THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
rudeboyben84
efils_god
p4pnumber_1
The_Axe_Emperor
Anfields5thKing
9 posters

Rampage gets his wish, times two.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Rampage gets his wish, times two. Empty Rampage gets his wish, times two.

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:22 am

So Rampage has been asking to be released for the last week or two, moaning about this and that and calling for the UFC to release him from his contract and the UFC have no granted his wish.

But not immediately.

You'll remember that when Rampage was asking to fight in Japan on the recent UFC card he initially asked for a specific opponent.

Well in order for the UFC to grant him his latest wish, he had to accept their offer to also be granted his previous wish.

Rampage vs Shogun 2 is on boys and girls.

From MMAFIGHTING.COM

Mar 13, 2012 - Quinton "Rampage" Jackson wants out of the UFC. It looks like he'll get his wish, but not before fulfilling the last fight on his current deal.

According to a report on Tuesday's edition of FUEL TV's "UFC Tonight," Jackson and the UFC have agreed to part ways after Jackson faces Mauricio "Shogun" Rua later this year.

The 33-year-old Jackson (32-10) has previously said on Twitter that he was amenable to taking the last fight on his deal as long as he would be allowed to part ways with the UFC afterward.

If that is the end, it would mark the close of a rocky five-year relationship which began with Jackson's debut win over Marvin Eastman at UFC 67 in Feb. 2007. Just prior to that, Jackson had been fighting in the short-lived WFA, and UFC ownership group Zuffa LLC acquired the company. Later, UFC president Dana White would say that the only reason they bought the promotion was to acquire Jackson's contract.

Jackson went on to win the UFC light-heavyweight championship by beating Chuck Liddell at UFC 71 and defend it against Dan Henderson a few months later before dropping the belt to Forrest Griffin in July 2008.

The next fight would be the 12th in Jackson's UFC tenure, and he currently has a 7-4 record while fighting for the promotion, losing his last two.

No timetable was given for the matchup with Rua, which was reported by Ariel Helwani, but the bout should please Jackson, who has long wanted a rematch stemming from his April 2005 defeat at PRIDE Total Elimination 2005. That was the opening round match of the PRIDE middleweight Grand Prix that made Rua a star, and Rua won in style with a spectacular first-round TKO.

Jackson had a chance to take the rematch in 2011, but turned down the short-notice bout because he felt he didn't have enough time to get into shape and come in at optimal strength. Now, he'll have a chance to win in his last octagon appearance and avenge a bitter defeat at the same time.

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Rampage gets his wish, times two. Empty Re: Rampage gets his wish, times two.

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:36 am

Shogun 1st round TKO
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:45 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:Shogun 1st round TKO

Agreed. Well I hope so anyway. Hope jackson never fights again after, he should stick to movies.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:49 pm

Yeah i've kind of got fed up with Rampage and his whining. He seems to think he is still some sort of big shot and the UFC needs him. They do not, and he's looked terrible in all of his recent fights. For me he was good against Henderson, landed first against Wandy, and has looked anywhere from average to terrible in all his fights post Hendo.

Shogun to KO him, and UFC to release him into fighting oblivion.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:54 pm

There isnt an MMA promotion out there not under the Zuffa banner with interesting Lhw fights for him and I dont think he would move to Hw permanently.

Perhaps as Cw is a weak devision in Boxing he can make a run at that? Kimbo is still getting paid after all and Rampage probabally has the same kind of appeal....

I say Rampage goes on to fight Journeymen boxers. Heres hoping Shogun puts him to sleep again... Rampage has mostly done badly being outgrappled and moaned about it, I cant wait to see Shogun level him with strikes and retire him from MMA.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:27 pm

Depends on what Shogun turns up. if it's the same one that turned up against Jones then even Ramplod could beat him.

If it's the one that fought Forres then Shogun will destroy him.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:13 pm

I think Rampage is probably taking this. Shogun's injuries have taken too great a toll on his speed and defense, and Rampage is a far better boxer. Plus the damage he took against Jones and Henderson, those are the kinds of fights that take something out of a fighter permenantly.

If Shogun can build enough momentum with leg kicks early or score a few takedowns, yeah, he can win, but I'm not banking on it.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:40 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:There isnt an MMA promotion out there not under the Zuffa banner with interesting Lhw fights for him and I dont think he would move to Hw permanently.

Perhaps as Cw is a weak devision in Boxing he can make a run at that? Kimbo is still getting paid after all and Rampage probabally has the same kind of appeal....

I say Rampage goes on to fight Journeymen boxers. Heres hoping Shogun puts him to sleep again... Rampage has mostly done badly being outgrappled and moaned about it, I cant wait to see Shogun level him with strikes and retire him from MMA.

I'll be honest Ben as weak as Crusierweight is the likes of Huck, Olafabi, Hernandez, Cunningham & co would cream him heel I think he would struggle against most of the guys on the regional scene. He could go the Kimbo route which could work knocking out bums building a resume of sorts then maybe get some shot at a novelty belt like a WBF Belt (sorry Audley).

I think Shogun stomps him It will be brutal while It lasts.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:36 pm

i think Shogun that fought forrest was just as bad, honestly he looked bad in that fight despite the 1st round KO.

Both are a shadow of their former selves.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:13 pm

Rampage just tweeted this:

2 keep it real,the Shogun fight will have 2 wait,I just found out that I have 2 get surgery on both knees,but I heal fast don't trip

Looks like we won't be seeing the fight this Summer, not sure if Shogun will fight somebody else or wait until the end of the year when he could probably fight Rampage then.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:55 pm

Shogun is still healing from the Henderson fight, multiple broken bones in his face. He's not cleared to even spar until May at the very earliest.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:08 pm