THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
Anfields5thKing
rudeboyben84
GWillz
hendos_right_hook
8 posters

Last night...

hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Last night... Empty Last night...

Post  hendos_right_hook Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:18 am

Quite a few surprises on the card last night, particularly Kimbo winning!

As for the finale, I was genuinely suprised that Nelson won, Schaub was the only fighter in this series who kind of impressed me and had the look of an athlete about him.

On that topic, can anyone else see (considering the finale is basically meaningless as both fighters tend to get contracts) Schaub
    actually going further in the UFC despite losing?

Finally, can anyone tell me how Jones got disqualified?
    GWillz
    GWillz
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Last night... Empty Re: Last night...

Post  GWillz Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:04 pm

Jones was disqualified because of the type of elbow he threw.

You can't use a 12 to 6 elbow, basically when you throw your elbow straight down the middle with the point of your elbow landing first. Deemed too dangerous, and looking at Hamill's face afterwards I would agree!! Jones did look good before that though.

I was pleased Kimbo won, think he came over really well in tuf and seems a genuine guy who is prepared to work his ass off. Won't do anything in the division tho, didn't know how to deal with Alexender's leg kicks!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:41 pm

He wont do anything in what devision 215? Lol! I dont know wether he can cut to 205, the cut seemed to take a lot out of him, Both fighers were totally gassed by the end. It was a really shitty performance by Houston, he was scared to Bang with Kimbo which is Strange. He threw leg kicks at a bad knee, fortunatley for Kimbo I dont think Houston has ever been shown how to deliever a leg kicks and his piss poor technique kept kimbo safe!

Kimbo did show a few real improvments, the slams were great and he mounted Houston a few times. But his Chin came across as weak again, Houston had no power left by the end but Rocked Kimbo with an elbow, If he had of had a little more in the gas tank he could have flew across the ring and ended it as oppose to standing with his hands on his hips looking at Kimbo! I dont see Kimbo doing anything special. If he can cut to 205 its too stacked a devision. Houston needs to be cut after that performance I say.

Jones loss wont really matter, UFC doesnt work like that, He was dominating Hamill who made comments like "ill be back" as if he lost. The 12 to 6 rules is stupid, you can his 12 to 6 strikes in Thai Boxing and they arent more damaging. Its a Moral Victory for Jones and I think it will be treated like a Victory by Joe Silva Ie he will match him up with an opponent a step in in Quality
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:12 pm

Just watched Jones VS Hamill again, Hamill had just taken over a munite of unanswered and some heavy blows. That decision was poor. Hamill could have got the loss based on nothing coming back and not being able to defend himself. We all have seen fights stopped for less.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:09 pm

Hamill blocked most of those shots and was still defending himself. Two illegal elbows were thrown and both landed flush. DQ was the right call. But agree that it\'s as good as a win for Jones. I\'d like to see him fight someone on the verge\'s of the top 10 now. Vera and Cane would both make sense.

For Hamill, i want to see him fight Mark Coleman, with Greg Valentine as ref and James McSweeney involved as the ref outside the ring who does the checks before the fight. And MC Hammer as the special guest announcer.

As for Kimbo, let\'s give credit where it\'s due. We all wrote him off as a freak show. He swallowed his ego and went on TUF instead of making millions fighting for other organisations. He impressed everyone in the house with his work ethic, his willingness to learn and the respect he showed the trainers, the fighters and the UFC. He lost to the best fighter in the house but then redoubled his efforts and worked even harder. He was diagnosed with arthritis in his knee but kept training. When he left the TUF house, he joined one of the best teams around and has been working his ass off with them trying to get better. Then he came out against a dangerous fighter who holds a KO win over Keith Jardine who\'s arguably a top 10 LHW, and was pretty dominant in the fight. He showed good takedowns, vastly improved groundgame and was willing to stand and bang with Alexander. As for when he got his chin rattled, he was just as tired as Houston and when you\'re gassing your chin does become weaker. Even Dan Henderson has been rocked when he\'s gassed. So i don\'t think that counts against him. He took some decent shots from Houston earlier in the fight and walked through them.

I don\'t know if Kimbo can cut another 7 pounds and make 205 but i don\'t think he should. The guy is one of the 3 biggest draws in MMA(Lesnar and Liddell being the others), he\'s never going to be a title contender, but he\'s fun to watch(except when he opponent does the Starnes for the first 5 rounds). Let him fight at 215-220 CW against some of the smaller HW\'s and the bigger LHW\'s. I want to see Kimbo-Liddell because the numbers would be huge.

Credit to Kimbo and respect also, this is a man raising 6 kids by himself! He fights to make their lives better than the one he\'s lived. He gives thanks for everything he\'s got.

Last edited by Anfields5thKing on Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:14 pm

Hammertime all around! I like Matt Hamill, he is a good solid Lhw but hasnt quite the skills to make it to the top. I think he will stick around as a gatekeeper for a while to come.

Bones vs Vera or Cane would be great to watch, Even Jardine would work for me. I think Bones will be top 10 very soon. I wonder if cutting to 205 is a problem at all. He is a Giant of a 205er! I cant see him being as effective at Hw but I think he is the most promising young star in UFC, especially if he can keep making 205
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:38 pm

i wasnt that impressed with Kimbo, he lost the first round, he won the second round by outmuscling Houston and was lucky the round ended when it did because he had attempted to throw houston but succeeded in pulling houston into a mount position!!!
    I thought he lost round 3 because he was dropped with a kick, Houston could have easily won by throwing the hard right leg kick more, he can throw leg kicks, he finished his last opponent with a heavy leg kick, but overall i was dissapointed in houston and impressed at kimbo's ground game, but lets face the facts here:

at 205 or heavyweight:

his groundgame is in the bottom 10% and will never be better than the bottom 20%.

his chin is in the bottom 10% and wont change.

his cardio is in the bottom 10% and unless he actually decides to let some muscle waste off instead of cutting water to make 205, it wont improve much.

I was impressed by McSweeny, like Kimbo it shows how much spending time with a top camp can improve your game, he has come a long way since getting smothered by that polish guy in cage rage (it was on tv the other week).

Big baby hasnt got such a great chin, he could have beaten Mitrione if he hadnt thrown so many wild bombs and concentrated on taking the oppertunities he had to take him down.
    Mitrione is a bum. no cardio. no ground game. no technique in his striking, a degree of punching power is all he has.

DQ is the right call for Jones/Hamill. I hate elbows in the ground in mma anyway and it was an intentional illegal move, whether a momentary lapse in concentration caused him to forget it was illegal is neithre here nor there.

BIG COUNTRY¬!¬!¬!

i picked him from the start but i thought he could lose when Shnaub started throwing big punches after getting back up.
    He is a very good fighter and i am excited to see him fight again.

Shnaub also has a bright future, and in teh heavyweights getting KOd like that could happen to nearly anyone.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:03 pm

BTW Joe Rogan is an idiot, that kind of elbow can be extremely extreeeeeeeemely dangerous.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:12 pm

I must say Kimbo impressed me alot during the fight, his ground game improved alot with ATT in only short space of time.

Please send Kongo and any other guy with zero ground to ATT for a few months. Exclamation
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:26 pm

I don't think Kimbo won, I called it a draw. Houstan won the first easily 10-9. Kimbo won the second 10-8 because Houstan did fuck all. Last round was very close but I think Houstan edged it based on rocking Kimbo. Overall 28-28. Anyway it was a good win for Kimbo and he did look better, still needs to improve that cardio. Id like to see him fight Liddell but thats not happening because Liddell is schelduled to go on TUF 11 against Tito. Joe Silva has to be clever here, he can't give Kimbo some one like Kimbo because he would just rip through him. They should give him some one he can beat like Razak Al Hussain, Cantwell, Justin Wren ect. Then depending on where Liddell is they could make that fight.

Nelson looked good with a flash KO, im pissed off because I wanted Schaub to win. I don't see Nelson being at the level of title contender in the UFC but he can be a very good fighter. Him vs Tusherer next, some one said Tush was considered too good for TUF. Here would be a chance to prove it.

Guys you can't just give Jones the win, he lost by DQ so he can't face tougher opponents. One key skill in MMA is keeping your cool, Jones has shown he can lose it so he doesn't deserve to go up right now. I say rematch, thats the fairest soloution.

No one mentioned Edgar, good win for him. Very close 1st round, possibly with Veach winning. Then Edgar got going and finished. After defeating Sherk i thought they would give him a tough fight, he was meant to fight Pelligrino but he got imnjured. Id like to see Edgar against Joe Daddy Stevenson or Tibau. Veach against Neer.

Awful from big baby, getting KOed by someone like Matt Mitrione.

McSweeney got an impressive win but thats as good as it will get. He doesn't look to big to me, he should move to LHW if he can cut to that. Boy was I wrong about Titties. Mcsweeney has lost to Grove and Al-Turk and he came up as one of the better fighters on the show. Holy shit.

Madsen defeated Wren like a predicted but it was another wierd judge decision. One judge gave it 30-27 Madsen, another 29-28 Wren and the third 29-28 Madsen. Strange times. Madsen is short for HW but Fedor never let that trouble him. At the same time Madsen isn't Fedor. Id like to see Madsen vs Barry.

Stann beat Wallace by UD, good win and predicted. Not sure who next though.

Hallmans return was ruined by the ever improving Howard who KOed him. Howard has now won 3 in a row in the UFC against pretty good competition. Him vs Thiago next.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:34 pm

Kos is fighting Thiago next.

Hamill will be out for a while and i doubt he'll want to get back in the cage with Jones after that ass-kicking. Jones will move up in competition, DQ or no DQ.

Kimbo clearly won the fight. I'd have given it to 30-27. 10-10 first round. 10-8 second round and 10-9 third round. No question.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:42 pm

did anyone else have some weird flashes to classic mma moments last night?

first of all was the KO from Mitrione and as painful as it is to make this comparison, it looked similar to Igor/Bueno.

secondly, the running slam from Veach reminded me of Hughes running slam on Trigg in their second fight.

sticking with Hughes/Trigg, the standing RNC from the first fight!! cheers
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:46 pm

Houstan won the first round easily. Second was 10-8 Kimbo and third was a tossup. Could have gone either way, but the punch that rocked Kimbo should have got Kimbo the draw.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:24 pm

How did Houston easily win the first round?? H ran away for the first 2 minutes! And Kimbo got the better of every exchange and clinch!

Kimbo rocked Alexander a couple of times in the fight. The difference was that Kimbo was smart and backed away after getting caught with the elbow knowing that Houston was too tired to chase him.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:31 pm

Houston came out of the fight looking very poor, he lost and wasnt trying to fight at all, just kept circling till he got dizzy.

Bet you he gets cut from ufc now finally.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:37 pm

I think he'll be kept as a fight filler for Ultimate Fight Nights and Ultimate Finale Nights.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:45 pm

He should be for that awful performance.

Alexander hit the bigger shots and caused more damage, not easily but comfortably 10-9. Bigger shots make it 10-9. Second one was easily Kimbo 10-8 because Alexander did NOTHING. Third was a complete tossup but as I said Alexander rocked Kimbo.

No point arguing about it now, its done. Kimbo has improved, still doesn't look that good and Alexander should be gone now. Lost against Silva, Sandman, Schafer and now Kimbo in his last 5 fights with all 4 losses in the UFC.

Kimbo needs another fight like that, any slight stepup in competition and he will get his ass kicked. Guys like the sandman and Schafer would beat him as well. Id like to see him against McSweeney.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:26 am

Kimbo rocked Alexander in the first round and clearly landed the better shots. Alexander was to bust auditioning for the part of Calib Starnes in The Running Man: This time, he just runs away to do anything. Draw round at worst for Kimbo.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:55 pm

Despite circling and only throwing leg kicks in the first round, I gave the round to Houston feeling that the leg kicks were by far the most significant strike of the round as I don't think Kimbo landed a single clean shot. I can't remember Kimbo rocking him at all. The second round was all Kimbo with him throwing around Houston and dominating him on the ground and was a 10-8 round. The third round was close but the leg kick that put Kimbo down followed by the final flurry by Houston seemed to be enough to give him the round. Plus he had him rocked badly and was close to finishing. Should have been a draw 28-28.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:28 pm

Kimbo scored a takedown in round 3 and got few good shots in, circling around and scoring "leg kicks" i use the term loosely cos they were awful (except for the one that dropped him), means F'all in the judges scorecard.

And nothing happened in the first round for anyone to win should be 10-10, or Kimbo should take it for atleast trying to fight while the other guy was running, and tapping kimbo's knee.

This time the judges picked the right guy to win this one, even a draw would be way too good for houston terrible performance.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:53 pm

Kimbo is piss poor that was the worst performance of Houstons career, I watched it with my brother and he was convinced it was a fix. I wouldnt be too supprised. Houston hasnt fought like that before, he didnt even attack Kimbo when he was Rocked in the 3rd or when he dropped him with the Leg Kick all his punches seemed very controlled and almost purposly bad. He didnt throw any hip into any of those leg kicks... It was a really strange fight. I cant believe how it went down. Maby not a fix but you gotta ask why Houston didnt try and bang with guy that has been KO'd by a jab by Seth P. Houston needs fired.

Kimbo should also be cut, Lets not forget he is a heavy and while muscled Houston isnt the biggest 205er and James Irvin KO'd him in a few seconds. Leaving Kimbo were? Worse than Irvin? Yes. So Why keep him? I want to see both fighers cut. The only fighters who diserve a contract are Schaub and Nelson. The other fighers are all Cage Rage standard at best.

Kimbo has a shit chin, shit standup, shit groundgame... so he pulled off a good slam. should that really earn him a contract after such a crap fight? He gassed and he only fight for 2 rounds, the 1st round no strikes were thrown and no grappling happened. Both C Class fighers. Seriously Randleman would beat him. UFC is just as bad as EliteXC for sucking Kimbos balls... I dont even get him appeal and I cant wait to see him KO'd by the next figher he takes on. No matter who it is they will beat him. Even if its another figher on Houstons level
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:44 am

Funny you should say that, I've been thinking the same thing. Dana clearly needed a Kimbo win for him to justify his contract, and therefore the limitless marketing possibilities for a Kimbo fight.

Alexander has great boxing, but didn't use it. He said something like " we both have respect for each others punching, so we'll hold back". Any chance a few extra $$$ might have encouraged that?
    quicksuperlee
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  quicksuperlee Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:54 pm

my wife instead of pulling the xmas lights plug out of the wall pulled sky plug out of the wall at 01:00 sunday morning..i was at work..therefore no ultimate fighter..her reply to my gasps of disbelief when i got home and noticed this at 7am sunday morn was its just two guys gay wresslin, theres more to life' i didnt reply was imaging my missus in a trangle choke!!!!....

im not happy....still!!!!!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:14 pm

"Seriously Randleman would beat him."

Whats wrong with Randleman? Former champ with loads of big wins, he would always beat Kimbo. Why use him as an example?

Irvin is better than Kimbo as well, The sandman is a decent fighter.

They shouldn't cut him because that would be harsh. He isn't the worse TUF fighter to stick around. They kept Dave Kaplan and Roli Delgado around for a while before losses. IF he losses then ye they should release him but he won. So he gets to stick around for a while yet. He makes a lot of money so they need to squeeze every last dollar out of him.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:08 am