THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
rudeboyben84
redmeanie77
6 posters

Rashad Evans is BJJ black belt under Rolles Gracie !

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Rashad Evans is BJJ black belt under Rolles Gracie ! Empty Rashad Evans is BJJ black belt under Rolles Gracie !

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:08 am

Cant wait to see him flying armbar Rampage Twisted Evil

Even though they say he hasnt attempted a single submission in the UFC.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Rashad Evans is BJJ black belt under Rolles Gracie ! Empty Re: Rashad Evans is BJJ black belt under Rolles Gracie !

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:08 pm

Wanderlei Silva is also a BJJ BB, I think they are giving Black Belts out if you collect 10 tokens on the back on Corn Flakes these days! Laughing
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Rashad Evans is BJJ black belt under Rolles Gracie ! Empty Re: Rashad Evans is BJJ black belt under Rolles Gracie !

Post  Paolo_73 Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:49 pm

Yeah it does seem like a fair number of them are being given out these days, but you've got to love the fact that Rashad is even more reluctant than Jorge Gurgel to use any ground tactics!

Is it just me, or would anybody else have absolutely loved to see Rashad land a plum high kick and knock Silva out cold when he started acting like a dick in the 3rd round? I used to not mind that guy, but not any more. What kind of idiot loses 2 rounds decisively and then spends the 3rd acting like a clown and totally failing to capitalise on his big chance to finish?

As for Rashad's chin, is it secure?... sure he was knocked out by Machida, but he has to be the only person to eat a hard right straight to the jaw from Silva and not buckle completely?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:58 pm

I didnt like Silvas showboating, I think he was just very very frustrated and wanted to draw Evans into a brawl were no doubt he would have KO'd him. Fair play to Evans for Sticking to his game because as he showed in the 3rd trying to strike with Evans like he has in the past could have ended badly.

Evans really impressed me with Mixing up the Strikinginto Clintches and Takedowns, With a bit more Td defence Silva coula have won, With a bit more cario Silva could have Knocked Evans out and with a bit less Showboating he might have been able to even geta 10-8 round if he dropped evans a few times... For an ex chuteboxe guy a littel more agression insted of posing would have served him better.

Im not sure why he didnt go for broke but he didnt look that bad in defeat, Silva is still a young guy and looked Huge becide Evans, I think he still has a future as a top contender in the devision.

Evans I dont know, His Chin came into question as did his cardio because he slowed by the 3rd. his size might be an issue, he looked like a Mw. I think he is 3rd best right now and rightly so but I wonder how his wrestling will look against Ramapge who is probabally 30lbs bigger or Shogun who can just stand up from a Coleman Takedown.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:17 pm

Yeah that's true, he won't be able to take Shogun down so easily, although to be honest I was surprised how easily he bullied Silva right from the gun when both guys were fresh, especially given the size difference between the two.

Maybe Evans should go down to MW after the Rampage fight? I can see him doing well there, although Belfort and Silva would probably be too much for him on the feet and his speed wouldn't be so much of an advantage.

As for the Rampage fight, all he needs to do is pepper him with leg kicks and score a few takedowns to control the fight. as long as Rampage can't get anything off on his feet then Evans should win easily. I doubt Rampage learned any new tricks on the set of the A-Team!!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:36 pm

He Should beat Rampage, Rampage has looked bad recently, he wasnt able to put Jardine away. Evans is not the Idea fighter to make Rampage look bad though. Rampage has better boxing and Evans isnt known for his Leg kicks. Also Rashad hardly cutsd to make 205lbs these days were as Rampage is coming down from at least 230lbs Id say... Given the size and Strength I wonder if Evans can take him down? Its going to be an interesting fight because Evans is better but Rampage is bigger and perhaps not the best matchup for Evans.

I think going to Mw would be a good Idea, Only thing is Nate Maqruardt is next in line for a shot after Belfort and they will probabally pull the whole team mates not fighting shit...
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:30 pm

Dana has said that they trying to put Rashad-Rampage at UFC 113 along with Machida-Shogun 2 in Montreal.

Thats shaping up to be a big card, i guess they want to make it up to the canadians after those 25 mins snoozefest the last time they were there. Smile (Thales Leites-Anderson)
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:44 pm

Evans should easily be able to make MW,looking at this picture I can't tell who the bigger guy is,Evans or Nate.

Rashad Evans is BJJ black belt under Rolles Gracie ! O0ul
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:51 pm

PAyne Cant see Pics in work but Nate cuts from 220Lbs I think, I think Evans is about the same if not a bit lighter. Nate is Heavier set alright, Wikipedia says NAte is an inch taller but Evans has a half inch of reach (74.5) but I think that at UFC 108 his reach was listed at 73... not sure. I think Nate is a bit bigger alright!

But Maby because they are teammates they dont want to fight in the same devision and Nate is maby better at cutting weight...

It would make for an interesting fight!

redmeanie77 Yeah its shaping up to be a great card! I wonder if the Canadians will ban MMA's most deadly move this time.... "foot Stomps"! I wonder what the Craic was with them banning foot stomps last time!! Maby they were thinking they were Pride like Stomps to the head!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:05 pm

The canadians wanted rule changes that banned elbow and knee strikes, mandated a smaller cage, and would stop a fight when a fighter gets knocked down etc..... affraid

But then UFC officals and canadians managed to settle on only banning the mighty foot stomp Smile

Hope this doesnt happen again, the last thing we need in a Machida-Shogun rematch event is more controversy.

Nate looks slightly bigger there, but he is a huge MW, Unless Rashad goes on a loosing streak at 205 he should stay at that weight, i think he is in the top 3 in that division and will probably be the same if he moved down to 185.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:09 pm

If Evans beats Rampage does it put him back in line for a title shot at the winner of Shogun/Machida? Or will something daft happen in the meantime like Randy getting a shot and pulling off another upset?! Laughing
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:13 pm

I think if Rashad beats Rampage he should drop down and have one fight at MW against a top 10 MW and then get a title shot. By the time he's had two more fights Silva will have beaten Belfort and Nate so there'd be no issue with Nate and Rashad fighting.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:41 pm

Renzo Gracie on Rashad's blackbelt...

GF- Rashad Evans recently was promoted by Rolles Gracie to Blackbelt. Any thoughts?

Renzo- It was a recognition from Rolles that Rashad should compete in the highest categories of gi-less grappling competitions. In the Gi-less World Championships for example you cannot compete in the Blackbelt division no matter how long you've been grappling unless a certified instructor gives you a belt for that division. Can I say that Rashad has worked his way up in the correct belt order with a gi? Of course not and I don't think as a pro fighter he will be doing gi tournaments anytime soon. I differentiate between gi and gi-less and apparently Rolles found him ready for the belt in gi-less. I don't think you should give someone a belt in a locker room. Not sure if that was Rolles' idea.

GF-As far as Rolles training at Greg Jackson's, is there a new alliance of some sort and has Rolles joined Jackson's team?

Renzo- There's some bigger guys there to spar with and he's made some friends and had a good time training but he fights under our banner. As you know GSP and Rashad have trained with us so we thought it would be fine if he spent some time out there mixing it up.

GF-How is your training going for your upcoming fight?

Renzo- Great. I've already lost a lot of weight and am happy to be fighting in Abu Dhabi against Matt Hughes.
    I watched that fight with Gil Melendez and was impressed with his heart and determination. I'll be watching Nate and Nick's fights this month and hope they can come up to NYC afterwards.

http://graciefighter.com/?page=news&PHPSESSID=98d5bdce289e150ac4789782dd0e2e9d
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:04 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:I think if Rashad beats Rampage he should drop down and have one fight at MW against a top 10 MW and then get a title shot. By the time he's had two more fights Silva will have beaten Belfort and Nate so there'd be no issue with Nate and Rashad fighting.

Thats a good Idea but one thing you forgot, Belfort or Nate are beaing Silva this time around. Laughing

If he gets through his next 2 figths with wins im going to be supprised. Belfort and Nate are looking on top form, Nate is twice the fighter Anderson beat 1st time around and Belfort is looking straight up unstoppable.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:34 pm

I think Anderson will walk through Belfort to be honest. Vitor needs to KO him in the first or he loses. Silva's never been KO'd or come close to it and i think he'll be far too hard to hit fot Vitor. Silva to leave him in a bloodied heap in the 3rd.

Nate is twice the fighter. Unfortunately for Nate, Anderson was so much better than him first time around that unless he's regressed significantly, he's still going to be better than him.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:48 pm

How many fights has Anderson got left with UFC? 3? Do you see him going undefeated then? MAby Belfort and Nate arent better than him but Its MMA, everyone looses sometime! I think beating them both Back to back would cememt him as a UFC Hall of Famer.

Im backing Belfort to win because I think he will overwhelm Silva, For such a built guy with huge power he back it up with Crazy handspeed, I think he will just get in and force Silva to trade, playing a tactical figth will play into Silvas hands but if its a toe to toe flurry exchange type of fight I cant see anyone at MW standing up to Belfort.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:51 pm

He's Hall of Fame anyway IMO. Longest ever winning streak in UFC history. Most dominant champion ever.

I think he will go undefeated unless he gets stupid and fights some1 like Shogun at 205 or moves to HW and goes at a top contender. IMO Hendo was the only one at 185 that could beat him but he's gone. And Rashad could spend 5 rounds taken him down but i don't think he'll drop to 185 soon enough.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 1:45 am