THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
Albion_Oakley
payneNglory1
6 posters

Mousasi's Strikeforce Contract

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Mousasi's Strikeforce Contract Empty Mousasi's Strikeforce Contract

Post  payneNglory1 Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:01 am

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/12/8/1191212/sorry-strikeforce-no-fedor

From the moment news broke on Monday that Dan Henderson had signed with Strikeforce, all eyes pointed to a potential title match against light heavyweight champion Gegard Mousasi. But when reached via e-mail by FanHouse, the 24-year-old Dutch fighter said that the organization had yet to approach him about a fight against Henderson.

"That would be an exciting fight for the fans," he wrote. "For me, it's just another fight. But I understand that a win over a caliber fighter like Dan Henderson is very interesting."

Mousasi informed FanHouse that his next fight will be contested under K-1 rules at the Dynamite!! show on New Year's Eve in Japan, although his opponent has yet to be made official. The former DREAM middleweight champion is 1-0 in his kickboxing career, defeating Musashi via first-round TKO at last year's Dynamite!! show.

When asked when he expects to fight in MMA again, Mousasi noted that his contract states he can only compete on the same Strikeforce shows that feature his fellow M-1 Global fighter, Fedor Emelianenko.

"So when he fights, I will fight too. But sooner would be also be fine by me," he wrote.

Ok, so Strikeforce is now having to compete for their Light Heavyweight champ with K-1 as well as having to wait on their heavyweight champ Alistair Overeem to get "kickboxing" out of his system.

But the bit about Mousasi only fighting on Strikeforce shows that feature Fedor is the big news here. Holy moly! what a restrictive and baffling contract clause. I don't see how that helps anyone, unless its purpose is to tie Mousasi to M-1 Global longer by dragging out the time it takes him to complete his contract.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Mousasi's Strikeforce Contract Empty Re: Mousasi's Strikeforce Contract

Post  Albion_Oakley Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:02 am

Hmm not sure about that, mousasi vs sobral wasn't on a show which fedor fought on was it?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:28 am

It's part of the Strikeforce-M1 agreement that when M1 are co-staging a show Mousasi and Fedor are on the card. I think Aoki may be getting added to that deal in the new year.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:59 am

Aoki is rumoured to be Debuting for Strikeforce in March, Is he part of M-1? Anyone know if Strikeforce is going to be on Bravo again? or will it just be the M-1 co-pormoted events?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:29 pm

Does that mean Strikeforce can only call upon their Champion to fight when it's OK with M1?

So they are not Strikeforce fighters then,they are just guns for hire from M1.

I think M1 are going to make all the money out of Strikeforce,leave them in financial difficulties and then either buy them out for peanuts on the dollar or build up their fighters fan base using Strikeforce mainstream audiance and then using the money that they have ripped Strikeforce off with,set up their own promotion in Europe.

(Oooh Conspiracy theories)

Does anybody know how long Mousasi's contract is with M1?

I know he signed a 3 fight deal with Strikeforce and I think he still has 2 fights left on his Dream contract but is that all the fights he owes M1 or does it last longer?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Doesnt seem fair on Strikeforce does it, im sure they would want Fedor and Mousasi headlining individual events rather than have them together everytime, or maybe it would cost less to co-promote fewer events with m-1 as possible.

Im hopefull Mousasi will sign with the UFC after his contract with M-1 expires, i cant see Fedor not renewing his M-1 contract as he is part owner but Mousasi has said numerous times he wants to be in UFC in future so we could see him sign with them after M-1.

And their have been rumours that Mousasi is not happy with M-1....
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:56 pm

M1 are the agents of Fedor and Mousasi as well as having promotion agreements. They don't have contracts with set amounts of fights. M1 are intependant promoters. They tend to stage their own small events and then work with major promoters for big events.

The best way to look at their agreement with Strikeforce is to think of M1 as Frank Warren, Strikeforce as Top Rank and then Showtime obviously as Showtime.
    Raiden
    Raiden
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Mousasi's Strikeforce Contract Empty RE: Mousasi's Strikeforce Contract

Post  Raiden Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:29 pm

I can understand UFC's policy not to let their fighters compete in other organisations/sports when you see that Strikeforces Heavyweight and Lightheavyweight are completely tied up for long periods of time with other activities
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:38 pm

I prefer it the Strikeforce way. Give the fighters to freedom to do what they want rather than these stupid exclusive contracts.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 8:59 am