THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
sunthunder
George_Louis_Costanza@who
redmeanie77
Albion_Oakley
rudeboyben84
9 posters

Judges gone mad... again

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Judges gone mad... again Empty Judges gone mad... again

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:07 pm

Machida beats Shogun after landing half the strikes in a fight that cause a lot of controversy... fast forward 1 event and Randy Couture is getting Dropped with Body shots and failing to do much but push Vera into the cage and again picks up a UD win, 1 event on and a judge gives Griffin the nod 30-27.

Boxing has its controversial moments but UFC is quickly catching it up. I remember Joe Rogan saying that aomeone was going for an Kimura and one of the judges asked him "what is he doing" Ill try to find the exact quote but it was something along those lines.

Judges seem to know less about MMA and how it is scored than the average fan, Its about time that either the Judges get educated and tested or that the scoring system is changed. Vera has been on the wrong end of a few calls, The Ref stopping the Werdum fight with a few seconds to go then the Judges giving both Jardin and Couture the nod in fights that could have gone his way... I feel really sorry for the guy!!

Does anyone think UFC will continue to be socred and Judged the way it is? Will someting be done about the Judges? I know Dana has been pretty pissed off at the Judges recently and it seems they are getting it wrong more and more...
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Judges gone mad... again Empty Re: Judges gone mad... again

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:12 pm

http://mmajunkie.com/news/16961/dana-white-shocked-by-ufc-106-judging-says-reform-out-of-his-hands.mma

Theres an Article on MMA junkie saying the same thing!!! They beat me to it!!

Anyway, im honestly going to get an email adress for this Keith Kizer and put a few suggestions to him. As Ive said before I think Judges need to be tested before they are allowed to score fights, Its a simple solution. Score 10 fights and if you cant score they all correctly or 9/10 correstly if the fights are close you shouldnt be allowed to Judge.

Im confident that if you tested the current Judges a lot of them wouldnt get 9 or 10 out of 10.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:04 pm

My main issue is the scoring system. I believe "Octagon Control" should be replaced with "effort to finish the fight" as was in PRIDE.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:15 pm

UFC 105 1st round: Vera lands heavy strikes and kicks at start wobbles Couture, Couture then presses Vera up againsst cage for rest of round landing few short range strikes and wins the round

UFC 106: Forrest out Tito and land more leg kicks then get taken down and Gnp. But Forrest wins the round??

Which is worse getting pressed up against cage or taken down and Gnp'd ???

And we all know what happened at 104, where Shogun landed well more leg kicks than Forrest or Vera put together but Machida won first 3 rounds because "leg kicks dont come close to fininshing fights"??????

I know there where different judges in all these 3 fights but where is the consistency here??????
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:28 pm

Albion_Oakley wrote:My main issue is the scoring system. I believe "Octagon Control" should be replaced with "effort to finish the fight" as was in PRIDE.

Yes mate that makes sence because what the fuck is Octogon Controll? Choosing were the fight takes place? I dont get it... I agree there is room to change the scoring. I think Effort to finish the fight is improtant, this would also discourage lay and pray. I sometimes think that the 10 point must doesnt work, if they want to keep the 10 point must system they need to have the balls to call some rounds a draw and call other rounds 10-8 like the 3rd round of the Tito vs Forrest fight.

Ive heard judges are discouraged from scoring rounds a draw which is a joke. Its corrupt as can be if this is the case. Also I think Judges are worried that people will think they werent paying attention if they score a round a draw. The 10-8 thing is a Joke, You can count the strikes Tito landed in the 3rd on 1 hand... and if that isnt a 10-8 I dont know what is. Again this is a lack of confidence from Judges, in a 3 round fight 10-8s are improtant... Say someone slightly edges the 1st 2 rounds and in the 3rd gets knocked down 5 times, bust open and doesnt land a strike and the Judges show a usual lack of balls and score it 10-9 that means the guy who got dropped over and over again wins!!
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:41 pm

This is a very ignorant rational post fuck you.....leg kicks mean shit Karate all the way fucker ! shit man get over it we got the winners right you know nothing i'm a real bad ass for real yo.
    I have judged and referred many fights did you see my performance in the Santiago Salmon fight (here it is) I am an elite judge & Ref did yo see my cat like reflexesafter the Knock out Big John couldn't do that.... fo real son.

Signed : Sensei Cecil Peoples

Judges gone mad... again 37
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:16 pm

LOL
    Ceec peeps on the armbar! truly an honour!
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:37 pm

I think the 10 point must system can work, it needs judges who know wtf they are doing though. The vast majority of posters here can score fights with more accuracy/consistency than a lot of judges from the athletic commissions.

I also wonder if there's any retroactive changing of round scores to stop draws from happening. For example, by my card, Condit vs Ellenberger should have been a draw, with Ellenberger taking a 10-8 first round and Condit winning rounds 2 and 3 10-9. I wonder if any judges see a draw potentially happening and alter scores for earlier rounds.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:57 pm

I would like it if everyone could see the judges scores inbetween each round.

If every judge was to show their score to the cameras and the audience,I think after a few of them had to face the audiences reactions a few times to often,it would put far more pressure on the judges to get together and make sure they are all on the same page when it comes to scoring,plus it would make it easier to oust the consistantly bad ones.

We see scores at the end but we don't know exactly which rounds the judges gave to which fighter.

I think it would add to the excitment for the audience as well,knowing that your fighter needs a KO in the last round or seeing that whoever takes the last round wins the fight,also this obviously lets the fighter know what he has to do aswell.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:08 pm

I gave it to Tito 29-28, and if I'd been in his corner I'd have told him he had it in the bag after the 2nd round. Tito took no more punishment than Randy or Machida did in their last fights (less than Randy), handed out some brutal takedowns and rearranged Forrest's face with his old school Gn'P, and loses where those other guys won..... it makes no sense at all.

I can't remember a time when questionable refereeing characterised so many big fights in a row.

If Tito can loosen up his stance a bit and doesn't get his skull cracked just before his next fight I think he could be a player again at 205. If he wants to finally get a win over Chuck then now's the time.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:20 pm

i could see it being 4 controversial main events in a row, Sanchez spent most of his career at WW and has never been finished, but he does not have the power to finish BJ (or the submissions).
    He will push the pace for as long as he is in the fight, and that will be an advantage in the later rounds. BJ is more skilled fighter (as always) but Diego is an animal, this one could be close.

(im going for BJ sub btw pirat )
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:33 am

I thought Forrest won the fight comfortably to be honest.

As for Tito's alleged cracked skull, bullshit. Nothing more than bullshit. If he'd have a cracked skull he would not have been allowed to fight.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:29 am