THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+7
The_Axe_Emperor
payneNglory1
2brutal
redmeanie77
efils_god
Anfields5thKing
Sheldan
11 posters

UFC 129: St Pierre VS Shields - Includes Weigh In Results + Gifs

Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 129: St Pierre VS Shields - Includes Weigh In Results + Gifs Empty UFC 129: St Pierre VS Shields - Includes Weigh In Results + Gifs

Post  Sheldan Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:57 pm

With this set to be the biggest event in UFC history, I think that it is only right that we build up to the occasion. This card is stacked from top to bottom, and for the first time ever we can watch every single fight from the event as every preliminary fight other than the TV prelims will air on Facebook. We have a preliminary card that pits Canada against USA in each bout, including two high profile bouts in Sean Pierson VS Jake Ellenberger, and Nate Diaz VS Rory MacDonald - any other card and these fights would have been on the main card. Then we head to the main card where we perhaps see the biggest WEC VS UFC bout to date, as former WEC lightweight champion Ben Henderson takes on the very underrated Mark Bocek. Then in what appears to be his retirement match, Randy Couture will enter the Octagon for one last time as he takes on former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Lyoto Machida. Through in another Light Heayvweight battle between Vladimir Matyushenko and Jason Brilz, and then we head to the two title bouts, Toronto native Mark Hominick facing top pound for pound fighter UFC Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo. Then in the main event, BJJ specilist Jake Shields faces off against UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre, all infront of a 55,000 strong crowd at the Rogers Centre in Toronto.

Regarding the main event, the big question is whether or not Shields can get GSP down to the mat, if he is able to do so, GSP will have to use every trick in his arsenal to try and avoid being put in a position where he can fall victim to a submission. Not many people are backing Shields in this fight, where I feel this fight is possibly GSP's toughest for a very long time, if Shields can get GSP down even once, it could be all over. I think this fight may be the first in a while that sees GSP get a stoppage, if he is able to use his wrestling to keep the fight standing, his stand up is good enough to trouble somebody like Shields, who is well known to not have the greatest hands and chin in the business. I'm going for a GSP TKO in the 3rd round, but it could go either way.

The action starts live on Facebook at around 11:00PM and it's then over to ESPN for the televised prelims at 1:00AM before the main card starts at 2:00AM.

Last edited by Sheldan on Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

UFC 129: St Pierre VS Shields - Includes Weigh In Results + Gifs Empty Re: UFC 129: St Pierre VS Shields - Includes Weigh In Results + Gifs

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:18 am

GSP and his powderpuff punches are not stopping anyone. GSP hasn't stopped anyone since he beat up Matt Serra 3 years ago. Look at the list of people Shields has beaten who have far more power than GSP(Daley, Condit, Kampmann, Lawlor, Hendo) and none have stopped him, only Hendo came close. He hasn't been stopped in 11 years. I am absolutely baffled by your statement that Shields is known to not have a great chin! Completely baseless nonsense.

Besides, GSP fights to win decisions. He doesn't finish fights. And since GSP's favourite style, the ground and slap offense will leave him in trouble against Shields who's levels above him as a grappler, GSP is going to have to jab and run like he did against Koscheck.

I think Shields can win this. He's tougher, mentally much stronger, bigger, stronger, better on the ground and has no pressure on him. He's got good enough takedowns to get GSP down IMO. I do enjoy people talking about GSP's "wrestling" as if it's of some incredible standard. The guy as excellent takedowns, his overall wrestling is of a fairly average standard.

I'm predicting a bad night for Dana's boys(Randy and GSP) and for Canadians in general, Diaz, Ellenberger, Henderson, Machida, The Janitor, Aldo and Shields to win.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 129: St Pierre VS Shields - Includes Weigh In Results + Gifs Empty Re: UFC 129: St Pierre VS Shields - Includes Weigh In Results + Gifs

Post  Sheldan Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:03 am

Perhaps I worded it wrongly, what I meant is that his hands and chin are certainly the weakest part of his game, he'll want to get GSP down to the mat as quickly as he can, and won't want to stand with GSP, because powderpuff punches or not, those shots do damage...

UFC 129: St Pierre VS Shields - Includes Weigh In Results + Gifs Josh-koscheck-eye

I honestly think GSP is going to get the stoppage here, there is going to be close to 55,000 Canadians cheering for GSP and I think he's going to be close to as motivated as he was for the Serra fight, he'll go in to this fight knowing that if he wants to be considered as having any chance against Anderson he needs to get the stoppage, something that he hasn't perhaps needed to do in his last few fights.

I agree with you that Canadians are going to have a rough night, although I have MacDonald getting a decision over Diaz. Couture though I think will sadly end his career with a knockout loss to The Dragon.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:34 am

I did have a thought that GSP might get a stoppage here, but i'm not sure he'll fully commit to his stand-up attack, for fear of getting taken down.

Honestly, he couldn't stop Koscheck even though he shouldn't have feared him on the ground and should not have been holding back.

That said i dunno if Shields can take him down.

I'm torn between a GSP jab jab UD, or an early-ish Shields sub.

Otherwise, i have Aldo to win a TKO, Brilz to get a UD, Diaz to sub or UD MacDonald, Ellenberger to UD Pierson despite being a last minute replacement, and Machida to stop Randy, with his retirement announced afterwards.

Should be a great event!
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:38 am

Actually i could see GSP getting a stoppage if Shileds gets too eager shooting for takedowns and GSP cracks him with a knee ala GSP/Hughes
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:07 pm

You dont need knockout power to get a stoppage. GSP jabbed against Koscheck not becos he was worried of takedown but mainly due to Koscheck big right hand that could have hurt GSP. No such worries against Shields as GSP is levels and levels above him in striking, and i cant see Shields taking GSP down.

I also dont think GSP will be afraid to get Shields down at all. I see Shields getting his ass kicked ala Fitch all over the cage this saturday night.

And from the undercard i think the canadians will do quiet well there, i dont see them loosing substanially, it will probably end up being close to even.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:49 pm

i have gone gsp late stoppage last few fights i fancy it again here although rekon it will be a ud,
    shields has good takedowns he dominated hendo in that area and hendo is both bigger and a higher level wrestler, but lets face it he didnt sub hendo did he now dont get me wrong gsp is not as good at bjj as shields is but shields will need to be on top imo to realy threat with subs, i dont see him being like nate diaz and others who are dangerous with subs of their backs with triangles etc

machida couture i fancy machida here either tko or ud randy could pose an awkward style for machida though so i wouldnt be suprised to see a couture ud

aldo tko for me although i like hominick should be a good scrap if it lasts a few

matyushenko brilz is a close one for me ive not made my mind up here brilz did well against lil nog last time out

henderson by ud i rekon although bocek suprised me last time submitting mclovin so who knows in this one

ellenberger ud

the fight im most looking foward to is mcdonald v diaz and i rekon the underdog mcdonald will win either tko in the 2nd or 3rd or ud
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:24 pm

Watch out for Makdessi in the prelims aswell. He was amazing in his debut fight.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:12 pm

Sheldan wrote:Perhaps I worded it wrongly, what I meant is that his hands and chin are certainly the weakest part of his game, he'll want to get GSP down to the mat as quickly as he can, and won't want to stand with GSP, because powderpuff punches or not, those shots do damage...

UFC 129: St Pierre VS Shields - Includes Weigh In Results + Gifs Josh-koscheck-eye

I honestly think GSP is going to get the stoppage here, there is going to be close to 55,000 Canadians cheering for GSP and I think he's going to be close to as motivated as he was for the Serra fight, he'll go in to this fight knowing that if he wants to be considered as having any chance against Anderson he needs to get the stoppage, something that he hasn't perhaps needed to do in his last few fights.

I agree with you that Canadians are going to have a rough night, although I have MacDonald getting a decision over Diaz. Couture though I think will sadly end his career with a knockout loss to The Dragon.

A broken orbital bone caused by a jab. Orbital bone is very fragile, doesn't take much to break it. No other damage.

Shields's hands aren't the best, but his chin is great.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:15 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:

You dont need knockout power to get a stoppage. GSP jabbed against Koscheck not becos he was worried of takedown but mainly due to Koscheck big right hand that could have hurt GSP. No such worries against Shields as GSP is levels and levels above him in striking, and i cant see Shields taking GSP down.

I also dont think GSP will be afraid to get Shields down at all. I see Shields getting his ass kicked ala Fitch all over the cage this saturday night.

And from the undercard i think the canadians will do quiet well there, i dont see them loosing substanially, it will probably end up being close to even.

Against top fighters with good chins, yes you do. GSP didn't want to wrestle Kos because he would have been owned and the myth about his wonderful wrestling would have been shattered.

GSP spends substantial time on the ground with Shields, he gets subbed.

The Canucks might win the bum fights on the undercard but who cares. The main fights will all go against them.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:39 pm

Pros Picking St. Pierre: 43
    Pros Picking Shields: 5
    No Pick: 4

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=6423797
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:13 pm

What's the odds of Shields KOing Georges? Laughing
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:11 am

No prizes for guessing who I'm going with Very Happy

I think GSP should win this, he's far better standing and has enough takedown defence to keep the fight standing where he should pick SHields apart for a late stoppage or an easy lop-sided decision.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:12 pm

Weird to say in this fight but Its almost Stiker vs Grappler.... Shields is the only Ww in the world I reckon that can outgrapple GSP, similar wrestling but much much better BJJ.

On GSP's side Shields cant strike for Shit. guy trains with Gil and the Diaz brothers and still cant strike.

GSP might find himself the less powerfull fighter which is rare, so I think if this one finishes inside the distance Shields bulls him over and Subs him from top position... but I thinik GSP is a lot faster and with so much better striking he should be able to take a pretty decisive UD, maby 4-1
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:42 pm

First time GSP has faced anyone bigger than him as well.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:12 pm

Rekon gsp will dominate this one similar to the fitch fight, I doubt that shields size will count but you never know he man handled Olympic Greco Henderson, rory v diaz will be a good fight fotn I rekon, I keep changing my mind about the matyushenko fight and the bocek one though
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:58 pm

Weigh In Results:

Champ Georges St-Pierre (169.5) vs. Jake Shields (169) - for welterweight title

UFC 129: St Pierre VS Shields - Includes Weigh In Results + Gifs Gsp

Champ Jose Aldo (145) vs. Mark Hominick (145) - for featherweight title

UFC 129: St Pierre VS Shields - Includes Weigh In Results + Gifs ALDO

Randy Couture (203.5) vs. Lyoto Machida (204.5)

UFC 129: St Pierre VS Shields - Includes Weigh In Results + Gifs RANDY

Jason Brilz (204.5) vs. Vladimir Matyushenko (205.5)

UFC 129: St Pierre VS Shields - Includes Weigh In Results + Gifs VALD

Mark Bocek (155) vs. Ben Henderson (156) - Henderson Made Weight At 2nd Attempt After Weighing 156.5 Pounds.

UFC 129: St Pierre VS Shields - Includes Weigh In Results + Gifs BEN

Nate Diaz (171) vs. Rory MacDonald (170.5)

UFC 129: St Pierre VS Shields - Includes Weigh In Results + Gifs NATE

Jake Ellenberger (170) vs. Sean Pierson (170)

UFC 129: St Pierre VS Shields - Includes Weigh In Results + Gifs JAKE

Claude Patrick (169.5) vs. Daniel Roberts (170.5)

UFC 129: St Pierre VS Shields - Includes Weigh In Results + Gifs ROBERTS

Ivan Menjivar (136) vs. Charlie Valencia (135.5)

UFC 129: St Pierre VS Shields - Includes Weigh In Results + Gifs IVAN

Jason MacDonald (185) vs. Ryan Jensen (185)

UFC 129: St Pierre VS Shields - Includes Weigh In Results + Gifs JASON

John Makdessi (155.5) vs. Kyle Watson (155)

UFC 129: St Pierre VS Shields - Includes Weigh In Results + Gifs KYLE

Pablo Garza (145) vs. Yves Jabouin (146)

UFC 129: St Pierre VS Shields - Includes Weigh In Results + Gifs YVES
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:54 pm

Is there going to be anybody on chat box tonight ?

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:17 pm

i think the online fights start at 11pm right? sure ill probably be on for those
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:38 pm

Yeah 6pm for me,so 11 for you guys.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:03 pm

I'll be on, UFC UK twitter said the fights started at 10 but I thought it was 11 too, might be worth checking just incase.
    BJJHunter
    BJJHunter
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  BJJHunter Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:41 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:First time GSP has faced anyone bigger than him as well.

I think that could be the difference in this fight.
    I really want Shields to pull the upset even though I don't believe in it.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:01 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:Is there going to be anybody on chat box tonight ?

I will be making my long awaited return to chatbox tonight.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:27 am