THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

3 posters

Eddie Bravo and the Rubber gaurd.

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Eddie Bravo and the Rubber gaurd. Empty Eddie Bravo and the Rubber gaurd.

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:03 pm

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Eddie Bravo and the Rubber gaurd. Empty Re: Eddie Bravo and the Rubber gaurd.

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:14 pm

I wonder if more people start using using rubber guard if we will see more Gogaplata in MMA. Cool

However in the video they made the point that the rubber guard will be future of MMA, i very much doubt that, the "1994" full and half guard are here to stay!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:06 pm

I think the rubber guard is better suited specifically for MMA. It's a great way of preventing these wrestlers on top from using effective ground and pound.
    It can be used to get the fight standing or if you have the flexability and knowledge it is a great way of getting a sub while recieving minimal damage.

Shinya Aoki used the mission control and New York position from the rubber guard against world class jiu-jitsu fighter Vitor “Shaolin” Ribeiro during their bout at Dream 10 in which Aoki won via unanimous decision.

BJ Penn has openly stated in interviews praising the effectiveness of the rubber guard. Penn used rubber guard in his loss against Georges St. Pierre at UFC 94.

Dustin Hazelett used the rubber guard against Tamdan Mcrory at UFC 91. During the fight, Hazelett used the rubber guard to transition into the omoplata position and submitted Mcrory with an inverted armbar.

Vinny Magalhães is also a big believer in the rubber gaurd.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:16 pm

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:04 am

I think the Rubber guard is the future of BJJ in MMA to be honest. I think because it's designed for No-Gi it's as close to perfect as you can get. There's so much more to it than the ankle grab you see in MMA. In 5 years it'll be far more widely used than it is now. You have to be very flexible to use it though.

Nice to see Eddie giving Judoka's a mention. He's right about posture. You'll never break down a decent Judoka's posture.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 8:09 am