THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
KJGould
George_Louis_Costanza@who
manschesthair_utd
redmeanie77
quicksuperlee
9 posters

BBC Sports Personality of the Year

quicksuperlee
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

BBC Sports Personality of the Year Empty BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Post  quicksuperlee Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:49 pm

Just seen an advert for the BBC sports personality of the year..and it got me thinking...

Will an MMA fighter ever get onto the list? Is MMA a SPORT? Will the BBC ever see MMA as anything other than a gloryfied dog fight between two men?

Answers on a postcard to......
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

BBC Sports Personality of the Year Empty Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:58 pm

When Bisping beats Fedor maybe..
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:40 pm

or if hardy beats GSP.

or whenever a britain wins a UFC title we will get one in the top 10 or 12.
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:43 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:or if hardy beats GSP.

or whenever a britain wins a UFC title we will get one in the top 10 or 12.

If Hardy beats GSP those muppets at the beeb will be all over it.........on BBC Midlands that is for about 20 seconds.

It is a shame if Hardy beats GSP it will sadlt get limited coverage in the UK mainstream.
    KJGould
    KJGould
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KJGould Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:28 am

I think a UFC championship win is the only possibility. Especially as it'll be the first UK world champion, ever.

Bisping was voted Number 13 overall a couple years back and that was based on all the TUF hype and posterboy role.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:44 pm

I think you won't just need a championship, the public need to know who he is, and about the sport, as well as dismiss this 'ultimate fighting' and 'cage fighting' name it has, which makes it sound thuggish. I really wish people would just call it MMA. I get angry at school when I hear people talking about cage fighting!

I don't think Hardy will be the person to break MMA in the UK if he beats (I say IF, we may be getting a bit ahead of ourselves Very Happy) GSP, but it will help enormously.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:29 pm

Unfortunately more people know about Alex Reid than Dan Hardy until that changes the Sports Personality Of The Year will be well out of reach. I'm not sure a title win in the near future would even have that big an impact.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:40 pm

I dunno I think Hardy would be a good ambassador for the "sport" if boxing is included why not MMA? I'm pritty sure that by the time the GSP/ Hardy fight comes around a hell of alot of people will be talking about the the fight and so on, GSP is a huge personality in the world of MMA and considered one of the best ever... if Hardy beats him it will not go unnoticed!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:26 pm

But Hardy won't beat GSP Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:14 am