THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+7
George_Louis_Costanza@who
payneNglory1
rudeboyben84
ChelseaQuinsfan
Albion_Oakley
pinsman
Fedorable
11 posters

Armbar Fighter Of The Year.

Poll

Fighter of the Year

[ 2 ]
    Armbar Fighter Of The Year. I_vote_lcap14%Armbar Fighter Of The Year. I_vote_rcap [14%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Armbar Fighter Of The Year. I_vote_lcap21%Armbar Fighter Of The Year. I_vote_rcap [21%] 
    [ 9 ]
    Armbar Fighter Of The Year. I_vote_lcap64%Armbar Fighter Of The Year. I_vote_rcap [64%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Armbar Fighter Of The Year. I_vote_lcap0%Armbar Fighter Of The Year. I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Armbar Fighter Of The Year. I_vote_lcap0%Armbar Fighter Of The Year. I_vote_rcap [0%] 

Total Votes: 14
    Poll closed
    Fedorable
    Fedorable
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Armbar Fighter Of The Year. Empty Armbar Fighter Of The Year.

Post  Fedorable Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:39 pm

What with the upcoming MMA awards I thought it would be nice if we in the Armbar decided who our own Fighter Of The Year was.

Candidates

Fedor Only two fights this year, against Arlovski and Rogers. Both ended in brutal fashion and tribute to Fedor's prowess of beating fighters at their own game.

GSP Again two fights this year, the return match against BJ Penn, and the 5 round mauling of no.1 contender Thiago Alves. GSP has again this year showed his amazing dominance at WW, something which doesn't look like ending soon.

Jose Aldo Four fights this year, 3 of them finished in the first round (including the 8 second flying knee KO of Swanson), followed by the absolute demolition of MTB. Aldo has shown he has the potential to rule the FW division for as long as he likes. A future match up against Faber is going to be awesome for fight fans.

Eddie Alvarez Four fights this year, four wins. The bellator LW champ has been on a tear and is IMO in the top 3 LW's in the world along with Penn and Aoki.

Diego Sanchez Two wins this year over solid ompetition have lifted him up to no.1 contender to BJ Penns throne as LW king in the UFC, add to that the probable FOTY woth Guida and I think he has had a vey solid and impressive year.

These are just my picks if you have any others feel free to add them.

My pick for Armbar Fighter Of the Year is Jose Aldo, he has been so dominant and so entertaining to watch, he finds himself on most P4P lists now, and is only 23!!! Amazing fighter with a huge future. Certianly right up there with Fedor as my favourite fighters.

Thoughts.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Armbar Fighter Of The Year. Empty Re: Armbar Fighter Of The Year.

Post  pinsman Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:48 pm

Although only two fight, both were amazing and still have him as the best thing ever to happen in MMA! LEGEND!!!
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:49 pm

Is this limited to MMA fighters? If no, pacman. If yes, fedor!
    Fedorable
    Fedorable
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Fedorable Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:52 pm

Yeah MMA only for this one.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:14 pm

Fedor then !
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:20 pm

Its got to be Aldo from a HUGE GSP fan, 4 fights, 4 ass kickings and destroyed the man who Faber couldn't touch. I can't see how Fedor could be fighter of the year. Two impressive KOs but he was losing both fights and was in trouble in the second one. Im not saying he isn't a great fighter but based on this year it has to be Aldo. 23 and the new WEC champion.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:28 pm

Fedor is probabally my 2nd or 3rd favorite MMA figher ever but I cant give him figher of the year this Yeah, Aldo stood out winning the title, beating 4 guys, kighlight reel KO and beat a p4p guy going from nowhere to everyones p4p list... id say it was his year!!!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:31 pm

Fighters only didnt have the option to pick him!!! I just went for GSP there becase IMO he is number 2 p4p and diserves some recognition over Anderson Silva!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:37 pm

At the moment it has to be Aldo.

He has destroyed everybody this year,He stopped his first three opponents all in the first rd,earning KO of the night in two of them and then he finishes the year by winning the belt in style,stopping a very good champion in MTB in the 2nd rd,who was on a 10 fight win streak and was in most peoples eyes the best feather weight in the world.

If Diego beats Penn then it's Diego without a doubt.
    Two wins over guys just outside the top 10 in a strong LW division,both of them were fight of the night,(the Guida fight is a good candidate for fight of the year)and to finish the year winning the belt against the best LW in the history of the sport would be an amazing year.
    I think he has a chance against Penn but I wouldn't put my money on it.
    If Diego loses then 2 wins and a loss in 09 is not deserving of fighter of the year.

Alverez won the Bellator LW tournament(though the standard of fighter wasn't great)and has a good win over Kikuno.I personally think Alverez fought better fighters and had better wins in 08 though.

Fedor has two great KO's against two Heavies who again are outside the top 10.Arlovski has been on a downward slide for a while now and Rogers only big win was against a very bad Arlovski.Fedor is only fighting whats in front of him so I don't blame him,but it's not good enough for the GOAT to be fighting these guys,who he should beat.What would people say if Brock's only two fights this year were against say Kongo and Cro-cop and he stopped both of them?would that justify him being fighter of the year or would you say he needs to be beating your,Cains,Nogs,Carwins and JDS's to be fighter of the year?
    I'd say the later.

GSP had a good year but he should beat a much smaller Penn everytime,though his win against Alves,who most of us thought would be a good test for him was a very easy impressive night for GSP and he basicly finished clearing the division out with that win.So an easy win over a highly ranked Alves and a win over the much smaller but great Penn is good but I think he needed another good win against a top 10 Welter to claim fighter of the year.
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:45 pm

Aldo for me but if MTB had beat Aldo I would have gone for MTB also have to mention Whitemare he has had an incredible year.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:10 pm

It would have been easy to give it to Fedor, based on his previous achievements, reputation, and the way he finished Arlovski and Rogers.

But I'm going to have to go with Aldo, just for the dominance he has shown in basically destroying 4 fighters in 4 fights. He will be VERY hard to beat, and with his relatively young age, that could go on for quite a while
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:01 pm

I think it should go to Machida.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:37 pm

I just went for GSP there becase IMO he is number 2 p4p and diserves some recognition over Anderson Silva!

He is definitley at least second IMO. Right now id say he is P4P the best, I don't want to open another discussion on this but since the loss to Serra he has fought the toughest competition. The level of competition he has defeated is incredible but the way he has done it is even more impressive. Since losing a a round to Kos, he has been untouchable. The way you distinguish the quality of a fighter is the quality of opposition and performances against them.

Fedor is the greatest of all time, but GSP is the best right now. IMO. Either way I think its one of these two who are on top right now.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:34 pm

Aldo for sure with Fedor second and GSP in third
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:12 am

I think it is between Aldo and Machida personally, i think Machida should be one of nominees
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:12 am

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Its got to be Aldo from a HUGE GSP fan, 4 fights, 4 ass kickings and destroyed the man who Faber couldn't touch. I can't see how Fedor could be fighter of the year. Two impressive KOs but he was losing both fights and was in trouble in the second one. Im not saying he isn't a great fighter but based on this year it has to be Aldo. 23 and the new WEC champion.

He wasn't losing either fight.

He won the first round against Rogers and neither him or Arlovski had done anything in their fight.

Machida should be in this list. He's my fighter of the year.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:55 pm

"He won the first round against Rogers and neither him or Arlovski had done anything in their fight.

Machida should be in this list. He's my fighter of the year."

Arguable, he could have lost the first round. Toss up, Fedor got the takedowns but Rogers did more damage. Doesn't matter anyway because Fedor ripped his head off.

AA was conecting more, Fedor was never in actual trouble but AA was doing really, really well in that fight.

I agree Machida should be on the list, KOed Silva, KOed Evans and officially won a close fight against Shogun. It could have gone either way but Machida got the benifit of the doubt on THREE judges scorecards. However some people still haven't forgiven him. I honestly don't know who won that but all I can say is I wasn't suprised when they called out Machida's name.

Having said that Aldo still deserves to be fighter of the year, dominated all his opponents and beat a P4P fighter as well.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 10:20 pm