THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
Shanemc
ChelseaQuinsfan
Anfields5thKing
hendos_right_hook
manschesthair_utd
9 posters

(spoilers) Wow! diet Nog and other ufc 106 repurcussions.(edited with gifs!)

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

(spoilers) Wow! diet Nog and other ufc 106 repurcussions.(edited with gifs!) Empty (spoilers) Wow! diet Nog and other ufc 106 repurcussions.(edited with gifs!)

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:38 pm

you might want to give this one a minute!

since no-one else has made a thread about it....

start with the main event;

has anyone in the history of the world ever seen anything move as slow as Tito was last night?
    I was shocked to see how slow he was, striking, and his takedown shoots were totally telegraphed, forrest got his whole body under tito's shot it was so sluggish.
    i have seen loads of the first fight during the build up for this one, and its clear Forrest has a much better ground game now.
    I dont think this win does an awful lot for him, apart from saving him from losing 3 in a row.

co main;

I was rooting for Kos, and it was a great performance, Koscheck has always been a big welterweight, but he was absolutley dwarfed by rumble and credit to him, he was the better grappler and won with a nice finish.

(spoilers) Wow! diet Nog and other ufc 106 repurcussions.(edited with gifs!) Fz7tkk

Next for Kos?
    difficult to say, it appears as though the Hardy/gsp fight will go ahead, they even announced it and gsp came in the octagon and everything during ufc 105. Maybe a Thiago rematch, he talked before about fighting matt hughes, although hughes i beleive is looking for a fight with Renzo Gracie.
    btw tonnes of illegal activity in this fight, what did people think of it?
    (spoilers) Wow! diet Nog and other ufc 106 repurcussions.(edited with gifs!) Jzaxv
    (spoilers) Wow! diet Nog and other ufc 106 repurcussions.(edited with gifs!) 1jxl5l

Thiago/Volkmann

one of the least intimidating fighters i have ever seen is "Christmas" Volkmann but he showed he is a game fighter, and a good grappler, but he also showed he isnt on the level (yet) of a top guy like Thiago.
    (spoilers) Wow! diet Nog and other ufc 106 repurcussions.(edited with gifs!) Mcqcs6
    Paulo Thiago was very impressive, and would have gotten a tko if the round hadnt ended when it did, heavy handed striker, bjj blackbelt, he is here to stay! Swick or Saunders, maybe it is too early for Sadollah to fight him.

(spoilers) Wow! diet Nog and other ufc 106 repurcussions.(edited with gifs!) 2lwagk3

Nogueira/Cane

Nog was never known for his power, but i think being a southpaw vs a southpaw is a recipe for a knockout, he hit him right on the jaw about 4 or 5 times with that left and got the KO, i was really happy, he deserves the recognition/hype that will accompany a kootn.

(spoilers) Wow! diet Nog and other ufc 106 repurcussions.(edited with gifs!) Wbbedd

Sadollah/Baroni

was rooting for the NYBA, he showed he is as tough as they come, but his gas tank appears to have gotten worse since his last strikeforce fight.
    Sadollah looked quite good, although he got hit by many of Phil's punches and (considering his last outing) i was surprised he wasn't hurt more.
    (spoilers) Wow! diet Nog and other ufc 106 repurcussions.(edited with gifs!) Wvwd1e
    1st was close, 2nd and third was dominance from Amir, this fight was scored exactly the same as the much more competitive Volkmann/Thiago btw, i still dont get why they use the 10 point system dammit.

other fights; Davis ws KO'd, nice showing from Saunders, Davis should go back to fighting c level fighters in the UK, no doubt they'll keep him around for the Paddy's day show in dub.

(spoilers) Wow! diet Nog and other ufc 106 repurcussions.(edited with gifs!) 29w4krb

Kendall Grove wins a subnmission, dammit i should never have changed my original picks!!!

(spoilers) Wow! diet Nog and other ufc 106 repurcussions.(edited with gifs!) 66w30l

Good showing from Sotiropolous (sp?) dent is a well rounded fighter and he finished him nice.

(spoilers) Wow! diet Nog and other ufc 106 repurcussions.(edited with gifs!) 34sfas2

havent seen Uno Camoes apparently it was a majority draw.

please comment with your thoughts on ufc 106.

albino

edit: Forgot to say, well done to Brian Foster, Larson is a tough man and he battered him!

(spoilers) Wow! diet Nog and other ufc 106 repurcussions.(edited with gifs!) 2dt2ngm

Last edited by manschesthair_utd on Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

(spoilers) Wow! diet Nog and other ufc 106 repurcussions.(edited with gifs!) Empty Re: (spoilers) Wow! diet Nog and other ufc 106 repurcussions.(edited with gifs!)

Post  hendos_right_hook Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:44 pm

All in all a pretty ok night. Tito after the fight was hilarious, desperately finding excuses. I don't know why but I failed t get excited in any way about this fight, and I'm pretty sure the same will be true for Ortiz Griffin 3, which I think both fighters talked about in post-fight interviews.

On the Hardy/GSP situation, I think UFC should have waited for the outcome of the Kos/Rumble fight, and then a fight between the winners would have been a fair way to decide the challenger. This just seems like another desperate attempt by White to get a British champion/ challenger.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

(spoilers) Wow! diet Nog and other ufc 106 repurcussions.(edited with gifs!) Empty Re: (spoilers) Wow! diet Nog and other ufc 106 repurcussions.(edited with gifs!)

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:54 pm

I bet if Johnson had won and called out Hardy then Dana would have made that fight. Johnson would actually have been more deserving of a shot than Hardy.

Kos deserves a fight with Hardy at the least.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:03 pm

Pissed off about the main event. First 2 rounds were even, Tito easily won the second IMO based on damage and the first was a tossup. 3rd was easily Forrest. Tito needs to work on his condtitoning, go back to when he was a cardio freak. Poor fitness but rust showed here as well, not a terrible first fight but he should have beaten Griffin. Good win for Forrest, where now? Rematch with Shogun? Rampage? Possibly the loser of Silva/Evans. Maybe Lil Nog Or he should be given an easier fight as some form of break because his last fights read:

Ortiz
    Silva
    Evans
    Rampage
    Shogun

Griffin is a tough guy, I like because he always steps up to the plate. I doubt he will take an easier fight because thats just him.

For Tito, Jardine or Cane so he can get back on the winning track then possibly Lil Nog.

Johnson vs Kos kind of went the way I thought. Rumble is overated, don't know why I changed my picks. He has been subbed by LW gatekeeper Rich Clementi. Kos should face Hardy but I doubt it. For Rumble, possibly Mike Swick or Saunders.

Thiago got back on the W colum with a comfortable performance. He proves he is the real deal but now he needs to go back up in competition. Possibly Thiago Alves.

Lil Nog affraid silent Did not expect that. Great win for him. Possibly Griffin next.

For the rest:

Sadohllah should have finished, but he showed he has a decent chin and that the Henricks fight was stopped early. I think he should look for the rematch now.

Rosholt: So dissapointed in him, espected better.

Saunders: Shows Davis is extremely overated. See guys, Hardy beat a guy slightly above a can. Good win for Saunders, Maybe Sadohallah next.

Sotiropulous continues to impress, maybe Nick Osipzcak next.

Foster dominates Larson. Is it just me or is Larson proving to be a massive flop in the UFC? He lost the first round 10-7 because of detucted points and then gets finished. He had shuch hype going into the UFC. Also shows Condit is overated.

Uno also flops again, against a reletively unknown he only scraped a draw because of a point detuction.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:54 pm

am i the only one who thinks kos doesnt deserve a title shot thats only his second win in a a row he was tko'd by thiago a few months ago and hardy deserves the shot more because his 4 win maybe not the very best in the division are all quality wins against good fighters and would give gsp more trouble than kos as i see that fight going the same way as the first just more dominating for gsp and stopping kos
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:54 pm

i dont think Kos should get a shot (before hardy), i agree with you.

It isnt about the champ sitting on the sidelines bored whilst the rest of division have eliminators to decide the number 2 in the division and worthy contender.

they are all worthy contenders, just feed them to GSP one at a time!
    and Hardy deserves the shot before Koscheck, who has won 2 in a row and has already lost to GSP. Very Happy

give him another fight in the mean time.
    Paddyjock
    Paddyjock
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paddyjock Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:29 pm

My simplistic view on it is if you are the Champ then you should fight whoever the promotion puts infront of you. If that person happens to beat the champ no matter how worthy or unworhty they were of getting the shot then they deserve to be champ. If the champ can't beat someone who people believe wasn't the no. 1 contender then thats too bad for the champ!!

In a nutshell as long as the champ is fit to fight he just keeps fighting other people in his division. You can't have the same guy challenge the champ all the time. Hardy maybe isn't the no.1 contender but I believe its his turn.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:38 pm

I thought Tito was poor and I can't believe I started buying into his prefight hype.
    I thought this was supposed to be a completely injury free,been though the best training camp,100% Tito.
    Then He loses and goes back on what he was saying and makes excuse after excuse,the guy is a dick.
    Freddie Roach has done sweet FA to improve him as a fighter,if anything that was one of the worse Tito Ortiz I've seen.
    I think the MMA talent has caught up with him and now surpassed him,he's just going to become a big name gate keeper or maybe a fight against some of the old guys of the division might appeal to me,though saying that Randy and Chuck have allready destroyed him so that probably only leaves Coleman.I have zero interest in seeing a third fight between him and Forrest.

I don't care for Koshcheck at all but there is no denying,that was a very good performance and I can't say Rumble ever had him in any real trouble.The size differance was massive,but Kosh proved without a shadow of a doubt why he is recognised as one of the best wrestlers in MMA.
    I glad Kos didn't cheat and take the easy win after that knee to the arm,I think credit should go to Yamasaki for trying his best to make sure that didn't happen.
    I don't think this fight deserved fight of the night though,nor do I think Kos should of got Sub of the night.
    Hardy for me still deserves his shot first over Kos,I think the real reason Kos called out Hardy was because Hardy beat his team-mate Swick and not because Hardy is first in line.

I was expecting an easy night and early finish for Thiago but Volkmann put up a good fight,I mean don't get me wrong the gulf of talent between them was still big but Volkmann proved himself as a game fighter with descent cardio and he was never intimidated by his opponent,he's earned the right for more fights in the UFC.
    Thiago needs a bigger name or a far more impressive win to get fully back on track though.

What an introduction to the UFC Lil Nog made and I was chuffed to bits for him.Once he found that left hand the first time,he just couldn't miss after.Very neat boxing skills,everything he threw looked crisp and tidy.Though that was not the Cane any of us have seen so far,he looked scared and seemed to be constantly on the back foot,he made no effort to try and defend that left even after the same punch landed in exactly the same spot over and over again.I hope Lil Nog goes on to do well in the UFC.

I enjoyed the Baroni/Sadollah fight but then again even though we all knew roughly how this fight would go,I still like watching Baroni throw down,even his loses are usally classics.
    Phil's a really tough guy. Tons of heart. He's incredibly entertaining, always brings it, you can't ever fault his willingess to engage or fighting spirit and he always makes for a good fight but unfortunately he's too predictable. He's just not on that level in terms of skill,cardio or any sort of variety in his game.Sadollah showed a great chin in the first rd which was very close but from the start of rd 2 till the end,Sadollah was just a class above Baroni and easily won those rds.I'd of gave this as fight of the night personally.

Saunders deserved KO of the night with that devastating KO of Davis.
    Saunders may not looked very good against Swick but man if that guy gets you in a clinch then you are in trouble,It makes me wonder if he was not in it mentally when he fought Swick.At 6'3 in the 170lb division he has all the weapons and power to be a success and I'm really looking forward to where he goes from here.

Grove and Stropodopolus both pulled out good subs but I thought Stropo's was the best of the night by far and deserved Sub of the night.It was technicly brilliant and to be fair to him he looked good on his feet also,Stropodopolus impressed me and is another one I'm looking forward to see fight again.

Most one sided beatdown of the night though was deffinately the whooping Foster put down on Larson,it was a beating from start to finish,he made Larson quit with some evil punishment.Also I thought it was very clever and showed good cage experiance to make sure Foster still had a hand on the deck before Larson started throwing knees.
    What happened to the Brock Larson from the WEC?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:49 am

I agree give Hardy his shot, Kos has been there and lost already and GSP cant afford to sit about waiting on someone being a clear cut number 1. I say Give Kos a fight with Paul Daley.

I know Brock Larson looked completley out of his depth! My BRother was scoring the 1st round 10-8 before the point deductions... After the 2 point deductions Rogan had it 10-7 but I can see how it was 10-6!!! really poor showing from the guy I though would win!!

Quality performance by Ben Saunders... I think he is one of the most entertaining fighers, when he mauled Wolfe with some of the best Muay thai in the devision I though he was a future star and tipped him to beat Swick! I thought davis would win here but glad to see Saunders win... I think the Swick fight was just an off night I really think Saunders can make it to the top of 170... maby not champ but I can see him getting to top 3. Look at what he did to Davis compared to Hardy. I cant wait to see him fight again, Quality Knockout. Really really impressive Clintch work.

Nog was the best showing of the night. When I was watching the Buildup I though Oh shit Cane is a real tough banger and worried for Nog who is one of my favorite fighters but he showed why he is one of the top dogs at 205... that Jab Right Hook combo was beautiful. Nogs Standup is awsome and his Groundgame is probabally his Strength!!! What a figher, I really hop he gets forrest next.

Ive only watched Tito vs Forrest once but I think he 1st round was a draw 2nd round Tito 3rd round was a 10-8 to Forrest so I had him a point ahead. Good Showing by Forrest, I really had lost my faith in him but he showed great defence on the ground and stopped Tito inflicting damage. Forrest will always have Chin issues but Titos Boxing was shite despite training in the wildcard Gum, his standup didnt look improved at all. I think a 3rd match is needless... Tito isnt top 15 despite a close performance and Forrest is top 5, its on to bigger and better things for Forrest, Tito needs to earn a reamatch IMO.

Kos and Rumble was a very strange fight, Im not sure what to think, Kos quite impressed me, the guy is a real dislikable Prick and came across as one in his interview after the fight, Paulo Thiago KO;d him and won on the same card but he wasnt calloing for the Shot. and what happened with his "Eye poke" then he hit Rumble with 2 eyepokes!! really weird fight I wish we could have seen it play out without the fouls and seen what would have happened.
    George_Louis_Costanza@who
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:17 am

Good weekend of fights but i really felt 106 lacked a real Main Event it was akin to a FIGHT NIGHT CARD.

Tito looked awful i can not believe i brought in to his hype.....again his days are numbered as a top contender he will become the next gatekeeper of LHW (which will anger the Techno Viking Laughing ).

Lost a lot of respect for Kos after his behaviour after being hit in the forearm it stunk of desperation his "eye injury" then the repeated eye pokes after the fight resumed and AJ gassing out badly seem to condemn him to defeat.

AJ looked good up until Kos's "performance" but looked heavily gassed in the 2ND he needs to move up to 185 as he hasn't got the body to make 170.

Lil Nog looked phenomenal what a performance !
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:28 am

Yeah that massive weight cut surely would effect his stamina even against Yoshida he looked like he better have finished him in the 1st!! the thing is at 220 walking around weight he would still be a bog 185er. I think your right the extra stamina would certainly help his game although I think this fight may have played out differently if it want for Kos' "Tactics"

I forgot to say about Amir and Baroni!! What a fight! im supprised that didnt get FOTN, It was a war, Baroni has 0 gas tank. Which is a real shame but he made a real fight of it, he was constantly throwing short punches when Amir had him in the clintch and ate so many punches kicks and elbows and didnt look dazed, Amir had real solid Muay Thai I would like to see him fight Ben Saunders and Marcus Davis fight Phil Baroni... That would work nicley. Two Muay Thai fighters coming off wins, Two punches coming off losses. You know both fights wouldnt fail to entertain... Has Baroni been on the sunbeds or what!! for a white guy he sure has a healthy tan!!! Laughing Still a big fan of his but that gas tank is terrible, not to critisize professional athlets but I dont get how they gas after 10 mins, Ive sparred for a lot longer and love a belly and I dont puff so bad... I really dont get how a conditioned athlete cant go longer than 10 mins. Baroni's 1 dimentionalness isnt his worst factor his cardio is shocking.... and seems to have gotten worse!
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:39 am

Yeah Baroni vs Sadlloah was great although Baroni hasn't got the Gas Tank (i won't say anymore has he never has had one) he can still entertain it was a big win for Amir he really needed that win and did look impressive.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:19 pm

I wonder if Baroni will be cut though? UFC isnt the most forgiving of guys who are on a loosing spree and Baroni is on one big time!! I think he could be a solid Gatekeeper, Someone to test if young up and commers at 170 can survive a round of hell. I dont think he will ever sort out his gas tank but I really do think that Marcus Davis coming off 2 straight losses like Baroni they would match up well.... Or maby a fight with Frank Trigg to see who stays in UFC.

glad Amir got the win, I was sad to see him KO'd in his last fight, He seems a really cool character and always puts on a show. That Leg kicks that nearly snapped Baronis leg in half was perfect! He really is a good young figher... Maby Saunders would be too big a test for him but the 170lbs devision is the devision were it seems anyone can beat anyone, other devisions seem to have a more set pecking order but the 170devision is full of upsets these days.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:38 pm

the knee/eye poke really confused me!

first i thought that the ref called a time out because of the illegal knee,
    then i thought that his knee hit him in the eye,
    then i thought that his knee hit his arm and Kos was faking an eye injury (even though he didnt need to, the knee was still illegal),
    then i thought that he fingerr poked him after the knee,
    then another angle showed that he didnt in fact poke him, i thought KOS IS CHEATING!!,
    then i saw how his eye was swollen and i thought "what the fuck...."
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:53 pm

Laughing yeah mate that was my though process as well... Shame Rumble took 2 eyepokes as well!!! fight was a mess!! I wish we had of seen it play out without them...

Tell me this why dont you like Rumble? Are you a Kos fan or just liked him over Rumble? Have to say your cleaning house on these predictions, Youve got the most right (Im convincing myself thats most improtant because im tied 2nd on picking the winner!)
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:07 pm

Quality performance by Ben Saunders... I think he is one of the most entertaining fighers, when he mauled Wolfe with some of the best Muay thai in the devision I though he was a future star and tipped him to beat Swick! I thought davis would win here but glad to see Saunders win... I think the Swick fight was just an off night I really think Saunders can make it to the top of 170... maby not champ but I can see him getting to top 3. Look at what he did to Davis compared to Hardy. I cant wait to see him fight again, Quality Knockout. Really really impressive Clintch work.

Exactly my thinking. I picked him to beat Swick as well and I picked him to lose to Davis. I guess we haven't figured him out yet but either way he is an exciting young fighter. Who do you think is next for him?

Larson was horrible, 10-6 could have been a possibility he was that poor. First he lost to the fairly unknown Mike Pierce and now he got his ass kicked by a guy who got his kicked by Rick Story, who got his ass kicked by John Hatahway. Not sure he should be kept around, maybe him vs Baroni.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:13 am