THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

2 posters

Aldo gets 155lbs Shot with win over Pettis

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Aldo gets 155lbs Shot with win over Pettis Empty Aldo gets 155lbs Shot with win over Pettis

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:24 pm

Good for the UFC. Aldo was upset a fighter with 0 fights at 145lbs would walk into a title shot.

IMO he had earned a shot at a title, just because it wasnt the 155lbs one shouldnt matter.

But I understand Aldo, if he can beat the guy next in line for the 155 Belt he should take his spot.

Looks like Aldo could be the man to take 2 belts. Pettis is the best fighter across the 2 devisions I reckon, Id back him over Bendo and Melendez at 155 and everyone but Aldo at 145... and im not 100% Aldo is winning. If he does Im hoping its Melendez who holds the title by then.

If Aldo takes out the toughest guy in 2 devisions I think he is taking 2 titles and becoming the 2nd guy to do so in MMA History. (Well in Major organisations anyway)

Where would Aldo holding the 155lbs belt leave him in p4p rankings? Above Jones surely? GSP too possibly? It would be great to see if GSP could strip down and meet him at 155.

BRING ON MORE SUPERFIGHTS!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Aldo gets 155lbs Shot with win over Pettis Empty Re: Aldo gets 155lbs Shot with win over Pettis

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:15 pm

Pettis hasn't earned a shot at 145. Of course it matters that he hasn't fought in that weight class!

It would not be great at all to see GSP vs Aldo at 155. It'd be a shambles. That's like saying it'd be great to see GSP fight Jones at 185.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Aldo gets 155lbs Shot with win over Pettis Empty Re: Aldo gets 155lbs Shot with win over Pettis

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:44 pm

Anfield whats your Ideas on people moving devisions and where they are in that pecking order?

Few Examples, would you be cool with Anderson jumping in front of everyone at 205 or 170 for a shot at the title?

GSP doing it at 155 or 185?

Im guessing its ok for the Champ to be at it? Im 100% Behind Aldo's shot. I love the balls on a fighter trying to be the 1st in UFC to Hold 2 at the same time.

So its just a number 1 contender in another devision it isnt cool with? Belfort and Sonnen sure didnt earn theirs so we have seen much worse examples and Pettis has earned a title shot at 155 twice over as well as having beat the Champ. Im cool with it but I understand its a kick in the stones for established 145ers, though is anyone really telling themselves that Lamas or KZ are better than Pettis? Id back him to win myself so thats why im cool with it I suppose.

Id like to see Pettis have the same balls should he win this to ask for a 155lbs Title fight. Im all for the Idea of a 2 weight Champ. MM could be another who might have a crack at it, he was undersized at 135 but didnt do half bad. Barao and Cruz are the only 2 in his way right now.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:26 pm

Anderson's fought 3 times at LHW though. He's also the reigning champion at 185. I wouldn't have a problem with a champion moving divisions and getting a title shot, especially if they've already fought at the other weight class in the UFC.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see Pettis vs Aldo at 145 but I'd want to see Pettis fight maybe Swanson at 145 first and earn the shot.

Belfort and Sonnen most definitely didn't earn or deserve their shots! They weren't even number 1 contenders at 185 before moving. Sonnen was prob still number 2 at MW but he wasn't the number 1 contender, Weimann was/is. Belfort was just a ridiculous decision by the UFC. Possibly to give Jones an easy fight after he made himself look like a coward by turning down Sonnen on short notice.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:56 pm

OK What About Melendez, say 6 months ago he would have said he was going to 145, would you have an issue with him taking a 14lbs Title shot? The lines are blurred crossing devisions but Pettis has a title shot coming to him and I dont see 145lbs as a stronger devision so im cool with it, totally understand 145ers being pissed off but its not like there was 1 strong contender people were calling to beat Aldo.

Sounds like Dana White would expect Aldo to stay at 155? Did I hear that wrong or is he not on board with a 2 weight champ?

Barao said he would go to 145 if Aldo went to 155.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:10 pm

Melendez would have needed at least one fight against a top contender before getting a title shot if he'd dropped to 145 for me.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:21 am