THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

2 posters

ADCC 2009 - UFC stars to compete.

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

ADCC 2009 - UFC stars to compete. Empty ADCC 2009 - UFC stars to compete.

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:24 am

Male -65.9kg:
    Rani Yahya, Brazil (2007 men's -65kg winner)
    Jeff Curran, USA
    Justin Rader, USA
    Leo Vieira, Brazil
    Hiroshi "Iron" Nakamura, Japan
    Jeff Glover, USA
    Baret Yoshida, USA
    Rubens Charles Maciel, Brazil
    Jayson Patino, USA
    David Marinakis, Australia
    Ryan Hall, USA
    Timo-Juhani Hirvikangas, Finland
    Nicolas Renier, France
    Rafael Mendes, Brazil
    Kohei Yasumi, Japan

Male -76.9kg:
    Marcelo Garcia, Brazil (2007 men's -76kg winner; Garcia also won the -76kg class in 2003 and 2005, and placed 2nd in the 2007 Absolute bracket.)
    Ben Askren, USA
    Bill Cooper, USA
    Milton Vieira, Brazil
    Yoshiyuki Yoshida, Japan
    Georges St. Pierre, Canada
    Pablo Popovich, USA
    Kron Gracie, USA
    Enrico Cocco, USA
    Rodney Ellis, Australia
    Don Ortega, USA
    Toni Linden, Finland
    Marcelo Azevedo, Brazil
    Murilo Santana, Brazil
    Keita Nakamura, Japan

Male -87.9kg:
    Demian Maia, Brazil (2007 men's -87kg winner; will he get a chance to avenge his loss to Nate Marquardt?)
    Gunnar Nelson, Iceland
    Tarsis Humphreys, Brazil
    Rousimar Palhares, Brazil
    Braulio Estima, UK
    Nate Marquadt, USA
    Mike van Arsdale, USA
    Daniel Tabera, Spain
    Rafael Lovato Jr.
    Chris Weidman, USA
    Igor Praporshchikov, Australia
    Jason Selva, USA
    Trond Saksenvik, Norway
    Andre Galvao, Brazil
    Kazuhiro Nakamura, Japan
    Kassim Annan, France

Male -98.9kg:
    Alexandre "Xande" Ribeiro, USA (2007 men's -98kg winner)
    Marcio "Pe de Pano" Cruz, Brazil
    Renato Sobral, Brazil
    Vesa Vuori, Finland
    Vinicius Magalhães, Brazil
    Dean Lister, USA
    Roberto Abreu, USA
    Ricardo Arona, Brazil
    Gerardi Rinaldi, USA
    Anthony Perosh, Australia
    Rafael Davies, USA
    Andreas Olsen, Norway
    Radek Turek, Poland
    Glover Teixeira, Brazil
    Yukiya Naito, Japan

Male 99kg+:
    Fabricio Werdum, Brazil (2007 men's 99kg+ winner)
    Jeff Monson, USA
    Tom Erikson, USA
    Jon Olav Einemo, Norway
    Rogent Lloret, Spain
    Saulo Ribeiro, USA
    Dennis Roberts, Australia
    Asa Fuller, USA
    Janne-Pekka Pietiläinen, Finland
    Tomasz Janiszewski, Poland
    Antoine Jaoude, Brazil
    Kouji Kanechika, Japan
    Tom DeBlass, USA

The tournament will also feature Absolute (open-weight) divisions in the men's and women's categories, as well as a "superfight" between Roger Gracie (2005 Absolute winner) and Robert Drysdale (2007 Absolute winner).
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

ADCC 2009 - UFC stars to compete. Empty Re: ADCC 2009 - UFC stars to compete.

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:37 am

Monson and Werdum could meet, Monson could show Strikeforce he is a top contender, I dont really enjoy his fighting style but he is a cool guy who works his balls off. Id like to see him get the win.

Alexandre "Xande" Ribeiro wont the tournament at heavy and was the 1st person ever to submit Jeff Monson, he is fighting at Lhw along with Ricardo Arona, Dean Lister, Vinicius Magalhães, Babalu and Marcio Cruz who beat Mir in MMA and in ADCC he beat Ricco Rodriguez , Mike Van Arsdale , Roger Gracie, Gabriel Gonzaga, Paulo Filho, Fabricio Werdum and Xande Ribeiro!

At Mw Mike van Arsdale is in along with Palhares, Marquardt and Maia! Im sure Maia would be interested to see if Nate really would match him at grappling!! I love to see Palhares vs Maia!!

GSP is in at Welter, as is Marcelo Garcia who is an absolute BJJ machine, he won Gold 3 times at ADCC, won 3 golds in the Pan american games at JJ as well as gold at the Brazilian JJ championships, GSP would make a huge impact if he won... Not that likely but would be cool to see.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:57 am

Sweet, a lot of good fighters and gapplers there. No Hughes or Ortiz this time, im not sure how the UFC fighters will do. Obviously id love to see GSP and Nate win in there respective weight classes but there against top class BJJ guys. Im sure Maia will want revenge on Nate! I this will be good for both of them, good experience against superior grapplers, il be supportig them as ever. Maia against Palahaeres would be awesome to watch, it will show who the best BJJ guy is at MW. Good to see Vinny in action, he is awesome at BJJ just poor everywhere else as an MMA fighter. Riberio, Cruz, Sobral, Arona and Lister should make for some brilliant matches. No Travis Lutter? Werdum should do well, we haven't always seen his BJJ quality in the octagon, he has shown it elsewhere.

The Gracie-Drysdale contest should be a fun watch as well, somehow I doubt A Silva will be cheering for Drysdale Laughing Laughing
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:33 am

Whats the craic with Drysdale and Anderson? Didnt hear about that?

You seem to like Wrestlers in MMA! I usually find Wrestlers as the worst style to watch, you train any wrestling? You said your doing a bit of Kickboxing hows that going? Any other Martial arts?

Ive been out of training for about a year n a half myself! MMA classes are starting again mid week so im going to get myself back in the next month. Ive done Kickboxing a bit when I was a kid it was the 1st martial art I did. Thaijutsu was the next thing I did, It was fairly similar to MMA and class just changed to an MMA cause they found Thaijutsu a bit outdated and when the guys all started getting fights MMA was a lof more usefull! We have a good Wrestling coach in MMA and I found thats were I did best, I dont like Wrestling as a style to watch so I went to a few classes in Muay thai because its my favorite martial art but the class moved. Also did a couple of Judo classes as well, Really took well to that as well but again it was a bit of a pain in the arse to get to.. Same with BJJ Which was about an hour to get to.. the disadvantages of not driving!! MMA classes do the trick, There a good coach for Wrestling and good one for Muay Thai and a good one for BJJ thats all you need in one gym but the place is shithole.. leaking sealiings and the Muay Thai guy who shared the Guy with us and owned all the stuff sold everything... Including the ring... It just want the same sparing on matts. But Im mate with the guys so training there is more enjoyable.

Ive no fights under my belt, you? was offered an amature one this August if I got back to training and cut to 70kg!! But with a pregnant girl id been eating like a horse and walking around about 170lbs. Looking forward to getting back to training though
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:12 am

Whats the craic with Drysdale and Anderson? Didnt hear about that?

Ha it was hilarious mate. On the UFC 101 countdown show, Drysdale was Griffin's BJJ coach. He said some thing a bit cocky like " Lutter was beating Silva on the ground and Griffin is better than Lutter." Silva resondedby saying "Drysdale, who are you in MMA, what have you done?" Drysdale then said something like " I have no doubt in my mind that Griffin will submit Silva". That really pissed Silva off and he was like " who is this Drysdale, he is a fool an idiot."

Here is Drysdale thoughts on it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_CY85eSceM

http://www.411mania.com/MMA/news/112605/Anderson-Silva-Thinks-That-Brazilian-Jiu-Jiitsu-and-BJJ-Coach-Robert-Drysdale-Is-An-Idiot.htm

Sorry I couldn't find the video.

You seem to like Wrestlers in MMA! I usually find Wrestlers as the worst style to watch, you train any wrestling? You said your doing a bit of Kickboxing hows that going? Any other Martial arts?

Ye I generally like wrestlers because I think its very effective. However I hate LnP, some one like Lindland really bores me with his fights. Some wrestlers are exciting to watch, I think GSP for the most part is quite fun to watch, he works for the most part. Jake Roholt at UFC 102 put on a decent show and showed what an advantage it is to have it.

Wrestling was the first MMA i trained in. I actually play rugby as well, so when I trained in wrestling I was able to take people down faster than the others because of my tackling experience. My huge 6'2 195 pound, American-football playing cousin was actually suprised I was able to take him down with ease because im quite lanky. I look more suited to Muay Thai then wrestling. I decided I needed to add some form of striking to my game (because my punches were worse than Aoki's!) an I was a K-1 fan so I started learning abit of that. I really want to learn more arts though, BJJ is a priority and Muay Thai because a lot of my mates do it. Judo also looks fun to learn, I just need a good gym to train at and its hard to find these arts where I live. Ive also been out of training for a while, my weight is ok because i hardly ever gain weight but im looing forward tp getting back to the gym. I had one amater fight which I won by sub (strikes). I don't think I was too good, my opponent was just shit Laughing
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:54 pm

Well done on the amature win mate, must be good to have a win under your belt however shit the opposition! MY closest thing to a big win was another guy came to spar with us and I had to fight some 15stone Karate Guy... I think it was one of the few sparring sessions that got stopped, I dropped him twice, One with Leg Kicks, One with Rib Kicks! Those Karate Guys and their crazily high guard!! You will do well at Muay Thai if your lanky, I was reading an article in fighers only that said about different bodytypes being suited to different martial arts and different styles. Wrestlers tend to be stockier as a low centre of gravity helps and strikers tend to be longer as reach helps and in a thai chinch height helps with leverage, Most goot Thai Boxers I know are tall and Lanky... Muay Thai is rough when you start because all the guys who have been there a while have shins like Iron bars!!!

Thats cool about Drysdale and A.Silva! Id love Anderson to enter ADCC and test his groundgame, We rarely get to see it these days. Im a fan of some wrestlers too. I love Slams! Judo throws are my favorite but Hughes and Ramapage became favorites after delievering brutal slams... I agree its lay and pray ones that more me. One Technique I love that GSP and Lesnar uses was the Knees to the ribs of a "turtled up" opponent, Lesnar to Herring and GSP to Serra... those were Brutal!!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:32 pm

Ye cheers mate, it did feel good. You sound like you've got vicous kicks, dropping a guy twice! Well done on that, especially since he is 15 stone.

Ye i have a very unusual body for a wrestler, most of the MMA ones I know are all stocky guys. Griffin, Sherk, Maynard, GSP, Hughes even Lesnar for his height. Muay Thai could be somting I could be good at but as you said it would be hard at first.

Ye I also would like to see him enter it, he has got a pretty ground game that we rarely see. He did submit Lutter and Henderson after all and I think he could get a few wins, not win overall but do ok. I love watching KO slams as well, they are awesome to watch. Judo throws are also entertaining, Fedor's ones on Mousasi recently were quite cool. And knees to the body, man are they brutal. It really messes you up, im suprised Herring didn't tap against Lesner, he took a hell of a beating, he is a tough guy.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:21 pm