THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+9
manschesthair_utd
hendos_right_hook
poz
Moose Stuff For Money...
Anfields5thKing
Shanemc
redmeanie77
Paddyjock
exiledinmanila
13 posters

Damn You Kongo!!!!

exiledinmanila
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Damn You Kongo!!!! Empty Damn You Kongo!!!!

Post  exiledinmanila Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:19 am

Why did you have to prove mir right!!!!!idiot!!!
    Paddyjock
    Paddyjock
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Damn You Kongo!!!! Empty Re: Damn You Kongo!!!!

Post  Paddyjock Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:24 am

Mir is awesome - I don't get the Mir hate on here. If Lesnar wasn't so freakishly big Mir would be champion.
    exiledinmanila
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  exiledinmanila Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:12 am

If i had never heard mir talk i would probably agree!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:52 am

What a win Cool

Im glad Kongo got caught by Mir, i dont know if he always does this or not but he had his hands low showing no respect for Mir standup and Mir's extremely underated boxing dropped him for easy sub finish.

Carwin or Nog/Cain winner next for Mir now surely. cheers
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:42 pm

great performance from mir lets see how he does against a carwin/velasquez i think he will be in line for that interim belt
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:47 pm

Mir was impressive. Very very impressive. But it remains to be seen whether or not all that extra muscle will slow him down.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:51 pm

Agreed. Mir has never been a fan of cardio work, hopefully carrying the extra muscle won't have affected his gas tank.
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:07 pm

I don't see as much MMA as I'd like, but Mir looked awesome! Nice to see he checked on Kongo too. Has he bulked up enough to trouble a fit again Lesnar?
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:11 pm

When I first heard about this fight I was desperate for Mir to lose.

When I watched the countdown show I saw someone working towards something. That man is desperate to beat Lesnar, and if (with all the health issues and that) Lesnar/Mir 3 ever happens, Mir will know where he went wrong and what he can do better. Thats why I have a new respect for the man, yes he can be an arrogant prick, but he lost a fight and instead of hanging his head and feeling sorry for himself, he went back to the gym and saw where he needed to improve and worked at it.

Thats the stuff that makes champions.
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:22 pm

hendos_right_hook wrote:When I first heard about this fight I was desperate for Mir to lose.

When I watched the countdown show I saw someone working towards something. That man is desperate to beat Lesnar, and if (with all the health issues and that) Lesnar/Mir 3 ever happens, Mir will know where he went wrong and what he can do better. Thats why I have a new respect for the man, yes he can be an arrogant prick, but he lost a fight and instead of hanging his head and feeling sorry for himself, he went back to the gym and saw where he needed to improve and worked at it.

Thats the stuff that makes champions.

Hope so, I have no axe with Lesnar, but I do feel his style is boring! Not disputing he can wrestle and twat people though!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:40 pm

great performance from Mir, this has to set up a fight with Carwin, i would love to see Carwin KO Mir, he should be able to aswell, Mir has no ground defence to strikes, like nearly all of his losses have been gnp.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:48 pm

I wouldnt be suprised if Mir drops Carwin too, Mir has better technique than Carwin and i think he fortunate Gonzaga messed up and didnt go for the finnish when Carwin was still seeing black. Carwin just has power in his hands in a way similar to Brock and Mir caused him some trouble in brief period in they were standing up.

I think Mir wins this one, and i think he would beat Nog again, Cain or JDS are the ones i feel that would be bad matchup for Mir.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:51 pm

I cannot see Mir beating a healthy Nog, so he has better stand up than Nog? yes. but i dont think he will be able to KO him again and a 265 lb Mir will gas at some point in the first 10 minutes, if it is a title fight Mir is screwed.
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:00 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:great performance from Mir, this has to set up a fight with Carwin, i would love to see Carwin KO Mir, he should be able to aswell, Mir has no ground defence to strikes, like nearly all of his losses have been gnp.
    Again, excuse my ignorance (I'm a learner) how do you successfully defend against that? I know some fighters enjoy being on their backs, but once you are being hammerfisted (if that is a word!), isn't it just a case of being knocked out or being lucky?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:04 pm

Yes well barring any major gassing out Mir can take this fight, Nog has been dropped plenty of times and you dont need to be knocked out for Ref to stop the fight.

Those pride refs really let Nog take alot punishment in his previous fights affraid

It would be pretty tough submitting Mir in an MMA fight. I hope we get to see it, it will of course be much closer than their first fight which was domination personified. But i have this feeling that Cain will beat Nog by descion at 110.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:54 pm

Ye Mir looked amazing tonight, that punch was incredible. he sent a 240, 6'4 man FLYING. He looked quick on his feet and had an amazing killer instinct.

Right no I see no way that Nog would beat Mir, how is Nog going to get a 265 pound man to the floor? Even then Mir is no slouch on the ground and should be able to defend. Mir has a major advanatge standing up as well. As much as I love Nog, Mir would beat Nog worst than last time in a rematch.

Id like to see him fight Carwin right now, the winner fights Nog/Velasquez for the interim belt. As someone said, Velasquez and Dos Santos are going to be the guys who give Mir trouble. Along with Lesner ofcoarse.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:59 pm

Dos Santos won't cause Mir any problems at all. Mir is FAR better on the ground, FAR better standing up, bigger, stronger, more experienced and just a better fighter than the hugely over-rated JDS.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:01 pm

He isn't far better standing up, if at all. Dos Santos is much quicker. Much, much quicker and he hits a lot harder. Besides KOing a bum in Wes Simms like 6 years ago, Mir has shown little ability of one punch KO ability. Dos santos has shown it before.
    Don't overate Dos Santos to the point where he becomes underated. He is a good fighter and has three wins over very solid competiton. A top 5 fighter, a fellow up and comer and an all time legend. You can't be a bad fighter if you have finished all three. Ye Werdum wasn't in the best shape, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he was NEVER finished before, and this is a guy who has fought Overoid, Gonzaga twice, Vera, Kyle, A Silva, Sergie, Aleks, Zentsov and Arvloski. Dos Santos was the only one to finish.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:25 pm

Kongo is screwed in the UFC now, hes had some bad losses lately!

Mir is the man i'm really glad to see him back to his best again! I'd like to see him fight Cain, Cain will put him down but Mir will be all over him like a rash!! I think Mir fights a contender now ether Cain/ Carwin... if he wins he get the title shot, or title depending on Lesnars condition.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:14 am

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:He isn't far better standing up, if at all. Dos Santos is much quicker. Much, much quicker and he hits a lot harder. Besides KOing a bum in Wes Simms like 6 years ago, Mir has shown little ability of one punch KO ability. Dos santos has shown it before.
    Don't overate Dos Santos to the point where he becomes underated. He is a good fighter and has three wins over very solid competiton. A top 5 fighter, a fellow up and comer and an all time legend. You can't be a bad fighter if you have finished all three. Ye Werdum wasn't in the best shape, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he was NEVER finished before, and this is a guy who has fought Overoid, Gonzaga twice, Vera, Kyle, A Silva, Sergie, Aleks, Zentsov and Arvloski. Dos Santos was the only one to finish.

And Werdum had the worst night of his life. And if you want to count that for JDS, it's dwarfed by the asskicking that Mir gave Nog, staph infection or no staph infection.

JDS hit CroCop with everything he had and for two rounds was getting beaten by a fighter who didn't want to fight.

Mir's win over Kongo is more impressive than anything JDS has done other than Werdum and Mir's win over Kongo isn't even the best of his career.

Mir is far better in the stand-up. More technical, more accurate, equally as quick, hits just as hard if not harder.

And JDS has never even beaten a top 10 fighter never mind top 5. Werdum was not in the top 10 when JDS fought him.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:51 am

Werdums worst night was against Arvloski and he couldn't finsih him.

Mir beat a very sick Nog who looked like he was on his deathbed, great. Nog was in no position to fight.

"JDS hit CroCop with everything he had and for two rounds was getting beaten by a fighter who didn't want to fight."

No he didn't actually, he wasn't fighting his fight in the first two round but was still winning easily. Cro Cop was pushing his chest and running away, Dos Santos hit him with more effective shots. Then in the third round when Dos Santos stopped giving him so much respect he started getting some decent shots, no where near his best shots and finished him inside two minutes. Kongo fought the same Cro Cop and he couldn't finish him, even though he ensured Cro Cop will never have kids.
    If Dos Santos hit Cro Cop with everything he had, Cro Cop would be dead.

Look im not arguing that Mir is not better than Dos Santos right now, its not close. Mir is 30 year olds and is a former HW champion with wins over fighters like Sylvia, Lesner, Nog and others.

If they fought id give Mir the edge but Dos Santos would cause problems, more so than guys like Nog, Cro Cop and Couture.
    George_Louis_Costanza@who
    George_Louis_Costanza@who
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:05 pm

I don't see UFC dropping Kongo I think the fact he is European and willing to fight on short notice is going to keep him around he certainly won't be Co- Headlining any events any time soon I can see a stint back on the Prelims beating no name HW's.

Credit to Mir but it was kinda predictable that Kongo was getting subbed.
    Raiden
    Raiden
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Damn You Kongo!!!! Empty Frank Mir

Post  Raiden Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:17 pm

I was glad to see Mir win.

I was also impressed with his post fight interview, He might mouth off before the fight but after the fight he was respectful and classy.

If he was to beat Lesnar the next time and have a similar manner following his victory, he would in my opinion win more than just the title.

I haven't seen enough of Mir as much as many of you but this is my opinion on what I have seen and heard.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 12:53 am