second-ever UFC Fan Expo in conjunction with a Memorial Day weekend event, believed to be UFC 114, White today admitted that scheduling the heavily anticipated return of Lesnar at that card might make sense.

"Yeah, it's a possibility," White said when asked about Lesnar fighting at the May 29 event in Las Vegas. "In a perfect scenario, (Frank) Mir and (Shane) Carwin fight. One of them wins, comes out healthy, and then we do the Brock fight."

White had already stated during the ESPN appearance that the winner of the UFC 111 interim title fight between Mir and Carwin would get first crack at Lesnar.

With that fight scheduled for March 27 in Newark, N.J., the winner would have just nine weeks to turn around and prepare to fight Lesnar if the May 29 event was identified as the host of the bout.

But the allure of Lesnar in the main event of a card associated with another UFC Fan Expo may prove to great to pass up. If so, White has stated that the winner of the UFC 110 fight between top heavyweight contenders Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Cain Velasquez could also find his way into the matchup.

With Nogueira and Velasquez meeting on Feb. 21 in Australia, the winner of the bout would likely have ample time to recover.

Lesnar said he's set to begin training on Thursday, and he's open to any option.

"I'll be back in the gym on Thursday morning," Lesnar said. "I'm going to have a mini-camp.

"I'm getting ready for anybody and everybody. I know the (fighters in the) heavyweight division are definitely back on their toes again because Brock Lesnar is back."

While Carwin, Nogueira and Velasquez all provide enticing matchups for Lesnar, the most marketable contest would undoubtedly entail a rubber match with Mir.

Mir defeated Lesnar in Feburary 2008 in the first meeting between the two. But after being defeated by TKO in a UFC 100 contest with Lesnar this past July, Mir has openly discussed his focus on a third fight with the champ. The former WWE star has obviously taken note of the comments.

"I don't think I beat [Mir] as bad as I could, so for me to get my hands on that stalker again – Frank Mir has made it a mission of his life," Lesnar said. "Frank Mir the stalker – it's been a while since I've had a stalker, but we'll take care of that if I ever face him again."

But Mir wasn't the only heavyweight for which Lesnar had a message.

"I'll just sit back, I'll sharpen my skills, and I'll be prepared for either one of those guys," Lesnar said. "If it's Nogueira, if it's Velasquez, I know one thing: all them guys are [expletive] their pants right now."

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17624/white-says-lesnar-could-return-for-ufc-114-champ-welcomes-fight-with-stalker-mir.mma

Yep the old Brock is back......

114 might be abit too soon for the Mir-Carwin winner i think though, so could well be Nog-Cain.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:42 pm

Im excited to see Brock back, Were Due some good fights. Brock Mauling Mir in the 2nd one was some entertaining GnP, The Herring fight and the Couture fight showed his Punch power... The thing is with Mir and Couture he was more than willing to fight standing. Mir has some great new standup skills but probabally isnt one of the heavys with a chin to take lesnars right cross, Carwin will also stand and trade and thats two of the heaviest hitters trade!

Theres good fight ahead. Id love to see him vs Nog at some point. If Nog pulled off the Sub win in would be the ultimate underdog win, Nog matches up so badly with Lesanr and if he won I think it would be a classic underdog momment! If Lesnar won its kind of an official passing of the torch... it would show a lot of us oldschool fans that Lesnar is the legit number 2 heavy.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 9:22 am