THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

4 posters

Make or break for Pat Barry this weekend?

wilksdaman
    wilksdaman
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Make or break for Pat Barry this weekend? Empty Make or break for Pat Barry this weekend?

Post  wilksdaman Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:02 pm

Just wondered how everyone thinks this ones gonna go down this weekend? I think Pat's an awesome guy with tonnes of charisma and I'll be routing for him. I'm hoping for an all out war, with Barry getting the better of the standup, but what with Kongo's recent showings, I think this could turn in to an ugly stalemate. Whilst I'm not entirely familiar with Barry's TDD, apparently its not too good, is Kongo likely to be able to end the fight if he gets Pat down?
    Also, do you think Pat is ever likely to string together some back to back heavyweight wins? I knows he's relatively knew to the sport, and still reasonably young - but I would like to think if he could showcase some improved well-roundedness this weekend and beat Kongo decisively, it would do his confidence (which I know he doesn't exactly lack!) wonders and we could make see him make a half decent run towards the upper echelon of the HW division. Maybe I'm being deluded.
    What do you think happens if he loses? Hes such a likeable guy and always seems to bring the fight.

Oh, and he's been working on his wrestling with Cole Konrad. Guess that's only gotta be a good thing!!

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Make or break for Pat Barry this weekend? Empty Re: Make or break for Pat Barry this weekend?

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:19 pm

Barry has much better stand up than Kongo, who's stand up is really not that great. However Kongo will try to push Barry against cage and work the knees to the balls and go for takedowns, i see it going similar to Buentello fight, where paul just couldnt get anything going because he was on his back the whole time.

But we have yet to see how Barry ground game and wrestling has improved now that he's training at deathclutch. Working with the likes of Brock, Konrad, Madsen, Paulson, Comprido, Matty Morgan etc...... He surely had to have picked up a few things.

I personally hope he gives Kongo and ass kicking tomorrow night. But can see Kongo UD or late stoppage. Dont think Kongo's sub game is that much better than Barry's.

wilksdaman
    wilksdaman
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Make or break for Pat Barry this weekend? Empty Re: Make or break for Pat Barry this weekend?

Post  wilksdaman Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:51 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:

I personally hope he gives Kongo and ass kicking tomorrow night. But can see Kongo UD or late stoppage. Dont think Kongo's sub game is that much better than Barry's.

Hope you're wrong! afro
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:08 pm

I want Barry to win,he's a fun character who can be great to watch if he's allowed to let fire with his striking game,but for as how i think the fight will go,I have to agree with Meanie,i just can't see it going well for barry.

Barry is to one dimensional and his takedown defence is poor,(while Kongo has a good enough wrestling game to take alot of HW's down,especially guys that are that much smaller than him)and forget about Barry's ground game,he doesn't have one,he's a HW Manhoef.

Kongo IMO will stifle barry from the start,by clinching,shoving him up against the cage and trying to get him down,there will be no clean strikes standing just close shots and knees from the clinch.

The size difference is going to be huge,so barry does not want Kongo getting on top of him and unleashing some GNP.

I think Kongo takes Barry down and GNP's Barry out late in the first or at some time during the second personally.

But I would love to be wrong.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:46 pm

I really want Barry to win. He is so exciting to watch, has great stand up and is a generally nice guy. Kongo on the other hand is the biggest cheater in MMA and has always been overrated.

IMO Barry has much better stand up, Kongo couldn't last 60 seconds on the feet against Frank Mir, Barry would own him standing. However Kongo is a big dude and has just about enough wrestling skill (and cheating methods) to take Barry down and GnP him. I just hope training with death clutch has given Barry enough take down defense to stop getting taken down and keep the fight standing.

I really want Barry to win.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:30 pm