THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+6
Mryzyz
Anfields5thKing
Once Mohawked Pete
payneNglory1
Cowboys From Hell
rudeboyben84
10 posters

155lbs devision's contenders after this weekend

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

155lbs devision's contenders after this weekend Empty 155lbs devision's contenders after this weekend

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:42 pm

So Edgar isnt getting a rematch, Nate Diaz is up against Bendo next. Thats great, I think he diserved the fight over Edgar anyway.

So where doesnt that leave everyone else. My bet is that Edgar could walk into a title figth with Aldo at 145 and I think thats what he is going to do.

That leaves Cerrone or Maynard to fight Pettis who I think is probabally the closest after Diaz to a title shot.

The one wild card is Deigo Sanchez. The guy was never a Ww and like Nate underperformed because he was undersized. I believe Diego can get to the top of that devision. Id love to see him fight Cerrone myself and have Maynard fight Pettis...

Thoughts?
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

155lbs devision's contenders after this weekend Empty Re: 155lbs devision's contenders after this weekend

Post  Cowboys From Hell Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:42 pm

Thank god Edgar isn't getting a re match the Division seems very lively currently Bendo v Diaz, Cerrone v Pettis and the likes of Maynard and maybe the winner of Castillo v Johnson in the mix the division looks healthy. As for Edgar I think the ideal first fight at 145 would be The Korean Zombie for the right to fight Aldo Cool
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

155lbs devision's contenders after this weekend Empty Re: 155lbs devision's contenders after this weekend

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:38 pm

Cowboys From Hell wrote:Thank god Edgar isn't getting a re match the Division seems very lively currently Bendo v Diaz, Cerrone v Pettis and the likes of Maynard and maybe the winner of Castillo v Johnson in the mix the division looks healthy. As for Edgar I think the ideal first fight at 145 would be The Korean Zombie for the right to fight Aldo Cool

Zombie vs Edgar is a mouthwatering fight!

Looks like Pettis is happy enough to fight Cerrone! IF he looses again he will be the unluckiest guy in UFC! I reckon he would do cowboy in though, I hope we see Diaz vs Pettis for the title down the line.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:58 pm

Frankie should be holding that belt at the moment for me,It was a close fight,so I'm not claiming it was a huge controversial decision,but I personally thought Frankie won it.
    I don't see why he has to drop,maybe it would be a great move for him or maybe his speed won't be as effective for him at FW.

While he is currently handling himself comfortably against the best LW's and he has a good chance at beating anyone of them,maybe FW isn't a must move for him.

Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:00 pm

Yeah, for me, whilst I would like to see Aldo vs Edgar, I still think that Edgar could regain the title at LW. For me, he won this fight, although as Payne said, it was close. I had Bendo winning the 1st and 3rd, with Edgar winning the rest. With regards to LW division, I once thought that Sanchez was the only guy in the division that could threaten Penn, and even though I was proven wrong there, I could still see him being a threat. I like the Cerrone/Pettis match up, if I'm honest, and I'd like to see Sanchez vs Maynard, with the winners matching up to face winner of Bendo/Diaz.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:07 pm

Edgar's not going to get another shot for a long time at 155 so he should just go down to 145 and get beat up by Aldo.

Rogan's commentary on Saturday was disgraceful. For 9 minutes and 30 seconds from the opening bell in the 4th round until 30 seconds left in the 5th, Rogan did not acknowledge a single strike landed from Henderson. His bias towards Edgar was ridiculous. Not the first time either. Personally I had Henderson winning the 1st, 3rd and 4th. Edgar won the second on the basis of the knock down although Henderson controlled a lot of that round. Edgar's submissions attempts were hopeless, he really shouldn't be credited for those. Happy to see Edgar lose a close fight after being the recipient of two huge gifts against BJ and Maynard.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:14 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:Edgar's not going to get another shot for a long time at 155 so he should just go down to 145 and get beat up by Aldo.

Rogan's commentary on Saturday was disgraceful. For 9 minutes and 30 seconds from the opening bell in the 4th round until 30 seconds left in the 5th, Rogan did not acknowledge a single strike landed from Henderson. His bias towards Edgar was ridiculous. Not the first time either. Personally I had Henderson winning the 1st, 3rd and 4th. Edgar won the second on the basis of the knock down although Henderson controlled a lot of that round. Edgar's submissions attempts were hopeless, he really shouldn't be credited for those. Happy to see Edgar lose a close fight after being the recipient of two huge gifts against BJ and Maynard.

I have actually stopped listening to the commentary TBH mate, Rogan pisses me off too much. I tend to watch the fights, with the volume turned off, and just have music playing. I understand where you are coming from, with regards to Edgars submission game, although I just had him edging 4 and 5 on volume of work, and as you say, Bendo was winning the 2nd, until the knock down. With regards to the Maynard fights, there was a very strong case for the first being stopped, but in both fights, even though Maynard should have won, Edgar still has to be given some credit for his durability?
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:35 pm

I would like to see Maynard v Edgar IV

They're 1-1-1 so there is a need for a resolution.

Don't want to see Edgar walk into an undeserved title shot at 145lbs, and it doesn't look like he will be allowed to either, thankfully. If he does opt to move down to featherweight Chad Mendes would be the best opponent for him, It would a more relevant and interesting matchup than the KZ.

Nate Diaz v Bendo is one of my most anticipated fights since Nick Diaz v Condit.

Hopefully it turns out to be at least a little bit better than a depressing anti-climax that drains my enthusiasm for the sport for several months.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:24 pm

Henderson winning has opened the door for Maynard to get another shot, and although more unlikely, possibly a motivated BJ Penn to return to LW. There was no way he'd get a shot at the title if Edgar was still champ.

I would make the following match ups:

Diaz vs Henderson
    Pettis vs Cerrone for number one contender...

Then Maynard vs either Sherk or Sanchez or even Paul Sass if he beats Wiman.
    Then with the likes of TJ Grant, Evan Dunham, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Castillo and Johnson, There is a list of solid contenders in this division.

I hope Edgar moves down to FW and has a number one contender fight with KZ before facing Aldo.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:26 pm

Edgar staying at 155, Bad move I reckon because Aldo has looked beatable recently and might start struggling with the weight... He will need a handfull of wins to get a title shot, Anyway I think Maynard and him will probabally want to settle the score.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:25 pm

I want Edgar to stay at LW and Hopefully Aldo moves up soon,then we get another great fighter in a stacked division,instead of taking a great fighter and putting him a shallower pool.

We can have Aldo v Edgar,pettis v cerrone,Diaz vs Benson,Maynard vs Sanchez,Lauzon vs Miller,varner vs guida,Guillard vs Barboza or any combination of those fights,plus there is more talent in the division I've not even mentioned + hopefully we get the additions of melendez and alverez within the not to distant future in the mix.

That gives us fans years of great match ups to enjoy.

MadJick
    MadJick
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  MadJick Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:59 pm

Been a while since I posted on here. I think edgar should drop down and at least challenge aldo, he doesn't have to stay there. But a quick tune up fight against a top contender like mendes which is a very winnable fight, and then a fight against aldo, will be a lot more financially beneficial than having to win 3 or 4 fights which is my opinion what it will take to get another LW title shot. Win or lose against aldo he can jump back up, and if he wins, then he will no doubt get an immediate shot at LW, meaning going down and beating aldo would probably be a quicker run to the belt.
    MadJick
    MadJick
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  MadJick Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:01 pm

oh and one more thing that is going to make me sound like a twat lol but I have noticed it for ages. 'division' is spelt like that Ben. Sorry for being a grammar nazi but it's just something i've noticed you do for ages lol.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:29 pm

MadJick wrote:oh and one more thing that is going to make me sound like a twat lol but I have noticed it for ages. 'division' is spelt like that Ben. Sorry for being a grammar nazi but it's just something i've noticed you do for ages lol.

Cheers Mr spelling police, had the MMA calendar spelled wrong for years too! Im dyslexic... talk about kicking a man when he is down! lol Laughing good to have you back mate.

Edgar said he is staying at 155lbs in his last interview. Reckon coming off a SD loss to a champ he should be allowed to walk into a title shot against Aldo, Fightmatrix got him 2nd still so 2nd ranked Lw getting a shot at 145 makes sence seeing as Koch is his next fight which is a weird one I think.

If he is staying at 155 let him fight Pettis, after the beating Cerrone took against Diaz I dont think a fight with a legit number 1 contender like Pettis is fair. What about Pettis vs Edgar and Cerrone can fight Maynard, im not itching to see a 4th fight between Edgar and Maynard.
    MadJick
    MadJick
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  MadJick Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:58 am

Haha sorry mate Sad
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:16 am

rudeboyben84 wrote:Edgar staying at 155, Bad move I reckon because Aldo has looked beatable recently and might start struggling with the weight... He will need a handfull of wins to get a title shot, Anyway I think Maynard and him will probabally want to settle the score.

When did Aldo looked beatable. He destroyed Hominick til he got tired, still won the fight easy. Beat Florian with ease. And destroyed Mendes with absolute ease.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:08 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    rudeboyben84 wrote:Edgar staying at 155, Bad move I reckon because Aldo has looked beatable recently and might start struggling with the weight... He will need a handfull of wins to get a title shot, Anyway I think Maynard and him will probabally want to settle the score.

When did Aldo looked beatable. He destroyed Hominick til he got tired, still won the fight easy. Beat Florian with ease. And destroyed Mendes with absolute ease.

He looked terrible against Mark Hominick, I dont mean terrible but terrible compared to the Aldo who was wrecking people in WEC.

Not stopping Kflo isnt a knock on him but for a top p4p guy you reckon he might have had him in trobule more, BJ finished him after all. I dont think it was his finest hour...

Its not that Id back Edgar to beat him but when you look at Hominick and Koch as title contenders you could see Edgar moving to 145 and getting a shot or at very least a number 1 contenders fight. I love the Idea of him vs Zombie.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:44 am

He looked terrible in rounds 4 and 5 against Hominick, still won round 4, but for the first 3 rounds he was in great form.

Not his best performance against Florian but Kenny is a lot bigger than him and had a clear plan to just ruin the fight. Aldo still beat him easy though.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:23 am

Aldo wasn't at his best against Kenflo but for me that shows how impressive a fighter he is because he won easily. And he destroyed Mendes in his next fight. Aldo is just about hitting his prime now, I'd love to see him go into a stacked LW division and try and dominate the division there. When he does that I think people will start considering putting him on top of a P4P list.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:10 pm

Edgar has moved to 145, so it looks like he's out of the mix.

I saw somewhere that Maynard v Lauzon was rumoured. Makes sense and would probably be a #1 contender matchup.

Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:10 pm

Yeah that's taking place at UFC 155, good fight, doubt it will be #1 contender as Pettis-Cerrone will be fighting more or less at the same time as that bout and that's the #1 contender bout. Lauzon-Maynard winner may need 1 or 2 more wins after that fight.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:33 pm